Give good reasons why dynamic typing is bad that aren't

Give good reasons why dynamic typing is bad that aren't

1.autistic need to be close to the machine
2. A solved problem in at least one dynamic language
3. Self hatred

Attached: 1_LORRgjX9DCW3_h4RCY6JIQ.jpg (1500x988, 1.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.racket-lang.org/ts-guide/
evanfarrer.blogspot.ie/2012/06/unit-testing-isnt-enough-you-need.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck dynamic programming
Use
C

Catch more error at build time.

/thread

Now on the other hand, there are little reasons why dynamic typing is good.

>A solved problem in at least one dynamic language by adding static typing when it matters.
That is what it comes down to, OP.

muh lisp

Well, also Julia and all viable JS painkillers. And Python. And probably more.

Whoops, thought you responded to In any case, see

I actually can't think of any at the moment.

You can have lists of arbitrary objects in any modern statically typed language, if that's what you're talking about.

lisp is the best language ever

>needing to build your code before you run it
>not loading it right away and analyzing it in a background process while it runs

Sure, but consider the following: docs.racket-lang.org/ts-guide/

i dont associate myself with racket garbage. You're a fucking retard. Thats not lisp

Bolting static typing on top of a dynamically typed language isn't an argument for dynamic typing.

If you assume "static typing" to be at least as capable as Standard ML or Haskell, then dynamic typing isn't necessarily bad, it just leaves some bugs in your software. It depends on your requirements/market whether this is a big problem or not.

Oh and since discussions like this always attract Lisp fans, you can have statically typed Lisp too. I quite like Shen myself.

evanfarrer.blogspot.ie/2012/06/unit-testing-isnt-enough-you-need.html

simpler polymorphism

Barely.

should i learn standard ml?

>turns out the lisp advocate is an autist
Every time. I really don't know why I bother.

Attached: 1499432234331.jpg (736x550, 135K)

what the fuck do you have against lisp

Test

Probably not.

why

Why would you want to learn SML? If you really like learning new languages or are interested in theorem proving or whatever, it might be a worthwhile pursuit. Since you're asking an Indonesian cargo cult historiography forum about it, though, we can assume neither of those is true.
You are more likely interested in what side benefits learning SML could get you. Maybe you think it'll look good on your CV or make you a better programmer in the same way learning Haskell or Lisp does.
However, SML is suboptimal for these purposes, because we live in a world that contains OCaml: a similar language, with a similar type system, that looks much better on a CV and will make you a better programmer in the same way learning Haskell or Lisp would.

i'm too dumb for haskell and lisp.

>why dynamic typing is bad
Dynamic typing is just unbounded polymorphism. I want polymorphism. It's good. But I don't want it to be mandatory in all parts of my code. Sometimes I need my code to run faster. Sometimes I want the language to enforce my invariants so I don't have to express them as tests. If I have to write code without access to these abilities, my program will be more expensive to run and maintain.