What Jow Forums think about Mate and Ubuntu Mate? It had any positive point against XFCE?

What Jow Forums think about Mate and Ubuntu Mate? It had any positive point against XFCE?

Attached: 04_DESKTOP.png (1024x768, 657K)

Apparently they implemented a panel layout named "Mutiny" for Unity refugees. That's a nice touch in my opinion.

It has more features and is not abandonware like XFCE.

This. I like the idea of Xfce but nobody can defend the slow-as-fuck development of it.

Is it as lightweight as xfce?

Mate isn't as configurable as XFCE. Or at least that's why I moved back to XFCE soon after trying Mate.

change is generally a bad thing

Well, this pretty ok if aren't rice the interface.

Anything *buntu is a fag version of GNU/Linux.

Another DE with redundant menu bars everywhere

It's my daily driver for the moment. Works pretty well. Decently customizeable. I'm using it until the Mint devs can fix the memory issues with Cinnamon. My only gripe is it's kind of weirdly unspecific on how to customize some things especially panels.

cinnamon is better

Not if you like your RAM

The faggot in charge wants to basically change it to elementary os.

For me, the biggest problems of mate is the default themes are pretty bad. But it is wonderful if compare to others options.

Why do you say that?

when is 18.04 released?
17.10 has tons of nuisances, though it runs adequately on my ancient 1gb ram Vista machine, the global menu/HUD services are constantly chrashing and restarting, animations can't be disabled if you run any compositor, and there is a noticeable lag to open applications even on a fast computer.
what's worse is the preinstalled bloatware like mate-welcome runs incredibly poorly, crashing or leaving my system hanging, which gives a negative impression long after it's uninstalled.
cinnamon by contrast runs as well or better on the same system, and doesn't feel the need to use webapps for crap the way mate does.
so far my complaints have been limited to umuntu mate specifically, but I have to not that I despise mate panels configuration settings window which is really gimped and inferior in function compared to it's equivalent in xfce
in my experience the default theme is the only one that works, otherwise text is faded out and without contrast, and random icons are fuckhuge or look out of place because they mix and match between incomplete icon sets.
the problem seems to be an artifact of the transition between gtk2 (which mate has broken it's support for) and gtk3 (which any themes you try are designed for)

a few years back, when I tried fedora mate, it offered one of the best desktops around, however the recent updates have caused all sorts of regressions, where I can no longer recommend it. xfce and lxqt are at this point better options.

Easy enough to install numix

MATE manages to be uglier than Cinnamon.

I disagree, cinnamon is an abomination of semitransparent floating rounded blobs and broken applets; mate only looks a little dated.

April 26 (Ubuntu LTS 18.04)
I'm not sure though if *buntu LTS are on the same date

Looks can be fixed.
The broken spaguetti code that is cinnamon can't.

Mate is the peak of PC GUI, all other are substandard or a shitty excuse to use up memory.

Ubuntu is not that great, though.

heh.
Sort of had the luster taken out by Ubuntu Unity Edition though.

May 26 anyway, since you always leave it a month after LTS release for bugs that only wide release can find get ironed out.