/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/5XrUEbBK

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: 1502240334748.png (1275x1131, 1.54M)

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd660s-finally-a-successor-for-the-hd650.862308/page-29#post-13805367
youtube.com/watch?v=mM2Cb0De1Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=VvTSLRab7Kg
headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: 82AE53B8-4525-4BA5-B3EC-CB39F775F643.jpg (1343x1714, 601K)

Glomf

>1more triple driver over ear arriving today
Lemme get some of that passive radiator goodness

Attached: kagawa_life.jpg (1920x1080, 121K)

Why do people rave on about how great the MDR V6's are? They are so harsh in the treble and they have a very thin sound.

The more headphones you're aware of, the harder the choice.

Attached: 1522596289739.jpg (750x737, 99K)

until your buy them and realize the difference in sound isnt even that big from pair to pair and you just move on to the speaker world

Alternative you look for new ones and during the search you realize your current ones are already incredibly close to what you want.

Best neutral sound signature headphones under $150?

what part of the head should the headband touch

chin

THE SKULL

Too bad you're not in Europe because you could get the K702's.

The feet

>Budget
500-800 USD
>Location
United States
>Source
Phone or computer
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
As long as it sounds good.
>Sound signature
Heavy base, clean high and mids
>Past headphones
Ultrasone Pro 900, looking for something one or 2 steps above that

Attached: dCprQ86.jpg (760x1013, 43K)

skin

dt1770 ;3

Has anyone heard anything about the new topping amps? I heard they were working on new ones in response to people's complaints about their current ones having a 10ohm oi.
I think these are going to be awesome. Unique driver, fun bass heavy sound which is good for portables, etc. I'd get a pair because IEMs suck.

Attached: thethree.jpg (2290x1287, 1.24M)

Just realized that for some reason a couple of cans are much cheaper (and by cheaper I mean less overpriced) on amazon.co.uk than in continental Europe. For example HE-400i suddenly only 207€ instead of 339€. Let's see if I can find any others that would be grossly overpriced here.

Attached: 1500416404595.gif (139x211, 371K)

Does it even make a difference whether most of the impulse response occurs at 0.0002 seconds or 0.0004 seconds?

>HE-400i
not worth a single euro though

I said 1 or 2 steps above my ultrasone 900

>Heavy base
Typical ultrasone drooling tard. Can't even spell bass.

If you're interested in orthos the cheapest decent one is going to be a used he500, they go as low as $300 on headfi and ebay and as high as $450. I don't think it makes any sense to buy a he400i over the hd6xx(plenty second hand available right now) or even the hd600, dt880, k612,etc unless you have a very specific reason to.
The hd6xx for example is better at a larger amount of genres but the ones it's bad at it's very bad at and those are the same genres planars excel at. Stuff like the new 80's synthwave music and drum and bass, anything with lots of subbass, the he400i would be better for but you're sacrificing a lot in the other genres.
Unless that's literally all you listen, or is what you care the most about, to I would hard pass on an he400i and if it is your favorite music then still just get up enough cash for a he500.

>ortho
The hell you're talking about? You mean planars? I'm actually thinking about modding a Mk3, it seems simply enough, but with such a weak base I doubt you'd achieve great things unless you knew exactly what you were doing. Otherwise you'll just end up with a planar still sounding worse than comparably priced dynamics.

Also I'd have to import the HD6xx from Murrika with shit tons of fees and taxes, simply not worth it, and I already own Sennheisers, but they're old and opinions are sparse and I'm not sure whether they're a good suit for my listening habits, or better suited to other uses and genres.

first for hd650

Attached: Jean–Luc_Godard.jpg (580x436, 62K)

>2018
>planars
*ortho wall blocks your path*

ORTHO IS JUST A MARKETING TERM RREEEEE

>Stuff like the new 80's synthwave music and drum and bass, anything with lots of subbass, the he400i would be better
Flat bass is such a fucking meme. Get yourself a decent closed dyna and listen to said music then talk again about the superiority of bass impact of your planars.

What are the main differences between the HD6XX and the 600's? I'm heavily considering getting it but I want something neutral with more of a bass presence. Is the 6XX the right choice?

Prefer planar

Attached: 5b42d72ef3e30f3b7fac0ad89fada8cb.jpg (2287x1282, 1.55M)

Does wearing headphones become more or less comfortable once you're fully bald?

>Is the 6XX the right choice?
Yes
You actually feel the HE500 has more bass impact than the thx00?

who gives a shit? it's not like yamaha is still profiting from it, you fucking worthless autist

It doesn't have more impact, no, it just has superior bass all around.

Well, are you calling all offroaders Jeeps? All vacuums Hoovers? All tissues Kleenex? All colas Coke? All burger joints McDonalds? Because that's exactly what it's like.

>he doesn't call all tissues kleenex

Dt240

HD6xx is literally a shittier cheaper made version of the hd650.

>Budget
700-1000 USD
>Location
Burgerland
>Source
Computer w/ Fiio E10K and a Schitt Uber 2 amp
>Type of headphone
Over ear planar magnetic
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
High, I wear glasses
>Sound signature
As flat as possible. I hate niggerbass.
>Past headphones
HD600, Meze Classics 99, some sub $100 items, etc.

Attached: 291.jpg (610x885, 148K)

yikes

>schiit
>hd600
Y I K E R S

>schiit
>fiio
>planar
>"flat" headphones
>hd600
>meze
how many memes can one man fall for

hey now fiio is ok

>planar
>meme

No user, it’s only cheaper because they are the same. They didn’t cut every corner to meet a price point, they simply enhanced the production process. That’s why they still produce and sell the hd650 and hd600. Because they are obsolete now. Wait...

>killer deals on special editions of headphones created just for them
Why are the fucking Americans getting all the good things again?

Attached: 1487456999710.jpg (652x652, 27K)

Don't complain, you can get X2s for half the price we do.

>Budget
£100 can go up to £150 for something amazing or durable (removeable wires)
>Location
UK
>Source
Note 8 and Laptop
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Normal, I only plan on using this for an hour or so each time.
>Sound signature
V shaped, with emphasis on clarity.
>Past headphones
Soundmagic E10C, 1More triple driver, AKG 550.

HD600, 650, 6xx and 660S literally have the same build, with very minor differences being : the paint job, the grill and a temporary difference : the earpads which are different on the 660S but will trickle down on the rest of the series because Sennheiser has said they will discontinue the old style 6x0 pad and will only sell the new ones (any old 6x0 pad you find on the market is just old stock that's going to take a while to get rid of).
head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd660s-finally-a-successor-for-the-hd650.862308/page-29#post-13805367
>Edit: the replacement pads for the HD 660 S and HD 650, HD 600 headphones all have the same part number going forward.

The massdrop 6XX look "cheaper" visually because they use an horrifying color on their paint job. The plastic is the same.

>6xx truly shows how awful the 600 series builds
Wew.

And K712, and K812, and AH-D7200. But all of those have competitors cheaply available in the US. I mean, who the fuck buys K812 regardless of whether they're 1500 bucks or 800 bucks?

I'm trying to graduate from the memes, help me out here.

hd558

then get speakers

>t. sub $100 plantronics owners

HD800, speakers, stax

planars are shit

I own X2 and m40x
you mad soyboy?

yikes

Kek poorfag

Someone doesn't understand the economy of scale, not to mention how being online only and having people pay before the product is made makes the process cheaper

this
6XX is cheaper because massdrop submits orders that are 100% sellthrough with little to no personnel overhead

same as hd600

>Someone doesn't understand the economy of scale, not to mention how being online only and having people pay before the product is made makes the process cheaper
Economy of scale contributes but there's also the fact that the profit margin in making this is pretty fucking high to begin with so Sennheiser can afford to cut the price down by a lot and still make some money out of it.
The HD6x0 series uses a COMPLETELY TOOL-LESS assembly process. The vast majority of the components are made of plastic except for the two metal headband extensions.
youtube.com/watch?v=mM2Cb0De1Y8
The only thing that cost any money in the process is really just the driver. Everything else is made of plastic components that can be assembled into a complete headphone in a record amount of time.

Why are planars shit? Also why Hd800? I can also get HD800S for $1144.95 USD is that a good deal?

>and having people pay before the product is made makes the process cheaper
That part in particular only gives higher profit security and therefore less risk calculated into in the profit margin.

I'm shopping for something 700-1000+, you can shove that argument up your ass.

youre gonna fall for another meme i guarantee it

>That part in particular only gives higher profit security and therefore less risk calculated into in the profit margin.
That means massdrop can reduce the price further while keeping the same profit margin as they pay less for insurance

>being a poorfag
>"m-m-memes I tell you! Memes!"

>I hate niggerbass.
>Meze Classics 99

Attached: raugh.png (1068x1365, 706K)

that’s a pretty good deal. New or used?

You can find them new on the grey market for those prices.

>I'm shopping for something 700-1000+

Attached: 1 - iTh5iLj.jpg (1152x2048, 223K)

New. I work in the corporate part of Best Buy so I get the same discounts the blueshirt labor dogs get as well.

Those were a gift, I didn't complain about receiving them. They fucking pull my hair out every time I wear them though.

Attached: Screenshot_20180410-140510_Best Buy.jpg (1440x2960, 529K)

makes sense. I’d go for it? where btw? I already have my HD800 but would like it for reccing to others

What do you mean? I'm happy with my pairs 1 open 1 closed.
You're not. You're the one wanting an upgrade. Pro tip: there is none. Just get speakers and don't make yourself disappointed again.
>"b-but muh moneiis"
shove it up ur ass i couldnt give more of a shit

yeah buy it. That’s a great price

>evangelizing speakers
>in a headphone general

Attached: 1518065296346.png (1280x720, 703K)

Your only argument here is literally quoting "MEMES" without an explanation or review. What else do you want me to criticize you for?

Dont tell me I didn't warn you.

Cool, should I stick with the Schitt Uber 2 that I have or get a more powerful amp?

Stick up your ass

should be fine

The best part is this is gen z user and he doesn't actually own speakers. He is upset yet again because mummy refused to bump his allowance.

let's see that setup big boi

Attached: 15 - GMkyVpi.jpg (1320x2560, 279K)

s-sorry senpai well these are basically speakers so

*kicks those boxes*

>The best part is this is gen z user
What? Gen Z user is a HD800+Benchmark DAC owner. At least that was his shtick before. While this guy said he had X2+m40x. (lol m40x)

He's the M40X owner with hot opinions on shit he's never owned. I think. I can just smell the regret of not getting Takstars instead.

no man youre replying to the guy that calls everyone gen z even in that comment he called me gen z
hello there fatty
I got m40x locally no takstars and no I don't regret them

theodore clean your room, specifically that glass tabletop

Attached: enoff.jpg (316x202, 30K)

So you are, kek.

Attached: E6B0FC7514BB4EDABA13D08AB7C8526B.jpg (700x740, 138K)

waiting for my $200 dac amp combo to come and running my new hd 600 off my fiio q1 for now and... it sounds fine? did i just get memed? it sounds practically identical to when i was running them off my friend's spendy amp a few days ago

youtube.com/watch?v=VvTSLRab7Kg

>fiio q1
More than enough to power the HD600. Buy a balanced cable if you want slightly more power from it.
I'm of the opinion that nobody really needs a whole desktop DAC/amp combo unless they have at least planars. The Sabaj DA2 can power the HD800 easily, DA3 with the balanced out could probably power Audeze LCDs.

A balanced cable for an HD800 costs like a zillion dollars though

Build it yourself ! Much cheaper and you can even make it look as pretty as you want.
Though the HD800 doesn't even need a balanced cable to be powered from those cheap DAC dongles. People really overestimate the amount of power headphones need, it's more about the amp having low impedance and not having weird ass FR/distortion change on loads than anything else.

headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/
This website is pretty cool to check the power required by headphones. Pay close attention to the loudness thing.

>People really overestimate the amount of power headphones need
haha right? it's not like you need power to bass boo...

Attached: iamretarded.jpg (640x720, 109K)

Your statement might be true for planars with their signature heavy load, but for dynamics you don't need incredible amount of power. At the very least the gear I quoted has enough juice to make it work. Not saying you can power these out of your onboard or likewise, that's plain stupid, but cheap devices these days really make no difference compared to the usual amplifiers sound-wise.