/mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros

>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS
>Meme minimal
Crux, Void, GuixSD, FreeBSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Arch Linux, Debian (netinst)

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: 1523328686682.jpg (864x576, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LpgddDKoR_8?t=28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck my gay life

Attached: flat 800x800 075 f.jpg (800x732, 65K)

Is bash bad or bloat? Why? What is a good alternative?

What is the most minimalist editor?

ed

Attached: 1490853257616.png (1048x1024, 214K)

Isn't a line editor inconvenient?

jed

Attached: 2013-02-08-solo-2150-jed.png (1024x768, 21K)

mksh

sell me on it

convenience is harmful

§r bloat

Is it possible to view more than one line even if I can only edit one line at a time?

mksh, dash or ash
this

yes you can print all lines

>dash, or ash
Don't use those as an interactive shell.
That's just retarded

How?

It's, uhh, pretty nice. Do you remember the old DOS text editors? Jed is kind of like those. It can emulate Emacs and WordStar and some other stuff.
Umm, it's, like, mostly meant for prose, I guess? But also does TeX and code highlighting and, um, things. And it has, like, mouse support...
And it's really lightweight, as in, if I remember right, it's much lighter than vim, so, er... you can run it on anything.

Attached: 1505549682820.png (586x404, 12K)

ed works like sed, so things like 1,$p will work like it does in sed.

PowerShell

Attached: 1498215087071.png (709x439, 136K)

Should I use less along with sed, gawk, and ed?

I don't see how this illustrates anything other than you didn't set any flags on ls

Jesus, dude, just use vi if you really want muh minimalism. Don't torture yourself.

vis

>G(nu)awk
BLOAT

What's a nice systemd-less rolling release distro? Precompiled packages preferred.
I use arch btw, I want to get rid of systemd bloat.

void

The output of dir (Get-ChildItem actually) is a table that you can query and alter using various commands. It's structured data, not text. You can, for instance, trivially sort it by any field - filename, file path, dates, probably even permissions - using trivial commands instead of obscure command-specific flags. You can pick part of it and pass it to any other command that understands tables. And so on.
I think that's what the image was trying to illustrate. It's not mine, so, whatever.

OwO

Attached: voidowo.jpg (2560x1600, 1.11M)

In other words
OBJECT
ORIENTED
SHELL

Attached: indian-programmer.jpg (448x336, 89K)

>running it in a VM
BLOAT

Yes. If it wasn't based on botNET it would be the most minimalist shell in existence.

I know this is the wrong place to say this, but minimal or not the bourne shell and every incarnation approximating it were fucking mistake

Attached: 1514314569065.png (1280x903, 765K)

vi is just a minimal as ed is

What is the difference between file browsers and managers ?

Attached: 1.png (789x224, 18K)

File browsers let you browse files.
File managers let you browse and manage files.

Well i checked nnn features and it seems like it's way more robust than mc, so something is off.

Well, then ignore the list. It was probably written by some autist anyway. Pick the software you like best.

lrn2unix

any multi column output | sort -k [column number]

his example was bad, but the structured data concept is actually pretty great. It is, however, probably far from minimal.

That goes completely against the UNIX philosophy.

Emacs is so bloated what's the point of using it?

(1/2)
While we're talking about shells, here's some info about the Rust shell. It's Unix-like, but deviates from POSIX in order achieve its goals.

>Introduction
Ion is a modern system shell that features a simple, yet powerful, syntax. It is written entirely in Rust, which greatly increases the overall quality and security of the shell, eliminating the possibilities of a ShellShock-like vulnerability, and making development easier. It also offers a level of performance that exceeds that of Dash, when taking advantage of Ion's features. While it is developed alongside, and primarily for, RedoxOS, it is a fully capable on other *nix platforms, and we are currently searching for a Windows developer to port it to Windows.

>Goals
Syntax and feature decisions for Ion are made based upon three measurements: is the feature useful, is it simple to use, and will it's implementation be efficient to parse and execute? A feature is considered useful if there's a valid use case for it, in the concept of a shell language. The syntax for the feature should be simple for a human to read and write, with extra emphasis on readability, given that most time is spent reading scripts than writing them. The implementation should require minimal to zero heap allocations, and be implemented in a manner that requires minimal CPU cycles (so long as it's also fully documented and easy to maintain!).

It should also be taken into consideration that shells operate entirely upon strings, and therefore should be fully equipped for all manner of string manipulation capabilities. That means that users of a shell should not immediately need to grasp for tools like cut, sed, and awk. Ion offers a great deal of control over slicing and manipulating text. Arrays are treated as first class variables with their own unique @ sigil. Strings are also treated as first class variables with their own unique $ sigil. Both support being sliced with [range], and they each have their own supply of methods.

>Rust
stopped reading there

(2/2)

>Why Not POSIX?
If Ion had to follow POSIX specifications, it wouldn't be half the shell that it is today, and there'd be no solid reason to use Ion over any other existing shell, given that it'd basically be the same as every other POSIX shell. Redox OS itself doesn't follow POSIX specifications, and neither does it require a POSIX shell for developing Redox's userspace. It's therefore not meant to be used as a drop-in replacement for Dash or Bash. You should retain Dash/Bash on your system for execution of Dash/Bash scripts, but you're free to write new scripts for Ion, or use Ion as the interactive shell for your user session. Redox OS, for example, also contains Dash for compatibility with software that depends on POSIX scripts.

That said, Ion's foundations are heavily inspired by POSIX shell syntax. If you have experience with POSIX shells, then you already have a good idea of how most of Ion's core features operate. A quick sprint through this documentation will bring you up to speed on the differences between our shell and POSIX shells. Namely, we carry a lot of the same operators: $, |, ||, &, &&, >,

yes, it pretty much does. Although I have seen people even argue that Emacs does not go against the UNIX philosophy when you consider it as a microcosm in itself with every component being an independent program. Which IS an interesting perspective.

>churning through a fuckload of text just to do a sort

Yes, it absolutely does not respect the Unix philosophy. It wasn't even built with Unix in mind. That's not really a good reason to dismiss it or its ideas.

Why isn't nano considered minimalist?

It does one thing fundamentally right: More often than not when facing a problem you don't click a solution, you don't edit the solution into a config file, you don't apply an external workaround to the problem, you *program* the solution.

>
>when you consider it as a microcosm in itself with every component being an independent program.
So is running a Windows VM.

>churning through a fuckload of text just to do a sort
What?

>That's not really a good reason to dismiss it or its ideas.
But it makes it wrong to dismiss UNIX shells like bash for being a UNIX shell and not being PowerShell.

>Why isn't nano considered minimalist?
It is, re-read OP specifically ALTERNATIVES.MD

Yeah I get that it's a meme language, but what do you think of their ideas?

>14 posters
>48 posters
fuck my gay life

Didn't read since it came after "rust"

That is a bit of an unfair comparison considering how modular emacs is and how monolithic windows, but I get your point. It's a perverse stretch of the definition, yes.

51 replies*

alt+b

try it

oh no, people are engaging in conversation!

larger than more useful editors like zile

ah, the OP looks beautiful and clean

Daily reminder to use dwm

see vid related. dwm in action
youtu.be/LpgddDKoR_8?t=28
0:29

>zile
vi is the only editor you'll ever need

Is he drunk?

Who knows, he's british

nano is minimal CUNT

>encourages newbs to install broken systems
>encourages GNU's to switch to BSD fir meme reasons
>encourages to run container distros on the desktop, introducing a new community of /sqt/ help: man doesn't work
>spreads hate against gnu
>spreads hate against any developers developing complete DE's or simliar complete works
>spreads hate on linux being bloated
>spreads disinformation (use zsh because no gnu bloat)
>content if these threads is 50% ironic and 50% unironic memes without ant value
Fuck your thread. It's cancer. Questions on mininal? Ask fglt. Kill your threads right now. Don't create it again.

Don't forget the "systemd is NSA botnet" braindeads. This especially triggers my autisms. It tirns any botnet claim on Jow Forums into a joke.

*turns

t. butthurt gnutard ehi can't accept that people are moving away from gnu

Even if it isn't a botnet, its shit anyway.
Literally no reason for it existing.
The ONLY argument poettering has for this bloated piece of garbage to exist is that literal retards (as in actually disabled people) can start linux.
Not use linux, but start it. So that they can use retard-help tools in their login screen.
This is why everyone needs millions of lines of bloat.

>>encourages newbs to install broken systems
everytime a noob comes here, i tell him to install
xubuntu

faggot

Guys, which is hardware bloat? Routers or modems

i've used w7 since forever, but i finally want to get into linux. what's a good distro for beginners but is also fairly minimal?

xubuntu
now fuck off

GNU a shit.
Doesn't even have an info page on how to get a life, so your post could be avoided.

Ok I'm one of the original OPs (the OwO one), and everything you just said is wrong!
>encourages newbs to install broken systems
Usually they get pointed to Xubuntu. We used to have a thing in the OP post saying not to bother with this thread if you're not an expert at the command line and at GNU/Linux, but I took it out because people were complaining about it being too elitist, mean, and autistic.
>encourages GNU's to switch to BSD fir meme reasons
No. We're not pro- or anti-BSD or GNU. Those were simply added as an option. More often than not, the suggestions made in posts tend to be the old classic "install gentoo", or "install alpine" or whatever. Most don't even bring up BSD aside from the occasional praise for OpenBSD.
>encourages to run container distros on the desktop, introducing a new community of /sqt/ help: man doesn't work
You're talking about alpine? I'm not super familiar with that one, but afaik there's docs packages that provide the manpages.
>spreads hate against gnu
Honestly it's more like a love/hate relationship. There are certainly more /minimal/ options out there, but of course there may be some programs that depend on GNU's extensions, so it might not be feasible to move to a Musl distro. It's not like it's that big of a deal though. I am happily on a glibc void install.
>spreads hate against any developers developing complete DE's or simliar complete works
never. we just don't want to use them. And there does appear to be a bit of appreciation here for XFCE and LXQT.
>spreads hate on linux being bloated
fake news
>spreads disinformation (use zsh because no gnu bloat)
zsh is (somehow) more bloat that bash. mksh, dash, and busybox ash are the three commonly shilled shells, with my fave being mksh.
>content if these threads is 50% ironic and 50% unironic memes without ant value
welcome to Jow Forums.

Attached: owo.png (900x1252, 511K)

Lubuntu would also be a solid pick

>but I took it out because people were complaining about it being too elitist, mean, and autistic.

No you cunt, I TOOK IT OUT

I did too! >_

fine ur right

WAIT NO, I took it out fag. REEEEEE
You just followed my lead

>zsh more bloat

zsh installed size is 2.1MB, bash is 5.8MB on Debian.

look at the chart fag

Attached: minilo.png (700x2000, 164K)

guise stop fighting!
*hugs*
compare their resource usage in htop.

What chart?

2760 vs 2924
pretty much the same

Install Gentoo

Is JACK minimal?

Hello. I have a couple of questions. Please be civil.

Is Vim really bloated?

I've looked through its source code and it seems it has a lot of legacy stuff - mainly support for some obscure systems that nobody uses and so on. Should it be of concern? Despite this, I've never had any problems with it, no crashes, no bugs.

Regardless, can I compile Vim myself only for my platform?

If no, are there any "unbloated" forks of Vim with plugin compatibility?

Use neovim.

Code for other platforms is obviously not compiled into your build.

You can also disable most of VIMs feature at build time.
On a lot of distros minimal VIM builds are used for a basic vi
Most of the space VIM takes up is used for optional run time files, like syntax definitions, spell dictionaries, help files, etc..

Micro emacs with your own patches

Hi guys I want to set up a system without X or wayland.
I want to install ffmpeg, but the arch linux package is pulling in wayland. Is wayland actually required for ffmpeg and if not how can I get ffmpeg without installing it

install gentoo and set no wayland support in the USE flags

source-based distribution would be a nightmare on the computer I'm doing this on

distcc

fine goddammit
I just finished installing gentoo on my desktop though
why do i do this to myself

Hello. I'm having trouble building i3-gaps on debian. I followed every step from the wiki page until the make command.
When I use "make" command I get:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
And when I check the build directory there is nothing but config.log. What was my mistake?