/spg/ - Smartphone General

死神のテスタメント ~menuet of epistula~ edition.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Recent News:
>Piper Jaffray survey finds that 82% of teens own an Apple iPhone
phonearena.com/news/piper-jaffray-teen-survey-shows-growth-in-iPhone-use_id103962

>Instagram introduces new portrait mode & mention sticker in Stories
phonearena.com/news/Instagram-introduces-focus-to-stories_id103964

>Google Assistant rolling out to the Google Pixel C
xda-developers.com/google-assistant-rolling-out-to-the-google-pixel-c/

>Android P may bring wallpaper support to the Google Pixel 2/2 XL’s Always on Display
xda-developers.com/google-pixel-2-always-on-display-wallpaper-android-p/

Previous →

Attached: 1512406442841.jpg (2560x1440, 1.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VERfODYHX3g
bigota.d.miui.com/8.4.10/miui_MIMIX2SGlobal_8.4.10_a594901e31_8.0.zip
gadgets.ndtv.com/honor-9-lite-4561-vs-nokia-6-2018-4551
youtube.com/watch?v=Qrlo3Dbr7YI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DEATH TO ANIME!

Also, who /Sharp Aquos S2/ here?

anime website
also
>shinigami no testament
>anime

6+ years later and it just works.

Attached: iphone-4S-56a5363f3df78cf77286f4c9.jpg (768x1030, 97K)

Why are the most attractive phones never also the best value or even best high-end? Pls no samshit or phablets. You look like an idiot.

Should I buy the mi mix 2s from aliexpress? It's seems like they are selling them with the chinese rom? Language only english and chinese.

Would it be easy to flash the international rom after they release it?
It's a pain in the ass to wait till summer to xiaomi star selling them outside China, and I need a new phone now.

Attached: img-7.jpg (1457x1279, 280K)

HTC U Ultra for 245e
Honor 9 for 295e
Nokia 8 for 315e

Which one should I get (no other options)?

Their new Black Shark phone is supposedly going to targeted towards western markets, I would wait until that.

That is ridiculous though. 120hz oled with 8gb of ram. Will cost at least 1k.

should be easy to flash

Fuck did I do to my phone?

>pic related is me scribbling bottom to top, then top to bottom on the entire screen.

LG Optimus Pro, like a 5 year old phone.

Attached: 2018-04-10-16-08-07.png (1079x1919, 603K)

youtu.be/VERfODYHX3g

I'm looking to downsize. My last and current phone have both been plus-sized (Samsung Note 5 and Huawei Honor 6x). It's taken me 3+ years to realize that even for large-handed people like me, phablets are more inconvenient than we realize and the manlet meme is just that- a meme. So please give me buying advice so a regular-sized phone.
>North America
>At&T
>No price limit but, why pay more if you don't have to.
>No iPhone
>I like the design of Sony phones but hate the large bezels. Less bezel the better. I hate the notch. No notch.
So, what is the best regular-sized phone that fits this description?

embrace the notch

do the redmi 5 plus always come with screen protector applied to it? I've seen few sellers advertising it

Just ordered an LG V20, mostly for the quad-DAC and cameras. So hype

Attached: DaW7PqgVMAAeQ6N.jpg (800x1200, 155K)

Common issue with older LG Optimus flagships, sorry mate. Happens to OG, OGP, G2, G3 too.

is there any way to get MIUI status icons for lineageOS?
I just switched from MIUI to LineageOS and it looks like shit. Also, it doesn't tell me when the wireless cable has low battery. When I used MIUI, it went red when the battery was low, so I just switch to the regular cable for the KZ ZS6 and be fine, but now I have to guess when it will turn off.

>bootloops

elaborate

How is the Sony XA2?

The Nokia has the better chipset and better/longer software support. I'd go for that one if it were me.

Can you actually break your phone to the point that it can never be fixed while flashing? I'm kinda worried since I've never tried doing this shit before and I'm too poor to buy a new one if I fuck up.

What would be a good phone to upgrade to from 6P? The screen on mine cracked and I'm going to fix it but I'm also just wondering if there are any phones now worth upgrading to

I was sold a contract plan of 12 months by my ISP when I asked for a no lock in, month by month basis plan. I got this a few months ago because 2018 was going to have alot of great smartphone releases and I wanted to be able to shop around.

Getting out of the contract will cost me about $200 USD, how do I get out of paying for breaking the contract without the salesperson telling me to fuck off?

Attached: 1520912593331.jpg (744x619, 63K)

You definitely can. Very unlikely tho.

Can i expect my xiaomi m1 to be compatible with a usb c dock? (Hdmi, USB,etc)

if you can find your firmware on firmwarecenter my understanding is most of any issues you can possibly run into can be unbricked by reflashing the latest firmware via pc

Thoughts on the Moto Z2 Play? Thinking about upgrading my Nexus 6p to it.

assuming 64 GB dual SIM, 140 dollars more than the G5 plus is currently on Amazon plus a free battery mod. You get moto mods, AMOLED on a .3 inch larger screen (you can see the sensors on the G5 plus IPS, not sure how they are on the AMOLED), NFC, USB-C,laser focus main camera, front flash, and a high lotto CPU/overclocked SD 625 (believe that's all a 626 is). it weighs 10 grams less if that matters

all that said, I'd buy it over a G5 plus myself, that's worth it to me personally

Who makes the best phone cases? Is it advised to get a screen protector?

Attached: 1436490098947.png (355x282, 54K)

Is there any modern flip phone?

Yes they are all japanese though.

I've recently been tyring Brave as my browser and it seems just too good to be true. So what's the catch? Did I install a literal botnet? Is it just a reskin of Chrome?

Attached: 1471888324949.jpg (596x650, 93K)

>reskin of Chrome
Yes with some adblock and other shit.

Got a S9 today and I hate it. Should I go back to my S6 running 7.0 or just get a 9+?

Who is that bitch gonna shoot?

what models? I want to look them up

Sharp usually. You can go from there. Just google jap flip phones.

XZ2 Compact then

i like my brother's spigen, looks nice and good protection. my otterbox is too bulky and revealsmy autism

I'm not in a hurry to get a new phone so I can wait a few months for new releases, but I'm looking for a

For reference, I'm looking at the Mi Note 3 and Mi 6 right now as phones I'm interested in.

Have you guys ever repurposed an old phone into anything interesting?
I really loved the feel of this mytouchQ(aside from the annoying car mode button that was easy to swipe)
It's been collecting dust a long time now.

Attached: phone.jpg (5312x2988, 629K)

I use them as media players for various equipment.

i used something similar as a phone on account of doing most of my shit from command line at the time. One of those with LTE and a software update would be ideal.

How much would it cost to repair the headphone jack for a Moto G4 Play? Debating between buying a new phone, repairing the jack or getting wireless earbuds.

No, it’s only usb 2.0 behind the usb c jack according to gsmarena.

Watch a teardown on ifixit. If it looks doable, buy the part for $2 and do it yourself.

How'd the Xperia XA2 Ultra turn out? Was going to get one but bought an XZ Premium after seeing what an utter abortion of a shitshow its successor is going to be.

but anime wuvs you :3

Attached: 1509860736122.gif (500x650, 999K)

For all the flak MIUI gets it has great battery life. I get about 10hrs SOT on my Mi Mix 2 at 45% brightness fixed.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-11-03-07-11-386_com.miui.securitycenter.png (1080x2160, 58K)

huawei is really upping their game. i got a nova 2i for free on my plan, its supposed to be a mid range phone but it runs like my old galaxy s7. solid metal build too

What model? Redmeme 5 Plus?

Mi Mix 2S global ROM isn't officially out, but there is link bigota.d.miui.com/8.4.10/miui_MIMIX2SGlobal_8.4.10_a594901e31_8.0.zip
if I buy Mix 2S now can I flash to global and have OTA?

>on my Mi Mix 2

>best android based android gets flak
donwana live on this planet anymore

Fuck, do I miss the iOS 7 times. What a hype it was, and how good Apple products were. iOS was constantly evolving back then.

I got a Z5 Compact recently for cheap, slapped lineageos on it, and I'm loving it it's great.

Good enough to last couple years I think.

Your only real options for a compact phone (which is laughable, it's basically normal size of many years ago) is either a Sony Z/X/XZ compact thing, or an iPhone SE or such. Nobody else makes anything decent in that category.

What is the most light weight launcher for android?
I have an old and slow phone and want to personalize a little bit the home screen.

Attached: 1522178901268.jpg (1095x1195, 269K)

I have over 5 low power android phones that my family doesnt use.
its pointless to sell them.
what can i use them for?

Does the Moto G5 have any Oreo ROMs worth a shit?

If you can't pick a basket ball with one hand then you hand/fingers must be small becaue I can operate my Note 8 without any problem.

6p battery is dying, need a new phone and thinking about picking up an elephone u pro, seems to be strong enough for what I will use it for, looks real nice and has some features I want.
Any thoughts?

Honor 9 lite (£169) or Nokia 2018 (£230).

What represents the best value for money? The phones appear to have a similar spec. But Nokia is part of the Android One program.

A couple of threads ago some user explained how to play webms on clover dev without stopping the cellphone music automatically. Are you around to explain this again or someone knows how is done?

Attached: 1430696034702.jpg (1002x1280, 278K)

Is there any reason not to pick up a Pixel 1? I desperately need an upgrade from a Note 3 and want to grab one of those and Project Fi since the Pixel 2's quality seems a bit concerning for how expensive it is compared to the more durable and significantly cheaper Pixel 1.

Could anyone recommend me a decent android phone to get mom, for around 200$?

You'll have to go used since Google just stopped selling them today

That's fine, actually. I like saving money. I'm actually looking at buying one locally for $250 in fair condition (some scratches around the edges but the screen is perfect).

I'm more so concerned with stability since there was a recent update that apparently sent a lot into bootloops and introduced other issues (8.1 vs. 8.0).

Nokia 2018 is better than that chinkphone.
gadgets.ndtv.com/honor-9-lite-4561-vs-nokia-6-2018-4551

I need your help /sp`er`g/.

What's the better option, s7 edge or sony xperia xa1?

Attached: Ai-ai-haibara-16133295-836-470.jpg (836x470, 54K)

wrongly quoted, should be (OP)

I agree.

Moot even said it was a mistake making this a weeb site.

Also blah blah note8 teh best.

Get an iphone for her. Bitches love iphones.

Out of those two, s7e.

Did Huawei suddenly get support in Australia recently? I've had to updates in the last month.

>good build quality
>good 3.5mm audio (at least htc tier)
>stereo speakers
>microSD slot
>decent hardware
>good screen, preferably (AM)OLED or something that isn't invisible in daylight
>normal aspect ratio
>removable battery (or at least high capacity)
i dont care about the camera, fingerprint sensor or muh waterproof rating.
why doesn't this phone exist? closest is lg v20/30 but the display is shit and lg software is even more shit

Attached: 1507981818028.jpg (600x512, 29K)

well s9+ is like that minus the audio but
>paying over 700$ for a phone

Attached: 1523282389947.gif (177x150, 1.74M)

Note 5 Pro when?

this phone doesn't exist, sadly
closest things to it are: lg v20 (what is that 2nd screen bullshit), htc 10 (meh screen and meh battery) and maybe a few others but none of them are what you're looking for

you can come pretty close with a few flagship phones but prepare for compromises and selling a kidney

this is the closest

youtube.com/watch?v=Qrlo3Dbr7YI

>LG G6 is ~330€

is it worth the buy? the form factor seems perfect, specs are very respectable too and i really dig the design

only thing that makes me hesitate is the garbage android. I'm assuming it'll stop getting updates soon, too?

Attached: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidcentral.com%2Fsites%2Fandroidcentral.com%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Fxlarge_wm_br (1600x1200, 386K)

Sony phones come quite close, check out XZ Premium, XZ1 and XZ1 Compact.

there's always custom ROMs

330€ for a LG G6? Damn, I'd have to pay about 561 EUR where I live (Argentina). I wanted to replace my S4 with that phone, but the price just won't drop. feels bad, man.

>any aspect ratio other than 16:9
>no microsd slot
>no 3.5mm jack
>battery can't even be replaced with surgery
>notch
>the 'dual camera' scam
>screen curves around the edges
>glass build
why is today's smartphone design so utterly retarded? what happened to aluminum phones compatible with everything and simple screens?

Attached: 1523191740489.gif (444x250, 594K)

and then the camera doesn't work properly. wew.

this
smartphone physical design peaked with htc m8/9 or zte axon 7

TurboVPN yourself into a canadian and use them as seedboxes

Why do you hate it?

get a razer phone or blackshark numbnuts

just use Gcam, it'll be even better than the stock camera. It now supports the wide angle lens too.

if you don't want to ROM her a chinkphone/are an ameriburger have a look at moto g4/g5 plus

what's better?
500mb more ram
or 8gb more rom

depends on how much RAM and ROM you already have

anything above 4GB of RAM is pointless

1gb vs 1.5gb
8gb vs 16gb

16GB

My arent we using android go and rice the shit outta it.
ot it isnt compatible with normal apps?

I'm planning on buying a new phone soon. I need something that'll last me for a while since I'm a poorfag. With my current budget, I'm looking to buy the OP5T. I could also squeeze in a bit and probably go for the S8. Any other options you guys can recommend?