Is 16gb ram a meme for laptops?

is 16gb ram a meme for laptops?

Attached: cash-in-a-hand.jpg (500x500, 40K)

why would you want that much for a laptop? you're not video gayming on a laptop, are you?

not primarily no. some photo editing mostly

No it's smart. With laptops, always upgrade ram and leave the CPU.

No, merely having lots of tabs in a browser can easily fill 8GB. Sad but true. There is no such thing as too much RAM anyway, and.it's a relatively cheap upgrade.

what do you do with your laptop?

watch hentai

yes, don't buy anything. stay where you are.

Might as well, why not. At current prices you will pay less up front from a large oem that gets huge volume discounts. I didn't think I would need it but I had to upgrade my work laptop, generally gave two browsers and at least ten tabs, outlook, word/Excel, and some work specific apps.

depends if you use firefox or chrome

>is 16gb ram a meme for laptops?
Depends on what you're doing with it.
For photo or audio editing, 16GB minimum is an absolute must.
Similarly if you are running multiple virtual machines.

4GB is the modern minimum, 8GB is the all around good enough, and 16GB is the baseline for any sort of heavy work.

The upgrade is ~$300-400 from most oems in aus

>is 16gb ram a meme for laptops?
My laptop came with 4 GB RAM on "sale" (a big part of the reduced price was due to low RAM and small SSD). I immediately bought two 8 GB sticks making 16 total. It's nice to have. But would I have done the same if I bought a laptop today? Hell no, not with today's prices, it's not worth paying more than twice what I paid early 2016.

Honestly, though: I look at laptops from time to time and see mid and also high-range laptops come with 6 to 8 GB RAM. "Upgrading" isn't tempting even though the CPU would be faster.

>4GB is the modern minimum, 8GB is the all around good enough, and 16GB is the baseline for any sort of heavy work.

Attached: 1508570455191.jpg (225x224, 8K)

16gb ram is a meme even for desktop computers

Laptops are the meme, 16gb RAM is not. Or rather depends on what you use it for.

I need a computer than is easily portable and can be used on my lap. It must do the following:
>raw photo editing (with display to match)
>h.265 10 bit playback
>battery life >10 hours
>not look autistic
>have good build quality
its very hard to find within a reasonable price range in aus even with 8gb options. So far my beat is an 8th gen xiami notebook pro with chinks agreeing to lie on declared value to avoid tax. I'd buy it without hesitation if it weren't for the conplete gamble due to lack of warranty

no way

Attached: 1.png (299x65, 5K)

Forgot to mention ideally it would be a 1050ti model to allow for some light gaming but I've pretty much abandoned hope of continuing that hobby as they all cost $2500-3000

>he doesn't use gentoo
16GB of RAM are good for compiling big packages. With 8gb I often go out of memory.

Yes.
Gentoo and 2bwm eat 120MB ram.

>Gentoo and 2bwm eat 120MB ram.
If you crosscompile. Of course.

also eats your battery

>>is 16gb ram a meme for laptops?
no

forgot pic

Attached: 16gblaptop.png (1054x539, 42K)

120 mb ram usage too much for me.i start use plan 9/ inferno. It eats

I was going to say 8 GB is enough for a laptop but then I checked my laptop's current usage. I guess 16 GB is not at all stupid in 2018.

Attached: memory.png (663x228, 17K)

literally just an x220 + external 20v battery pack, gg ez $200 solved

gentoocucks btfo again

x220 doesn't pass any of that aside from battery and build quality