IT Job

Hello Jow Forums, I really want to get out of my job at Fedex and do some work with computer repair or helpdesk stuff. I already took a full course at a reputable trade school for computer repair (1 year) and a half course (1 year) on computer science. I've been sending out applications like crazy over a dice, monster, and linkedin, but nobody has ever called/emailed back. Would a CompTIA A+ cert help my chances? I downloaded the textbook and I'm studying it over, not much I'm learning that I haven't learned at trade school but I'm wondering if it's actually worth the $450 for the two tests.

Did you get a CompTIA cert? Did it help in getting a job? What are your experiences with your first tech related job? I really want to get out of FedEx since it's killing me physically and I would rather not fall for the college meme right now and see how far I can get on certifications.

Attached: 7e56736185770c4bf3e6740ffa534eff.png (950x1400, 741K)

A+ is fine for getting your foot in the door. Try volunteering while you study so you get some practical application of skills.

Are there any alternatives besides the A+ or college? I know there are other certifications but it seems that A+ is the "industry standard."

You could get specific certs like Microsoft or Cisco but A+ should get you into any ticket jockey position. From there decide what you want and then work from there.

Anything I should look out for now? I figure most places won't hire me because I'm pretty young (19) but I think the A+ is a good step towards at least getting a second look over by HR. I would like to start off as an IT guy for a company, internal stuff, but maybe move on from there. Is there anything specific I have to look out for or do?

Doesn't matter how young you are as long as you can demonstrate that you can do the job right

Managed service providers or SMBs are good starts. A lot of the postings I've seen want you to have A+ or commit to getting certified within a timeframe.

Could you explain what those two are? Sorry. From what I can understand, managed service providers are outsourcing from other companies. I tried looking up SMBs but I got a bunch of different results and I don't think any of the ones I got mean what you meant.

Small and medium-sized businesses.

>computer repair
Literally just start offering to fix stuff for your friends and family. Note: 99% of the time you'll be replacing cracked phone screens and clearing viruses.
>helpdesk
Move to India. No, I'm not joking.

First off, what pay level are you aiming for. Second besides fedex do you have other job experience. Third what is your total years of job experience, any jobs really?

I'm looking for a career. not another reason for my family to bother me.

And I mean helpdesk as in the IT guy for a company. At a desk, people send in repair tickets, and I fix things. I absolutely do not want to be on a phone.

I mean $15 would be a nice starting point because that's what I get paid at FedEx, although I'm willing to go a little bit lower since FedEx gives me shit for hours (only 4/5 a day) and they refuse to give me any more. I've worked at an amusement park, farm stand, and an insurance company before my current job at FedEx now.

Volunteering with what?
I used to work as a laboratory researcher which involved a lot of sysadmin duties and some programming thrown in, yet like OP, I haven't gotten so much as a nibble beyond rejection letters for entry-level crap.

I'm considering a post-bacc in Cybersecurity just to get out from under the shadow of my unrelated degree. Is 2.5 years of living off food-stamps worth it, or will I end up just as jobless as before?

Okay then it comes down to resume and how you tweak it. You have to make it custom to the job you applying for. Research them a little and tweak a few items that relate to that place. IT is IT, but the roll changes from financial, medical, call center or large corporation enterprises.

> I used to work as a laboratory researcher which involved a lot of sysadmin duties and some programming thrown in
That counts. I was talking non-profit, but anything that proves you were responsible for something is helpful.

> I'm considering a post-bacc in Cybersecurity just to get out from under the shadow of my unrelated degree
What degree?
> Is 2.5 years of living off food-stamps worth it, or will I end up just as jobless as before?
Cybersecurity is a growing field so if that’s what you want to do then go for it. Enjoying your job is as important as your compensation.

bump

I'm working for UPS and I'm trying to build a career as a freelancer atm, so I feel you, OP.

Good luck!

Attached: 7650054056_1a5bfbd302_o.jpg (612x612, 84K)

Yeah man good luck. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got hired was because of the holiday rush and they've just kept me for one reason or another. I work in the warehouse, in the IC section (shit too big or heavy to be sorted by the automated system) and ouch. Today I had to call out of work because everything hurt bad. Couldn't even twist my back. Wrists feel like they're made of glass. I already fucked myself up physically since I regularly lift things that are over 100 pounds and we're so understaffed/busy that I rarely get help to load the trailers.

A+ worked for me to get my foot in the door. I started out on the helpdesk, been there for a year now.

Is the test hard? Most of the stuff I'm seeing in the textbook is stuff I already know except for details about certain ports and things.

I studied way to much for it. I passed with like 98% and you only need like 75% or something.
You can't really say if it's easy or hard, that depends on if you know the stuff.

I read Mike Meyer's A+ book twice, and watched all of Professor Messer's videos while taking notes. Then flashcards for things like port numbers, and there are a lot of practice tests online for the A+.

Before all that, I didn't know anything about computers.
Do that, and you'll pass for sure. And getting your first cert feels awesome.

Computers were a hobby for me for the longest time and I went to a trade school for it so I already have a headstart I think. The CompTIA textbook is such a long slog that I think I'll try processormesser's book. Thanks!