Worth getting a high end blu ray player? Something like the DMP-UB900?

Worth getting a high end blu ray player? Something like the DMP-UB900?

Attached: DMP-UB900_ALT02.jpg (470x353, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gambitmag.com/2018/03/sony-offering-65-for-owners-of-original-ps3-in-settlement/
youtube.com/watch?v=TRd2u32vTtc
youtube.com/watch?v=sGTIGdlyKjI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who the fuck even consumes media on spinning disks anymore? holy shit what a dumb question

>who the fuck even consumes media on spinning disks anymore?
People who care about quality. Stay pleb.

Just use Plex moron

Attached: laffintbhcara.jpg (2980x2198, 698K)

>who the fuck even consumes media on spinning disks anymore?

Attached: Reddit-Logo-NOTEXT-2.png (1193x1654, 44K)

Xbox One X

/thread

>high end blu ray player

Jesus Christ you people will buy anything. All a blu ray player does is read 1's and 0's off a disk and send them to the receiver. The quality of your media reader mattered when it was transmitted analog. With digital, it doesnt matter at all.

no retard

It's still digital tho. All that matters is format, bitrate etc. Blu-ray is just a storage medium, just like your hard drive or SSD is. Quality is the same between both.

only children own toys

I was going to, but then I realized that buying the Xbox One X was the better option. Mostly because I don't play PC games though.

There's exactly zero reason you can't get identical quality from a copy stored on an SSD.

High end blu ray players are for audiophiles that buy blu ray albums

> All a blu ray player does is read 1's and 0's off a disk and send them to the receiver

Attached: image.jpg (205x246, 22K)

>Quality is the same between both.
Blu-ray is far less compressed than streaming video and Web-DL because the file size doesn't matter as long as it fits on the disc.

>copy stored on an SSD
Where do you get this magical copy you can just store on an SSD legally? and the same quality as a Blu-ray?

>legally

Attached: 1503277986099.jpg (506x520, 123K)

Why would you buy anything other than an Oppo

Release groups.
Also idiots.

True, but if enough people stop using BD then there won't be any future high quality releases.
Online streaming is bullshit bitrates, the only good quality rips are from BD & UHD BD.
Those idiots are useful.

>legally
Who fucking cares? If you've got the space (really doesn't even need to be an SSD), there's nothing preventing you from having the same quality as a blu-ray disc.

True. Nordic content is already fucking impossible to get because only films from like 2013 and onward have been released on Blu-ray. Even when it's available on streaming services, it's just an upscaled DVD master.

Your missing the point being made, without BD releases, there won't *be* any equally high bitrate copies for you to store on your HDD/SSD.
BD is the source for all the good quality rips.

We need the plebs and clueless richfags to keep buying into BD.

There is effectively zero danger of that happening. I think you grossly underestimate how many people still buy physical movie media. It's the overwhelming majority. There's people who even do it for the express purpose of creating rips.

The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

A lot of those are probably retards who still but the ancient DVD format.

Shut the fuck up. You aren't even making a consistent point.

>not hiring artisan theater actors to recreate your favorite film scenes

pleb

>Jow Forums is one person

you should buy high end blu ray player along with school days

Attached: 4snapshot_13.18.png (1920x1080, 1.55M)

Why is School Days suddenly popular again?

>tfw just picked up an hd-dvd player and box full of movies off craigslist for $40

Attached: 1521228312151.gif (311x362, 1.99M)

Are you one of those people who thinks a 5 dollar speaker sounds the same as a 5k one?

I still use my fat PS3 as a DVD/BD player.

>just bought junk hardware that's going to take up room and use up an HDMI port

>Where do you get this magical copy you can just store on an SSD legally?
By ripping it from a legally purchased Blu-ray disc. Keeping it on an SSD is dumb though, it should be on an HDD

Same. First release too so it was a BD/PS3/PS2 all in one. Still useful. I never actually got any PS3 games for it tho.

Also thanks to you folks I discovered I am now $65 richer. It's the console that keeps on giving!

Attached: ps3fat.jpg (800x445, 48K)

Terrible analogy. A cheap Blu-ray player will transfer the same data to your receiver and TV that an expensive one would; a $5 speaker won't create the same sound as a $5k one.

What do you think a Blu-ray player does? It has to process the source into a signal. Some do it better than others. They aren’t like drives connected to a PC.

Are you retarded? It uses light to read a medium and send it over to the board by a SATA cable

That thing was actually a steal when it launched. I still have one hooked up to my TV. Since I don't need the PS Store, I can still boot up linux on it, too. Before all those updates, that console was a pirate's dream.

You mean the board with a fucking computer on it to render video?

Oh forgot link

gambitmag.com/2018/03/sony-offering-65-for-owners-of-original-ps3-in-settlement/

Attached: 1522398642143.jpg (190x235, 31K)

It actually got hacked again a while ago on the most current FW so it's completely open now.

I bet you think VLC is the same thing as mpv. After all, all they do is output digital signals.

I still see no reason to update it. I have 4 PS3 games on it (Demon Souls, NieR, Ni No Kuni, and Persona 5), and the disks still work on whatever firmware I have, plus I don't have to deal with that Cinavia shit, or whatever it's called where they mute pirated movies (I prefer using it to a laptop when I have a group of people over, as I can just use the game remote to start and stop, rather than walking over to my PC.

If you want to spend $500 on a player go right ahead lel

Attached: 1522857269866.png (803x753, 514K)

> moving the goalposts

>sends transport stream to decoder
>reference decoder decodes stream
>sends over HDMI
$50 BS player vs. $5000 BS player - same shit, one is 10x the price and probably ugly as fuck.

It's literally not worth it.
The Xbox One X is objectively one of the most functional blu-ray players on the market, and it plays games.

>send strwam to VLC
>VLC decodes stream
>VLC sends over HDMI
Why does VLC still look like shit compared to literally any other player?

It doesn't.

Upboated!

A $35 board can render 4k@60. Get the fuck out of here

Fucking this

The UDP-203 or 205

$500 and $1200 respectively.

He's actually right, scum

Alright kids, what’s the difference between VLC and mpv? They both read ones and zeroes so there’s no difference, right?

Yes and no.
The UI looks different. Rest of the stuff is the exact same thing.

Wrong

You can just get a blu ray disk drive for your computer. Although I don't know what the minimum difference you would be looking at as far as quality is concerned is.

For normal Blu-ray yes a disk drive would be fine but with 4k UHD blu-ray there are hardware requirements. It's not that playing 4k blu ray is hard is just that the hardware requirements are purely for DRM purposes.

This. There won't ever be a movie purchasing service that's built around letting you download a BD-quality video file, for a number of reasons.

only if you have an excellent tv and audio set up

How do i get blu-ray support on windows? I tried with the aacs and keydb files every site says to use but it doesn't help shit with neither vlc or windows media player.

>needs the file to fit on small ass 60gb disc
>somehow this is more space than TB sized HDDs capable of storing your media
kid.. pls..

Man, if only multi-layer discs existed

Attached: Blu-ray.png (277x595, 86K)

>for a number of reasons
a major one is because americans are fucking retards and love taking shit internet up the ass

Who the fuck uses Bluray? I only ever see people use DVDs, at least with them you can actually make backups and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

128GB isn't much better famalam

No, main reason is DRM.

>128GB isn't much better famalam
It's more than twice as much as he was bitching about

Yeah, but compare that to a 2.5" HDD/SSD with 1TB+ of space. Though, I'd recommend the HDD due to cost.

Now for archiving maybe I'd recommend a Bluray, but I'd also prefer to point out a format that's sole purpose is not to defile the rights of the end-user. Maybe Just a bunch of DVDs instead? I know that's also rooted in DRM, but at least that DRM setup is well known to being cracked.

And isn't disk-rot a thing as well? I don't archive many things so I'm pretty oblivious to that use case.

Yeah exactly! It's 2018 maaann

Yeah, let's just distribute movies on SSDs or HDDs instead of small, cheap, and fast to manufacture optical discs.
>Now for archiving maybe I'd recommend a Bluray, but I'd also prefer to point out a format that's sole purpose is not to defile the rights of the end-user. Maybe Just a bunch of DVDs instead? I know that's also rooted in DRM, but at least that DRM setup is well known to being cracked
DRM doesn't mean shit on a data disc, even if you put a pirated movie on it.

it's cheaper to get a 2-4TB mechanical 2.5" and it's a much better deal than any number of optical discs you can show me, moron

But it all ends up as a digital signal. As long as it can properly decode the video and doesn't apply any extra processing, the ouput from any player is going to be the exact same.

Attached: niceboat3.jpg (640x480, 48K)

Sure for personal use, but for mass distribution that's a terrible idea, you dolt.

Movies will never be widely released on HDD/SSD

it's simply not cost effective.

There are a few documentaries and similar shit that you can purchase full bitrate copies on hard drives, but you're spending $100+ usually.

Discs cost a few bucks at MOST for 128GB BDXL, meaning the majority of the $20-30 price tag goes to the studio for the movie, not the method of playback.

Get the Sony UBX700 which gets a Dolby Vision update in July pleb.

Oh we're talking about selling content? Lol, fuck that shit. Not gonna argue about that stuff, mainly because I don't know anything about it, but I also will never in my life support the MSM's way of fucking over consumer rights.

But yeah sure, for selling video content a Blueray works, unfortunate flash memory costs as much as it does, little cards like Nintendo video games for straight video would be neat.

You are right, I misread the context. See above for my opinion. ;)

>unfortunate flash memory costs as much as it does, little cards like Nintendo video games for straight video would be neat.

Main reason is that cheaper flash, like the kind used by nintendo games, don't require the constant bitrate that a 4k movie does.

That requires decent quality flash, and a decent controller.

Maybe in a decade or two.

Not to mention adding data is far different. With a blu-ray the disc is manufactured with the movie data on it, with flash the memory is manufactured then the movie must be written to each individual SD card or whatever flash medium would be used.

stop buying stupid shit like optical media and maybe that will change, you stupid idiot

reading 4k at the best bitrate isn't a big deal
that's like saying there's no point in having 4k screens because it's really hard to drive them

Where did I say I buy optical media? Fucking dumbass.

Ah yeah, good reasoning.

Manufactured with the data already present? Surely it's written to the piece of plastic after production of the disc.

He's saying to stop supporting the MSM's threat to consumer freedoms, like what I said I think lol.

>Manufactured with the data already present? Surely it's written to the piece of plastic after production of the disc
It's not

>As long as it can properly decode the video and doesn't apply any extra processing
And this is precisely why Blu-ray players aren't simple data drives connected to a PC. The processing happens on-device using software from who-knows. The devices themselves output the video signal and do all kinds of tricks. HDMI ≠ USB.

How is such a process done? Either before or after the data needs to be written to the medium somehow, even if it's just one layer sandwiched to some plastic.

No.

Just buy a regular UHD bluray player and make sure you have a decent TV to go with it.

It's pressed on.

Injection molding with the mold containing the data

Is this still done? I know pressing is how CDs were made.

there is a correct way to decode h264/5 video though, and it should always produce the exact same image at the end. HDMI is also digital so that image can be displayed perfectly. Any processing should be done by your display or receiver.
Really the only reason to get an expensive BD player is for 4k support, HDR, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=TRd2u32vTtc
youtube.com/watch?v=sGTIGdlyKjI

BR might have changed a few minor things, but it is essentially the same process as CD/DVD pressing

no

bluray nigger we uhd now

Could you try that again in English?

ooga booga

Neat! That just seems so improbable given how small the individual grooves would be. I guess they run enough integrity checks on the data afterwards to ensure stuff doesn't come out of the factory not working. Thanks for the info, rare to learn new things on Jow Forums!

>I guess they run enough integrity checks on the data afterwards to ensure stuff doesn't come out of the factory not working.
I've actually had a fair number of early Blu-ray discs not work. It seems to have gotten better but there is clearly a ceiling they're hitting with current technology.

>Thanks for the info, rare to learn new things on Jow Forums!
I wish it weren't.

>Buy cheap bluray reader
>Download program to convert a bluray file from disk and turn it into a video file
>Store on HDD
>???????
>Profit!