Everybody keeps talking about decentralized networks yet there hasn't been any progress past the blockchain and smart...

Everybody keeps talking about decentralized networks yet there hasn't been any progress past the blockchain and smart contracts.
Why doesn't somebody just make a chrome/frefox app that turns .torrent files into websites?
It doesn't sound like it'd be difficult at all.

Attached: i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif (353x251, 1.13M)

what would be the point you crazy fucking nutcase?

It'd be a website that's hosted by seeders
In other words a decentralized website that not one person has control over hosting

It's called IPFS

And how would you ever change what's on it?

Well like for instance, let's say you make a torrent file with your "Facebook" profile.
You'd be the host and other people would seed it.

>host
Centralized as fuck

For static sites its possible but would also be fucking huge unless you do partial chain verification and people dont need to host the entire chain. If you are actually running a server that does anything besides just serve conent i.e something useful then it becomes hard.

How would you ever modify it and propagate the changes to the other seeders? How would you invalidate the previous version? What would prevent someone from pretending to be you and editing your profile?

Distributed systems are hard, user. There are decentralized social networks that actually fix these issues somewhat, it's just that no one uses them and it's REALLY hard to change the protocol once everyone starts using it, so it will stagnate quickly.

Besides the web isn't really a protocol designed with peer-to-peer in mind. The goal is not to band-aid fix the web, it's to create something new.

This takes time and resources, and time and resources cost money, and investors expect returns. There's more money to be made with decentralized networks in other fields. This is why you see applications of the blockchain and smart contracts in things like decentralizing power grids, smart appliances, verifiable elections, verifying official documents and smart trading, and not much money being applied on researching a decentralized web.

>>How would you ever modify it and propagate the changes to the other seeders?
Why would you need to do that? Just make it immutable and use a distributed persistent data structure to store the content. To update it, you create a new version with changed content.

That would involve creating a new protocol that's not bittorrent wouldn't it...

That's one solution to the problem. It has drawbacks as well. See for the first drawback.

> make a chrome/frefox app that turns .torrent files into websites
Absolutely retarded. You want to turn the decentralized torrents into a centralized website to ... decentralize?

I don't get this obsession with avoiding torrents to begin with, but you definitely are centralizing shit here, not decentralizing.

You hosting your own shit is not centralized. Centralized is Google/Amazon whatever hosting everyone's shit.

Basically if we had proper symmetric network infrastructure without bullshit restrictions then everyone could host their own website on their own computer/server and then come up with some way to sort or search through it and it would be fucking glorious.

Consider this, how are you going to address this chinese cartoon board and its 40k posts per hour or whatever under one magnet link? Where are the posts going so they become reachable, who can moderate, who will seed?

>Basically if we had proper symmetric network infrastructure without bullshit restrictions then everyone could host their own website on their own computer/server
You guys are missing the point.
If it was just you hosting the website on your computer http works just fine.
Any computer can be turned into a server.
I'm talking about turning users into servers.
By using torrent files users can seed your website/web page.
The only problem is that the way bittorrents are set up right now you can't make changes.
You'd make a change and it would no longer be the same file users are seeding.

>the only problem is federation

no shit

bump

>chrome/firefox
>app
fucking kill yourself you filthy degenerate

Attached: 1491375280202.jpg (540x762, 84K)

I still think that it could be done with some small tweaks.
I don't have the know how though.

This is how we will be shitposting in the future when the entire Internet becomes controlled.

No need for it YET but yeah I'm just gonna assume it will happen eventually. The dark web but more so.