/wdg/ - Web Developer General

"Where is the thread?" edition.

Previous Thread:
→→

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io
Start your own project, no better way to learn and stay motivated.

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: 14330066-man-searching-for-something-isolated-on-white[1].jpg (1300x1266, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jameshfisher.com/2018/04/07/the-dots-do-matter-how-to-scam-a-gmail-user.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2D1fQgWH-mI
developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/primers/promises
laravel.com/docs/5.6/mix#installation
pastebin.com/raw/eAbPNbGH
revealjs.com/#/
cgi1.gitlab.io/g2scoring-presentation/
rollingstones.vizzuality.com/
raymanrt.github.io/graphdbs4jug/#/4
slides.com/gsklee/functional-programming-in-5-minutes
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fetch_API/Using_Fetch
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Guide/Using_promises
rbt.asia/g/thread/64339306/#q64346238
jsbin.com/tutuxixaza/edit?js,output
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Element/getBoundingClientRect
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/window/requestAnimationFrame
pastebin.com/BgxKmfM5
pastebin.com/4QqAA4kb
github.com/werein/react
yarnpkg.com/lang/en/docs/cli/run/
medium.com/welldone-software/an-overview-of-javascript-testing-in-2018-f68950900bc3
rubular.com/r/QMpVRf1YeI
jsfiddle.net/rnrjpctm/
jsfiddle.net/qb5pezgh/1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how do you demo pure front-end sites to clients without them jewing you out?

Whats gonna happen to react.js now?

Attached: 1523401292929.jpg (1275x685, 96K)

github, codepen.io, host it yerself

Hi /wdg/, do you use your real name in your GitHub/GitLab/etc account?
If not, at what point do you provide information about your real identity to potential employers or clients?
If yes, would you feel comfortable sharing a project linked to that account here on /wdg/ if that could help another user?

Thoughts on unpkg?

do you use it?

>more than 200 million requests for react

Attached: asdfgh.png (851x617, 28K)

Guys, can you give me some simple, but employer-pleasing project ideas that will get me hired? Currently studying some web dev courses in community college, but I'm tired of school and just want to build some personal projects and get hired ASAP.

I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Currently learning database stuff and will probably work with PostgreSQL. I am comfortable spinning up CentOS and run web servers on AWS, Google Compute, and Azure.

I'm also gonna learn React and incorporate that somehow.

Just need some project ideas that I can handle and finish within a months time. Maybe a project that leaves room for improvement so I can develop it over time as well.

Goes without saying, but I'm looking for a junior/entry-level web dev position.

holy shit the async chapter in Eloquent JavaScript is really fucking with my head. and I just cannot wrap my head about the code examples he gives in that chapter. here's a gem -
function requestType(name, handler) {
defineRequestType(name, (nest, content, source,
callback) => {
try {
Promise.resolve(handler(nest, content, source))
.then(response => callback(null, response),
failure => callback(failure));
} catch (exception) {
callback(exception);
}
});
}

like jesus christ
It reminds me of the first time I learned about pointers in C all those years ago.

I have a single page on gitpages but you can view source and see all my code. Granted they can't get to my CSS or JS files, but still makes me weird

>do you use your real name in your GitHub/GitLab/etc account?
Yes.
>If yes
I'd use a secondary account.

Look at companies nearby you like and the kinds of problems they're solving.
No point learning React if you're in a town with only 3 software firms doing C#.

Find a small local shop/club/whatever you use and make a site for them. No need to contact them, just make it and show it. Let them have it free of charge if they want.

Bring it up at an interview.

What are some good low cost VPS provider for personal projects? I used scaleway for a while, but they now never have servers.

buy a sever

This is /wdg/, not sys admin general. Also not sure if cheaper.

Vultr seems to be the cheapest one that I see posted regularly, with $2.50/month for their smallest plan.

Should I use only one domain name for my catchall and resume stuff, or should I get two separate ones? (One with name in URL, one without)
Have your own host, push it there for demo purposes

this is what happens when you don't even have a minimum sense of security:
jameshfisher.com/2018/04/07/the-dots-do-matter-how-to-scam-a-gmail-user.html
anyone who has some experience designing/implementing/auditing this shit would tell them to check the email addresses when creating/updating the accounts.

oh, and btw: the conclusion of his analysis is wrong. netflix fucked it up, not gmail.

I'm unironically going to use Elixir and Phoenix for my next project. Hope this goes well

>want to learn Promises
>find nice short video by Google
>6 seconds a creature with a frightening voice starts speaking to me in demonic tongue
>barely able to close video in time before eyes fall out of their sockets

youtube.com/watch?v=2D1fQgWH-mI

Working with MAMP tonight to try to understand web servers and evetually REST calls. Understanding web services are such an important topic for getting a job.

Trying to figure out how to make things in React is interesting. Like the planning.

It's refreshing how different it is. Like comparing a south-east Asian language to an African language. Different structure. Very satisfying. It's like I'm learning all over again for the first time.

Do they have scaling?

Just make stuff and focus on variety. In this moment you are far off from finding a job. Easily 6 months and maybe longer.

I wasn't able to make it through the video either, but this is a good intro:
developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/primers/promises

Guise. Wot code editor do u use

google brad frost arrogant

Sublime. Been my favorite for years now.

Worked a job where they said we had to use notepad++ and I used sublime anyways. Tons of skins to use to make it how you want. Several good dark skins.

Why Sublime or Notepad++ when it's all about VS Code?

I've tried so many times but I just can't git gud at react. I want to just ignore it but it seems like the markets growing rapidly for it and I dont want to be left behind.

Web dev was the only thing I can do as a total brainlet, fuck.

Attached: Bu.jpg (247x242, 14K)

I don't use it. Sell me on it and I'll believe it's better.

Same boat. Keep learning. React is a different monster. Learn it and react-native and you will be good for the next 10 years.

Remember to keep launching your own stuff for passive income.

Generated a new Laravel project just now, ran npm install and tried running npm run dev basically done everything by the books laravel.com/docs/5.6/mix#installation

but when I run npm run dev I get the following error pastebin.com/raw/eAbPNbGH

I have webpack installed locally and globally

So I solo-run a site competing with VC funded sites. Probably seen me here. I am the 4th largest and all of the sites above me have taken at least one of the tools I provide.

Should I try to build out my site and look for a buyout or work for one of them? Their salaries are all around 120k with stock options. To get my site to their level would take 100s of hours. I think around 3 months full-time.

Alternatively I could look for a VC. These guys have stolen my tools once they got popular and I could prove it. I am working on a thing that would take their 20+ dev team several months to copy.

What would yall do?

Brainlet here, still chilling away at Secret Life

>just buy a server dood
here in third world america we only have 200kB/s upload

So,
I have a modern one pager, full o fucking animation and what not.. Client is happy. But how would i go about some hipstery page transition? I need some "cool" way to open content in middle of a page, or seemless transaction to another url or some such shit. I only have Wordpress with this... I tried barba.js but was not satisfied, i also dont have time to manualy write transition animations.

Attached: CiMhCfb.jpg (720x718, 39K)

IntelliJ

how many data point categories do I need to store to be a peak performance web developer?

so all react is is separating your html into "components" and have them read data from the server, send data to another component, etc? is that it in a nut shell?

It makes you a transvestite?

I (think I) know the basics of web dev.

How do I get a job?

I'm running out of money here... Don't want to wash dishes.

any better chats than chatango* for embedding a shitposting box on a site? embedding IRC would work is that free to create an IRC channel?

*dont have database so need third party.

You asking for something more advanced than CSS Transitions?

If you only know the basics your best bet is to make web sites for people, small businesses mainly. See what small businesses nearby lack websites and approach them to have a chat about how everybody has a smartphone now and everybody would look up their business on Google first with their smartphones and how it would be nice to have a web page of their own which doesn't have reviews / ratings on it like Facebook etc. Just a page for them to display their wares. Charge them $60 to design a mobile-first website.

this is the best for a one pager, you can make it as intricate as you want

revealjs.com/#/

cgi1.gitlab.io/g2scoring-presentation/
rollingstones.vizzuality.com/
raymanrt.github.io/graphdbs4jug/#/4

slides.com/gsklee/functional-programming-in-5-minutes

you can also set it to auto transition

/wdg/ should make its own JavaScript framework

So the point of Symbols is to have a key/value pair in an object literal which is ignored when the object literal is iterated over, right?

Thanks for the advice.

I already made some WP pages for friends and family - just small things.
Been focusing on learning React for a while now.
I can basically make what I want (though it requires time).

How do I go about landing a job from this?

I would prefer to work for some company or institution because it takes too much time to locate and talk to clients.

You're learning the basics of web dev but you're learning React? Dude start with the fundamentals first, please!

>react
but how does loading it from a CDN make sense.
You need some bundler / JSX-transpiler anyway, so then you already have it loaded from NPM for inclusion in your build output.
to be fair, that code looks retarded as fuck.

I think the axios library and the browsers fetch() function make for a good intro to async code with Promises
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fetch_API/Using_Fetch
or the actual Promise guide

Vultr is pretty good overall,
DO isn't quite on the performance level as Bultr, but offers some additional services
Scaleway if west-EU servers are fine. Their ARMv8 cloud servers (not the bare-metal ones!) have great performance & hardware while being really cheap. On the other hand you are on your own with almost everything, backups, storage, load-balancing, etc.

I did a benchmark a little while ago if you are interested
rbt.asia/g/thread/64339306/#q64346238

Is your application large enough that you need scaling, yet can't check for yourself what features a VPS provider includes?
Those 2 don't fit together.

There is nothing Eloquent about that.
Javascript was a mistake.

comfy vscode
Just use whatever you want.
People unironically use Vim and Emacs and who am I to convince them to change that, if they don't have an issue.
Only if someone really doesn't know better and does all the editing in notepad.exe, then maybe it's worth pointing out the advantages of switching to something else.

I unironically use vim and honestly I wouldn't try to convince anyone else to do it. I use it because it's comfiest to me. If you don't have ten years of writing C on Linux in your past there's nothing in it for you.

The main points of libraries like Vue and React are declarative rendering and the component based structure.
Components you can probably figure out how that works by yourself.
Declarative rendering is the interesting part. You have your data-state and the view-template, that defines how the browser should render everything.

Then in your code, you can simply modify your component-state and Vue/React will know which part of the page has to be updated to reflect your current state.
Let's say you have a chat component for example and an array of messages.
Because you declared how the view should be rendered initially, now you can just manipulate the data of the array, add things, remove things, sort, reverse, etc. and the view will immediately re-render and reflect the current array state.

I have progressed to the point in learning JavaScript where I now have a small rounded rectangle at my disposal.

jsbin.com/tutuxixaza/edit?js,output

How do the pros implement collision detection in vanilla JS? I want the browser to know if it hits another element, which would be static. Is it possible for it to notify of a collision with another element that is always changing its position?

Attached: lennard.jpg (724x513, 38K)

>How do the pros implement
10MB+ of thirdparty libraries

I said "pros", not manchildren

are minimalism threads the opposite of wdg?

Doesn't it have an open license? Worst case scenario users would contribute to it, but I doubt facebook and it's team aren't going anywhere soon.

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Element/getBoundingClientRect
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/window/requestAnimationFrame

>finally humanity invented scooped corners
>finally humanity invented the concept of transparency
>finally humans invented variables
am i the only one who thinks this is stupid?

Attached: palemoon_2018-04-11_14-26-45.png (803x645, 75K)

>revealjs.com/#/

Thank you, my friend!

>calling it uglify instead of minify

>scooped corners
w3c should have just implemented:

border-radius-negative: 6px;

small example from the web can't even get it to work
yarn init
yarn add react react-dom

HTML code: app.js: pastebin.com/BgxKmfM5

JS code: app.html: pastebin.com/4QqAA4kb

package.json
{
"name": "zxcv",
"version": "1.0.0",
"main": "test.js",
"license": "MIT",
"scripts": {
"test": "app.html"
},
"dependencies": {
"babel-standalone": "^6.26.0",
"react": "^16.3.1",
"react-dom": "^16.3.1"
}
}

and finally

yarn run test

doesn't do anything

tiresome

>"scripts": {
> "test": "app.html"
> },
what is that supposed to be?

this one: pastebin.com/BgxKmfM5

yarn run test only works when you have a test framework installed
example jest unit tester:
"test": "jest"
},

use this starter boilerplate:
github.com/werein/react

I had the same problem. Moved over to Mithril.js, and looking back at React, it seems like a breeze. Still using Mithril, tho.

and what do you expect should happen when it "runs" the html file?

"test" is just an alias and doesn't automatically test your output by some kind of magic, if you don't have actual tests set up.

so what should i put in the JSON file?

this site doesn't help either

yarnpkg.com/lang/en/docs/cli/run/

How do I practice using APIs? It took me relatively long to understand it and I still don't feel comfortable with it

you haven't even said what exactly you want to do.

for

I don't know about yarn much except that it's pretty much the same as npm in terms of the package.json file, but basically the scripts key is like bash alias

$ cat package.json
{
"name": "scripts",
"version": "1.0.0",
"description": "",
"main": "index.js",
"test": "echo \"hello\""
},
"author": "",
"license": "ISC"
}
$ npm run test

> [email protected] test /Users/Mike/Scripts
> echo "hello"

hello

so what youre supposed to do is enter your full test command under that

you should start with picking a test runner medium.com/welldone-software/an-overview-of-javascript-testing-in-2018-f68950900bc3

Attached: hvEnMpK.png (694x732, 108K)

>MyStyling.css
>MyFunction {};
>Myxxxxxxx

why

why

why

Only thing that can be complicated about APIs is auth. Implement test clients for some public APIs with different auths.

Man this is embarassing. Can anyone tell me why this regex won't work in my script that's running on ruby 2.3.3?
rubular.com/r/QMpVRf1YeI

how do I make the first two input boxes + their label be half size and side by side with flexbox?

Dit navn

Din E-mail adresse

Emne

Besked

.contact_form {
margin-top : 50px;
display : flex;
flex-direction: column;
}

Attached: file.png (755x489, 6K)

Attached: file.png (712x443, 13K)

>developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Guide/Using_promises

How the fuck is this eloquent?

>WhyStyling.css
>WhyFunction {};
>Whyxxxxxxx

i just want to run a react application in the browser.
i don't want to do any tests. i put that there because the example had them there.

i do yarn run app.js or whatever to see the app in the browser, but it gives a error ...

The problem is that i don't know what command it is or if the package.json has to be modified...

front end sucks balls

Attached: 1523446706849s.jpg (250x250, 5K)

why would a function return a number 1, not that my does, asking for a friend

state of the function
1 -> everything went ok
0 -> everything went wrong

for example

My npm doesn't seem to detect code changes by default. Do I need a package/extension for it or something?

Doing some digging I came across forever-module and node-supervisor for nodejs... Anyone used any of these?

I'm rewriting an eloquentJS example that uses classes as purely object delegated code,

I wrote a function that creates an object that has access to the methods in the first object of the chain, so no matter how many objects I create, I can call the methods on the newly created variable,

the function that does all that returned 1 for some reason,

thanks for the clarification, it returns the object, I have no idea why though

pls respond, isn't this easy as fuck?

post jsfiddle

>progressive

jsfiddle.net/rnrjpctm/

is that a trans

redpill me on XSLT, LINQ, Entity Framework and MVC (preferred skill)

interview soon

check this example

jsfiddle.net/qb5pezgh/1/

men have to pretend be woman to fill the gender quota without having performance issues on the job.

Attached: 1523464944483s.jpg (233x250, 6K)

>wasted an hour because I used push instead of concat

feels bad being a novice

Attached: 1521907386096.png (500x375, 222K)

"Tell us about yourself"

Attached: 4.jpg (600x600, 39K)

>what about it