Dragonfly BSD 5.2

The awesomely well-engineered Dragonfly just released 5.2.
With stable HAMMER2. used by default for the root filesystem.

Attached: 1502118482840.png (150x167, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dragonflybsd.org/release52/
leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/dfly1.pdf
dragonflydigest.com/2011/10/08/8485.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ZFS cucks on suicide watch.

Why would I choose dragonflyBSD? Also are hugs allowed in this one?

explain to me why I would ever need this

>Why would I choose dragonflyBSD?
Superior SMP design based on a de-facto microkernel (LWKT) and concurrent lockfree/lockless servers rather than locks.
>Also are hugs allowed in this one?
CoC nonsense is about as likely to get into Dragonfly as it is in OpenBSD.
That is, not at all.

Attached: 1493696418962.png (660x996, 60K)

So why not just OpenBSD ?

Best file system ever designed.
Best performance of any Unix-like system.

Looks like a decent server OS

Remove the power-of-2 cpu threads limitation for netisrs. Netisrs now run on all cpu threads, improving load balancing and performance.

faggot op didnt even link to release notes..

dragonflybsd.org/release52/

more about networking performance boost

leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/dfly1.pdf

dragonflydigest.com/2011/10/08/8485.html

Bump. I want to install this on hardware so bad. I wish I could compile the freeBSD nvidia drivers.

I wish Nvidia was open source. I'll probably switch to all-AMD with my next PC.

It'd work with efifb.
Just no gfx acceleration, which isn't ideal.

if i want to play games I use windoze
if I want a secure server I use OpenBSD
if I want a good workspace I will use some *nux Os

Please explain to me. In what situation do I use DragonFly BSD 5.2 ?

I legit intended to, and failed.
FML.
>workstation
>*nux
Christ, no.
>openbsd
Is very secure, but way behind in performance. No trim support, or hammer2. Unlike freebsdopenbsd, note that there's a very friendly relationship between dfly and openbsd, with a lot of code shared back and forth. Openbsd's manifested interest in HAMMER before. A port of HAMMER2 is likely at some point.
>In what situation do I use DragonFly BSD 5.2 ?
Best performing BSD. Should be your default choice, save something like exotic hardware support or steam gayming is preventing you from using it.

Attached: 1510865683050.png (3828x2614, 3.62M)

>I'll probably switch to all-AMD with my next PC.
Same. But that's in like 7 years tbqh

OP. It's gonna be Zen2/3 TR or equivalent. So 2019 minimum, 2020 likely.
Video wise, I have nitro+ vega64. I should be ok for a while.

Attached: 1497093991336.png (1920x966, 2.54M)

>Please explain to me. In what situation do I use DragonFly BSD 5.2 ?
Because you can.
Unlike other BSD distributions, DragonflyBSD is not a fan-boys club, developers are not allergic to different licenses or other OS (including Linux or even FreeBSD).

All bsds (except freeBSD) are not going to pay NVIDIA for every update of its proprietary drivers.

Nvidia does it for free

>NVIDIA
>2018
>use external graphical card

>Nvidia does it for free
OMG, this made my day

Thank you for responding to my question.

I still fail to see how I will implement it into anything.And while a welcoming community is nice, I do not have a need to be "cuddled" or spoonfed.

>because you can

I can also use Temple OS but it does not mean I have any practical use for it

to both of you my question is still : what do i use this for ? what do i need it for ? I don't care about a 2% or 5% performance increase on my servers at the potential cost of security

>at the potential cost of security
You are not using your brain, you can't measure such things without going into denial.
Think about it, nobody is mass targeting custom setups, too expensive to write exploits for anything other than monolithic binary distributed installations.

you raise a valid point. The OpenBSD project pride itself of it's security. And while we can never be certain that it is actually "secure". We know it is pretty secure. One of the main things about the OpenBSD project is security. That's what they do. And they do it pretty well. Sure there could be 40 hidden backdoors we don't know about. implemented by 3 letter agencies. But when we work with servers we have to trust something. The DragonFly project does not in the same way pride itself of being anything. At least to my understanding. And that's why I am asking you guys what I need it for. I don't mean to be rude because I understand how many moths if not years you probably put into it.

but the thing is, if you want to make it work. You need to make it do something, and be the best at what it does

hugs are allowed everywhere, user. do you need one?

what is the name of that mango?

idk. Let me know if you figure it out, as I'm also interested. :X