Another Sailfish OS Shilling Thread!

I want a place to talk about and anything Sailfish OS or really any mobile linux OS related.

I currently run Sailfish OS on my 2013 Nexus 7, Nexus 10 (I am actually the one porting to Nexus 10), One Plus One (for sale), Droid 4, and hopefully soon, Motorola Xoom.
I have a Motorola Photon Q coming in the mail just for a solid Sailfish OS QWERTY device and am excited to get aliendalvik set up and running. I have tried FireFox OS (yes yes, dead) and Ubuntu Touch but functionally and aesthetically I prefer Sailfish OS 100%. I haven't gotten a chance to try out KDE Plasma Mobile and probably never will but I am slightly curious to try it out sometime.. What do my Jow Forums friends think? Have you used any linux mobile operating systems? Have you ever developed for linux mobile or ported it to your phone? What are your thoughts user?

Attached: Halium-devices.png (530x471, 433K)

Other urls found in this thread:

engadget.com/2018/02/26/gemini-sailfish-os-jolla-hands-on/
wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris
halium.org
openrepos.net
jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/MWC2018_press_release_FINAL.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>just for a solid Sailfish OS QWERTY device
What about the Gemini Sailfish? I don't know anything about it yet but I'm interested.
engadget.com/2018/02/26/gemini-sailfish-os-jolla-hands-on/

Why should I consider using it?

>6" display
>actual keyboard keys instead of bubbled slideout keys
>have to open it up to use it making phonecalls awkward

It'd make a great little mobile PDA/Laptop (it can actually run full-fledged linux), but as a mobile phone its pretty shit.

>SailfishOS
MUCH better battery life
Gesture based UI has a small learning curve and is much easier on all devices, especially phablets since you never need to touch the top of the display, and of course, in my opinion, aesthetic.
Also Alien Dalvik and sfdroid are portable making android app support do-able on all ports

>Ubuntu Touch
Not much experience, would not reccomend though since its pretty much dead

>FireFox OS
See Ubuntu Touch

>KDE Plasma Mobile
afaik, according to an actual developer and user I talk with, its very lightweight, fast, and has support for full desktop applications since it is basically just KDE Plasma but with a mobile UI and of course Halium (I think it's halium instead of libhybris...)

>>have to open it up to use it making phonecalls awkward
Maybe if the lid would have some e-ink display for phone calls it would be awesome. Or if it would integrate well with smartwatches so you can see the caller from there.

Thanks, what's Halium?

>E ink display
That would be neat, like a Yota phone with a keyboard but sadly it doesn't so its pretty much unusable as a phone. Hell I don't even think it has a prox sensor.

>Smart watch integration
I haven't owned many smart watches and have never made a call from one but wouldn't making a private call with a smart watch be awkward? and even if you got head phones wouldn't that rely on you have head phones with it 24/7 and fumbling in your pocket for them.... bleh.

I might look into it again since Samshit updates completely fucked the camera for the Note 4. It was the only reason I stayed in stock.
The only problem now is that I can't stop playing kusoges.

Attached: 5a105e3f7f849c6126c2777d5c7bf652.jpg (920x1088, 102K)

Okay so this is gonna hard for me since I know what libhybris is but not Halium but afaik Halium is just like libhybris. Basically libhybris and I think Halium are a layer between the Android HAL (drivers for camera and audio and touch etc.) so that Sailfish OS or Ubuntu Touch or whatever you choose to use can properly utilize your devices hardware without having to rebuild new drivers from scratch for each device. This of course sounds great until you realize that each "universal" pulseaudio package has to be tinkered to work for Sailfish OS ports, but it's still much easier than manual driver building for each device.

From what I understand you can talk to the Gemini when the lid is closed. Someone here said so. That means the only issue is that you have to open the lid anyway if you want to answer a call and see who calls. This might be resolved by using a smartwatch. You wouldn't have to actually talk into the smartwatch, you just check the caller from there if you don't want to open the lid. This is what I meant.

Note 4? I don't know if that has a stable SFOS port, maybe some other linux mobile port. I personally only ever buy phones and tablets if they have good sfos support now because I know I will be trading android for it 9/10 times.

>I personally only ever buy phones and tablets if they have good sfos support now
Can you link the place where you check them? I want a flagship tier phone with Sailfish at some point.

wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

There are some that are not in that list but that list has most of the hardcore ports. I reccomend Motorola, the developer on the IRC is very active and likes what he does. As far as tablets go... we are getting there.

For a tablet I reccomend either A: Nexus 7 2013 because it has the most stable Sailfish OS support (unless the xperia Z tab 8.0 has gotten stable, see the table, use google, etc.)
B: For a phone I would recommend a sim modded Photon Q if you like QWERTY, or a Nexus 4 if you want legendary support

I would run this if it could run all Android apps no problem. I like the idea of a no Google based OS but I need them apps baby

>Have you used any linux mobile operating systems?
android

Is Sailfish gaining any traction?

>I think it's halium instead of libhybris...
>Project Halium will contain:
>Libhybris
halium.org

bump

how's sailfish for someone coming from an N9 and following that a Blackberry?
I love gestures and I hate the "home button and the unreachable top of the screen are most important" approach ios and android have.
And especially with android, I hate the fact that it is essentially spyware, whereas ios is probably "safe" but you have no way of getting anything on or off the device, besides mailing shit to yourself. How's sailfish in those regards?

also, while I generally hate apps, there's still a handful of them out there that do have uses (OSMand,here for navigation, Railways app for train tickets, and maybe a few more that I can't really try because blackberry) so I'd like to be able to use them safely (black any and all permissions by default) and plenty, so how's the android implementation? I don't want to get me a third phone that will have noapps.

I still wonder have my Jolla that I gave away on 34c3 gotten any usage or is it just collecting dust now.

can't wait to try sailfish 3 on my xa2, looks promising

Attached: sailfish-os-1.jpg (1000x750, 247K)

how official/supported are the sony releases?
Can I really get me a sony phony and install sailfish on it and everything works and I still keep my warranty and can go back to android, should I want to do so?

hello

Attached: 20180410202825.jpg (720x1280, 78K)

I used the Jolla for at least 3 years.
Sailfish is great for your first concern: you're not being limited in your access to the device, can even turn on developer mode (i. e. root access). Though to be fair I personally had some strange issues with the MTP over USB but I don't know where the blame for that laid.
The android integration I can't really tell you too much about since that will be different for non-Jolla Sailfish handsets, but I personally wasn't very worried about using the Android apps that I used on my Jolla, because:
• the Google Apps were not installed (the default)
• you can actually kill Android apps (or the whole android-whatever)
• they cannot access things like contacts (there is no android "translation" to the native contacts)
• I don't think they can mess with device settings (turn GPS on etc.)
• it still shows all used permissions during install, and I wouldn't have installed an app if it asked for too much
Since it's far nicer to use native apps maybe you can find out if the ones you want to use exist. Sadly I don't know how to look at the store without the Saifish app, but you can look at this alternative store that also has a few apps openrepos.net from a browser.

We need more Sailfish OS shills!!
I really really hope that the Livermorium hardware keyboard slider phone will come out sometime soon because I've gone back to android (since there are no current phones with Sailfish :/ ) and that concept looks like EXACTLY what I want!

There is only the Sony Xperia X that has official Sailfish (you need to pay extra for it [in part due to license reasons])

>New Sailfish devices announced in MWC 2018 include upcoming support for the brand new Sony’s XperiaTM XA2. In collaboration with Sony Open Device Program, Jolla will make Sailfish OS available for the XperiaTM XA2. Through the Sailfish X program interested tech heads can purchase an official Sailfish X license and install the OS on their brand new Sony’s XperiaTM XA2 devices.

jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/MWC2018_press_release_FINAL.pdf

Hold on, Android apps can't read contacts? So my messenger app wouldn't be able to read contacts or what?

>• it still shows all used permissions during install, and I wouldn't have installed an app if it asked for too much
I already do this on my blackberry, which can't do permission management on android, but I'd rather be able to manage it.
Eg. a camera app could ask for camera access, storage, GPS and web.
The first two are obvious and needed and the second two could also be legitimate (ie geotagging and a "share" button) but since I don't need that, I would simply want to be able to switch that off. Now if it ask for permissions to read my contacts, that's an immidiate "nope, won't install".
>• they cannot access things like contacts (there is no android "translation" to the native contacts)
is that only with contacts or any other android "locations", like photos or music?

>you need to pay extra for it [in part due to license reasons])
Wouldn't really mind paying, but if I do, I expect a working product and a seller that has responsibilities for said product. I know, I'm old…

I just use stock huawei marshmallow
only real issue was rewriting the files to allow the gyroscope to run properly, but frankly I just want stability in my daily driver.

Any linux variant for s7edge

Someone ported it to my old phone which was a droid RAZR m, and I've got a few thoughts.
Camera quality seems to be decent and general performance is also good.
There doesn't seem to be any autocorrect or options for the keyboard (long press for symbols, number row, etc).

>MUCH better battery life
I can attest to this. Battery lasts much longer even when the screen is on.
>Gesture based UI has a small learning curve and is much easier on all devices
I have to disagree with this. The UI and navigation method is shit compared to android. The only way to open an app is to go into the app drawer. When you have too many apps open the grid on your homescreen becomes too small. You cannot access your notifications while you are inside an app.
>aesthetic
Again, going to have to disagree. Sailfish OS has a very distinct design (which isn't bad), but there is very little you can change. Comparing it to android with KLWP and substratum themes makes it out to be a joke.

Actually I'm not sure now... Don't have it to hand to check, either.
I might have confused that with adding new contacts (cause that was a little annoying when using WhatsApp)

Is sailfish so much better than PureOS or any other free/open mobile OS?

Wa happen to the Librem Phone?
Couple of months ago Jow Forums was jizzing over the fact that they are finally going to get a phone with muh pure loonix

>Have you used any linux mobile operating systems?
Like android?

I actually bought a xperia x because of sailfish OS. Still hesitating though, not because of the price but because there are some weird bugs when I look at their forum desu. Idk if it's for me after all.

didn't this shit die like 3 years ago?

Android apps can access contacts on Sailfish, you just have to enable it from the Android support settings.