/pen/ general

/pen/ general

Attached: ti arto.jpg (980x739, 482K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eE7xaKZf9Ew
youtu.be/4N3WQprjoYM?t=80
youtube.com/watch?v=fda0qTUmCFM
youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4avj-DR7E
gouletpens.com/lamy-safari-fountain-pen-all-black-fine-special-edition/p/LMY-L44F
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is the guy who works in the quality control department of the pen factory a pen tester?

i will fucking sue

kek

Sharpie in pooper pls

Left to right
Montegrappa invincia
Pilot VP Matte Black
Lamy Safari
Pilot MP
Some shitty Platinum Preppy
Kaweco Sport Demonstrator
TWSBI ECO Demonstrator.

I need help deciding on my next pen

Pilot E52s
MontBlanc Heritage Et Noire
Visconti Homo Sapiens

Attached: IMG_20180405_212614.jpg (4048x3036, 2.66M)

Neat. I also have that VP. I really fucked up choosing that color, the paint is really bad and chips easily. On the other hand the nib is beautiful to use. Which one do you like the most of those?

Also just get the MB if you can't afford it. The Visconti may be a bit better but a Mont Blanc is a Mont Blacn you know what I mean?
What ink do you use? Currently using Iroshizuku kirisame in the VP and kosumosu in a gray lamy al star

I totally use the VP as my daily driver, inked up with Magnetic Blue by Caran d'Ache The matte black scratches like hell. The band that connects the two halves is now silver

The MB is what I was thinking. Homo Sapiens would really dent my bank account. Plus the sweet edgy snake clip/nib

Sweet, been meaning to try the Caran d'Ache inks too but there's just so many cool pilot inks and they never failed me even on cheap paper that I'm reluctant to try anything else. And yeah the snake clip looks cool too.

I was trying to find an ink that was blue, but not vibrant. Magnetic Blue is like the perfect balance of grey and blue. //not sure how bad chan compresses the image

Attached: IMG_20180411_001208.jpg (4048x3036, 2.13M)

Attached: 1505956799578.png (245x210, 14K)

Really digging that blue, too bad I have more ink bottles than pens I actually use already. Not gonna but any more soon lol
These are my daily drivers hope the handwriting is legible.

Attached: 59C96C46-89A4-4EFF-80B2-C377230D0A79.jpg (3024x3314, 2.11M)

Excellent handwriting! A couple years in an engineering firm has left me with crazy kerning, I might have forgotten how to write a lowercase letter or two aswell. I have your red ink as well, I use it in my invincia at work (to mark up drawings) Once you go water based ink its hard to want anything else

Yeah these inks are fantastic. Odd to see somebody else using fountain pens on Jow Forums

I definitely did a double take when I saw pen thread. The active community is really reserved for Reddit. Nice to one on one with another collector.

>ink filled pens win 2018
Good luck ruining the paper with marks on the back retard.

Muji 0.38 best pen for price

Attached: muji.jpg (600x600, 18K)

>implying I use shit paper with an 150$ pen

Attached: IMG_-klgn14.jpg (399x133, 13K)

What's the technology behind pens in the current year?

heard a bic sticc can write for 20 miles

I know this might not be the right thread to ask such a stupid question, but how could a borderline retard improve his handwriting skills?

Asking for a friend.

Do you really have to? Your handwriting is your own and as long as you understand it what else do you need? All communication with others is done digitally and verbally, nobody sends written messages anymore.

to me it's like not being able to cook an omelette, sure with modern take out no one has to cook if they don't want to anymore, but god damn does it still feel wrong. Especially since I still have to share my notes every so often

>I need help deciding next pen
>pilot
No idea what this pen is. Search brings up peedboats and this thread.

>MB
Presumably rouge et noir?
I have issues with this pen. When I first heard about it I was excited, then when the first user reports came out I was filled with disgust. The discussion in the MB design department must have gone something like this:
>hey! let's just shove a converter inside and permanently glue that bitch in there instead of our tried and tested differential piston filler that we've been successfully using since before WW2, thus using the one filling mechanism that is the absolute worst of both worlds without any benefit :D:D:D

Make no mistake, any fountain pen that uses a captive converter. Hard to clean and maintain AND minuscule ink capacity. Worst of both worlds. There have been reports of rattling when held in hand. I tried the brown one in-store that didn't exhibit any of that. Users unsure whether or not the rattle comes from a ballbearing/solenoid in the converter to break up ink (traditional piston fillers don't need this), or just shoddy construction.
I'm now hunting for an agatha christie instead; so much for what I had hoped would be a budget version.

>homohomo
Everything you've heard about visconti, their lack of quality, shoddy construction, poor service turnaround etc. Basically everything you read when you search "visconit problems" is true.
Don't buy into the "oh buy I bought one and it's fine!!!". Yours won't be.

They look nice, but don't be tempted. The hassle's not worth it.
If the pen actually writes at all, as in, the nib is properly tuned (3/100 visconti's), then you'll most likely have construction problems later on: cracks, glue failing, enamel print rubbing off.
Avoid. I have a HS. Would strongly not recommend it, or any visconti.

Maybe if you get one from mottishaw? But even then, you'll be doing the QC return dance in no time.

I can suggest other shit if you have some specific preferences.

I just got a Sheaffer PFM with the snorkel filling mechanism. It was the last hurrah of the American pen industry and they gave it their all.
Stupidly over designed and needlessly complicated, beautiful, but compared to the horror of disposable ballpoints that were to come, nothing could withstand.

Attached: snork.jpg (750x375, 43K)

youtube.com/watch?v=eE7xaKZf9Ew
MAN-SIZED
Too bad such ads wouldn't go down well in [CURRENT YEAR]. Not even ironically.

Get a book and practice. IAMPETH has a good selection, look into stuff like business writing.

I have two Tombow Zoom 101 fountain pens :)
Using black ink and iroshizuku yu-yake!

Attached: IMG_20180411_081128.jpg (4000x3000, 3.94M)

my lamy safari seems scratchy compared to my pilot metro, the metro is hella smooth. is this normal for the safari?

yo /pen/

what's the best pen for around the $20 or less range. preferably something fine as I write quite small.

to the user who told me to look up how artists hold their pens in order to write better with a fountain pen, thank you. I realized that i never bothered to correct my technique with my left hand, only my right. im an idiot. now all i need is a job to fuel my addiction

Attached: 1522357317355.png (270x320, 103K)

I am retart. It's the Pilot e95s I was looking at.

Yeah, again, retart, I am talking about the Rouge et noire, Is there a shitty capacity of the piston filler? I have had nothing but good things with my TWSBI Eco and it's got such a large ink capacity. I wish I had a B&m to try these things out first. I think MB offers a warranty when you buy their pens. Might just be worth it if I get a lemon. hmm. Thanks for the lesson on Visconti, I had no idea. They can sit there and sell the Pininfarina for 2 grand on Goulet and they can't evennget QC down? I'll look at Mottishaw, any reccomendations?

Definitely was looking for one of these before I saw how much I'd need to replace if they weren't pristine..

No problem user, I'm glad it helped.

I've spent an ungodly amount of money on stationery in the last couple of weeks.

Attached: IMG_2043.jpg (1100x825, 262K)

Not at all. I have a safari and is smoother than all the other pens I have.

Finally bought the refill, from grant money. Just wanted to let you know your taxes are getting used for very important cause.

Attached: ballsack.jpg (2592x1944, 2.15M)

thats a really good looking pen user. nice buy

My TWBI Eco EF is scratchy as hell
Bought Micro Mesh pads, arriving this Friday. Wish me luck Jow Forums.

Fake.

>e95s
Didn't know that they still made those.
I had a cheapo steel nibbed pilot that has a similar construction, though the nib was hooded.
Very light, flimsy feeling. And the converter was one of those sacced squeeze bar converters. Bought a few from the pilot store once when they had a sale.
Don't really think this gold nibbed one is worth it. Maybe if you're hungering for a pocket pen or something.

>Yeah, again, retart, I am talking about the Rouge et noire, Is there a shitty capacity of the piston filler?
The deal is that the RetN isn't a "real" piston filler, at least, not like the real piston fillers in the 146 (legrand), the 149 and virtually all the the MB writer's editions and patron of the arts limited editions that are worth giving a damn about.

You know what a converter is, right? The removable kind. Now, imagine that thing, or, really, something very similar to it, that is permanently fixed inside the barrel of the RetN. A real piston filler uses the barrel of of the pen as a reservoir, a captive converter doesn't, it uses the converter and the pen's barrel is just a hollow shell. Your Eco is a real piston filling mechanism; it's not a pen with a converter glued inside permanently, and the ink fills the barrel itself.

These things suck anus because:
They don't hold as much ink as a real piston mechanism and they make maintenance much more involved.
A regular cartridge converter pen is easy to take care of: twist open the pen into it's two pieces: nibsection+cap, and barrel. Yank out the converter, flush nib section with water, and if the converter just can't be salvaged, throw it out and buy another, because they're cheap. If the converter is affixed to the barrel, that negates the c/c filler's one advantage: ease of cleaning and maintenance, and it's not like you get the +'s of a piston filler either, since the captive converter holds a converter's fill of ink, which is less than a typical piston reservoir.

Attached: converter.jpg (2000x2000, 237K)

The M nib from my Lamy Studio is somewhat scratchy while the F from my Safari is really smooth, I guess it can be QC issues.

Write slower. Try different thickness, and see what you like best. Check how other people write some letters. Even if the writing is not pretty, try to be consistent, easier said than done though.

Oh man I really want a rotring 600, but like you said
>spent an ungodly amount of money on stationery
at least for my pocket.

Attached: 28745687456.jpg (2000x1458, 1.12M)

So, what is this filling mechanism good for?
Nothing. It's simply a way for a company to save money, because engineering a real piston filling mechanism takes effort.
The real joke is that MB has been using real piston mechs since the beginning: ie. after Pelikan first introduced them to the German market in the late 1920's.

The RetN wouldn't be a bad pen if they'd just made it a cartridge/converter. filler. Shit, the fakes have one up on the real one because they use a c/c. All it's done is basically made a disabled, retard pen. In my eyes. And in the eyes of many a MB collector, though there was the usual cucked kind of buyer's remorse from those that had already rushed out to buy the thing: "oh but I like it anyway - I'm not mad!!" reaction when the true nature of the filling mechanism was brought to light after a while.
The problem is that MB advertise the pen as a using a traditonal piston filler. It isn't, but such semantics are going to go over the heads of most of MB's buyers, who usual buy it or get given a pen and know nothing beyond how to fill it (and even then sometimes that's a struggle for the braindead).

So, it's not a real piston filler, not by any enthusiast's definition. Montegrappa played this shit when they released their 1930's extra model.
It had a captive converter. The (few) fans of Montegrappa threw a shitfit and the later editions were changed to a real piston mechanism.
Now it's not a bad pen. Overpriced compared to the competition, but at least not a truly overpriced piece of shit.

>Visconiti
Is a joke. They *design* wonderful pens, but they can't make them for shit and their nibs rarely write well.
Buying a V from mottishaw in the USA would at least (hopefully) yield you with a V that actually wrote out of the box, which is more than can be said for most cases, but it won't help you if the pen has some structural fault beyond the nib (which is mottishaw's purview), and with Visconti that is always a distinct possibility.

Attached: mb telescopic piston filling mechanism fountainbel.jpg (1024x768, 426K)

>Buying something that you can get off the floor for free
Autism general.

Anyone ever tried out a Pigma Micron PN?

Attached: pigma.jpg (798x684, 96K)

Go onto ebay, or look at any of the well established pen restorers and pick one up that's been "serviced".
Done.
The pen should work.
I tell you what though, I'm finding it a real fucking bitch to get the old ink out. The guy that restored mine obviously tested it, and I don't want to use the same ink he did so I'm trying to flush that shit out.
Always thought that the grumblings from those trying to flush a snorkel filler (or a parker vacumatic) was just hyperbole:
It's not.
These pens were made in the day one you had one pen, and one bottle of ink, and you used that same ink and colour forever.

youtu.be/4N3WQprjoYM?t=80

I once made vow never again to buy any sac-based pens.
I had to make an exception for this PFM.
It came in a set (with original box) with a matching propelling pencil), and it had one hell of a miraculous nib: a stub.
Rare to find on PFM.
So I grabbed that bitch and have been flushing it ever since.

Attached: pfmsnorkel.jpg (525x724, 73K)

Boys, can anyone here suggest a pen for someone with very very small handwirting? Pic related is my mechanical pencil.
I've been using microns in 0.25 but I also draw with them, and swapping back and forth the tip seems to get really worn from all the writing I do with them. I don't want to opt for any less than their archival ink though.
I've been looking at the micron PNs, as I know they're for notes and not drawing but have the same ink.

I've heard of the pilot hi-tec-c (or any of the synonyms), and I've heard that it's the best for small handwriting, and for consistent fine lines of precise width (I wouldn't like a fountain pen for this reason, unless I'm mistaken about their drawbacks). I need the pen to be something like the micron in that it dries fast too - does the pilot meet these criteria? Will I be able to open and old notebook and smudge the ink with my finger weeks later like I can with the 0.25 muji pens?

Attached: 25516.jpg (600x400, 38K)

I'm not familiar with the pilot.
You could get a uniball signo "ultra micro" if you're worried about archival properties.
It says 0.38 on the label.
I don't get your hangup with the fountain though (a properly tuned nib will write a consistent line), though I wouldn't really recommend one to you for super ultra fine writing anyway. Ultra fine needlepoints do exist, but the ones I know of actually come with a little flossing tool to get rid of the paper fibres that'll inevitably get caught between the tines.
Here's the platinum 3776 with their ultraextrafine (which means it's even finer than you think compared to western nibs since jap nibs always run a size smaller compared to wester nibs of the same width designation).
youtube.com/watch?v=fda0qTUmCFM

And here's the sailor sabi-togi:
youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4avj-DR7E

Attached: sef.jpg (1000x800, 58K)

I have some on the way.
I've heard good stories about them but like all pens is just to try and figure out which one fits you.

I don't mean to doubt your knowledge, nor shit on your spirit of experimentation, but is the EF really "scratchy"?

A scratchy nib is well and truly defective, but a toothy nib, or a nib with a little feedback, isn't. It's just according to taste in that regard.
It's just that I've heard this before
>oh! my extra fine is teh scratch-scratch!
from someone that was used to using say, a medium or something.
A finer nib will always be a little more feedbacky, toothy, than a broader nib is all.

Also, I would recommend buying a bunch of chinese cheapies to experiment on instead of risking ruin to your eco's nib, tough it's not like they're not easily replaced if you fuck it up.
Again, I've seen others wreck far more costly pens on their first try in nib smoothing.
I'm too chicken to take the risk, though I've got that mesh shit lying about somewhere or other against the day.
I just buy more and more pens to replace the faulty ones instead because I have a mental problem :^)

I don't know about you, but the only pens I've ever found on the floor were cheap Bics, Pilots, etc.

You forgot
Dustbunny raped and methhead chewed.
No thank you.
If I looked forward to free classroom roadkill for my needs I'd be a vulture or a communist.

Lamy Safari is hands down the best poorfag pen. Been actively using mine for more than a year and it has never let me down.

have you ever written on a good piece of paper?

French pen best pen

Attached: 0820016002.jpg (900x900, 29K)

What do you people think bout this pen

Attached: zebra-f-xmd-ballpoint-v1.jpg (700x184, 11K)

I'm trying to remember how many of these I've lost throughout my life.
And how many of them disappeared into the abyss with only the blue section having substantial use.
Multicolor pens are truly worst meme.

Attached: 1503024946421.png (113x126, 27K)

Attached: 1522651000501.jpg (500x339, 83K)

Attached: image.jpg (720x720, 115K)

I threw away all my pens, and now only use the Faber

Attached: 15234796015152515554940164553954.jpg (4048x3036, 2.11M)

Fountain penners unite!

Attached: 20180411_170125.jpg (4032x3024, 2.6M)

CARLOS!

I've actually bought a lot of Chinese pens recently, usually EFs and they're all smoother. It's not necessarily that my Eco is toothy, it literally scratches the paper and some fibers get stuck in the nib.
I've done some tine alignment with a loupe, adjusted the flow with a brass sheet and some nib polishing using mylar paper, but it's still scratchy.

Don't mind me, just posting TECHNOLOGY in a TECHNOLOGY forum

Attached: 20180411_171818-01.jpg (3320x524, 633K)

Pens are technology

all these pens yet your handwriting is still absolute shot

For the small-minded luddite, of course it is.

No, for anyone who doesn't redefine the definition of "technology" to only suit things he likes.

The 600 is actually the cheapest out of what’s on display in that pic.

who dip here

Attached: tachkawa.jpg (3264x2448, 1.13M)

Looks good, still one of my biggest regrets. It wasn't used for 3 years because i can't justify spending money on those refills anymore.
No need to be envious. You bought your nvidya titan, i bought my MB. Next time spend your money on other meaningless shit like pens or watches and you can join our club.

これはペンです。

What do you mean refill? It's not a fountain pen?

I've been wanting to try those out for illustration, in particular, some of the G nibs out there. I've been playing around with a bunch of these brush pens lately, and I like the pressure gradients. Definitely more lively than the fineliners I'm used to.

Attached: IMG_20180406_095017.jpg (704x938, 150K)

I like the pilot razor point 2 over the micron

Attached: Pilot+Razor+Point+II+Ultra+Fine.jpg (1000x750, 185K)

what are the last 3 pens?

>> hairy

Attached: hairy.jpg (352x435, 115K)

Kuretake Bimoji and Zebra Disposable Brush Pens. They're just in different tip sizes.

Sailor is love, Sailor is life.

Haven't bought myself a Lamy yet, looking forward to getting myself a sleek black safari when it comes out in hopefully a couple days. Any recommendations on the nib to get?

gouletpens.com/lamy-safari-fountain-pen-all-black-fine-special-edition/p/LMY-L44F

Attached: 7f45c8ec-c9e9-4b09-8755-aa44623b1ae2.jpg (1500x1000, 115K)

Yeah, you definitely got me turned off from that MB model now. Not gonna get cucked by blanc. I already fill my VP twice or three times a week, I just assumed the girth of the pen and then enclosed "piston" meant it had a large capacity. Sounds like a lot of points of failure. Gonna look into that brand you recommended if I don't go with the e95s

>Sounds like a lot of points of failure
And that's the issue.
It's making a pen with so many parts compared to a traditional piston filler even (not their 1950's pistons; those were complicated and cool), with no merit to the enterprise.
Consider the PFM
It's complicated, but it's an interesting complication.
A converter stuck in the pen presents no complexity, just problem if and when it needs to be removed and repaired. See pic, lower right for the converter lol.

Small ink capacity, and there are reports of quick ink evaporation so the cap seals aren't good. The coral red version also has a discrepancy between the lacquered barrel body's red colour and the "piston" turning knob, which is a red plastic - they couldn't even be bothered matching that shit. They shat the bed with this pen, hard.

For future reference: the heritage 1912 pseudo saftey filler that so many are going apeshit over (the pen with the redundant retractible nib) also uses this flawed filling mechanism.

Unless you're going for a special or limited edition, the ONLY montblancs worth buying in the modern lineup are the old reliable classics:
>Meisterstück 146 "le grand"
>Meisterstück 149 "diplomat"
Everything else is trash (with exception of some Solitaires).
Don't even get me started on their ballpoints and rollerballs lmao.

>Gonna look into that brand you recommended
?
I haven't recommended anything.

Attached: mbrougeetnoirbreakdown.jpg (800x800, 97K)

Any recommendations on a good rollerball/ballpoint pen? I have a zebra f701 now, but I want to upgrade. Was thinking about going with Rotring but desu their mech pencil is meh.

Is LAMY good?

Here's a variation of a piston filler:
Omas old style Paragon Bronze Arco, vs the (new style) Milord.

The old paragon (top) uses a traditional omas piston mechanism, much like the one invented by pelikan and eventually disseminated to all other german brands including MB.

It's ingeniously simple, and has no redundant parts.
The new style of piston mechanism was introduced with the remake of some Omas pens.

It's in the style of a captive converter, yes, but at least it's not just and actual off the shelf converter lol. They put effort into designing this shit. Not sure why they did it; probably didn't want the ink interfering with the celluloid barrel and staining it or something. Regardless, the last Omas pens made had this extra-complicated mechanism - to no benefit. Smaller ink capacity too. Harder to clean and maintain yourself, which is a real fucking problem since Omas went out of business 2 years ago. Still, at least it's not just a basic converter glued in there.

Sailor uses a similar style piston module inside their Realo pens.

I have no problems with these fillers since they took effort to design and construct. They have merit.

Just bought the old style paragon in bronze arco, specifically that old style because I can disassemble it easily myself and maintain it now that there are no Omas service centers left in the world.

Attached: omas.jpg (1200x901, 347K)

Does there exist an all metal pen that isn't fat? The closest I've found is the hexomatic, but it feels kind of cheap.

faggot

Is the space pen good?

There's the lamy cp1, comes in ball, roller and fountain. Pretty thin. Dunno of it feels flimsy.

What does Jow Forums think about this Chinese brand, I like the design and I am about to pull the trigger on this one, anyone had a Kaco before?

Attached: 543543543.png (1689x920, 613K)

Personally, I'm weighing getting a machined pen and dropping in a good rollerball refill (Uniball Signo DX, Pilot Juice etc). Options I've seen (there are a ton of little companies making them) are the Render K, Tactile Turn Mover, the Ti Techliner, or the Ti Arto

>tfw

I will never forget you buddy, you were more than just a disposable pen.

Attached: ded.jpg (5984x3366, 3.92M)

Ballpoint. I hate writing with fountain pens.

That's my current favorite pen too

Attached: pens.jpg (1512x2016, 890K)

any good pens you could recommend from aliexpress? not looking for anything in particular except for quality.

Attached: 17800108_1231135420335268_6813881717318472361_n.jpg (960x960, 98K)