Be tech company

>be tech company
>spend millions of dollars in R&D on smartphone
>spend hours upon hours on coming up with an ergonomic design that is light and comfortable while feeling great to hold
>be consumer
>buy said product
>slap on a huge, massive, cheap feeling case that you have to deal with constantly that (might) protect your phone if you drop it (if anything you’re more likely to drop it from try to shove that shit in your pocket or handling it)
>completely ruin the nice feel on the phone, essentially like putting ketchup on a steak

Don’t tell me you’re that guy Jow Forums

Attached: image.jpg (285x285, 44K)

i am

phones are made of the cheapest metal possible, all looking completely identical except in margins around the touch screen and screen size and camera placement, its a complete fucking joke of design and garters absolutely no respect considering how similar and shitty they all look

what i keep protected and whats to be admired is the components and circuitry inside, its almost amazing what we can reduce in form factor because of the spending power of normies but because the gooks assembling my phone shipped it over to break as soon as possible i have to buy an ugly ass case that looks like it was made for protecting against down syndrome children throwing it against walls

Holy shit take a breath jeez man wtf

>spend lots e mony on a fragile piece of glass&metal
>don't protect it
>it holds all your data, contacts, pictures etc
>you now have to either buy a new phone and lose everything that isn't in the botnet or let some repair guy snoop on your phone

...or

>put a piece of plastic around the screen to get better grip and prevent any possible damage from accidents

inb4 "just take care of it xD" it's a stupid fucking argument it's like saying you don't need a helmet because for your entire life you never slipped and smashed your head on the concrete so far so what could possibly go wrong in the future?

>spend hundreds of dollars on a featureless glass iClone
>don't protect your investment or plan ahead for unexpected obstacles or mistakes because you believe you're above it
>eventually drop and shatter your piece of featureless glass shit when you do what people with lives do and go outside and/or inevitably become preoccupied with life-related things enough to relieve your death grip
>all for muh aesthetic feels that generally aren't even that good on a device made by an OEM that doesn't even care to design their own cases that blend with the phone's design
Don't tell me you're that guy OP

mad caselets

If fools could see how foolish they were, we'd all be wise men. Don't bother pointing this out to them.

So... Do you hate freedom?

>be consumer
>buy a 200 dollar phone
>it does literally everything a phone is useful for
>don't put a bulky case on it
>drop it constantly
>still works

Apart from the odd retard like a few in this thread most of these cases are designed for trades people who would only use them at work. Normal people don’t need to protect there phone from being dropped from the roof of a house while installing tiles.

>>spend hours upon hours on coming up with an ergonomic design that is light and comfortable while feeling great to hold
But this is simply not true (apart from light). No single contemporary smartphone is ergonomic and easy to hold in any way.
They're all way to big, way to thin, way to slippery and now they also lack bezels to grab them on without triggering soft-buttons on the screen.
Due to this reason alone, cases are mandatory if you actually want to use your fucking phone.

Last good design was pic related.
The N9 was perfectly ergonomic and robust without a case, still felt plenty premium but was made out of a sensible material, but if you wanted some additional grippyness and shock absorbancy, you simply put on the case that came with it included in the box that did not change its design in any way.

Attached: nokia_n9_00.jpg (400x300, 35K)

Wouldn't that imply that those posters don't have cases by calling them caselets

There are no rugged iPhones what invalidates your point completely.

i hate a lot of cases, but still use a clear one on my phone that's made to be minimal while still stopping any slight damage it may take.

the only time i ever see value from it is when wearing gym shorts or whatever and squatting down, causing the phone to fall about a foot onto the tile. not a huge deal but with the case there I don't have any fear of it at all.

>be manufacturer
>make phone entirely out of glass and hopes & dreams because then when the end user drops it they will be forced to buy a new one
>is surprised when the end user fits a rubber case that lessens the effects of being dropped

I use a case and I don't give a fuck.

Sue me, OP.

Attached: 1521796776935.gif (316x226, 646K)

>not using a see through case and protective glass.
Would dumb the case if phones weren't so slippery now
Front glass is great because of scratch protection.

Attached: 101108861B-2.jpg (750x750, 26K)

I like the way an otterbox feels

This was more about some of the bulkier cases I’ve seen on phones. Hell I use a case myself but it’s thin and it’s nice to have a different texture.

What I don’t understand is why average consumers buy bulletproof cases from their phone and then log it around like a brick.

I'm that guy and cellphone cases work. I regularly drop and throw my phone across the room. My screen has never cracked and my phone is 4 years old

I've dropped my phone dozens of times and it has no damage. Cases are awesome.

I pretty much have to otherwise my phone would get absolutely destroyed in a matter of hours at work. You also get used to it after a while. But I've often thought about how it sucks that we have to cover up our nice, sleek phones with bulky cases, but I see no other alternative until actually crack/shatter resistant glass is invented

Start out with new phone, trying to do it right get nice case to wear all the time.

After two weeks use gets boring, need something new. "Case just doesn't feel right"

Take off case, glorious raw feeling all day. Immediately impregnate phone, remove sim abandon, buy new phone.

You'll, never get my child support samsung

>be consume drone
>buy a delicate piece of glass filled with microelectronics for several hundreds of dollars
>fumble
>drop it
>it's destroyed
>not designed for repairability
>buy a new one

I'm using a Motorola that has quite a rough surface but also doesn't bother you and feels really nice so I don't use a case. I also hold the phone with my pinky under the phone so I never dropped the phone in the 2 years I've been using it. If the phone was made out of some really smooth metal or glass then I'd definitely consider buying a case.

>using stuff that need a case but doesn't come with one
LMAO

I cant anymore. I just fucking realized what i am doing here. I am arguing with some faggots on the internet about wether or nit having a case on your phone makes you better. I just cant anymore. I am too tired.

>crack/shatter resistant glass
We don't live in a fantasy world user. There's no such thing as indestructible anything. The glass that's used in phones is already very tough and very intricately engineered, it is not just 'molten sand'.

First step to enlightenment. If you want to use a case do it, if not, don't. No one cares if you use a case or not, or really how well you protect or take care of your possessions. Some people might be able to get away with never using a case and keeping their phone in pristine condition, some may not. It doesnt matter

Its not so much about making it tough, its re-engineering phone design away from tough, rigid edges and in my opinion step away from glass altogether. Back in the day the protective covering over LCD screens basically never cracked unless it took some extremely serious direct trama, but the LCD displays themselves would often crack and bleed. We've basically just switched out problems. I dunno why we can't just use plastic instead of glass other than "it feels more premium", which I just think is the result of a lack of urgency in plastics/polymers R&D. Im not delusional in thinking that a perfect solution exists, but I do think there's room for improvement other than going from "cracks if you look at it funny" to "basically a coin flip if it falls more than 2 feet", which is where we're at now.

Why havent we seen a phone with rubberized backing/edges? Why aren't phones with inherent flexibility being made? Why aren't glass front/back plates being made to be replaced by your average consumer at the very least? I know it all circles around to money, but Im almost certain there's ways to do it and be more profitable.

Greed is the answer to most of your questions. Retards who see smartphones as fashion accessories and status symbols, is the answer to the rest of your questions. I use a 2016 J5, it's the ideal smartphone for me and maybe you, it has plastic around the edges of it's slightly recessed screen (you can feel it but not see it).

>spend hours upon hours coming What are you talking about? Do you even know what ergonomic means? All phones nowadays use the old iPhone rectangular desing, nobody bothers coming up with anything new.
And I have a big hand, without my rubberized case the phone would be too fragile and too thin to hold properly.

only tech illiterate imbeciles buy iPhones so I'm not sure what the fuck were you expecting

I've used multiple generations of iPhones across 10 years and I've never once suffered any significant damage from dropping a single one of them. I've never used a case in my life. Lose some weight if your fat sausage fingers can't keep a tight enough grip to stop from dropping your phone every 15 seconds.

I got a case for the first time for my Galaxy S8+.
The glass back is so damn slippery that it fell out of my pocket while in a car.
Glass and aluminium are not good materials for portable tech.

>"I don't need a seatbelt, I never crash!"

I just slapped on a dbrand skin on my s7 for a better texture than the slippery ass back

Attached: scared.png (500x400, 204K)

Do you actually wear a helmet tho user?

So, are screen protectors useful or they are placeboo?

Plastic is already a thing.
The problem is the display itself.

Are otterbox cases overrated?

>be billion dollar company
>design phone so that all sides are slippery glass bullshit with no texture to help grip
>use most fragile materials possible to ensure damage occurs at a drop of any height
>intentionally design phone so that repair is excruciatingly difficult
>increase price every year without limit
>see consumer put protective case on phone
>get mad and post on a korean bbq chatroom about it
I'm sorry that your "ergonomic design" was ruined by adding actual functionality Shill-san. Maybe don't make such a shit product and it won't be necessary.

I only use a Peel case on my phone.

The only problem that I have with it is that after maybe a year the case starts getting loose. Probably because I take it off every so often to clean it out, or it gets wet/humid due to the weather here and having it in my jeans pocket while it's raining (or taking it outside when it is raining/etc.)