>rebase
>pull
>fetch
>merge
>squash
>origin/master
>clean
>HEAD

Who the fuck came up with this godforsaken terminology? How the fuck am I supposed to remember all of this esoteric syntax? I fucking hate working in groups.

Attached: file.png (300x300, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ffBJ4sVUb4
bitkeeper.org/man/All.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're idiomatic, what alternatives would you have come up with?

who knows I usually have to start my repo from scratch every few commits because I fuck up by doing a merge and push instead of a rebase and squash

linus designed it to be hard to use if you didn't spend time properly learning it. a retard barrier, if you will.

>Who the fuck came up with this godforsaken terminology?
people smarter than you

Wait he designed git too? What a madman

Attached: lin.jpg (1072x775, 92K)

Came here to say this. Git is a brainlet filter made to prevent stupid people from submitting kernel patches.

Attached: 1407215520700.png (640x480, 452K)

If you can't figure out git, you probably shouldnt be writing code.

Hey brainlet you may not have realize but you're dealing with timelines and fucking with history. Nothing concerning time is ever simple.

> Who the fuck came up with this godforsaken terminology?
Programmers that definitely needed a distributed version control system with a notion of various branches "here" and "there".

This is simple overall. There are only a few somewhat unintuitive bits to git, the rest is very quickly learned.

> How the fuck am I supposed to remember all of this esoteric syntax?
Slightly below average intelligence, or better.

Hi brainlet. What's it like having a low IQ?

>fucked up merge and push
>starting the repo from scratch helps somehow
what?

>hate working in groups
well luckily you have git here to help you and not some fucked shit like svn

Just use Mercurial or Fossil, user.

>torvalds
>smart
Choose one and only one.

Torvalds is a simple man who likes to keep his data simple. The great thing about git is that it doesn't try to be too smart about things. Being smart is left as a task for the user.

Attached: git.png (624x431, 18K)

>simple
>that image

If only your brain was capable of learning.

Keep at it-- you'll get it with experience. Git is never intuitive, and is implemented in a different way ever so slightly at every company I've ever worked at.

thx user, I'm trying

It just seems like whenever I get stuck the resources online never work because they are designed for huge in-house deployments and not just clean individual repos

> your need to know about fetch/rebase/clean/merge to submit to linux
Commit and send-mail is enough

if git is too difficult of a concept for you to grasp then maybe software development isnt for you.

Perhaps try the arts

Problem Solved.

Attached: 1-main-view.png (1440x900, 278K)

>I fucking hate working in groups
got bad news for you buddy...
(unless you are some programming god / freelancer, you better get used to working with other developers)

>Git is a brainlet filter made to prevent stupid people from submitting kernel patches
linux only accepts kernel patches through e-mail. now who's the brainlet?

>programming god
That's the way I chose.

I am non native engrish speaker and I even I do not have trobule with these terms. They make perfect sense.

>gitkraken
delete that botnet.

beautiful

>some 420 stoner baby who enrolled in CS because he wanted to make games had to take software101 and now can't remember simple terms, let alone abstract concepts thanks to the terminal mass of dope in his brain

You have to look at it as a file system rather than a version control system.
It's still a bad interface, but then you can at least understand why it is the way it is.

I found this very helpful: youtube.com/watch?v=1ffBJ4sVUb4

You must be even simpler than that image if you can't grasp it

>It's still a bad interface
It's really not, you're just stupid.

>blame

Attached: 1520011800797.jpg (882x731, 93K)

Linus himself says it has a bad interface.

>t. brainlet wannabe

it's better than everything before it, including svn

you should be thankful.

He already took that back in 2007.

SVN is better for solo work or work in a small group. Git is only needed for when you get into larger groups or if you have developers of different skill levels (interns working on a project) and need to monitor their code.

I honestly think linus copied the commands from bitkeeper, the program the linux devs used before git

bitkeeper.org/man/All.html

>switch/checkout
>change code
>commit and push
>pull request
>approve
>merge
Gee wiz I did it!
Or
>work on code
>cherrypick commits or merge everything into current branch
That was hard whoooooweee

Some commands might similar names, but very different meanings.

The git commands all refer to the way git works internally ("under the hood")
It's like saying "copy" instead of "print" because printing is really just copying characters to the output buffer.

I don't care what Linus thinks. There's nothing wrong with git's interface.

>using SVN
>ever

Only people who are familiar with SVN should use it in this day and age. Others should just learn git or git-svn if the usage of SVN is mandated by some retard rule. You can't even merge easily with that shit.

Gee that's nice

are you brain dead?