So is wire the best thing to suggest for trasitioning from Messenger/Whatsapp for normies?

So is wire the best thing to suggest for trasitioning from Messenger/Whatsapp for normies?
>Strict Swiss privacy laws
>default e2e encryption
>support for all major platforms (android, ios, linux, windows, webapp)
>video chating, location sharing and all modern features people are used to
>completely open source and actively developed
It's was relatively easy to get my sister, girlfriend and a couple of best friends to talk to me on wire, maybe it's cause they respect my views on freedom and privacy, but I feel like now is the perfect time to push it to the mainstream.
Wire doesn't have obvious flaws like it's competition
>Signal
Suspectable to US triple letter agency medling since it is based in USA
>Telegram
Founded by VK (russian facebook)
Closed source servers
'Homebrew' encryption

The only competition for Wire I could think off is Riot.im, but I feel like it is ahead of its time with the technology used, and your facebook scared normalfag friends would have a harder time accepting it

Please share thoughts, just try not to promote proprietary botnets i.e. viber line etc. No one cares about those when we want freedom.

Attached: wirelogo.png (300x300, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

securemessagingapps.com/
github.com/wireapp/wire-server
brew.sh/
github.com/wireapp/coax
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is Tox ever going to get off the ground? I really want to support our guys.

I consider anyone open source our guys

Our guys are matrix.org

sms

Attached: 4650552975_014d750515_b.jpg (1024x768, 378K)

I mean our guys because they literally came from Jow Forums.

See securemessagingapps.com/

That's nice, but it just proves my point doesn't it?

>implying anything Jow Forums ever made works

You serious with this shit?

Attached: Screenshot_20180411_064727.png (1920x1080, 147K)

Tox works, it's just not popular.

>completely open source
Not server side.

otherwise there's xmpp+otr or gnu ring, I've never tried ring though
also who gives a fuck about location sharing

good fucking luck getting it running though

I really, really dislike Wire client UI and the fact that it's heavy as fuck. On the other hand, the few normies I managed to convince to install it seem to genuinely love it, so I guess they got that part right after all.

That's for corporate collaboration, and I'm OK with that because they have to make money somehow. If you're not a company, just download the client, create an account with a throw-away email and that's that.

>I really, really dislike Wire client UI
you talking about the Electron one or the native one? obviously the fact a distinction needs to be made, is a part of the problem.

> just try not to promote proprietary botnets

Attached: 2018-04-11_04-24-18.png (781x421, 26K)

>automatically connect to giphy

Botnet

Get telegram. Literally uses the WhatsApp API. Plus it has cute stickers.

>Telegram
Founded by VK (russian facebook)
Closed source servers
'Homebrew' encryption

botnet

Fuck off Ivan, I litterally said why people should not use Botnetgram in the op

>using a swiss botnet

The only good messengers are xmpp based ones. It's federated, encrypted with the double ratchet scheme used by signal, and completely free. Thanks to the standardised extensions it can adapt to future changes in messaging fairly easy. People that still promote corporate botnets are shills or braindead corporate cucks

Attached: serveimage(2).png (1200x1234, 86K)

Fuck off shill. No one is interested in your botnet

So what's wrong with this Tox thing?

Attached: Screenshot_20180411_081251.png (1920x1080, 159K)

Nobody uses it. Plus all the clients are complete trash.

Botnet

How is XMPP a botnet? Explain.

Yea, use Wire. But don't expect that you'll easily be able to run a server any time soon; they published that but it's complex spaghetti.

> ahead of its time with the technology used
As far as I'm concerned, Riot isn't the right client for EITHER advanced users or normies,

But unlike you, I think it's almost entirely a GUI application design issue. Most want people-centric messaging with some integrated photo / video features. Group/chat room - centric, even if that also should be possible.

>Jow Forums created Messenger is botnet

Telegram is about to be blocked in Russia for not handing private keys over to FSB.

>xmpp
>botnet
Yeah right

Attached: 0e8.jpg (680x395, 37K)

>Jow Forums warns against the botnet
>Jow Forums creates software to escape the botnet
>Jow Forums then accuses its own software of being a botnet
Crabs in a bucket mentality, I think. There's enough brainpower here to get some good stuff going but the lack of spirit and desire for collective success leaves us all in the mud.

so what's the xmpp client to get all the normies off discord?

as said, it's almost entirely an issue with clients

Matrix doesn't even e2e encrypt by default. Can't recommend that to normies.
toktok toxcore is progressing, even if slowly. qtox tracks it reasonably well.
I use tox very successfully. Most people are unfortunately way too cucked into central servers to understand the beauty of full p2p, dht-based with e2e encryption.

>so what's the xmpp client to get all the normies off discord?
None really. XMPP actually has trouble with the features normies want, such as embedding images or videos or emotes or whatever in a standard way. Or initiating video chats.

The problem on XMPP's end is that everything is an add-on "standard" whose implementation annoyed like 2/3rds of the client and/or server developers. [The XMPP standards process is utter garbage; reminds me of Java at the time where everything stalled and accepted proposals never got implemented and the most desired features never got meetings despite there being many meetings; and so on and so forth.]
You constantly get "feature not supported by client/server" if you try to use anything more than the text messages, and that's that.

The dev behind Antidote for Tox needs to speed his shit up. He's got a decent app but without message queuing and integration with toxme.io, fucking no one is going to use it.

>toxme.io
That shit is deprecated. Use public keys. It's the only safe way. Don't compromise the distributed tox with centralized garbage for identities.

>So is wire the best thing to suggest for trasitioning from Messenger/Whatsapp for normies?
No. Signal is the privacy-concered app normies would migrate to. Also you're misinformed, Wire was proven to collect a decent amount of data from its users

Citation needed

Signal is shit privacy-wise, see the post of this guy

What does Jow Forums think of Ricochet?

We can't even share public keys with each other here if we wanted to.

Attached: spam-filter.png (701x560, 108K)

Can always post the QR image.
That is legit tox standard stuff.

Yeah I mean that's great for when you've met someone face to face but what if I want to chat with some thot I found on Instagram? That 76 character string is gonna make her think I'm trying to hack her.

Sure. It's also more convenient to fall back to a pleb IM system. All the riffraff is doing it.

Yeah but I want to convince said riffraff to use this better solution because I’m not comfortable with my dick picks sitting on some server forever.

You send dick pics around?
Secure or not, I just do not recommend it.

It's part of the game when it comes to hooking up with sluts.

What game is there to hook up with sluts?
If you can't hook up with a slut, maybe buy some rope and make a noose.

You understand that even sluts won't hop on your dick until you talk to them, right? And in the process of messaging, nudies get exchanged, that's how you know you're good to go.

Does anyone know how the fuck you install this on MacOS without having to use the App Store??
I have no idea what an apple ID is and I don't want to give them my email.

I also convinced a few normies a while ago to install it. But we were all running into notification issues where sometimes a message was simply not delivered unless you opened the app. Kind of dumb to be honest.

I also dislike the UI, although it's modern and isn't ugly it's not really optimal, a lot of screen realestate was left unused which feels like a waste, there is no reason for a "ok" to take up 30% of the screen. They should try to implement a theming engine or something like that so people can get a more generic looking UI.

Besides these things the app was really good, too bad nobody uses it and it's a pain in the ass to get normies to switch from anything they already use.

Use Homebrew cask or download it from their website.

Lmao. I hope this bait. But I've never heard of one example where a dick pic landed a guy a hookup unless you are picking up fags and traps. Maybe modern women have devolved even further into degeneracy in currentYear but I think pics of 6 pack abs would be way more effective than a dick pic.

>not peer to peer
>centralized
>shitty electron based desktop client with zero customization
>no alternative clients

the download link on their website just takes me to the App Store.
What's homebrew cask? Pardon my ignorance.

oh, I fgured it. Thanks. This looks like it will be useful. I always forget to do things in terminal when I'm on my MacOS partition...

Homebrew is a package manager like apt-get or dnf or pacman but for MacOS.
See: brew.sh/

Hoembrew cask allows you to install GUI applications and 3 party applications.

thanks, this looks like it will be useful

Me and my girl like to use Wire to exchange nude pics with other people/couples, because we didn't need to use a phone to create the account and because any retard can talk to us via browser, plus all the crypto thing.

This makes Threema look pretty good, has anyone here used it?

Not open source. Enjoy your botnet.

>But I've never heard of one example where a dick pic landed a guy a hookup
Says more about you and the people you know than you think.

tfw coax is no longer being developed
github.com/wireapp/coax

who cares when you can't even run a server

why not? the server was recently released

you'll never manage to convince normies to move out of whatsapp, and the rest of us can't drop whatsapp because of that

literally forced into the botnet by social pressure

> implying anyone in russia can say no to the FSB

public show to lure brainlets into the botnet

>>Telegram
>Founded by VK (russian facebook)
>Closed source servers
>'Homebrew' encryption
Are you a retard? Pavel Durov quit VK because of government and corporate pressure after his social network was effectively hijacked by both. It's just works, and it's never been proven ineffective in securing user's data.

Telegram doesn't operate FROM Russia, and it literally doesn't give a fuck of the govt will try to shut it down, no compromises.

THE SHADOW PROFILES

it fucking sucks
still no offline messages, making it useless

I had weird issues with Signal and it was too much like regular SMS to be feature competitive with messenger/whatever
Never tried telegram
Started getting people onto Wire by saying "Its basically Discord without the botnet"

Their desktop app is hot garbage though

This. If they don't change the UI no one will use it except retards

Youre retarded if you think its actually that much worse than anything else 98% of people use.

Stop using the botnet

OK, so I put wire on ubuntu/windows/mac/android, and the messenger is great, but I tried video chat and the quality is glitchy as fuck, compared to skype on the same connection/platform. Looks like it's back to Skype for me :- ((((

Why the fuck does it suddenly ask for email and password??

Don't fall for the schweizermeme you doofus. Signal is just fine for normies.

Does wire or signal require a phone number?

I'm trying to go 100% wireless Voip since work/home and commute has wifi APs

I don't even have a sim anymore but I've been using telegram like a brainwashed normie till I can compare what platform I'll settle to.

Kek botnet

Signal afaik yes
Wire is optional

This Jow Forumsent is going places.

Thanks man.

Yeah, I try to get as many people on wire as I can to replace fb messenger. Apple sheep wont want to use signal because it works as an SMS replacement and they like imessage. Android people dont have a centralized SMS replacement so signal makes sense for them

Basically I have my mom on signal and my gf on wire

Kontalk thoughts?

Telegram is on F-Droid.
Signal and Wire are not.

Telegram has Lain Iwakura stickers.
Signal and Wire do not.

Attached: mpv-shot0001.png (1520x1080, 1.18M)

I just want smooth, non-laggy video chat that works on all my operating systems. Is that really so much to ask??

t. furry

Wouldn’t your messages have to be stored on a server for that feature?

Thanks

Wouldn’t your messages have to be stored on a server for that feature?

I have dozens of friends on it. family. and even my grandma uses it. for over 2 years now. it just werks.

jesus that website is fucking slow and bloated.

>company version

use the free, personal one. idiot

wire and threema best ones on the list