Jow Forums, what's your opinion on Void Linux?

Jow Forums, what's your opinion on Void Linux?

Attached: void_fg.png (177x29, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/dmokc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I used it on my T430 and now I use it on X230. Suspend/sleep/lid all worked out of the box. Runit is fantastic and boots in under 10s. The package manager is decent, does what it needs to do. Some hardware buttons weren't configured, but that was easily done in handler.sh.

I like it a lot and I haven't had problems with it yet.

>boots under 10s
my setup boots under 5 seconds, and it uses systemd.

Record video, faggot.

Attached: 1519496515112s.jpg (124x114, 3K)

streamable.com/dmokc

Removed the bios part away obviously as the bios is pretty slow, nothing I can do about it.

>boots under 5s
>video is 6s
But yeah, faster than mine. I've had trouble with systemd, it would hang on some things, wait for others, pulseaudio permissions get fucked on update, etc. Also, runit is very intuitive to use and write scripts for. Systemd has become so convoluted, systemctl, service, journalctl... You need a manual to be able to administer a systemd OS.

I got void on an X230 too.
Boots in less than 3 seconds.
Are you not using an SSD?

the video includes a bit of the bios part and hangs a little on the login screen at the end. If you start counting when grub starts and stop when you arrive on the login page, it should be more or less 4 seconds and a half.

I always found systemd to be very intuitive, and I barely had to set up anything to make it work properly and efficiently. I don't see why you would need a manual.

I am. Maybe we are measuring it differently. I count it from the grub boot screen.

OK, without looking it up tell me how do you: 1 see running services, 2 see status of a single service, 3 enable a new service, 4 disable a service, 5 start/stop/restart a service.

In runit
1 sv status /var/service/*
2 sv status name
3 ln -s /etc/sv/name /var/service/
4 rm /var/service/name
5 sv {start|stop|restart} name

Botnet

How is it botnet?

1. systemctl | grep running is probably the easiest way
2. systemctl status name
3. systemctl enable name
4. systemctl disable name
5. systemctl start/stop/restart service

I honestly don't see what's hard here.

>I count it from the grub boot screen.
As do I.
Don't tell me you have Grub set to wait a few seconds before booting void.

I'm also using the musl version, although I don't believe that makes any dramatic difference in boot times.

I dunno man. I guess after the switch from sysVinit to systemd I didn't bother to learn a new thing. Runit was just intuitive for me cause I can just symbolically link services to enable them and remove the link to disable. I also don't know how to check logs on systemd, as that would require learning how to use journald instead of just more-ing things from /var/log.

Maybe I am wrong, I've never actually timed it. Sadly can't do it right now as I am on an 8hr bus ride...

Slackware's init scripts are the most intuitive.

That's all you have to do to enable/disable a service:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/service
chmod -x /etc/rc.d/service

Slackware still uses sysV init, right?

Slackware uses BSD style init scripts.

It does use the classic SysV compatible init binary,
but without the horrible symlink mess you can't really call it SysV.

I am using it.
It's pretty great.

Cool. Slackware 10 was my first distro. Glad to see it's still being used. It's stable nature makes it great for servers.

I use it, but can't install Rcommander on it because >muh only pull required packages and because I'm a brainlet. If anyone helps I'll shill whatever you want on Jow Forums

Open an issue. Someone might add it.

Good idea. Hopefully it'll help someone. If I find a fix I might try to add it to the wiki

musl or glibc?

It is bad. They don't even compile firefox binary with alsa support. They're maintainter is swj

> They’re

Fake.

1. systemctl --state=running
You can actually have a comma separated list in state. For example you can do
systemctl --state=exited,running

The idea is that runit is more Unix-like whereas systemd presents a more integrated approach where all are controlled from the same command.

>They're maintainter is swj
>They're
>maintainter
Reminder that even if this is bait it's still representative of the intelligence of a typical Jow Forums user.

Attached: 1517700396854.png (1440x1938, 433K)

needs Poettering cumming all over his face.

muh systemd botnet meme
fuck off

>Debian cuck has to defend systemd now because he's forced to use it

That's why no one takes you seriously any more.

It's ok, but some packages I use are missing, some others are compiled with weird flags, and I'm not going to maintain a bunch of packages on my own.

I don't even use Debian. Nice try faggot.

Another cuck distro like Arch then.
Like it makes a difference.

Devuan tho

prove it faggot

It's a six second video...

devuan is comfy af

see

systemd is meant to be faster, you fool
posers

THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT IS TO MOVE AWAY FROM SYSTEM FUCKING D YOU FUCKING RETARD IT IS A CANCEROUS AND WIDE ATTACK VECTOR IF YOU THINK YOU'RE A SAFE NIX BRAH WHILE USING SYSTEMD POST YOUR FUCKING IP ADDRESS AND SOMEONE WILL WRECK YOU. PEOPLE COME TO LINUX FOR PRIVACY AND MALLEABILITY SYSTEMD SO DONT RECOMMEND OR ACCEPT IT, IT NEEDS TO DIE.

systemd user here, basic no-ricing done Arch install boot took under 4 seconds

Attached: 2018-04-11-194326_1720x1718_scrot.png (1720x1718, 827K)