/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: ThinkCat26.png (591x438, 403K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1st for E series are fine

Will modern thinkpads ever return to the old practical designs?

Of course not. I say we do a poll and crowdfund some korean dude to design and manufacture it.

lolno

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-25-retro-hero.png (725x515, 170K)

According to Intel's microcode updates guidance document they won't be patching older CPU's. Most if not all of the libreboot-compatible models will be susceptible to Spectre attacks.

Time to move on to modern models? On one hand In a bit uncomfortable leaving the exploit unaddressed, on the other I haven't seen any large scale attacks done using it. Feeling really reluctant about replacing my maxed out X200.

Surely there has to be some chinese knockoff, if not there should be

No best you can hope is that the chinks make more mobos

I heard that lenovo is trying to source 3:2 panels for future thinkpads, so possibly

alright so I've been going at this for the past 6 hours and wanted to share so it hopefully gets archived for posterity.

if you have a 3rd world country wifi card on your T440p (namely the 04W3798, or rather, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235), you should know that Lenovo doesn't host the proper Win7 drivers on their website.

what's worse is that this piece of shit hasn't been supported for a while and the latest drivers are finicky as fuck.
-if you install the wlan drivers provided by Lenovo first it won't work, uninstall them and hope it works
-you need the KB2685811 update or else it crashes
-you may need more stuff, I dunno, I installed /all/ VB redists, net framework, SP1 and pretty much every other driver

Lads, I tried cleaning and repasting my T420.
I disassembled, cleaned, repasted and put it back together.
It doesn't boot anymore, the power led around the power button is flashing, so does the wifi led.
The fan doesnt spin up apparently, the hdd is working, nothing on the screen.
I took it apart again, everything seems to be connected properly.
Help.

Attached: 1516711807127.jpg (241x209, 10K)

>look on ebay for a replacement 6 cell for x230
>well over $100

what the hell, I don't want to pay more than what I paid for my laptop for a new battery. are chink ones good? did they manage to bypass lenovo's DRM yet?

U can get 9 cell's for 50 bucks on ebay, 100digi for instance sells em

This general is fucking gay. A bunch of smelly autists circle jerking about 10 year old laptops. Brand loyalty at its worst.

Attached: 1520753823559.png (1280x878, 72K)

speaking of drivers, should you install the latest ME firmware?
didn't it tank performance? can you uninstall it afterwards?

>uncle dave
wait are you the guy who makes emac tutorials on youtube?

Yeah, and I can't make more without a functioning machine.

Short followup: The battery led is not blinking anymore, after I pulled the CMOS and held the power button for a while. It's on constantly
The WiFi led is still blinking, the fan doesn't spin up.

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Do you guys use the tpb (Thinkpad buttons) package? Or manual bonds through xmodkeys if you're not using a DE? It's only sorta working for me

worst case, its cheap to replace

Wait, isn't the BIOS update what impacts performance?
Or is it the ME firmware update?

What is the modern ibm thinkpad equivalent?

A Lenovo ThinkPad

Attached: 5677564567.jpg (524x586, 62K)

Sorry man. Modularity is dead. Truly the worst timeline

depend the model, as far as i remember, only notebook tier thinkpads like the X1 have shit like the soldered ram

A T480 or T470 isn't much better
Or even a P71

postan my elitebook story again since I took too long typing it out last thread.
DO NOT buy from "microsoft authorized refurb outlets"
>want to try an elitebook
>see one of the very few listings with a 1600x900 display
>$150
>seller assures it's in excellent condition
>order it
>get message from seller saying that I'll get the laptop and battery separately because he ordered a new battery
>ok...
>laptop comes in
>other than a few scuffs on the edges it's in pretty damn good shape
>keyboard and trackpad are basically mint, not a single shiny spot.
>boot the thing up
>go into bios
>there's a fucking BIOS password
>FUCK.tar
>boot up into the shitty copy of windows 10 he shat on the hdd
>the screen is fucking 1366x768
>I'm fuming at this point
>message him, the faggot wants me to pay $20 for return shipping if I want a refund
>lightbulb.jpg
>"maybe I can unlock the BIOS myself and get a super cheap laptop out of it"
>do some googling
>can't reset the bios physically because the passwords are stored on a separate flash module
>see forum posts of people getting the passwords reset from HP directly
>call up HP
>explain situation to the pajeet
>they take my email the machines UUID, didn't even ask for proof of purchase
>they email me a .bin file to put on a bootable disk
>instructions are basically in fucking indian
>could not for the life of me get it to work off a flash drive, eventually figure that usb booting is disabled in bios
>annoda lightbulb.jpg
>resize the hdd, make a 2G partition, format it in fat32 and put the .bin file on it
>it actually fucking works
>clear the password
>message seller that I can't ship it back because I need a laptop asap for school
>ask for a partial refund of $90 so I can "get my schools IT to fix it)
>the faggot dances around the problem, eventually flat out denies that they should pay anything
>time for annodda shoah
>flat out fucking call ebay
>explain the situation to cute little chink girl that probably lives in SF

Attached: 1520301683108.jpg (1280x720, 103K)

>20 minutes later I get a message from him saying that he has to "ask his boss" because now the laptop will be a loss for them
>remind him that all this is because of their incompetence
>after like a day he messages me back telling me that $65 is "the most he can do"
>agree, he paypals the money over but not through a proper ebay refund thing so I had to pay 2 fucking bucks to get it over to my bank account
>still haven't gotten the battery and it's been 2 weeks
>got a message this morning saying he's going to ship out the battery and he'll send me a tracking number

Attached: 1520303048140.jpg (520x539, 72K)

I accidentally installed the ME firmware update.

I'm fucking livid right now, I fucked up didn't I?

Might as well downgrade to a fucking C2D
Goddamn it

You think the libreboot website or the site that they sell the shitty, cum encrusted x200s for $500 will mention this? Of course not, because trannyboot is a placebo at best.

i'll admit that it's more compact and more difficult to disassemble now, as long it isn't an X series
i did it for a T570 for a friend like a month ago, and fully upgraded a P51 for work

>he fell for the "replace the thermal paste" meme

not him, but i'm curious, changed the termal paste on numerous computer now, but never on my thinkpad
is there a trick or did this guy just fucked up like an idiot?

It's a 2012 machine, wanted to clean the fan up properly anyway.

I must've fucked up pretty bad desu, the manual doesn't say a thing about that "error".

Another different guy here. I literally just replaced the thermal paste on my T420 and it's now sitting at 42C idle. Dunno if good or nah.

Dont you have a before comparison?

Ok faggot

Oh look, it's that triggered Macbook guy again. How much can one be obsessed about someone else's obscure tech interest? It must be hard to live like that.

.I thought those only worked on x220s because of the validation chip, though. I've been looking around and haven't found any actual testimonials from people with 230s/430s using them and they working

>100digi
doesn't ship to me, sadly

No. I was putting in new ram and thought might as well replace the grease. But it wasn't running hot anyway plus the grease was still kinda wet too. Maybe the previous owner already replaced it but whatever.

Take a look at how Spectre attacks actually work. Then decide whether you're more comfortable with that or with IME backdoor on board.

How do you use your thinkpad in a comfy position?
Specifically talking about T420, it's not big enough to be watched while reclining in chair and not small enough to be light to hold on chest.

Attached: railgun-season-1-part-1-review-6.png (600x337, 77K)

I want my memepads to last forever how do I acheive this?
I'm about to start hoarding motherboards and shit. Help

what model is that

>Made the mistake of buying an HP Spectre X360
>Thought so hard about buying either the HP Spectre X360 or Dell XPS 13, went with the former because it's cheaper
>Got almost $500 off retail price
>Realize trackpad is shitty as fuck, coming from an Asus Zenbook. Took like a week to get used to it, and sped up scrolling to the fastest speed
>Webcam is shit quality despite being FHD, worse than HD webcams
>Heats up a lot
>Fan runs a lot
>Dim screen
>Coil whine while in sleep and charging
Now finally the Dell XPS 13 9370 was on sale so I decided to upgrade to the i7 from i5 on the HP Spectre X360.

Problem is, I can't seem to sell the HP Spectre X360. I posted it on sale used and I only got 2 replies in a week. One of the buyers insisted I sell my 8th gen newest edition at prices that are for several year old models. I might have to try eBay.

If you're thinking about getting a consumer premium laptop, do not buy a HP Spectre. Get a Dell XPS. Asus, Acer, and Lenovo chinkshit is out of the question already.

I think you got a dud, because I've used a couple of spectres and if they weren't so expensive I'd totally replace my t420 with one. the LG gram is really fucking nice too
I wonder if they run linux well

Looks like a T61 to me.

>I thought those only worked on x220s because of the validation chip

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

Im mainly doing a keyboard switch to to get the x220, as i noticed it could also disable the battery validation, i thought id give it a try with a 9 cell

Regarding that buyer, have low expectations since its Chinese, but we'll see

My main issue is with the synaptics trackpad being so shit.

I heard you can install precision drivers from lenovo to make it better but I'm not sure.

It really does run hot while plugged in for some reason.

I thought it used precision drivers?

and it ran cool as fuck when I used it

No, it uses Synaptic drivers. Like I said, it took a week to get used to even though I wasn't even coming from a precision touchpad. asus has their own drivers. the cursor and scrolling is just so fucking slow oh my god.

it runs cool when on battery, but plugged in I think it easily goes above 40C levels even when not doing much. Fan is only around 35dB though, I measured with my phone

wifi problem thinkpad
archived ;)

What tablet is the best? X200,220,230?

35-45 is perfectly fine to me, mac pros tend to run at a steady 50c even with just web browsing so it's no big deal really

I guess I'm making a big deal out of nothing. My main issue is with the trackpad being shit, which can apparently be corrected with Lenovo's synaptics precision drivers. I'm also worried about the resale value being worse than a Dell XPS would. I'm planning to use this for 2~3 years but it might die before that.

hey /tpg/,

Potentially got a good deal on a t61p. Only problem with it is that the screen is a "little dim". Looks like it's capping out at ~75% brightness. Is the panel on the way out, or is it just some dumb shit like a loose connector?

How exactly do I go about replacing the HDD in my t420s? Do I need a caddy, or is it as simple as unscrewing it, and placing it inside the back?

All I want is a T520,
My current R61i is good and all, but I really want a better cpu/gpu.
Love the keyboard, that's why I want the T520

I can't find anything locally, ( the 2 models I found both had german keyboard layouts, which is garbage for me)

Should I order from ebay? I've never purchased anything over 50euros from ebay. I want to avoid this kind of shit

Attached: 1514206862309.png (397x484, 283K)

is the x201 enough for, let's say, firefox running 480p youtube, and watching webms here on Jow Forums?

I've never replaced the thermal paste on mine, and it idles a little higher than that, so maybe it helped.

Attached: 2018-04-11--1523470068_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 222K)

Of course it is, you'd be fine doing that on an X60

Is this a nitrocaster x220 fhd mod?

The screen works in the bios, but I can't get it to work in GNU/linux. I applied the patch, messed with xrandr, and kms.

The internal lcd only turns on when a external vga monitor is added?

Attached: c908d272-231a-4896-bc9c-54117099e748.jpg (600x800, 83K)

Indian style, with the battery resting against my ankle, and the thermal ports unobstructed.

>The internal lcd only turns on when a external vga monitor is added?
lmao, what happened to that poor machine?
My T420 is small enough for me to use on my chest when leaning back, and I'm a twig.

I got it in a trade for a t60 plus parts and a x60 from someone who bought it on eBay, but couldn't get it working with lunix.

I just want to know what kit that board is from,so I can check it is installed correctly.

the A485 is launching in april r-right?

will it have two disks, one M.2, one 2'5
if yes then i'll probably consider getting one

AFAIK it's just a E480 with a Raven Ridge SoC

so yes

so it will also have a dedicated GPU, sound nice

nope, integrated

although vega kind of wrecks intel graphics right now

hopefully it's not ruined by shitty thermals like the ideapad 720s

What are the pros/cons of the X220t vs X220 (tablet vs. nontablet)? Is the stylus input actually useful? I'm considering the tablet version but not sure if it's worth the extra ~$100 on ebay...

Attached: x220t.png (381x508, 351K)

Anyone here know what you should remove if you want to debloat a T450s

well fuck, integrated graphics still kinda suck ball, intel or not (especialy intel tho)
i've just read right now that they will do a A285/485 AND a E485/585
i wonder if there will be real differences between the A and E series

the A series is not E series based, the A series literally are T series with AMD cpus

Is anyone using a 'privacy foil' on their thinkpad and can recommend me a brand / type I should look out for?

Just started a new job and been given a new Thinkpad 13.

When I was picking it up from the service desk there were piles of X220's and X230's, some battered some looked in mint condition. Asked one of the tech guys and he said there were being decommissioned as part of the Windows 10 rollout.

send me one

Il take one of each senpai

Did you nab one?

But really, why not just upgrade the OS? Unless you need more modern I/O?

Guize I need help
Can I can any region T520, (AZERTY, or UK) and replace the keyboard with another US keyboard?
>like pic related
Will it work? The connections should be the same, right? Or will it need a new bios or whatever?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 181K)

I've sent an email asking what is going to happen to them if staff will get the chance to buy one or get one free before they were sent to an asset disposal company.

Although I'm not in the division that supports infrastructure, hardware etc. I sit with a couple of guys that do and they said the rational was that can standardise the laptops across the company as at the moment people have a mixture of Dells, MacBooks, old and new Thinkpads.

i just noticed my refurb t430 had peelable over the whole hand rest and even the mousepad. The mouse pad looked worn out but when i peeled the pad over it now looks brand new. I noticed that top of the laptop pic related) has the same cover/sticker. I want to peel it, has anyone ever done this?

Attached: laptop-lenovo-thinkpad-t430s-como-nueva-en-excelente-estado-D_NQ_NP_844199-MPE26715422850_012018-F.j (640x356, 22K)

take them all user
and send me one pls

they have their drawbacks and their benefits

if you don't use your laptop for gaming at all they are just better IMO

I stand corrected

Yes, it's just like changing a keyboard on your desktop, just make sure you set it to the right layout and you can use whichever keyboard you want

oh, that's nice.
I was afraid that the region would be encoded to the bios or something.
thanks!

I'm the user with the crashing t61, I bought an expresscard usb 3. 0 adapter and took it out today to test if that was the problem, and it's been running for a few hours and hasn't crashed yet. Has anyone else had this problem?

on oldermeme pads they freeze when you take out those expresscard usb things, your connector is either loose or you're not pushing it in deep enough

DE/WM?

Yeah my refurb t420 has the same shit. I lust peeled it off and luckily there was no cosmetic damage to the actual lid.

What do you think would be the components/specs of an AMD based P series

how reliable are workstations with integrated graphics?
I hear they're prone to an early death due to heat.

I wanted to get a W510 and make it my main machine but stability is a big deal for me.

Openbox, the comfiest WM. (higher resolution because I'm at home and docked now)

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 2.12M)

godamn, that's a comfy setup

grant...

What's the cheapest laptop I can get with a 4 core cpu?

jeez man, how hard did you tighten that cpu?

Attached: thinkpad-x41.jpg (1200x795, 75K)