>2018
>still can't decide what distro to use

Attached: b70.png (1920x1080, 1.9M)

Nigger

Attached: Ospicker.png (1559x1107, 220K)

Debian

>leads me to ubuntu, mint, opensuse
>don't like any of them

Attached: 1465512658573.png (508x514, 195K)

What don't you like about those?

Windows

This is flawed.

It's made by retarded tripfags, what did you hope for?
Tech illiteracy at its finest.

Arch or Gentoo. Others distros are for retards.

I don't like apt and how you have to rape the repo list to get a lot of software or themes, same applies to mint
opensuse just breaks for me everytime I tried it
I can't into lunix

Attached: 1448259211693.jpg (423x364, 32K)

install gentoo senpai

I would but I wouldn't know how to use it
portage scares me

Pick one and stick with it. Distro hopping is for niggers.

Try solaris.

the oracle unix or did you mean solus?

Attached: 1448298040089.jpg (273x270, 21K)

Manjaro

Debian, one OS for all your needs
>stable for server/older machine that you don't want to maintain
>testing for your laptop that you need to be reliable, but still want newer software
>sid for desktop

>distro hopping
why? just pick something that works for you and stick with it. If anything, see what filesystem works best for you

>tfw too dumb for gentoo

Attached: 1496946970902.jpg (512x600, 57K)

Opensuse installer sometimes puts the kernel on the installation media and it breaks when is removed, try doing a net install of tumbleweed.

seconding debian

Attached: Screenshot_20180409_234920.png (1366x768, 657K)

how do I reliably update to sid? Do I install minimal, go to testing then to sid or can I install with my DE straight out then testing -> sid?

personally I do a stable netinstall, change the sources to testing or sid then do a update and dist-upgrade.
I like to do it right after installation, before I install any packages or even Xorg. makes it faster and smoother.
You can grab a weekly testing image but sometimes the installer is understandably broken on those.
You can jump straight to sid from stable too.

Don't worry user you will learn as you use it and learn about how linux works when installing it. so I recommend going for it! I believe in you user

Try to guess

fuck off kevin

>biolinux

Is this actually good

He's the thing. 4 out of the 5 you're debating between won't even install on your computer. It took me 4 tries until I found xubuntu 16 which finally did something that wasn't gay.

Debian stable isn't that stable either, don't fall for it.
t. stretch user

Attached: 1511201896881.png (1001x524, 682K)

install arch

I always jump straight from stable to sid. I know some people say to go to testing in-between but I always have problems if I try that.

this but unironically
I had a lot of issues with every distro I used (like having to go thriugh hoops to install some software or manually looking for a package) and when I installed arch, all that went away. It's pretty good and the >le arch broke meme doesnt represent my experience with it

It runs Ubuntu 14.04

Good if you're too stupid to install software on Linux. Otherwise just add their repository on the distro of your choice and install all the software or what you need

It's not hard, especially if you mainly use the stable versions of packages
Stop with this meme, gentoo automates lots of shit just like every other distro

Just get Arch, it's the most fitting distribution for nearly everyone on Jow Forums.

where is the start

try fedora or arch you fucking weeb faggot

i would use ubuntu but im concerned about the 18.04 default software and settings, so im sitting on debian stable. Stable + snaps is ok, but i miss having a ppa with new nvidia drivers (altough i learned how to properly install them from nvidia's site without relying on debians repo)

Name one (1) GOOD reason to not run Ubuntu, the most mature and widely supported Linux based OS.

The big ass red bit.

I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:
Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.
Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.
So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.
Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.
What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.
If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!

Attached: butt coming out of a laptop screen (DESKTOP-F1V55AT's conflicted copy 2015-07-08).jpg (500x658, 124K)

Buggy short-term releases and 50/50 fucked up repos on point releases. Some people may need to configure specific packages based on their documentation, and preconfigured packages may make that job harder. Other than that its a solid distro, especially for desktop, but usually after the second point release of LTS, so when it's starting to get old or there is a newer debian stable release.

Quite insulting Tbh

not that i want to shill for ubuntu but having to deal with fedora on desktop is just stupid. Its a good base system but there is too little officially supported packages for generic desktop use, thats why they call it a workstation distro.

>stale pasta from 2009 that was wrong then and even more wrong now
filtered
>Buggy short-term releases and 50/50 fucked up repos on point releases.
Not an Ubuntu specific issue, more of a GNU/Linux, non centralized dev team, specific issue.
>Some people may need to configure specific packages based on their documentation, and preconfigured packages may make that job harder.
Yes, it may be inconvenient if you want something non-standard. That's how reconfiguration works. It's convenient for most at the cost of inconveniencing a minority.
The other side of the coin is you have to configure everything from scratch. I'm okay with 1% being inconvenienced while 99% use it as intended.

This leads me to Fedora/Debian

Does fedora having a different package manager to Debian change anything?

>using testing on desktop
>using KDE
>this shitty theme
everything makes sense in this picture

>find a distro
>now can't decide on a DE
why does it have to be so hard

Attached: WEN7PWp.png (602x306, 195K)

>2018
>Two years on Void already.

OP is an unsatisfied faggot.

fedora has less "supported" packages, so you usually have to wait a few months to upgrade to a new release. On the other hand you could say that debian is the hoarder of abandonware in linux world, but they try to do security upgrades for their whole main repo (which is much much bigger than fedoras).
So if you dont need much outside the fedora main repo, i see no reasons to not recommend it, debian kind of forces you to use it the way devs intended and this may be a little annoying for new user, but it makes sense.

>Leads me to Debian/Fedora
Fucking Debian is outdated as fuck and Fedora is unstable as hell

Fuck this chart I'm sticking to Arch and Gentoo.

KDE is pretty good.

I understand your pain, because I used to be like you. I finally settled on Arch and KDE. I'm incredibly comfy.

Attached: snug.jpg (1275x715, 133K)

I posted this I see the irony in my statement and admit that I prefer using Arch's LTS kernel and my past experiences with Fedora have left me with broken, unbootable systems thanks to updates. Shockingly, I've never had this issue with Arch.

>debian is outdated
>fedora is unstable
>arch is somehow new and stable
You should read what this terms mean in software packaging before posting.

>used to use Gentoo unironically
>had Openbox because it was comfy and lightweight as tits
>used that for a couple years but then computer died
>recently got a new one, but don't really want to do Gentoo again
>looking at ArchLabs and love the idea, also love Arch for how similar it is to Gentoo
How do you guys feel about this?

I like debian best. Although it's a bit annoying that you have to go unstable just to get the latest version of Firefox.

You can use snap on stable/testing to install new firefox, but snaps behave differently from normal pacakges so there are some downsides.

twss also well what one do you like, what do you want out of a de

Yeah you can just download the firefox beta or whatever and make a desktop file to launch the executable, easy breezy

>I don't like apt and how you have to rape the repo list to get a lot of software or themes
Good thing openSUSE breaks for you (also refuses to work on my laptop), because its a goddamn repo orgy

Attached: 1505265120863.png (986x680, 413K)

KDE is great
A little buggy at times, but its really customizable and has a fuckton on features.

I've been using Linux for five years or so and I think Antergos is my favorite distro to recommend to newcomers, since you can easily switch to the best distro, Arch, once you've got the hang of things.

Make one

They're all equally good/shit. Just pick one and stick with it.

>I don't like apt and how you have to rape the repo list to get a lot of software or themes, same applies to mint
Fedora

Arch

>2018
>Still not using Void or Gentoo

>Over 20 lbs of pussy & ass!!

>t. someone who has never used arch

you mean arch is outdated? what
also, you can tell people who haven't tried arch out when they point out it's unstable

Don't listen to the other memeheads. There are no fucking good DEs, unless you're content settling for mediocrity or even outright garbage.

WM is the only way to go.

but what's a good WM

Attached: image_2018-04-11_14-41.jpg (1080x1680, 132K)

i3, on the basis of it being the most popular and having the most documentation/tutorials, configs, and plugins/supporting software out there.

openbox if you want a stacking WM. awesome if you want a dynamic WM. dwm for "muh minimalism".

I like Solus.

What meme, Gentoo is unironically good

It needs to be even bigger then.

>2018
>using loonix

xmonad

install elementary OS

retard

Just use i3 you cuck.

is bunsenlabs/crunchbang++ worth using? last time i used linux it was on crunchbang, and i found out it was gone. i installed linux mint last night on desktop because im a srcub.

where should i be looking to go to get that old feel back? just plain debian?