How fast do you run your fans?

How fast do you run your fans?

I cant stand over 700rpm even though reviews and websites say 1000 is "Silent, i cant hear it at all"

Attached: 51ATwpzQMCL.jpg (427x500, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MePL4Bfqdis
xtremerigs.net/2015/02/20/pushpull-radiator-setups-learned-stop-worry-love-fans-less-noise/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have 4x 120mm 1600 rpm fans in an open case and I can’t hear them at all from a foot away from them. Fans age. Liquid bearings fail. Replace your fans.

I unironically run the three intake fans at the front of my pc at full speed.
The two exhaust fans on the cpu aio radiator (top of the case) are on a fan curve.
The rear exhaust is always at 50%

Pic related, new fans.
Been using noctuas for over 5 years now because 0rpm

all the rpms

600RPM on all my noctua fans, whisper quiet in my define r4

one of the fans on my friends video card has gone to noisy shit
how difficult is it to replace and if the card has multiple fans would it matter if you just ripped the fan off and said fuck it just use the ones left

I've had the same problem with reviewers for years. They always downplay noise because they're so used to having servers instead of speakers.
A good example of this would be the cooler that came with my 1700, while it did do a good job keeping temperatures down - I could hear it from across the room when it was under load. Absolutely unacceptable.

2x140 front intake @650
1x140 back exhaust @700
and
2x140 bottom intake
3x120 top exhaust
controlled by a fan controller in the cd drive bay - usually deactivated and the top covered by the Define R6's case. They're there just in case I want to play vidya and it gets hot.
All 7 of them Noctua Chromax.
Can't hear shit.

Attached: chormax fans box inside.jpg (640x307, 38K)

How are Corsair ML Fans

It’s getween those and Noctuas but Noctuas are even more expensive and I can’t stand the poo color scheme

1200/1300. Silent, i cant hear it at all.

i run all my fans at full speed including the CPU one, i have mild hearing loss so i can't hear shit but my brother says its not loud at all

Somewhere around 700-800 here as well, new noctuas.

But I'm not sure how much is the CPU fan and how much is the case fans, since they are on the the same PWM header.

I don't mind fan noise because I'm not autistic.

I feel the same. Even 700 RPM is a bit much for many fans I think, but I can live with that kind of noise. Closer to 1000 RPM, fans become very audible, and I wouldn't call them silent or even just quiet anymore.

My biggest issue with fans and coolers is that reviewers often don't print the RPM of the fans. decibels means nothing when the fans have a noise that don't blend in with the background noise. I rather see the RPM as I'm usually aware of what a fan sounds like at certain RPM ranges.

Unironically, my most silent computer has a fan that idles at 2000-3000 RPM. It's a Mac mini. Tiny little fan that doesn't move much air. Only gets audible or loud when I put some load on it. Due to this, I'm always skeptical of people claiming bigger and more fans means quieter computers. In my experience, airflow can be a source of noise.

My desktop computer currently has 3x 140mm fans at 600-700 RPM, and 2x 120mm fans for the CPU running at 900RPM. Been experimenting with fan curves and I've been too lazy to reboot so I can lower the minimum fan speed again.

Big fans simply have lower frequency noise, which isn't as annoying as high frequency noise.

I think there is more to it than that when a small fan at 3000 RPM is a lot more quiet than a 1000 RPM big fan. My biggest fans are usually the most audible ones, even at lower RPMs. Like the 180mm fan in one of my computers is very audible at 300 RPM.

My small fans might be just as loud when you measure the decibels, but the frequency might blend in better with the background noise where I live.

Anything from 6% to 100% PWM duty cycle, controlled by speedfan by temps/load.

At 6% fans barely move and can't hear a thing at idle.

I'm sad I can't go below 6% and make fans completely stop but below 6% pwm fans ramp up to 100%. Don't know if all fans are like that or only arctic cooling I'm using.

This.

>I think there is more to it than that when a small fan at 3000 RPM is a lot more quiet than a 1000 RPM big fan.
Yes. It's about the fan curves. Try setting your mac fan to the same RPM as a larger one. Peferably a good quality fan like noctua.

Macbooks usually refuse to spin up their fan even when hot, they would rather throttle than make a lot of noise. Im betting other macs are the same.

Oh, I missread. there's no way it IDLES at 2000RPM and is anywhere near silent.

CPU fans used to run at 1100~1200rpm, but occasionally rattled and whirred, hit optimize fans in Asus Bios, now the fans run at 1600rpm, but no rattles, or whirring since.

Still quieter than the shit GPU fans that produce turbulent air sounds.

Both are quieter than the 14" standing fan I use to cool myself off in these 30C days.

I got a couple of ML's and Noctua on my CPU cooler.
Noctua feels like it is better built, but that said, it's not like ML feel bad or anything, they still feel like a high quality product, just not as good.
As for noise, at about the same speed, I can notice slightly more noise from the ML. They also go to much higher speeds overall (2450, iirc), so I'm not too surprised they're a bit noisier. They're still really good fans though.
I'd say, if the difference is small (less than 5$), go for the Noctua. Anything higher, and the ML are a better purchase if you care about efficient money usage.

Never buy a asus motherboard, the fan control in bios doesn't work and their desktop software is AWFUL. Futhermore they often lack enough headers.

My thinking is, a lot of the noise you hear isn't from the motor or vibration, but the air moving. Bigger fans move more air at lower RPM.

Yeah I regret not going with Gigabyte's same tier board with 7 fan headers instead of Asus's 3

I got memed into the "Moar VRMs" meme and my Ryzen doesn't even overclock well.

My Asus X370 is missing basic functions such as fan and temperature alarms that my Gigabyte EP45-UD3L had.

Changed my shitty GPU fans for two Corsair fans strapped around the metal part of the cooler. Static RPMs at about 1200, so no significant noise. No matter what load the GPU is in, it's ALWAYS cooler than before with the shitty fans ramping up to 1600 RPMs and sounding like plane engines.
Best change I ever did to my GPU.

max, always
idc where or what it's in. always max

>bu-but muh noise!!!

listen to loud music, you fucking pussy.

Shitty low/mid end boards, maybe. The Pro and STRIX boards have fuckloads of headers, more than anyone will need.
Coming from a mid end Gigabyte model myself, I'm enjoying Asus a lot more. It just fucking works.

Not having enough headers isn't much of a problem I think. I group them and use one for the CPU, one for exhaust, and one for intake. Use splitters, and feed directly off the 12V line from the PSU if total amperage is a bit high, but usually you can run 2-3 fans from one header without any issues.

I hear the fans quite well, i use them to block out my tinnitus and other background noises such as other people

they run at whatever the computer tells them to run at because speedfan doesn't work with my shitty board.

Similar situation here. Only my shitty b350m-a only has 2 headers. I bought a PWM splitter with separate power, but now I'm running 1200rpm and 1600rpm fan on the same PWM signal, not sure if that can cause issues or more noise.

And i can't even buy another splitter because it was chink and there's a way too large fee on chink shit here now.

Have you checked that the BIOS fan control works correctly? You're still stuck with fan xXxPertxXx for in-os fan control.

I think the hum of fans is kind of comfy desu

I'm on the Asus X370 Pro it only has 3 fan headers and 2 water pump headers that you can't control. The CPU OPT header doesn't even sync to the main header even though I have the exact same fans I bought at the same time running off of them, there is almost a 200rpm spread across them even though they both ramp up to 19XX rpm under load.

My friend's Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 has more headers, more temp sensors, and each header can be tied to any of the temp sensors to have automatic ramping with temp and rpm alarms for any of the sensors or fans.

I'll probably have to get one of these some time.

Attached: hub.jpg (561x433, 35K)

6000-6500 rpm

Attached: golden orb.jpg (259x194, 10K)

It works decently fine. Setting it is a pain in the ass I'll admit, because it works off of percentages for some dumb reason, but it works just fine.

I came from a AB350 Gaming 3 to the same X370 Pro, and the Pro is just simply better. Plus, I have no idea where you're getting your fan header count from. The Gaming 3 has the usual 1 CPU fan header (and one more for a pump), 2 normal fan headers and 1 pump header. The X370 Pro has the exact same headers, plus an extra pump header that the AB350 doesn't.

Besides, it's not like you can't use pump headers for your normal fans, or if you really want PWM control, just use splitters for all your case fans. It's not hard.

If you really wanted to splurge money on fans, maybe you should've considered a higher end board right off the bat. Even the Prime Pro isn't considered high end, just barely medium/high.

Or just use arctic cooling fans which already have all the connectors needed for daisy chaining (and they're cheap too).

I'm currently running 6 fans from single header.

Attached: 18010341_02.jpg (600x303, 19K)

got 2 new 3000 RPM noctua 120mm industrial fans, can't hear em in my fractal R5 case even while they're at max speed. I sleep well with it on 24/7

whatever the max speed is? I like to know that my computer is running and that's the only way I can tell from a distance of hearing it

There's a status LED on the case

Gaming 3 has 5 headers all Hybrid, with 2 of them being 24W headers, they are all PWM controllable and can be tied to any sensor on the board. Which means the Gaming 3 has 5 user controllable fan headers.

Asus bios only lets you control CPU main, Fan1 and Fan2, you can't change the sensors that they are tied to, there are no temperature or rpm alarms and the 2 pump headers cannot be controlled at all, no fan curves or anything. I have the back case fan connected to the AIO header because I ran out of normal headers and the RPM is stuck at 10XX rpm and won't ramp up or down at all. Only 3 headers are user controllable.

Of course the x370 chipset should be better than the B350, but Asus really gives no fuck about fans.

I've also built on the TUF B350M-Plus Gaming and the Asus AI suite 3 that they force you to install to configure the stock Spire RGB fan fucking sucks, it kept crashing and when uninstalling it it wouldn't even uninstall cleanly and kept throwing service errors on boot. It also suffers from the 3 fan header problem and this time without any pump headers.

So far on the Ryzen side I've handled

Asus
Prime B350M-A
TUF B350M-Plus Gaming
X370 Pro

MSI
B350M Pro-VDH

Gigabyte
AB350M Gaming 3
AB350 Gaming 3

Besides the X370 Pro, all other boards were client specified boards.

>not setting up a custom curve for all of your fans using speedfan
>shiggydiggy
unless your memeOS has no alternative software, that is

I got all my fans hooked up to the bios on (auto)
They all react to the cpu temp and they can get noticeably loud during fallout 4 gaming.
I have an i5-4460 with stock cooler.
I should probably use nvidia software to check temps during gameplay and possibly add a closed water cooling loop to the cpu.
I'm thinking out loud again haha.

Attached: 15220192_1005404332898703_1987435196632954687_n.jpg (851x315, 61K)

lol absolute bullshit. My friend has those 3000 RPM Noctuas and at full speed they are like a blow drier in the same room.

On second thought, your post was just a shitpost

>closed water cooling loop
Stock heatsink is probably good enough if you don't mind the noise. Any somewhat decent 120mm cooler is good enough if you want a silent system. You can even get silence on some systems with coolers intended for 92mm fans.

Yeah but my current Enermax fans are pressure optimized, push more CFM at higher static pressures and are quieter than the Arctic F12 PWM COs while being cheaper because the Arctic fans need to be imported here. I live in the tropics so really high humidity, and 30C+ ambients for most of the year.

I also don't want to daisy chain too many fans to a fan header on the motherboard in case I burn them out.
Fan hubs are powered via Sata or Molex and only rely on the motherboard for PWM control.

Speedfan doesnt work with asus

Hey guys whats it called when you have two fans cojoined on the same power line? I have a case that needs two front fans but the bottom one broke and temps are spiking.

Attached: 1503393167750.jpg (698x960, 104K)

Yeah i'll look into a 120mm fan with a heatsink that stays flush to the motherboard.

Attached: Pepe_the_Frog_-_Plush_doll_1024x1024.jpg (1024x1024, 81K)

0rpm
Nofan CR95-C, ootb fanless gpu, fanless seasonic psu

Are you getting the Gigabyte X470? It comes with real heatsink.

No, unless AMD comes out with a 12~16 core consumer CPU that requires it. I don't care about minor feature updates at this point. I only got the X370 because of the PCIE lanes for concurrent 8 sata and NVME. The current VRM temps on my X370 Pro is fine.

I'm already feeling the limits on the 1700x, HW monitor showed that over the span of 1 week my CPU utilization topped out at 95% without throwing a synthetic load on it. I need more real cores, not minor clock speed bumps that is the 2700x

I mind fand noise because im acoustic

Slow as possible, i'd love to do fanless setups in the future

I've got my fans at 8%, never had any issues.

Depends on each hearing range. I run a set of Phanteks F140MP's at 700rpm and I already find them noticeable. On the same vein I have also been searching for the cause of a very specific rattle in my car that everyone else swears they can't hear. In the end it's really subjective, if you have better or worse hearing.

My non-meme fans (some Antec fans) are completely silent at 500rpm, so I keep them at 500rpm, no need to go higher anyways.

There are coolers that take 92mm fans that are fairly close to being like that.

of course it does, barring some some motherboard that has been released just now, and isn't supported yet, you just haven't bothered to set it up

2 on 2740 rpm if I want to quickly cool my GPU down

Got any source? doesnt work on mine (b350m-a)

so it's an amd chipset issue, not an asus issue, he'll add support for it eventualy, I honestly didn't know

Reminder that finally after 4 years of development, Noctua will release their new 120mm fans made out of Kevlar and ultra thin clearances in the beginning of May.

Demos from last year show that they have twice the cooling performance compared to the previous Noctua fans at the same noise level.

Attached: 30079436_496519980786600_4387590335912476672_n.jpg (1080x721, 71K)

They aim for a retail price of 30 Euro.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81LzAvNjgwNTgwL29yaWdpbmFsL25vY3R1YS1hLXNlcmllcy0xLmpwZw==.jpg (755x617, 75K)

in the winter = lowest setting

in the summer = highest setting

>Twice the performance
No they don't. Strapping 2 fans to a heatsink the way they did just blows way past diminishing returns.

Let me clarify: By twice the performance I was referring to, but unfortunately did not write in my original post, that a heatsink with one new Noctua fan achieves about the same cooling performance as a heatsink with two old Noctua fans, under certain circumstances, as in this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=MePL4Bfqdis

It is still a pretty feat of engineering.

I was referring to this exact demo user. A push/pull setup on a thick watercooling radiator yields 10-15% improvement based on xtremerigs.net/2015/02/20/pushpull-radiator-setups-learned-stop-worry-love-fans-less-noise/
A second fan on a heatsink like that does next to nothing.

>4 years to make a Gentle Typhoon clone
wew

Attached: GentleTyphoon-ViewFront_01.jpg (800x600, 140K)

>A second fan on a heatsink like that does next to nothing.
Makes it look nicer tho. More balanced.

I'm a professional miner. 4 X 4600 RPM.

3x NF F12 PWM @0RPM (Only starts if CPU is above 65C which never happens unless I game for 12 hours straight)
2x NF A15 PWM @260RPM (only goes above 260RPM if CPU goes above 60C which only happens if I game CPU intensive games and then it goes to 350RPM instead of 260RPM)

Attached: Guts3.jpg (1280x1224, 543K)

>all the people itt using fixed speed
y tho

Attached: 1522543243446.jpg (634x473, 30K)

Here are my stats. All three fans are Noctua NF-P12 PWM. You can see the speeds they run at.

Overall, I like them.

Attached: 1508405794207.png (1536x795, 89K)

Because temps aren't going up.
So the fan never reaches higher speeds.
I have my fans to run at 100% once the CPU reaches 70C but it can't get that high thus, fans are never going above 350RPM on the CPU.
Case fans as said above are almost never on anyway and I haven't been able to open the AI suite fast enough to see the RPM on those until it's too late since they spin for 2-3 seconds then goes silent again for a few hours.

600 RPM
Corsair ML RGB fans
hey are wonderful
I generally prefer many slow running fans

Anyone who asks about how fast you run you fans is a degenerate retards who doesn't know shit about computers.

Literally anyone half competent will use some shit like speedfan and have the system automatically regulate the fan speed based on component temp

When i'm just browsing the internet, most of my fans are automatically turned off and cpu and shit are on very slow, like 200rpm so the pc is completely silent

1150/1000/1000rpm
Gives me just enough ambient sound to help me sleep

whats up with this fan autism?

two in the front, one in the back, cpu, psu, gpu and boom 5 fans and perfect air circ
any more than that is just a placeebo and extra noise
I but you use those 10cm thick $5000 audio cables too

NH-D15 - 5820K is grilling at around 50c idle
The rest are 3x Silent Wings 3 case fans
Semi-fanless GPU
Fanless PSU

Attached: Capture.png (427x113, 6K)

Anything over 900 rpm is noisy

i can life with anything

I turn the fans down until I can't hear them over the sound of the hard drives. No point in running them any slower than that, it won't make things any quieter. No idea what the actual RPM is though, the CPU fan where I can monitor that is never the loudest one.

I have the fan controller set to correlate with the CPU temperature. If it sees the CPU is nearing 60C, It'll increase fan speed. The system is quiet until you start doing ffmpeg or some other things that can max out a Threadripper. The system does not get noisy during gaming.In fact, the only other thing that has made it noisy other than ffmpeg is 7-zip. I can always adjust, or get new fans, but if it's a big deal, I can just do something else. I always have shit to do.

these fans makes me moist

wish i could buy them instad of my shitty nanoxia fans but alas, expensive and why not upgrade case in that case eh

source on release in may

they were supposed to release last year in september

calling fudzilla on your bs.

Attached: 5AFZ9_AS02.jpg (1000x1000, 117K)

Dang it bobby

Bought a fan controller but it was doa so I don't know what rpm they run at but those white cheap ones with a low voltage optional plug, I have like 8 of them all on the lowest setting, computer runs cool and quiet. . Except for coil whine

I have a thermal probe in my case that's measuring the ambient temperature inside. I use that value to drive my case fans.

>been using fans
>0 rpm
what did he mean by this?!

>not having a fan on his VRMs
>not having a fan for the back of his gpu and mobo
DO YOU EVEN overclock?!

I got this server fan that I only use during the summer thats 4000rpm. Sounds like my desktop is trying to take off.