Fuchsia

Are you ready for closed source drivers, user?

Fuchsia is a new operating system by google built on the Zircon micro kernel (google).
User application are developed with the Dart programming language (google).
Zircon being MIT licensed, closed source proprietary drivers will be the norm.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia
Fuchsia is not Linux: fuchsia.googlesource.com/docs/ /master/the-book/
Zircon's source code: fuchsia.googlesource.com/zircon/ /master
Hackernews discussions: news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16813796

My analysis:

Haven't looked it all but this is definitively breaking the unix philosophy. The kernel is made with
distributed programming and virtualization in mind but also high performance demanding graphic
applications. The user graphic api is built on top of Vulkan.

Go's channels and rust's ownership concepts are implemented in the kernel through system calls.
Objects are represented by handles. When a process sends a handle to a channel, that process
looses the ownership of that handle. The first process to get the handle also gets its ownership.

Usage of Dart is interesting. google probably wants a complete control on the software stack (NIH syndrome?)

It seems to advance fast, really fast. There is already a complete developing environment available.

Attached: 512px-Google_fuchsia3.svg.png (512x512, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/littlekernel/lk
github.com/littlekernel/lk/wiki/Introduction
flutter.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=PaKIZ7gJlRU
wiki.debian.org/Firmware
yarchive.net/comp/linux/gpl_modules.html
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/blob/ec8280a406de6ba4d6d2891a428b5bda1bd9dd83/docs/zx_and_lk.md
github.com/littlekernel/lk/blob/660c4ab08ce10be8e9e6267f0618196c846b6a04/lib/cdcconsole/include/lib/cdcconsole/cdcconsole.h
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/search?utf8=✓&q=Travis Geiselbrecht&type=
github.com/littlekernel/lk/search?utf8=✓&q=Travis Geiselbrecht&type=
developer.arm.com/products/software/mali-drivers/midgard-kernel
chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/ /chromeos-3.18/drivers/gpu/drm/img-rogue/
packages.debian.org/sid/nvidia-kernel-source
packages.debian.org/jessie/kernel/fglrx-modules-dkms
paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-linux-professional/
broadcom.com/support/download-search/?pf=Wireless LAN Infrastructure
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Are you ready for closed source drivers, user?
user, you just invalidated your whole post with the very first sentence.

>Are you ready for closed source drivers, user?
No. But least isn't full close source like Windows.
Also, I hope they are reaching the diversity quotes on programing team a Windows start do doing the same.

Attached: 1518960308026.gif (500x448, 1.44M)

>trusting google
>ever

>literally the only major company fighting unwanted OOB management

>Zircon being MIT licensed, closed source proprietary drivers will be the norm.
That's a non sequitur

>new operating system
>by google
neither of those are true, see
github.com/littlekernel/lk
which jewgle simply forked and removed stuff they didn't want

the only reason for linux drivers to be open source is the enforcing of gplv2. this is not the case with the mit license.

>operating system = kernel

Attached: wow anon.jpg (884x574, 78K)

Proprietary drivers are more common on Linux than they are on OpenBSD.

there is not a single closed source driver in linux. you are probably confusing with firmwares and user land libraries.

>no valid argument to post
>pulling a stallman
how brainlet are you?
also, does google compensate spammers like op nicely? or do you just get app discounts on the play store?

it's more than a kernel, retard

You fucking know I am. I don't care about free as in freedom garbage. Open sores trash is an abomination that only autists care about. I just want it to werk™ and give better battery life.

>in linux
You mean inside the official kernel source?
Of course not. But naturally that's true for any MIT/BSD licensed kernel as well.

Attached: 1511029735193.png (817x891, 27K)

not what github.com/littlekernel/lk/wiki/Introduction says

Whatever, Fuchsia has nothing to do with LK and already has a complete application development framework flutter.io/

>You mean inside the official kernel source?
you can't distribute a binary of the linux without providing the source code.

>But naturally that's true for any MIT/BSD licensed kernel as well.
no. where is the source of the sony ps4 or nintendo switch kernel?

>Haven't looked it all but this is definitively breaking the unix philosophy
>implying that's a bad thing

Attached: 9d5.png (2688x2688, 173K)

Explain

>you can't distribute a binary of the linux without providing the source code.
If I modify Linux itself. However I don't have to.
I can ship my proprietary driver as an external kernel module.
Just look at Android phones, most of the drivers are proprietary and closed source.

>no. where is the source of the sony ps4 or nintendo switch kernel?
Those aren't BSD licensed kernels. They are merely based on BSD licensed kernels.

The only Zircon I'd ever use is the Rock Zircon earphone.

>If I modify Linux itself. However I don't have to.
if you keep it for yourself, no, if you distribute it, then yes, you have to.

>Just look at Android phones, most of the drivers are proprietary and closed source.
that would be illegal, anything running in the kernel shall be open source.

>Those aren't BSD licensed kernels. They are merely based on BSD licensed kernels.
do you even have the least knowledge of what you are talking about? this is what the bsd licence says

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

you can't remove the bsd licence.

>that would be illegal, anything running in the kernel shall be open source.
This is plain wrong.

>if you keep it for yourself, no, if you distribute it, then yes, you have to.
I don't modify kernel at all. What you don't understand about it?
Have you never ever used a proprietary driver with Linux, like for example nvidia drivers?

>that would be illegal, anything running in the kernel shall be open source.
Nope.

>you can't remove the bsd licence.
From the original parts. But the modifications I add can be licensed however I want. Resulting in a dual-licensed kernel.

dumb gnuposters itt

>I don't modify kernel at all. What you don't understand about it?
linux is the kernel and only the kernel. linux is not an operating system on its own. you are confusing with gnu+linux, android, ...

>Have you never ever used a proprietary driver with Linux, like for example nvidia drivers?
the driver is open source but the implementation of opengl in the userland is not.

>From the original parts. But the modifications I add can be licensed however I want. Resulting in a dual-licensed kernel.
and this is exactly why fuchsia will have closed drivers contrary to linux. thanks for sustaining my point.

>This is plain wrong.
prove it then.

youtube.com/watch?v=PaKIZ7gJlRU

Attached: maxiumbuthurt.gif (600x487, 120K)

wiki.debian.org/Firmware

>are you ready for closed source drivers, user?
So... Exactly like Android?

Attached: 1518801026720.png (849x849, 566K)

firmware is not code, it's data uploaded to a device for executing it. it's not being run by kernel.

There's literally nothing wrong with closed source drivers because otherwise companies could reveal critical IP of their products to competitors.

Shoot me. I'm a red blooded capitalist.

>linux is the kernel and only the kernel.
And I'm talking about the kernel you retard.
You can add additional kernel modules without modifying the kernel source at all.

>the driver is open sourc
No it's not

>and this is exactly why fuchsia will have closed drivers contrary to linux
Except Linux has a fuck ton of closed source drivers.

>firmware is not code, it's data
Oh boy.

>You can add additional kernel modules without modifying the kernel source at all.
you shall provide the source or you are breaking the gplv2 licens

read this from Linus Torvalds
yarchive.net/comp/linux/gpl_modules.html

>Except Linux has a fuck ton of closed source drivers.
would you please name a few?

firmware not being executed by the kernel and not even by the CPU, it is not considered as code

>you shall provide the source or you are breaking the gplv2 licens
>read this from Linus Torvalds
>So being a module is not a sign of not being a derived work. It's just one sign that _maybe_ it might have other arguments for why it isn't derived.
lol ok

>yarchive.net/comp/linux/gpl_modules.html
>a binary module CAN be construed as a derived work in some cases but doesn't have to be
Again proprietary Linux modules are possible.
And plenty of them _EXIST_.

>would you please name a few?
The GPU, VPU, and GSM module driver of your Android phone.

>And plenty of them _EXIST_.
you are repeating this but still haven't gave a single example.

>The GPU, VPU, and GSM module driver of your Android phone.
they are open source. be more specific.

>ugly OS
>ugly logo
>ugly name
>google
literally poo of the OSes
if google will ever force em switch to that piece of shit from android i'l just migrate to apple.

The Arm Mali drivers, PowerVR driver, Nvidia's GPU driver, AMD's catalyst, Paragon NTFS, Broadcom STA wlan drivers, ...

>Fuchsia has nothing to do with LK
wrong, see
>github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/blob/ec8280a406de6ba4d6d2891a428b5bda1bd9dd83/docs/zx_and_lk.md
>github.com/littlekernel/lk/blob/660c4ab08ce10be8e9e6267f0618196c846b6a04/lib/cdcconsole/include/lib/cdcconsole/cdcconsole.h
>github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/search?utf8=✓&q=Travis Geiselbrecht&type=
>github.com/littlekernel/lk/search?utf8=✓&q=Travis Geiselbrecht&type=
they can't get away with removing the copyright notices, no matter how hard they try to rebrand and obfuscate that shit

are you retarded or what? zircon is the kernel, fuchsia is the os using that kernel.

>muh unix philosophy
Yes, that's why the BSDs are wildly successful outside of basements.

>MIT Kernel from a major comapny
Hell yeah time to close the GNUlag that is the linux kernel. GPL can die in hell

>yet another stallman argument
is that all, you google employees, are allowed to say about it? pathetic, really

>The Arm Mali drivers
developer.arm.com/products/software/mali-drivers/midgard-kernel

>PowerVR driver
chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/ /chromeos-3.18/drivers/gpu/drm/img-rogue/

>Nvidia's GPU driver
packages.debian.org/sid/nvidia-kernel-source

>AMD's catalyst
packages.debian.org/jessie/kernel/fglrx-modules-dkms

>Paragon NTFS
paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-linux-professional/
"A development environment is required to compile Linux drivers and utilities."

>Broadcom STA wlan drivers
broadcom.com/support/download-search/?pf=Wireless LAN Infrastructure
"All Linux. operating-system-specific code is provided in source form, making it possible to retarget to different kernel versions and fix operating system related issues."

everything running in the kernel is open source.

Who cares, if there code is so easy to copy and steal their product then the product is shit. Sharing knowledge will help everyone and come back to the business in other open advances.

>This package provides the source for the NVIDIA Xorg _binary_ kernel module needed by nvidia-driver in a form suitable for use by module-assistant or kernel-package.
>This package contains the _blobs_ for building kernel modules for the amd64 architecture. Building the kernel modules has been tested up to Linux 4.16.

You need a compilation step so that the module matches the current kernel ABI. That doesn't mean the whole module is open-source, only the interface to the kernel headers.

the whole module is open source, what is not is the user land libraries (libgl.so)

The kernel module package even literally says "nonfree".
The kernel module is not open-source.

Attached: 2BDCF05100000578-3217786-image-a-61_1441075624264(1).jpg (634x423, 56K)

Go fuck yourself.

Learn to admit you're wrong. Jesus.

Google realized that they can't keep a competitive edge with open source. If they have to open source all their innovations and their competitoers don't then Google is fucked. That's why they need Fuchsia. Will be like OS X where the kernel is open but all the magic that makes it the superior operating system is closed source.

>would you please name a few?
amdgpu-pro

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Fuchsia is in fact, Fuchsia/Zircon or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Fuchsia plus Zircon. Zircon is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Fuchisa system made useful by the Zircon corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

This is basically what they've already done with Android. Google builds proprietary apps (camera, video player, audio player, memos, search, calendar etc) on top of the open-source OS and now all the mainstream hardware companies either use Google's propriatory bullshit or they're forced to make their own apps to make Android at all functional.

To people which don't understand the overall decision to create another system, I'll talk about at least one benefit to create a system that is not Linux: make software more simple and efficient. Do you really think that Linux is so great? Linux is a bloat system, POSIX is not so great as well (do you really read the WHOLE POSIX spec?).

It's important standards, it's important sometimes (SOMETIMES) compatibility. But not all this stuff defined in POSIX it's important. POSIX sucks sometimes, only GNU can be worse about being bloated.

Only users which don't touch in code can think that Linux, POSIX and GNU are entities following principles based in simplicity. Linux following Unix guidelines? This only can be a joke of Linus.

Creating custom software, maintaining and other stuff on things THAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND has a massive cost. As well, the cost to understand complex things, it's even worse.

Sometimes it's even more simple re-inventing the wheel than understand why a wheel was build with a fractal design.

retard. you lost the argument.
learn to accept defeat.

Attached: 1523320798455.png (485x443, 26K)