/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: ParJh9q.jpg (3840x2400, 899K)

Other urls found in this thread:

legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-amd-am4-platform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259/2
pcpartpicker.com/list/KHBvWD
pcpartpicker.com/list/xYjZfH
gamersnexus.net/guides/3251-raven-ridge-soc-voltage-guidelines-how-to-kill-cpu-with-safe-voltage
pcpartpicker.com/list/wGtWbX
amazon.com/dp/B00FE690DI/ref=psdc_1292115011_rv_t1_B00LPC3U8Q?th=1
pcpartpicker.com/product/VC8j4D/adata-xpg-gammix-d10-8gb-2-x-4gb-ddr4-3000-memory-ax4u3000w4g16-dbg
techrankup.com/processors-gaming-ranking.php
pcpartpicker.com/list/prNykd
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994213
pcpartpicker.com/list/T3cMcY
pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg
pcpartpicker.com/user/Algodeen/saved/KcYhqs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
Making a Ryzen 5 1600 build.
Will 3000MHz RAM make much of a difference compared to 2400MHz?

Talking about a single 8GB stick btw, will add another in the future.

Yes it will, but you'll fuck the speed by using a single channel

Yes though dual channel would be optimal
legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-amd-am4-platform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259/2

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-benchmark-RAM-DDR4.jpg (939x306, 45K)

Anyone else here ever own an HP Z420? Mine came in the mail a few days ago: 3.6Ghz Xeon; 8GB ram; 600W PSU; NVS 510 GPU (shite for games, but good enough for a workstation).

Trying to decide what else I want to do with it. I want to replace the NVS 510 with a 960.

Anyone else ever do shit with a refurbished z420?

Ah, so get two 8GB sticks then? Thanks.

DAM WHERE CAN I GET THESE LIL SLUTS

MICROSOLDERING UNDER A SCOPE WITH NEEDLE TIPS IS A PAIN IN THE ASS

If you can afford it yes, look for the cheapest F4-3200 2x8GB kit

Do I build a PC now or is shit going to get cheaper soon

Attached: Spike_dies.jpg (629x478, 61K)

is the ryzen segfault issue still prevalent, i just bought a 1700 off newegg

A bunch of Ryzen 2000 series are being released literally next week (day 19).
So... wait.

Any ryzen built after a certain week is free of the issue. Personally, I'd just grab a 2700 instead, since they're released in a week.

pcpartpicker.com/list/KHBvWD
Stupid question, do I need a cpu cooler unless I'm overclocking?
And is an SSD necessary for my build with gaming in mind?

You dont "need" it. But you should buy a 20-30 dollar one for it

>Multi-core doesn't matter!
>Productivity doesn't matter!
>Price/performance doesn't matter!
>Performance per watt doesn't matter!
>Power usage doesn't matter!
>Temperatures don't matter!
>Soldered dies don't matter!
>Stutters don't matter!
>Streaming doesn't matter!
>Data centers don't matter!
>Locked CPUs don't matter!
>OEMs don't matter!
>Hyperscalers don't matter!
>Upgradeability doesn't matter!
>Anti-competitive business practices don't matter!
>Locked platform features don't matter!
>Synthetic loads don't matter!
>Burnt pins don't matter!
>*NEW* CPU exploits don't matter!
>*NEW* ECC support doesn't matter!
>*NEW* PCI-e lanes don't matter!
>*NEW* Power draw several times the TDP doesn't matter!

Attached: 1500705144874.png (786x931, 741K)

?
what got you tilted today goy?

>dual Corsair LPX @ 3000mhz
>Ryzen 5 2400G
>chinkabyte ab350m
>Computer is stable everywhere else BUT sometimes when I let my brother play league of legends the entire screen goes green and he has to unplug the thing.

Can I get this fixed through drivers or am I gonna have to RMA?

Attached: 1480686580143.jpg (957x621, 90K)

This is stupid troubleshooting you've surely done but I'm asking because it's part of the flowchart that I'm forced to follow.
Have you tried using your ram @ stock rather than OC?

>tfw I was so certain it was a driver issue I didnt even consider that.

Attached: 95f.png (655x509, 28K)

I'm in for a new build (coming from a 4700 and a r9 290) for medium/heavy illustrator and cad work mostly.

Haven't kept up with brands since then, would you recommend an intel cpu + a 1070/1080 or go for a ryzen/vega build? Or maybe mix it up?

Attached: 1518528166474.jpg (620x740, 72K)

Are dual socket LGA-1366 builds still viable solutions for server use? Or are they too antiquated? I can get
>Matched pair of 6c/12t Xeon X5650's - $60
>Super Micro dual 1366 socket board - $120
>Figure 6x 8GB ECC sticks for $30 each I see them go for - $180

That's 24 processing threads and 48GB of ECC ram for less than $400. Am I missing something here?

pcpartpicker.com/list/xYjZfH

is this a good first build fellas? is there anything here that isn't that good? budget is around $900

twf you will never have anime schoolgirls building your pcbs

Attached: crying_cat.jpg (687x686, 75K)

What are the maximum voltages for Raven Ridge to minimize degredation? Getting a 2400g to wait out the mining apocalypse and I want to OC.

Thermals shouldn't be an issue as I'll be running it under a 240mm rad.

Vega is impossible to find.
I'd say Intel + 1070 just because some CAD software doesn't play nice with AMD chips.

You're spending too much on CPU/platform. Drop to an i3 8100 and a B360 board with 2x4GB faster RAM and get a GTX 1060

SSD is too small, I don't think anything below 256 makes sense.

I want to make a home server that hosts an Arma 3 server (with 30-50 mods, mostly CUP), Teamspeak server, and owncloud server which will be used by less than 10 friends and family. Where should I start? What price range should I expect? I would only need 2 TB of storage.

Any portable monitors?
Good if around 17 inches, since my system unit 17(a bit more) inches too.

- change ram to cheapest 3000/3200mhz
- up your ssd to mx500 250gb
- change psu to seasonic 520w (or focus plus), g3 650w is an overkill
- don't pay for windows, just use an activator, microsoft literally doesn't care anymore as long as you are using their products (they're selling your data anyway). buying windows is for ultimate cucks
with those changes you'll be able to get gtx 1060 6gb and still stay in budget.

>If you ask us, we think decent overclocks are achievable with 1.2-1.25V SOC going into the socket, and that more than that isn’t really necessary, anyway.
gamersnexus.net/guides/3251-raven-ridge-soc-voltage-guidelines-how-to-kill-cpu-with-safe-voltage

Hey, fellas. I currently have these components,
pcpartpicker.com/list/wGtWbX

Is there any upgrades that could be done? Should I wait for the next gen ryzens and Nvidia cards, or will a simple addition of an ssd do it?

Attached: truedissapointment.png (600x900, 343K)

Thanks!

An ssd is the cheapest and biggest upgrade you can make.

Overclocking your ram or getting faster ram would help too.

For 1080p@60hz your system looks sufficient.

Thanks, any recommendations on SSD? Brands, size, vendor, etc.

Attached: ryuko.png (650x686, 249K)

Help ;_;
Since i had to travel a lot, i really need to choose something like this
amazon.com/dp/B00FE690DI/ref=psdc_1292115011_rv_t1_B00LPC3U8Q?th=1
Are these good for playing games? How many latency it has?

Attached: 2JC16aFtV6M.jpg (545x460, 38K)

will there be a low tier (3) for the 2000 series or was that Raven Ridge?

just wondering if they're only doing 5 and 7

>Power supply fan is making a lot of noise

Is this common? Is it fixable? Do I have to get a new one now

Attached: 1490389439496.jpg (512x599, 79K)

Stock coolers for gayming are ok. SSD is also good for gayming

Stock cooler on intel is a joke. Even a 20 dollar cooler will be sufficient for 8400. Besides you can't overclock 8400

A B350 PC Mate, GA-AB350-Gaming 3 or a Strix B350-F so you can overclock, a SU800 256GB, MX300 275GB or a SU650 480GB and this kit or a 2x8GB F4-3000 or 3200 if you can afford it
pcpartpicker.com/product/VC8j4D/adata-xpg-gammix-d10-8gb-2-x-4gb-ddr4-3000-memory-ax4u3000w4g16-dbg

are monitor prices ever going to come down? I just want to play overwatch without screen tearing.

Attached: 1-s2.0-S0960982211011882-gr2_lrg.jpg (2244x1079, 316K)

Enable Vsync at 60FPS

SSD, then wait.
I'm not sure if an R5 1600 is even a wise upgrade with that mobo, although you can fully utilize up to a 1060 6GB tier graphics card with your 1300X

If gaming is your first concern then get slower cpu and better gpu

techrankup.com/processors-gaming-ranking.php

i get this reasoning but games have graphical settings you can change if you gpu can run them, but if your cpu is bottlenecked then there isnt much you can do

Yeah but a 1050Ti is bottlenecked even by a G4560 most of the time, to say nothing about a 4c/4t i3

Attached: 1507334266591.png (4000x2309, 3.03M)

Is Ryzen still incapable of running ESXi with SMT on? I'm getting conflicting information when I look around for answers.

Attached: KEY80052.jpg (640x480, 91K)

Will the ASUS Prime H310M-E work well with the i3 8100?

I have a limited budget of $225 for a motherboard and processor.

Crucial MX500 is the current king of price/performance.

256GB is the Jow Forums recommended minimum.

NVME drives and the Samsung 850 evo are faster than the MX500 I mentioned, but for most end user scenarios you won't see any benefit. They're also significantly more expensive than the MX500.

No, RR was the quad core refresh, a 2400g is a decent bit faster than the 1500x.

>G4560 in 2018

The coffee lake Pentium Gold G5400 is the current poverty tier CPU. 2c/4t and same price as the Kaby Lake was.

I'm gonna upgrade my PC soon and I'm thinking of something like this.
pcpartpicker.com/list/prNykd
I already have 1060 6GB so no need for a better GPU. Not sure what kind of a CPU cooler should I get, was thinking about NH-U12S. Is this a shit upgrade plan or not? Most likely I'm going to have to buy a new keyboard and mouse too but that's a problem for later.

Attached: 1472967938805.jpg (699x434, 52K)

Right forgot to say this is meant for 1080p gaymen obviously. Overkill, much?

>work well
It'll work just fine. 300 series processor and motherboard, they both list support for eachother. No overclocking, but that's a locked processor. What do the rest of your parts look like?

no real reason to get a z370 board with a locked cpu

My point was that the 1050Ti bottlenecks almost any CPU, so he needs a better graphics card even if it means getting a cheaper CPU

Can get a B360 (w/ lots of phases or a heatsink on the VRMs) and cheaper 2666MHz RAM if you want to save a buck

What motherboards would you suggest then?

Can I hotswap a SSD into and out of a laptop using some CD-drive replacement bay? The intended use case is a lot of read/write off a SD card from a camera, then wiping the SD card to take more pictures, then taking the ssd and physically plugging it into my NAS at home to pull the files off that way because USB transfer speed is anus.

I was thinking something like this.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994213

Attached: 1994191.jpg (990x743, 89K)

The in box wraith cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 1600 didn't have any sort of film over the thermal compound that was already applied to it that needed to be removed did it?

Was it covered at all? Like a plastic shroud or some part of the packaging that prevented it from touching the box?

Yeah it was, I bought a legit new one from Amazon.

I just watched some video of a build and the guy just straight up put his in box cooler flat on the table and it made me second guess whether or not there was some film I needed to remove before installing the fan.

no it comes in a plastic box that doesn't allow the bottom to touch the box so you don't need to remove anything

How are your temps? Install Speccy from piriform or speedfan or cpuz or msi afterburner or fucking something for me to go off. If you're under 40c at idle you're good. Otherwise you better be overclocked or living on venus because you might have an issue.

I want a new case. My current one Corsair 200R is collecting dust like it's a vacuum cleaner. Can you recommend me a case that is not doing that. The quieter it is the better obviously. Also I would appreciate if it's under 100$ or close to that. One of my friend keeps recommending the NZXT Phantom 410 for me but he's an alcoholic and I'm afraid to trust him.

500 CAD for a used STRIX 1070 which the owner claims is still under warranty and wasn't mined on.

Do I pull the trigger? It's $600+ any import fees to get an FE 1070 straight from nvidia.

Maybe the Asrock B360M Pro4
Or possibly any B360 with a heatsink

Guys I need some help. I'm not very good at technology and recently started to get into pc gaming. I can't buy a premade because they're terrible where I'm at. I want to build my own but my grasp of computer parts is a bit limited.
Like I said, the objective is gayman, and I did read the OP, the pastebin and did some basic googling. I arrived at this pcpartpicker.com/list/T3cMcY
The problem is I don't know much about monitors and PSU's (nothing at all, really), I know that the 1080ti is capable of really high framerates on 1440p but I don't know what Hz that would mean. I read it can do 4k as well but is there a high framarate monitor in 4k? How important is g-sync, if at all? The higher framerate is good for games, I read, but I don't know how big the difference is, do you have any experience with it? I'd be happy if you could recommend me some monitors that would go well with the build. I don't have any clues about PSU's, but would like help with that as well. As for a case (I'm completely clueless, just something that is a bit on the simpler side, maybe black, maybe with a window too. I picked the noctua fans because there isn't a thread without it being mentioned, but I have no idea about those either. Please help.

Need a good wireless card for my desktop. PCI/PCIe of any kind works. USB also but Ive always had shit luck with those. Yes i know its slower than wired. Yes I have my reasons. Preferably less than 100USD

oh I forgot to add that I don't know if the motherboard is good or not, but I saw it mentioned a few times and the website said there wouldn't be compatibility issues. I don't know if my build is good or not, so if you have any components that do the same thing but are just more obscure for someone like me, that would alright as well. I'm sorry to make the Nth post on the subject, Jow Forums

newegg.ca has a 1070ti for $653 right now

Does buying a gtx 1060 3gb make sense nowadays if I'm only looking for relatively stable performance (60fps) on medium-high settings at 1080p? It's currently around 270€ where I live.
Or should I drop around 300€ for a used GTX 1060 6gb?

I'm planning on buying a used I7-3770k, 16gb 2133MHz ram, and a MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo.
Going to pair it with my 1050 TI I already have but I don't know what kind of power supply I would need. Also don't know if a coolermaster 212 would be able to keep the 3770k at a comfortable temperature.

Better be a low profile 1050ti.

13% sales tax

What is the best non-small factor case that can accommodate a mini-itx board?

Have been running my pc like this for months because I cannot decide on a bigger case.

Attached: bumstation.jpg (4032x2268, 3.25M)

Nzxt h200i is nice albeit expensive.
Fractal Design Nano S (they make a windowed and non-windowed version)

Pretty sure you could put it in an ATX case even though it will look stupid

>Hyper 212 at a comfortable temperature
Unless you're overclocking the living fuck out of your chip, the cooler will do fine. I had a 212 Evo on my FX-8320 back in the day and I was able to clock it to 4.7ghz no problem. You could also de-lid your chip and reapply proper TIM.
If you're only looking to do 1080p 60FPS, the 3GB variant would be fine. If need be just turn down the shadows and AA a little to maintain high FPS. I personally wouldn't buy a used GPU in the aftermath of the coin miners. You'd probably get some poor 6GB 1060 that's been under 100% load for the last 3 months straight.

Hz is 1/s so the amount of Hz is the amount of frames you will get every second
1080ti can get you 144+fps at 1440p but that depends on the game obviously
at 4k you will get much lower frame rates and on very poorly made games it may be really hard to play
g-sync is great if you don't mind the price difference. it will reduce screen tearing without the added lag of things like v-sync
higher framerate looks better and feels better
go to newegg and its pretty easy to find a good monitor for yourself there. I would recommend 1440p 144 or higher refresh rate. TN has less ghosting but the colors aren't as good when compared to VA or IPS. IPS 1440p 144+Hz panels have quality control issues though
For PSUs you will likely want at least a 750W. For modularity full means all cables can be removed if wanted, semi means the 24 pin connector can't be removed, no means nothing can be removed
Just look around at cases and see what you like I don't have any suggestions
your cpu cooler is the best and you will need it for teh 8700k
I don't know much about coffee lake motherboards but you will definitely want a z370 board like you currently have

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Is pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg a good monitor or does it have some hidden catch?

that is a pretty standard monitor and should be fine

>Nzxt h200i
Might get that one. Cheers.

well alright, is there a better size, maybe 27'' is too small for the resolution? I don't know

27" is perfect

All this time I've been using solder when I should've been using tiny anime girls? Why didn't anybody tell me

ah good, that's one thing down.

Any 1155 socket mobo that doesnt look complete shit???

Are dual monitors a meme?

less of a meme than ultra wide

why would more screen space be a meme?

what if it's too much for my brain?

Attached: 1507164907066.png (645x729, 82K)

depends what the server is being used for.

Are they viable? Sure. They'll use a good deal more power than a modern equivalent though.

it kind of is because you can only focus on one at a time and using any decent OS can replicate the productivity enhancement

That's not what your chart is showing at all. Only CPU bound titles like Battlefield 1 it looks like significantly benefit from better CPUs and even then on anything below a GTX 1070 it's like a 11% difference in fps for hundreds of dollars.

people don't use two monitors so they can focus on both things at once
it is so they can switch back and forth without hassle

>Computer freezes while it's just sitting in the Bios

Is this an indicator that my motherboard is fucked? I've been getting bluescreens and errors for while now.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Algodeen/saved/KcYhqs

I'm building for basically content creation, streaming, gaming, or anything else.

Looking for recommendations on the Cooler because someone a few threads ago said I should stay away form AIO Coolers.

Attached: 2018-04-12_22h47_03.png (857x647, 59K)

Should I try buying this, sell the shitty Xeon processor inside for $50 then get a decent $200 processor?

Attached: Screenshot_20180412-230150.png (1080x1920, 217K)