So I want to Linux, but:

So I want to Linux, but:
1. I want it on stationary PC
2. But my stationary PC is for gayming
3. I don't want to dual boot
4. I don't want no laptop

what do i do

Attached: linux_distros[1].png (1602x1199, 608K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
gist.github.com/Misairu-G/616f7b2756c488148b7309addc940b28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Virtual machine

Virtual Machine

vms are buggy as hell :/

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Install Ubuntu and hope for the best.

Stop being a little bitch and just dual boot.
>vms are buggy as hell :/
Then your shit out of luck. All you have is either dual booting or VM's take your pick.

You have three options. Buy a laptop, but another desktop, or run it in a virtual machine. No, virtual machines aren't buggy, at least not when you're emulating x86 on x86 hardware. So install VirtualBox or QEMU and spin up a VM.

Macos can be a bit sluggish though from my experience, everything else is bretty fast

You better use a dual boot if you want gayming on it, wine doesnt work well with some games, and configuring it sometimes is a pain in the ass.

You're retarded.

That's because it's tailored so specifically to Apple hardware that it reads ID chips for fan controllers and internal LCD panels, and will fail to boot and/or utilize these devices unless it verifies them. Unless you need XCode, there's no point in using locked down iBaby OS with Bash version 3 and no good apps. All good software out there is made for Windows and Linux, and most Windows software can be run on Linux using WINE.

The only real answer in this thread.

Dual boot you fucking retard, there's literally nothing wrong with it. You can just nuke your Linux partition and restore the MBR with a Windows recovery disk if you end up not liking Linux, that shit takes a minute at most.

If you can, try to move everything over to Linux, if you can't, then use both.

Virtual Machine

PCI pass-through if you are not a brainlet and poor

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

This. What the fuck is wrong with dualboot you dickpimple.

Has this been done before on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card and and igpu?

Second stationary PC, what else? Gayms on your gayms machine, anything else on your Linux machine.

I don't know, but you can be the first one. Take pictures!

i want to know if this works also

How about gentoo?

Install Linux on a differnt SSD. If you want to game just choose windrive in bios. Windows won't screw up your dual boot

how bout i fuck you motha through her eye sockets

No, they're not. They might require a bit of tweaking, but otherwise, they're perfectly fine.

Your best option with regards to gaming on Linux without dual booting is a VM w/ PCI passthrough. You may also want to look into Looking Glass, although I'm not sure if that's 100% finished yet.

Other than that, your option is Wine (which will be substantially more buggy and more of a pain in the ass than a VM, especially on Nvidia hardware, although it has gotten way better) or dual booting.

Some people just don't like the wait of restarting their PC, and having to close out of all of the applications they were using.

Yes.

gist.github.com/Misairu-G/616f7b2756c488148b7309addc940b28

>All good software out there is made for(...)Linux
What fucking planet do you live on? This is one of the most blatantly incorrect statements I've ever seen. Half of the reason why people don't use Linux in the first place is because of the LACK of good software.

>most Windows software can be run on Linux using WINE.
Yeah, poorly.

Attached: 1484859607732.png (500x500, 42K)

>(...)
Nice cherry picking. Also, when was the last time you tried WINE on something like Mint or Ubuntu? I find that most Windows programs I use (mostly CA software and old win32 games) runs better than it does natively on Windows.

Attached: 1521839261281.jpg (600x600, 102K)

Switch to cs go.
Or buy one more pc.

Windows 10 with Linux Subsystem

Install ubuntu and play one or the thousands games on steam, GOG and those Windows games that works via wine/playonlinux.
But realise that you can't play some games.

either switch to linux games or dont install linux. WIne+dxvk is easy to set up on arch if you want to sarcrifice some performance and stability for an increased ammount of games available.

fuck you