Apple HomePod not selling well

>beat everyone to the punch with Siri
>sit on their asses and don't really improve it
>Amazon comes out with Alexa
>they iterate so fast, Alexa quickly surpasses Siri
>Google hurries out their home wiretap
>Apple finally wakes up and hack together their own wiretap, now with inferior voice recognition accuracy and command comprehension to both Amazon and Google's offerings
>gets surprised when it barely sells

Attached: rip siri.png (580x339, 109K)

I think they bolted on Siri at the last minute, the actual audio hardware inside is supposed to be pretty good for a small speaker.

it is, the problem is very little people want to spend $300 on a glorified single speaker

But muh Apple.

I would trust Apple with my data a lot more than Google or Amazon.

I was hoping the HomePod would bring down the cost of Google Home Max $50 or so but it couldn't even do that. Worthless.

Normies don't know the difference.

This desu. Apple doesn't have that much of a motivation to spy when they already have a huge margin on their hardware products.

Those data get send to the same three letters agencies anyway.

What the fuck does a HomePod even do? I can't think of a single circumstance where this would make a good purchase. Same goes for that Amazon Alexa or whatever it's called that laughs in the middle of the night.

this though. But seriously, fuck these products. They're just things to buy for people who have a consumerist itch and want to buy something but have zero hobbies or personality so they can't think of anything to buy.

With Alexa, you can say things like "Turn off the porch light" in the bedroom and it will turn off the porch light if the lighting is Alexa-compatible.

>people unironically use "personal assistants"

Hardly a personal assistant, more like a botnet enabled home spying device

But everyone already carries their phone everywhere so why not just do it through Siri (in Apple's case)? Or whatever Android has, or Microsoft. I guess for amazon it makes a little sense as they don't have an over all platform of their own.

>glorified single speaker

it's not even a normal bluetooth speaker, only apple protocols supported

Because there are times where you're not next to your phone or it's dead and you still want to change the lights or song

You're an idiot.

ITODDLERS BTFO

It makes perfect sense for amazon specifically because they dont have any other way to get into the home, where the more valuable data can be obtained. Now with Alexa they do.
Google and Apple were content with the data farmed from their mobile products that they didn't really need another source.

>What the fuck does a HomePod even do? I can't think of a single circumstance where this would make a good purchase. Same goes for that Amazon Alexa or whatever it's called that laughs in the middle of the night.
I don't get it either. I've seen some people controlling lights with them, but always in some 1900 square foot home - where the switch is literally seconds from them. It just seems like a lot of complexity to do something really simple. In a huge house you use a Lutron system or something, and maybe this would be a cheaper alternative but I don't see why mass market people would appreciate it.

The rest of the time I just see people asking it to do dumb shit that was probably easier to do from a phone.

Seems like a lot of extra cost and complexity just to see what the stock market did today.

Attached: huh.png (450x413, 130K)

Everyone found out you can't use it as a bluetooth speaker too soon.

>the actual audio hardware inside is supposed to be pretty good for a small speaker.
It really doesn't though. I don't even think it sounds any better than Sonos. Alexa is worse sounding but, the bar is pretty low if people think Apple's sounds good.

I guess a pair of decent bookshelves is just too much for people to handle.

you can't use it as a bluetooth speaker even?

Attached: 1518139439724.jpg (400x386, 25K)

Its pretty chill to play music on my stereo from a small standalone device, let alone control it with my voice, or switch my music over on the stereo when I come home and take out my earphones. I live in a small 15 sqare meter room and dont have a wall mounted light switch so it's very practical you can imagine even for people in small houses. Also getting the news and weather in the morning, setting timers without pulling out my phone, and being able to set custom routines, shopping lists and whatnot is pretty much just practical for 50 buckaroos and ur privacy as a cost

I got my parents a cheap Echo for xmas. I wanted my 78yo mother especially to have internet access of some kind in the simplest way possible as she is technophobic. Whether she uses it is another matter. But it's there for her to ask any question she likes, play her favorite streaming radio station over bluetooth to their stereo or set reminders.

Shitty limitations

I think he means the SoC, it's basically a iPhone 6s with 1gb of RAM.

At least Google is transparent about the data they are collecting and what they are using them for.

they were too late to the market when everyone else already has products that work with all phones and 3rd party devices.

not to mention apple isnt even really trying to advertise it. the tablet and phone get all of those dumb fucking gimmicky 'art' commercials, and all i have seen for this dumb speaker is some fucking black background text with a song reused from a difference commercial.

if their marketing department cant figure out a why to make this thing look appealing with some gimmick commercial it will remain on shelves until the 2nd gen comes out

I'm sure apple will sell a $99 dongle for that.