>reassemble
>turn it back on
>it's running slow as hell
>fan is running full blast
>CPU is running hotter than ever
>thermal throttled down to like 700 MHz
>disassemble and try again
>reassemble, still running hot, but no longer jet engine
how fucked am I Jow Forums? Think they'll check the thermal paste if I complain to tech services?

Attached: marvin.jpg (600x553, 37K)

How much paste are you using???? It should be a little bit, put some Saran wrap on your finger and spread it evenly on the CPU before you put on the heatsink

1. Never ever disassemble anything that belongs to your employer, unless employer allows it.
2. Tech service will fix this
What laptop by the way, what thermal paste?

>apply fresh coat of thermal paste
It's not fucking paint you moron. I feel bad for your employer, people like you who think they have any business being near a screwdriver are hell to deal with.

I put a small tiny dot/blob in the middle and used the heatsink to spread it out. I've done this countless times before on other laptops and PC processors.

HP ProBook 645 G1
Noctua's NT-H1

Did you try cleaning the dust out? You shouldn't need new thermal paste.

yes, cleaned dust out of the fan and heatsink fins. however there wasn't a whole lot of dust to begin with.

It's a laptop they are all built like garbage unless you spent at least $1500 on it. Just buy a new one.

I don't think they'll notice that you disassembled it and changed the paste, but when you hand it over to tech services don't tell them you disassembled it, or that you even think it has anything to do with thermals at all.

your computer just isn't working right and the fans sound super duper loud sometimes for no reason

the funny part is tech support at OPs company wouldnt even go as far as to dismount the cpu sink and apply new paste

they'll just get you a new one, or another one and eventually replace all the units with new units regardless of whether or not they can be serviced or they're even defective at all

>HP ProBook 645 G1
Literally nothing to fuck up.

OP here again, i've been monitoring the temps, and things have pretty much settled to exactly where they were before reapplying thermal paste. The jet engine has stopped, but it still thermal throttles under load. So I'm about 99% sure the thermal solution provided by HP is inadequate for this processor. Aside from cutting a hole in the bottom of the laptop for more airflow, nothing i can do to solve it's overheating problems.

Attached: 1493531265692.jpg (406x405, 117K)

You're not supposed to spread it first. Just put a dot and then install the heatsink on top. It should press it down and squish it out.

You should clean your fan and heatsink, they might be full of dust

How well is the fan interacting with the heat exchanger, is it easy to see with the back plate off?

>Be me
Stopped reading there.

I cleaned the fan and heatsink fins before reassembling, they weren't that dirty.

The fan is spinning normal now under light loads, and it ramps up to max under 100% load. So the fan seems to be working fine, and it's not making any weird noises or anything.

>tech services
Stopped reading right there.

>Spread it
You're an idiot

why are you talking about stop reading.

Indeed he is. But I guess he cannot know that laptop CPUs are bare-die.

HP laptops always overheat. They're poorly made.

My (You) sense tingled. I haven't read what you said (because stopped reading), but I feel like answering to you.

That really depends on where he works. We do full repairs of machines at the place I work.