/wdg/ - Web Developer General

I want to post anime OPs, but people get mad

Previous Thread:
>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: wdg.png (1280x720, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

codecraft.tv/courses/angular/quickstart/overview/
npmjs.com/policies
youtube.com/watch?v=VlY5CfkL760
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What the hell does ¨application business domain¨ mean?

Got a job writing Angular, but I don't know Angular. Any good tutorials?

Use the documentation and maybe codecraft.tv/courses/angular/quickstart/overview/

>google audit wants people to use webp for images
>only supported by like 3 browsers

fuck off dude

>loading any kind of JS or CSS
LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE BLOCKING PAGE RENDERING YOU FUCK!

Should I use domain modeling in my angular components? Not even the docs do it but it's apparently recommended?

Has anyone ever made a backend with laravel?

Will learning Vue.js make me smarter and have a wider perspective on web dev or will it make me dumber and more inclined to take shortcuts and npm install my way through a problem instead of solving it myself?

Assuming you haven't used any other frontend JS framework, then checking one out and learning how to use it is definitely very useful.
It's not going to do your site/app-logic for you. It only opens up new ways, that you can structure your sites code and keep its elements well organized.

It's kind of like asking if Git is an easy shortcut, that makes someone dumber.
It's a tool, takes a moment to learn how to properly use its features, but in the long run you profit from it a lot, so that you can do things you couldn't do before.

It's "stuff the developer probably doesn't know". Like web developers building Bitcoin exchanges without knowing how money words. The business domain is "finance".

This is one of those places where Cloudflare is underrated. It can detect said browser and serve webp only if the user has it. You *could* automate this for every image on your site but damn, that's a lot of fucking around.

>apply to frontend position
>whole interview is them scrutinizing my backend and full stack work
I know they're just trying to justify making a lower offer but seriously getting tired of this shit

why does my npm package published 5 days ago have 102 downloads? there's no documentation or github repo or any other info, is it automated crawlers downloading it?

i had a thing on github that depended on it but only 2 other people knew about it and one of them built it

gad the same, probably some crawlers and npm mirrors fetching every package they can get.

>whole interview is them scrutinizing my backend and full stack work
That's when you tell them "thank you for your time, but you're clearly looking for a different developer.".

When a agency is looking for JQu*ry developers

Attached: 1517870059906.png (240x232, 51K)

> JQu*ry developers
Eewww

Is Drupal a good competence to go for ?
I saw several offers for PHP+Drupal web development and one looks very interesting to me.

Subsidiary unrelated question, I am working on a website right now and it looks alrightish but I have an issue with my CSS, I am using an image as background but for some reason on phones I have a massive white space taking half of the screen, I saw various solutions online like dividing the height by the width times 100 and then using the number as a bottom padding but nothing worked so far everything is set to be responsive and it's my only problem.

Penis

Heheheh weeeeeeelcome back :)

Ayy we're back

I didn't know anyone can just upload whatever they want to the npm package manager. Do the owners of npm moderate/monitor the packages at all?

Has a package ever been removed by moderators?

of course, otherwise people would just upload malware

which they do but at least they do the efford to obscure it first

>tfw images not yet working

"background-size: cover" is probably what you want, together with the image being centered or aligned on some side, depending on what it actually is.

There probably are rules, just like GitHub lets you upload whatever as long as it fits the service they offer.

If I just know the basics of HTML, CSS, and basic JavaScript, how should I approach learning Node JS, NPM, etc.? All this stuff is completely foreign to me. Would "The Complete Web Developer Bootcamp" course at Udemy put me on the right track?

I already used cover no-repeat and whatnot height and width at 100%, etc...

Honestly RTFM, if you already know JS then angular vue and shit have good official docs that are easy enough to follow, don't pay a dime to learn web development with all the free resources available from primary sources.

what's a better name for my cousin's website:
locksmithinlisbon.com
or
locksmithlisbon.com
or something else entirely? being a small business, i also thought it might make sense to put his actual name and maybe surname in there but that would give worse SEO right?

My vote is for locksmithlesbian.com. Very catchy.

Shit I have a few questions now.

What are you attaching the BG image to? The body or HTML tags or some random div?

This. I live in Lisbon and I'd still way prefer this version.

The body of my header.php that I then require on each of my pages, it looks fine on one but has massive blank space at the bottom on the others

I think they will delete your package if it's clearly not a library useful for web, or if you're just parking the package name or whatever.

There's probably rules for what you can and can't upload somewhere in
npmjs.com/policies

is it true that portuguese people understand galician well? i am going there next week

Depends on how complex your sentence will be, for example I can't speak Spanish, in the sense that you and I cannot sit down and have a conversation in Spanish. But if you ask me where the bathroom is, I can totally understand that and reply. Galician is even closer to Portuguese than Spanish, so your chances are high that you'll get by without switching to English a lot.

Learn more of HTML, CSS and JS, more than just the basics.

I don't know anything about Webdev but I need to develop simple a web application that wraps around a CLI program I wrote. Any recommendations on how to get started?

Tell us how it wraps around it. What is your CLI program, what do you intend to make it do?

It's basically a program that performs some heavy scientific calculations by sending a problem to a privileged HPC server. So it needs to be in a web app so others can use it without network permissions. Fortunately, the user doesn't need to upload a ton of data since the program gets most of what it needs itself. It will mostly just be selecting some from pre-selected options with some numerical values entered by the user. This will then be fed to the CLI which will formulate the problem based off of that information, send it to the server, and return the result after it's done computing.

Just use whatever, Python, Node or PHP.
Personally I think Python has the best interfaces to other applications but in the end it doesn't really matter.

Also, for framework recommendations:
Python: Flask or Django
Node: Express
PHP: Laravel

Laravel, really nigga?

To be honest, I've never used it other than checking out some basics. I usually stick to Drupal (which would've been overkill for a beginner) or a completely custom setup.
What's wrong with Laravel?

It's bloated as fuck and relies on a shit ton of external dependencies for even basic functions, going with Symphony is a much better choice in 90% of situations.

Fair enough, I don't think having dependencies is a bad thing by default, especially when the user is a beginner.
But since I have no experience with Laravel I'll trust your judgement on this.

who else has a love hate relationship with front end development?
I recently get into the zurb foundation framework, and I like it, it feels like it was designed for customization.

It also helps to know that websites and html started out as a format for ducuments, like a 'word' file.
Right now we misuse it to create fancy interfaces. If you know that than it becomes ok to use it in a non semantic way.

semantic is hiding the stylization in css
interface design hides the complexity and hackery of css behind css classes
do something complex in css? create a class and put everything behind that class

then classes start to not describe content, but the complexity of css
I think this is the way to go nowadays

youtube.com/watch?v=VlY5CfkL760

What framework should I use for my first time building a site?

What language are you using?
Generic answer would be Vue.js and Node.js but that's if you don't mind full stack Javascript.

for starting out, I think bootstrap is good

Don't use one.

Sound like you'd like the atomic approach.

What portuguese person is going to search for locksmith?

What exactly do people mean when they say they hate websites running JavaScript?

I love how people are so scared of paying 10 bucks like it's just a horrible, unthinkable thing.

always makes me laugh

Attached: 1509317689529.jpg (727x639, 115K)

i could pay your mother, but i do it for free

>It's bloated as fuck and relies on a shit ton of external dependencies for even basic functions, going with Symphony is a much better choice in 90% of situations.
Symphony is actually bigger than Laravel and the latter makes heavy usage of the former's components.

thank you for unclogging the WC. she really needed help. you did it with your bare hands too.
she said you acted like you had autism. next time try to smile and strike a conversation.

They hate when a site needs javascript for basic functionality like logging in or page rendering.

Don't use any framework until you can build a website with HTML/CSS (no frameworks), & Vanilla JS. Once you can do that and understand what's going on under the hood, then and only then should you learn a front-end framework. Otherwise you won't know what the heck is going on behind the scenes.

How do I use polyfills to get html template support in browsers that don't support it natively?

w3c just got btfo by apple, mozilla, google, and microsoft
k e k

why

Do you name your angular modules in plural or singular?

I heard we'd still be using tables for layout if it were up to w3c.

I have a list of items that get sent from a server, when I click on the 'add new item' button, a modal pops up with a form, all in the same page. What's the best way to add the new item into the list? Do I make a new request for the items after the new item gets sent, or do I just simulate it and locally add it?

Attached: contacts-6-list-view.png (1650x1412, 116K)

People will bitch about not making enough at their job, but will spend 3 hours trying to save $5. Effectively pricing in their time at $1.66 per hour.

Another day another grind

ok but seriously, how do i name the site?

I haven't used the native CSS grid before, does it allow me to make responsive layouts without using media queries or do I have to add media queries anyway?

Attached: 1105553.jpg (640x480, 28K)

quick rundown pls?

>w3c wants to push new HTML spec
>apple, google, mozilla and microsoft say that they don't like it
>they want the spec to be changed according to the way they implement shit in browsers
>w3c caves in like a little bitch

this is why we can't have nice things

Attached: 1216033363406.jpg (306x227, 15K)

I tried into backend development and it's so confusing. Im I supposed to develop against external web server (nginx/apache/other) with cgi, fastcgi or something and delegate the TLS proxy to that web server or native web server for that language of what? Is there even some way to do this universally and decide later depending on runtime environment?

tfw dead thread
let's revive it guys

Bootstrap sucks
Jquery is good!

Is there any reason to start with node.js or jquery when there is PHP7 for anything backend related?

i love php

Fuck the innernet, man

DELETE THE WEB

How is this side project going, user?

getting paid yet?

Attached: So_happy_smiling_cat.jpg (1317x1536, 1.38M)

My projects are going well mr. cat. I've not received any income from web development yet but I still remain hopeful. Every day my projects advance and the progress I make strengthens my resolve in my quest to become a strong and influential member of the web development community. I hope your work is similarly going well, mr. cat.

Is Openstack worth getting into or is private cloud a joke?

Why don't people like anime OPs?

How much do people even charge for "make our small company an online presence"?

How do I change click listener border boxes that come up when you add them?

It's the blue border that only appears if you add a click listener, I'm just currently overriding it with a focus border of 2px but it looks like SHIT

what's the point anyway?

>working for free on a project that generates no revenue
What a cuck

Attached: 46a.png (645x729, 97K)

Don't be a cunt

>having to work to survive

*laughs in NEETbux*

Attached: zand.jpg (1140x650, 103K)

I get NEETbux and it's like £10 a day. I absolutely cannot wait to find a job.

What happens if the "simulated" item is added, but somehow didn't go through in the back-end?

>Tfw you unironically enjoy working with WordPress, PHP and jQuery.

What's so good about using other tools when these work perfectly fine for me?

cringe

>w3c shills on wdg
y i k e s

Wordpress/PHP/jq is ok for certain use-cases, especially if you need to make a CMS with a custom theme but for more bespoke solutions it's better to use lower level tools.

Is trying to make an Instagram clone with node.js a good way to learn node?

Attached: 1523666420204.webm (480x856, 1.94M)

working with node is a good way to learn node, yes

I'm trying to integrate a sort of free node bootcamp. But they take people with a good...background and motivation. It would be to show my motivation. Of course, I won't be doing the whole thing before trying to integrate the bootcamp.

Attached: 1509469093020.jpg (269x211, 8K)

Don't forget to take care of your physical and mental well-being anons! It's very important!

Yeah, sounds good. Are you going to implement the filters too?

Also. Don't worry about finding gfs. They mostly suck (your life out of you, your free time, your money and your semen)

I want to start up a platform for advertisers like our boi Zucc. But the social media angle is fruitless in 2018, with so many brands dominating the market now. So how do I squeeze out some beautiful $$$s from advertising opportunities? What kind of people would pay a lot of money for plebeians to have a glimpse of their product?

nope, seems too difficult.

Attached: 1519309361274.jpg (519x533, 94K)

>that webm
cheeky fucker