/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: flt.jpg (480x480, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/sabayonlinux/iso/monthly/
my.mixtape.moe/ogtaak.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Gentoo

I'm going to install it today

Attached: file.png (1920x1200, 1.09M)

Are you already on it?

If you want suggestions, maybe use the sabayon live [ ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/sabayonlinux/iso/monthly/ ] or sysrescuecd as the live you install it from.

What's your take on Antergos?

Had an rsync fail on me because the external drive that I was transferring shit to somehow ran out of space, despite, to my knowledge, having more than enough. Was I wise to "resume" the transfer by just using the exact same rsync command as what failed the first time?

Shouldn't really make anything worse. If in doubt, run it with -c and run a SMART extended test + fsck on the destination drive.

My NOTGNU/android phone seems to have fe80:: ipv6 and some apps trying to use ipv6. That results into timeout because my ISP doesn't support ipv6. My router seems to have no ipv6 settings or atleast i can't find them. All paths such as /proc/sys/net/ipv6 or /proc/net/if_inet6 doesn't exist. ls /lib/modules/kernel/net shows only ipv4 and netfilter. Yet i'm able to ping my phone from pc using ipv6. Questions: is there any need in some router-side support for android to get an ipv6, why ping works (how to figure out what my router actually supports) and how to prevent android from using ipv6 (the only solution i've found works until reconnection to wifi)?

Can't decide between replacing my current Ubuntu step up with NixOS or Void:

NixOS
>Declarative package management is great. Make me feel like I am on the cutting edge.
>Has all the packages I need (that I know of), athough I've read it actually has less than traditional distros.

Void
>Not systemd'd.
>Closer to traditional GNU/Linux distros, so might be easier to troubleshoot down the line.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Any IPv6 address thats in fe80::/10 is link-local. That's used for screaming "Hey, is there a router here?" onto the local network segment. You can't get out to the public internet with them. But you can talk to other things on the same network segment. Anything that supports v6 will give every interface a link-local address, if its on a network that actually supports IPv6 it'll get a publicly-routable address in addition to (not instead of) that address.

But if an interface is up and has nothing but a link-local IPv6, software that claims to support IPv6 ought to be smart enough to know that it doesn't actually have internet connectivity. The kernel knows that, but apparently your apps (or the libraries they use) are too stupid to. Assuming you've tested this and found out the reason they're failing to communicate is, in fact, that they're trying to do IPv6 and failing. Have you actually sniffed some packets and verified that? If that's what's going on then it's a bug in the app.

I want to rsync everything I have permissions to. I basically want to rsync / and everything above / except for the stuff I don't have permissions to

How do I optimize Linux? Can I get better battery life after tweaking the kernel?

if you're interested in maximizing battery life start with powertop

nix package manager is available in void's repo

Powertop - kinda doesn't help. And I've noticed, that different distributions with same software, but different kernels have different power draw...

Test different kernel modules that deal with power, then create a bare minimal kernel with those modules and the ones you need. Not using X doesn't actually improve battery perfomance much from what I've found. I guess less daemons and startup services would help, but again not very much since the CPU usage is very low anyway. Just try using lots of suckless programs and maybe even upgrade the battery, remove half the RAM, get a more efficient HDD or put in an SSD. There's a lot of little tweaks you could do, but I don't imagine you'll get too far.

>maybe even upgrade the battery,
I don't want to change battery in this shit.
>then create a bare minimal kernel with those modules and the ones you need
Okay
>less daemons and startup services would help
So, no system-d rubbish, right?

Install (and configure) TLP or Laptop-Mode-Tools. Powertop helps with application power usage, but it doesn't influence hard disk spin or the built-in laptop mode kernel module, as far as i can remember. Both TLP and LMT do.

Push your brightness down to ~30%, because that is the sweet spot when it comes to efficiency vs power usage.

Different kernels have little to no relevance. Most kernels have everything enabled on them for convenience sake, but whatever you don't use, doesn't get loaded on boot. Some modules do take up their own space, but the difference is minor. However, you can compile your own kernel, and not change the distribution.

Have you tried Slackware?

Well, I want to go as low in power consumption, as stock FagOS was. It was unstable bloated shit, but power efficient.
GNU/Linux is less bloated, but sucks battery really quick.
And on normal laptops - GNU/Linux actually helps to make more battery life.

>But you can talk to other things on the same network segment
Does this require some ipv6 specific software on router? Or it's just kernel?
>if an interface is up and has nothing but a link-local IPv6
It also has local IPv4
I've "tested" that by reading stacktrace from NewPipe (it displays it within the app), it uses OkHttp library that tries to resolve host using ipv6. Also other apps (not using OkHttp AFAIK) failing host resolve/just showing something like "network error". I forgot to mention, this is not consistent, usually it resolves with no problems, this happens like once in an hour and if there is something like reload button in the app - after few attempts it works. The confusing thing here is that i believe there are a lot of people without working ipv6 and NewPipe and OkHttp are popular things so that problem kinda supposed to be figured out and fixed already. It could also be a bug in android ROM, but it's LineageOS, and problem persists through a lot of updates.

How do I enable hardware acceleration on Arch? I've read the wiki, but I don't get it. I'm using intel graphics.

have you tried

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6

>So, no system-d rubbish, right?
I seriously doubt that matters unless you or the Ubuntu maintainers grossly misconfigured it. Systemd being bad is a maymay.

Got pic related at the end of an rsync. Is this something to worry about?

Oh for fucks sake, are we so fucked that I can't upload images? Have a fucking moe link.
my.mixtape.moe/ogtaak.png

No, there doesn't need to be a router present at all for things to get v6 link-local addresses. Like, download an ISO of any distro and install it offline, with no network connection at all. When you're done look at ip addr and you'll see link-locak v6 addresses.

If it's doing it periodically that sounds a lot like the "happy eyeballs" thing. Supposedly intended to use whichever of v4 and v6 is fastest, its main purpose is to really try to prefer v6 DNS wherever possible. I bet something is saying "hmm, I haven't tried this for a whole hour, maybe there's v6 connectivity now, I need to try again so I can prefer v6 as soon as its available!"

> Oh for fucks sake, are we so fucked that I can't upload images?
Apparently... ? Figures cloudflare keeled over or whatever.

> Is this something to worry about?
I can't really see what worries you there, unless you haven't rsynced before and it should have been speedup 1.

Borg is still nicer for repeated upload/backups. Heh.

Guess the same way as on other platforms:
-load the intel drm module in kernel
-install the intel drm driver for xorg
-install the intel dri module for MESA

>nix package manager is available in void's repo
Interesting, although how does it interact with default package? Does it replace it completely or sit side-by-side?

>Have you tried Slackware?
No, and judging from the description, it is not my cup of tea. I like some dependency resolution.

Just install arch or if you can't follow simple steps from wiki, then install anarchy linux.

>Does this require some ipv6 specific software on router? Or it's just kernel?
I mean modules in /lib/modules
You mean on android? Yes, thats removes ipv6 until reconnection to wifi, which happens kinda often. So it's possible that it doesn't help but i don't think thats likely. The problem here is automation.
>No, there doesn't need to be a router present at all for things to get v6 link-local addresses
Yes, got that, but what about talking to other things via IPv6?
>hmm, I haven't tried this for a whole hour, maybe there's v6 connectivity now, I need to try again so I can prefer v6 as soon as its available!
This sound very retarded since timeout is like 30 seconds and it doesn't automatically retry with IPv4 on error nor it does it parallel.

Yeah, that was my first rsync. I don't know what any of the shit that it said at the end meant.

>Yes, got that, but what about talking to other things via IPv6?
Already answered. Link-local can talk to anything on the same network segment (eg plugged into the same switch)
>This sound very retarded
you say that as if this is the first time that retarded problems have been caused by software trying to prefer v6 wherever available. This happens every time software tries that.

So I guess the FBI has taken control of Jow Forums's image servers now.

Well, more precisely what matters is if the related files already were partly at the destination. If they weren't, I'm not sure how you got a speedup of 63ish.

test

I use i3 in dual monitor setup and when I turn off one monitor the workspaces that were on this monitor disappear. It didn't happen before, all workspaces used to automatically move to the active monitor. What can I do?

Why would the FBI leave anything running?

I'd think the cloudflare cloud merely showed how "robust" it is... again.

Guess it will be like the previous r9k drama:
-first posting is back
-then images are allowed for OPs (especially when fast boards get to 1k reply normal threads)
-then later images are allowed for everyone.

Honeypot, obviously.

Install GuixSD

>Link-local can talk to anything on the same network segment
How does this work if router has no idea about ipv6 addresses?
>you say that as if this is the first time that retarded problems have been caused by software trying to prefer v6 wherever available
Well, for me it's first time and kinda want to fix that but have no idea even on which level this should be fixed because this happens in various apps using various libraries. Dunno if i should report it to app developers or LineageOS

Ah good, most of them were.

Don't listen to if you want properly working OS. You can try void, going straight into deep water will reward you nicely.

>Install GuixSD
Look promising, but (1) I'm not a FSF purist - I want functionality more than FSF-Freedom and (2) I want something suitable for production systems, which GuixSD isn't.

>-load the intel drm module in kernel
How can I do that?

Then that explains it. The majority of the work surely was spent on figuring out if the filesystem trees match by ... modification date, was it? Unless you used -c, then it actually compared checksums.

>until reconnect
Did you try setting it to the default one too?

>>How does this work if router has no idea about ipv6 addresses?
There's no router involved at all. The addresses are auto-generated based on the MAC address of the interface.

If you have a self made kernel device drivers-> graphics support -> intel 8xxx etc HD graphics
set it to * or M and direct rendering manager, set it to * or M
Distro supplied binary kernels have these.

If you compiled the HD graphics as module or have a distro supplied binary kernel then load the module with

modprobe i915

This probably doesn't persists across reboots.
>There's no router involved at all. The addresses are auto-generated based on the MAC address of the interface.
So when packets are transferred through the router destination machine is referenced by MAC via some Link layer protocol?

I hate video games

>This probably doesn't persists across reboots.
I can't even change that: it resets back to 0, modify/change times updating.

>I hate video games
But do you hate them as much as does?

Yes, very. Video games suck and linux doesn't need any of them.

I'd actually welcome a kernel that can play Tetris.

Yeah, pretty much. Lets explain this in v4 terms: you have some systems plugged into a switch. No router. You give each of them a static, manually-configured IPv4. Now you try and ping one from another. The machine sends a broadcast packet saying "who has IP 1.2.3.4?". Every machine on the switch hears it. Whichever machine has 1.2.3.4 sends out a packet saying "Hey, that's me!". The switch keeps track of the MAC addresses of these exchanges so when it hears the MAC of one of those machines, it knows which port to send the packet out. (this is how a switch sends packets only to their destination, as opposed to the hubs we had twenty years ago, which sent every packet to every port) So now you have two machines who can talk IPv4 with each other in the absence of a router.

IPv6 means you don't need to statically configure addresses, the OS gives every interface a link-local address right off the bat. (these exist in IPv4 but you rarely see them, since unlike in v6 an interface can only have one address) So plug IPv6 machines into a switch and they can talk to each other with no router. You only need one of those to go out to other networks or to the internet.

Most consumer wireless-gateway boxes just bridge the wireless interface onto their switch ports. The wireless interface acts just an ethernet port without a wire. Its on the same network segment and subnet and everything. That doesn't have to be the case, if you set up your own machine and run hostapd on it you can give wireless a separate subnet and segment things however, but consumer routers don't do that, because most home networks want everything, wired and wireless, to talk to each other. The routing stack never gets involved at all, it just sends the wireless local-network traffic on like a switch.

disable it on xrandr you stupid motherfucker

Why are video games so shit? Because they're shit.

>le linux is a kernel maymay
ebin :DDDDD

Thanks, user! It's working!

Thanks, now i understand protocol better. Still have no idea about where is the problem and how it wasn't reported & fixed yet though.

When I turn it off, I mean I do it in xrandr, not just unplug it.
Why be this hostile though?

How do I set a lower-than-current resolution using xorg/xrandr?
Right now when I do it it changes the resolution, but it doesn't respect aspect ratios so I get letterboxing, and the entire screen is overcropped like you'd get a on a TV, so it's drawing a bunch of stuff below where the screen actually ends
xrandr --size heightxwidth is what I'm using right now and it's not working right

>He's over the age of 18 and still plays video games

>Why are video games so shit?
Modern games?

Consider the following timeline:

>Apple releases the iPhone
>Huge success; Google releases Android to copy and stop Apple.
>Both mobile OS's have App Stores.
>Concurrently, Facebook games become huge.
>Both are filled with """""free"""""/low-cost games that make money by getting whales to pay for mircotransactions, and, eventually, loot boxes.
>EA/Bizzard-Activision/Ubisoft/etc. copy them to maximize profits.

Additionally, in the West, game developers are under delusion that they are """""artists""""" and as such, will often shove in their political and social beliefs where they don't belong, hoping for universal praise and acknowledgement as true avant-guard artistes pushing the boundaries (even when it's not). Hence they react with such great sound and fury when their audience rejects their bullshit.

Japanese games, for the most part, have no political axe to grind; so instead they are pure pandering and marketing. Thus, 99% of all JP games are repetitive and recycled animu waifu bait, with little purpose beyond getting the hikikomoris and gaijin NEETs to buy their ecosystem of mech-crap. It's okay when you're in high school, but anybody buying that shit after 30 should just speed things along and commit soduku already.

tl;dr: smartphones and social media ruined gaming, just like they ruined everything else in modern society. The lack of 'gaems' on GNU/Linux (+BSD) is a feature, not a bug.

Why does the Japanese text say "Computer homo"?

>The lack of 'gaems' on GNU/Linux (+BSD) is a feature, not a bug.
I thought Battle for Wesnoth was supposed to be pretty good though

Do you imply it isn't a kernel?

How do i make image of disk for backup?

Greetings. After a year of using a mac which was gifted me, I had thought myself better than and more productive than Linux users. But, this Friday night I whipped out my old thinkpad for some experimentation, and what proceeded is truly life changing.

I was burnt after installing Ubuntu a month ago, the system was slow and buggy. But, after installing the Manjero flavour of Linux with bspwm I can confirm that none of this is a meme.

The picture is me with my glorious resurrected thinkpad x220 with Manjaro Linux. I put my feet upon my macbook as that is all is good for now. I am finally free.

Attached: return_of_the_king.jpg (4640x3480, 2.64M)

>free
Linux is nonfree software tho. If you want to be free, get Linux-libre.

it's pretty amazing that the only way to boot uefi is to use a 2 year old 2 gigabyte live cd--and if you want modern filesystem support you have to compile them in that environment

no wonder it's taken me 5 days to get gentoo running experimental 17.1 and systemd -- all that compilation time adds up
use the powersave cpu frequency govenor--which should be already a module and usable as is and you can enable it with a command. probably a setting in gnome as well
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=disk.dd status=progress
or use something like clonezilla

Why are linux gamers so pathetic?

Is there a way to save certain powertop tunables? I can't just run --auto-tune because it overrides power control on my discrete gpu, which breaks bumblebee and I have to reboot the whole fuckin thing to get it to work again.

Fuck off retard

>I replaced Ubuntu with Manjaro and think I've broken the shackles
You're still relying on somebody to do all the work for you, you're no better off than if you were still on OSX.
You won't be free from a shit OS until you understand what you're doing, and swapping one brainless distro for another has done you no service.

>Playing childrens entertainment on an adult operating system

I either emulate the game through WINE or just play it on a windows VM with GPU passthrough.
I'm sorry you've become so bitter as to not enjoy digital interactive media

Yeah I bet you look very mature playing your bing bing wahoos on your nintendo 64 emulator

I've been told those don't count. you're not gaming on windows if you use passthrough and wine is not an emulator so idk you're pretty much on windows

Attached: Screenshot from 2017-12-12 19-10-39.png (650x575, 317K)

Again, I'm sorry you've lost all joy in your life.

I mean, sure. It's technically windows. It's compatibility layers or downright virtualization. But I don't have to reboot my computer or do anything funky to make it work, I just click a button and boom, I've got a game without having to play around with windows the other 99% of the time I'm not.
Linux gaming will always be dead because there's an ever shrinking reason to bother, we can just emulate the layers needed from other OS's and run it on top of that.

considering that games are almost all made on one development platform or another
would just need that platform to provide support to linux and all the software written for it will work. it's about money, and if the platforms see linux as profitable they will support it

more marketshare more potential customers

The main issue is that winiggers and osucks have platform-specific library bindings, so it becomes a development headache to bother. 95% of the market is on one of them so it doesn't make sense to try and work around that.

dd

Pay no mind to those neo-elitists. They don't know when it's appropriate and when it isn't.
You've taken a good first step.

I think he's just happy that modern software CAN run on his old laptop.

>setup old computer as file server/soulseek+torrent box/rysync to my external backups

man it feels so good to be able to ofload all that stuff to a computer I'm not actively using. I wish I could afford an actual server and not just my old laptop with an external hdd plugged in.

Also does anyone here have experience with unraid? Is it worth buying a license? I have about 15 hdd's of various sizes I'd love to use.

>unraid
nah
just do it yourself, sounds like you already have a working knowledge to do it

Can I get help with my script to display some monitors on my bar? Everything appears but my battery.

Attached: 2018-04-14-004948_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 47K)

Being an indecisive piece of shit is a huge pain.
>can't decide on the distro (running openSUSE right now, but it kind of sucks)
>can't decide on the DE

Attached: 1396217080612.png (792x792, 830K)

Anyone have experience with putting GNU/Linux on tablets? My laptop gets too hot to comfortably use in bed, so i'm looking for a cheap tablet for reading pdfs and light web browsing at night. Any good recommendations from someone who has traveled this path before?

void + i3 is the thinking mans desktop

i3 is nice and comfy, but I want a full DE

I'm very new to linux

I'm using latest xubuntu and whenever I hibernate the login screen takes FOREVER to show up, around ten seconds. What causes this?

when hibernating the computer writes the RAM to your hard drive and then powers off, so you probably have a slow hard drive or are currently using a lot of RAM. Try using sleep instead which keeps the ram powered up and should resume instantly.

this

antergos and manjaro have no good reason to exist

Absolutely abysmal battery life in Ubuntu.
This is another reason why this won't ever be acceptable OS for majority of people.

Windows 10 I have 6-7 hours of battery.
In Ubuntu 3-4 hours.

While doing the exact same shit which is browsing Jow Forums

>i3 is nice and comfy, but I want a full DE
For me its a toss up between xfce and MATE. Xfce has the awesome whisker menu while MATE has Caja as its file manager, which is so much nicer than Thunar.

Sorry if I can't solve you indecision.