Good laptops for around/under 300£?

Good laptops for around/under 300£?
Im looking to get a thinkpad x230 but are there better choices?

Attached: download.jpg (241x209, 7K)

Go for the ThinkPad. Put Xubuntu on it. Sorted bruv.

>thinkpad x230
Fuck that unless you can replace the awful keyboard.
>Ubuntu
Ew. Why not just Debian with XFCE?

Which thinkpad has a good keyboard?

imo lubuntu is better plus it seems easier to just use openbox or i3

because debian is anal

refurbished elitebook

Most of the ones before the X230 and T430.

>because debian is anal
At least it doesn't spy on you.

are we back yet or what

Consider the Latitude E6330, it is a similarly spec'd Ivy Bridge machine.
The nice part about Latitudes are parts like WLAN and WWAN cards are not whitelisted or proprietary, so it's a snap to put an Intel AC7260 or a Broadcom BCM4352 WLAN card in, so that you can have AC wireless.

Go to ebay, punch in "E6330 i7", sort by price and shipping, narrow the field to UK only, you've got some good choices, from fixer uppers, to ready to go out of the box.

for 300 arabic dollars you can get an x240, same performance but better battery life, same IPS screen, a better backlit keyboard and people won't point and laugh at you if you use it in public.

Also ignore MUH KLASSIK KEYBOARD fags, it's true that the classic keyboard is nice but the modern ones are still better than the ones on any normalfag laptop, AND most of them are backlit.

Thanks for your recommendation user, will look into it!

Could you upgrade it? Eg the storage, cpu and ram?

it takes regular 7mm drives as well as SSDs. RAM can be upgraded too, but unlike the x230 it has only 1 slot. The price to pay for having a laptop way slimmer than the previous gen.

Thinkpad x220

you can't upgrade CPUs on any memepad since the xx20 gen if I remember correctly. The difference between a mobile i5 and a mobile i7 is almost none so there's no point to it really.

>it takes regular 7mm drives
That's cancerous, 9mm HDDs or GTFO

the last memepads that took 9mm drives were the t420 officially and the x220 unoficcially (you have to push hard but it fits in the end). The x230 can take them in theory as well but you have to literally dremel the case which is kind of hardcore. The T430 (and all other memepads with removable optical drives) can take one via HDD caddy, but it's not ideal.

Don't listen to that bullshit, the thinkpad chiclet keyboard is still way better than average.

People who say everything but the 7-row keyboard is shit are just some die hard classic thinkpad fans.

>doesn't spy
>systemd
choose one

FPB-
>xubuntu
eew. Make it Debian and it was FPBP

eh, Dedian is only worth it when setting up a server. *buntu is better for every day use, not being autistic with permissions and nonfree stuff and all.

They're very extensible machines.
The optical bay is quick changeable to a HDD caddy, 2 extra USB 3.0 ports, or a battery.
The E-Port dock connector can accept an external battery slice, as well as a legacy port adapter.
They are pre wired for WWAN cards, with the SIM slot under the battery.
If you get one with the contactless smartcard reader in the palmrest, you can use the NFC from your phone to log in to windows.

Op here
I actually use kubuntu on my laptop that just broke down today. *Buntu Imo is quite good for everyday use

you can replace the keyboard with the one of the x220. Some Fn-Keys won't work i suppose, but that's it. If you need USB 3.0 that's your only option mate.

And if you can work with the added bulk of a 14" laptop, the E6430s are a vastly superior machine.

AFAIK the only botnetty thing that's on the flavored versions is a hardware poll? Even on the vanilla one you can just switch that amazon crap off

There is a Debian port without systemd.