/mg/ - Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
linfo.org/unix_philosophy.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros

>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS, Minix3, Genode
>Meme minimal
Crux, Void, GuixSD, FreeBSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Arch Linux, Debian (netinst)

>Useful links
Distro list pastebin: pastebin.com/XBTXuip5
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: bitch.jpg (1080x1350, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BhguQ9DFqFI/?taken-by=nyasharisha
github.com/sulami/wm/tree/master/src
vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3515
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/SECURITY.md
schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/thoughts_on_the.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Her minimal belly.
instagram.com/p/BhguQ9DFqFI/?taken-by=nyasharisha

Text editors compared

Attached: editors.png (242x147, 6K)

which one is minimal heheheheh

>Moe любимoe хoбби этo тpaтить кyчy дeнeг нa cвoё тeлo и вce paвнo eгo нeнaвидeть.
oh well

original op here
r u russian?
wat is she sayin

>r u russian?
yes
>wat is she sayin
she says that she doesn't like her body

What options / load did you use to test them with?

What is a minimalist compositor for Wayland?

sway, i guess

>Debian (netinst)

I thought netinst was a just way to install linux by downloading most of it over the internet?

Is there any Openbox style compositor for Wayland? I don't like tiling WMs.

make your own fagget github.com/sulami/wm/tree/master/src

its fairly easy.

No command line options, and no config customizations. Opened a small file and made a couple edits. I had htop running in a second TTY to get the numbers.
I rebooted after each test and recording to be absolutely sure i'd get a clean result (dunno if anything would have changed, but this satisfied my autism)
The reason for e3's rediculously low (lower than ed) values is because it's written in assembly.
All tested on Void Linux with Glibc

OpenBSD is not minimal

Attached: fail.jpg (500x350, 66K)

that is what a netisnt image does
it's the "minimalist" alternative to downloading the 4.7GB installation image with gigabytes of software you won't install (if you want a minimalist system)

This, it fulfills a function

Zi with Perl scripting when?

Damn

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

The only meme here is your stale copypasta.

>OpenBSD is a meme
You aren't on a devsite. It's a meme if you're putting it on your laptop/desktop.
>Security / default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
You're retarded. It's called an implementation for a reason; this is server software. OpenBSD isn't OpenSolaris, take your ZFS and get fucked. Its power, like any BSD, is being able to do amazing shit with relatively cheap servers.
>Sustainability
>A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
Having to downsize by one server in a cluster isn't "almost shutting down", you re-re.
>"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?
This isn't about your laptop, you sshlet, ppplet, uucplet fucking tool

TFW no haskell cutie gf

OpenBSD makes a great desktop OS, the devs dogfood it.

Not him but he is right.

t. him

But I am not, cant you accept people not liking your hipster os?

Not when they agree with shitty bait

But is not you hipster loving cuck

Is too
>hurr everything i dont liek iz 4 hipsters
ebin

Anything NOT Apple is not minimalism

You are the cocksucking hipster who doesnt like other opinions
And a shitposter too

fuuuck, that means she's going to get a surgery or two on her tits paid by her sugar daddies
better pray to God that her surgeries are successful.

Sure thing buddy

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

How does everybody feel about NixOS from a minimalism standpoint?

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (1183x1024, 88K)

Can I have USE flags?

Am I doing good? I made screenshot yesterday, when Jow Forums didn't work.

Attached: faceslim-saved-image-Apr13,2018112414PM.png (1366x768, 161K)

>This isn't about your laptop, you sshlet, ppplet, uucplet fucking tool
serious question: why is standards-purism of userland components relevant to servers? From a sysadmin perspective I would only see it as a nuisance.

If GUIXSD is considered minimal, then so should NixOS
Literally the only difference is a Guile Scheme frontend to Nix, No-systemd, and fully libre packages.

Minimalism is a way of life, it is the way you dress, the way you organize your room. It is a way to live your life.

Daily reminder that systemd is more minimal than openrc
systemd minimizes boot times with parallelization as a core feature
openrc has parallelization "in development" and is disabled by default, furthermore it is buggy
runit is the only sane alternative to systemd

bad picture

>Using a Window Manager or even X for that matter
>minimal
try again.

i-is this better? uwu
>systemd
there's your answer
In my experience, systemd replacements in general are far more resource-efficient, and I haven't even run into the journald issues that other people have. Not to mention how much more minimal they are in terms of LoC.
I will agree that runit is great tho. So comfy on Void, ^_^
>this is server software
>take your ZFS and get fucked
pick one and only one
OMG I can't wait for Zi, OwO!!
No, Apple a bloat! BLOAT!
>TFW no haskell cutie bf
ftfy

Attached: meowlennyboy.jpg (480x480, 28K)

>runit.c has only 330 lines of code
Pretty impressive.

>emacs
>113M
ahahahaha

>>systemd
>there's your answer
Then how come Arch and Debian is there?

Not my choice. That was original OP who re-added those

>Fat basement dweller wanna be next minecraft billionaire posting photo of girls named as "bitch" because at best he can get a black women.
KYS

As I mentioned yesterday, I was looking for Emacs-analogue proper, self-extensible Editors, meaning editors capable of editing more general files as basic plain-text files (directories, RTFs, manipulating repositories,..). I did some digging regarding possible Editors on Wikipedia. If I disregard all irrelevant text editors (proprietary, unavailable on Linux, dead or close to,...) and then select only those which fit a very, VERY lax definition of "self-extensible", I am left with a total of 13 editors: Acme, Atom, gedit, GNU Emacs, jEdit, Komodo Edit, Leo,mg, SciTE, Spacemacs, Textadept, Vim and Yi

Of these, the following feature an add-on/plugin kind of model and generally have from what I can gather a very explicit focus on text editing or IDE work: gedit, jEdit, Komodo Edit, SciTE, Leo.
Apart from these (as far as I can tell) superficially extensible editors, there are the more likely candidates for proper *editors.

>GNU Emacs and Spacemacs (representative for the cornucopia of *macsen)
>mg
Portable, "broadly" Emacs-compatible Public Domain implementation with a focus onn being small and fast with known limitations
>Yi
From what I can gather essentially an Emacs written in Haskell. A quick look at it suggest that there is little to no limitation to
creating modes, so I do not see why this editor could be not Emacs-isomorphic.
>Acme
From what I understand it merely externalizes it's scripting by interfacing well with the OS with all practical differences that makes.
>Atom
Something something JavaScript. I must admit I never really cared for it, and giving it a few minutes of looking, I can't really
say to what extent one can truly mess with it.
>Textadept
Lua-based, self-proclaimed minimal.
>Vim
Extensible with vimscript, Lua, Perl, Python, Racket, Ruby and
Tcl. If memory serves me well, it is not uncommon for Vim to have an
analogue feature to every major Emacs feature as a side effect of the Editor war.

Attached: 032_6e1ra.jpg (1124x1600, 322K)

Now, what accounts as "minimal" for an Editor that is supposed to be more than a text editor and IDE?

Sort of. Debian netinst also leaves you with a minimal distro to build off of. I set mine up last night, forgot that you had to set up sudo and all that stuff with the netinst. LaTeX also took up like 3% of my root directory :(

>it is not uncommon for Vim to have an
>analogue feature to every major Emacs feature as a side effect of the Editor war.
What's the vim version of org-mode?

You skip root

never used it, but yes there are even several I think.
VimOrganizer for example

>VimOrganizer for example
Can it have real spreadsheets with real calculations in it?

Alpine ist pretty neat but I'd never put it on a desktop since I value my time

SystemD is a piece of shit, it clogs the package manager for nothing, I had to replace it with Upstart on Debian because I couldnt take it anymore.

I am actually VimOutliner now vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3515
I tried VOoM (Vim Outliner of Markups) but it requires to much python bloat.

Can we have a IRC channel?

Preferably on Rizon please

We had but it was inactive

You can thank the competition between two channels for that. It is just a matter of deciding for the Rizon one and linking it in the OP, everyone will follow.

original op here, irc is bloat.
talking in real life is more minimal

Your life is bloat

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Is NetBSD considered minimal? Never see info about it in OP.

Is the most minimal of the BSDs, but usable is another story. No BSD is really minimal though, they all are build according what is called a base system.

>install alpine
>try to read a manpage
>can't
>install manpages
>pulls GNU shit
>uninstall alpine
>feel trolled
Fuck you

Are you the same guy?

Congratulations. You're the one millions guy who fell for the Alpine meme. Here's your price: *laughs*

>Having to read manpages
Alpine is not for you

What is the best technology to be minimal with respect to body hair? Epilator? Waxing?
Also what is the most minimal programming socks? owo

Where did the GNU hurt your fee fees?

Fire

Kill yourself, reincarnate as grill.

no. Im middle guy
other two are from a guy called Jow Forums

Remove it once for all with lasers.

>he doesn't read manpages

I don't need to

Yeah Alpine seems quite impractical for a desktop, but for any server or router install, it still seems like a great choice

>3DPD
>minimal

>BSD
>minimal

Hi guys, I updated the alternatives to bloatware list and added a new guide on security if you want to check github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/SECURITY.md

Also I stomped on an interesting article on qmail and security schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/thoughts_on_the.html

What do you do on a Saturday night if not read manuals for software you haven't used?

Jerk off and cry myself to sleep, what else should I do?

Rad manuals

>sane minimal
>arch and not void
Haha nice one

>Arch
>sane anything

>man pages
fucking bloat
babie needs his manpagie hahahahah
get out bloatnigger

I like PKGbuild format, that’s the only attractive thing about Arch for me. Nothing else is sane, it’s a weird mix of DIY and “let us handle that.”

Void’s templates aren’t bad either but I don’t like the inability to arbitrarily files, they need to end in tar.gz or whatever. Also all of the templates I tried were broken and wouldn’t build.

Trying to be constructive here rather than meme it to death.

Attached: 69A176E6-18EF-451A-BE50-107F57C5374D.jpg (1600x1066, 303K)

Started using a lot of suckless softwares with Void Linux on my shitty laptop, everything is butter smooth but it's a pain to configure everything as i don't know to code with C. You must be autistic to use dwm/surf if you have a good computer.
I love surf know, it's so fast and smooth when scolling on my laptop compared to other browser (firefox, chromium and qutebrowser).

>not void
hipster trash spic devs
kek

what’s wrong with manpages? It’s a great way to understand how to use software.

*but I dislike the inability to arbitrarily fetch files.

We are approaching levels of fagotry that shouldn't be possible

Hey guys, I figured this might be a good place to post although I'm probably going to get laughed out of the thread.

I built my desktop in 2012 and have had Win7 Ultimate running on it for 6 years now going strong. Recently I looked into upgrading to Win10, but running it on a test laptop really showed just how bloated and slow it really is. I mean for fuck's sake, explorer takes like 10 seconds to even come up, and I was using the LTSB. Not to mention all the search indexing, windows updates, and other shit that constantly runs in the background that you can't shut off.

So then I looked into doing a clean slate with Win7 again, but my tiny SSD can't handle the huge footprint. Then I heard about Windows 7 Embedded Edition, which only has a 6gb footprint. Has anyone tried it? Can you put it on a desktop? Are there other things missing from it that make it not worth it?

Basically I'm just kinda stuck in a rut and I want a good minimal version of Windows where I can turn off all the bullshit and just continue my work. If anyone knows of a way to do this on Windows 10 LTSB I'm all ears, but I kept disabling processes then Windows 10 would turn them back on.

Attached: 00000000001.jpg (409x511, 99K)

forget the fetch like a retard

Attached: 2018-04-14-235915_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 71K)

FUCKING BLOAT NIGGER
WHY DO YOU LIKE FUCKING BLOAT. MAN PAGES ARE FUCKING BLOAT. GET THE FUCK OUT, HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Stay on Windows 7 until it's no longer supported for security and then you can migrate to Debian kde to have a similar experience without dealing with botnet.
We are at the point were even normies are trying to escape the bloat of W10