Maintaining a void install?

I just switched from arch to this. I dig it. But how much work is it to keep this from becoming a steaming pile of shit? Is it prone to breaking during updates? Should i go back before i get too hooked?

Attached: 1189C928-F599-4956-8B5C-6E295D5A62F2.png (1200x989, 73K)

works on my machine, unironically

Why are you morons installing these meme distros? This shit is literally the same as every other major distro except it likely has another KevinNet built in.

You just have to read the xbps page on the void wiki to have the list of the important commands (update the system, reconfigure, downgrade a package if needed, clean the cache).
Do not hesitate to check the void forum or ask on irc your problems, people are very friendly and the answers are fast.
As there is no aur on void, the package management in void is cleaner than on arch.
It can break during update but from my experience it breaks far less than on arch.

I've only ever had update breakage on Debian, and that was probably more of an upstream GNOME/GTK issue than anything.

Arch is stable, Void is stable.

Void is actually way different.
>runit instead of systemd
>more minimal than arch, debian, gentoo, etc.
>all packages in the repos are compiled with libressl by default instead of openssl, this is both superior and saves the user a lot of work if he wanted libressl compared to other distros

It's one of the most BSD-like distros. Only issue with it is that it ships non-free blobs, but if you don't care about software freedom and you do care about your wireless card working, this could be seen as a positive.

>Void is actually way different.
>lists shit you can do on every other distro within 15 min time span
Ok retard.

Changing the init system is sloppy and non-trivial. It is the single biggest reason to choose one distro over another.

>doing things a slower way out of stubbornness
What is wrong with you?

>Changing the init system is sloppy and non-trivial
If you have single digit IQ maybe.

void is one of the few distros that offer musl systems

I am not speaking from experience, though. Haven't you seen that article that compares replacing an init system to slowly replacing every part of a bicycle? I think it was about Devuan.

>he doesn't know

Attached: DYW10eaWkAAm-o2.jpg (1024x761, 90K)

have fun recompiling all you packages to remove the dependencies on systemd!

>installing potentially malware infested OS instead of spending max 1 day configuring regular distro to suit your personal needs
Enjoy your KevinNet.

It's free software. What's the problem? Also, I thought the Kevin meme was specific to Solus. Aren't you trying too hard to fit in?

xbps is comfy

>purposely ignoring every point I've made
Wouldn't expect anything else from a retard like you. Also why are you shilling this garbage so hard? Are you the creator ineptly trying to build a botnet?

I'm not shilling it, I didn't even make this thread. I used Void for a few months and then moved on to GuixSD due to the non-free blobs issue.

What points did I ignore?

>potential malware
This is why I said it's free software.

>instead of spending max 1 day...
If you don't have to spend the extra time (assuming you even could properly replace systemd), why would you? Consider the fact that you're already considering using this other distro for other reasons anyway.

>doesn't have time to replace init system
>has time to code review entire distro
lmao fucking kill yourself

Attached: 1520688831721.gif (800x786, 844K)

Anyone can audit the code. I don't have to do it. I can't program anyway. Also, please stop the ad hom. I wasn't going to say anything, but you kept doing it. It just makes us both look worse.

>babby realises that any distro can replicate any other distro with sufficient effort
The entire reason distros exist is to make readily available certain configurations in a shape where the user does not need to manually ensure they work and maintain them. Otherwise, almost everything can always be changed to imitate a different distro - except if you do this, instead of having professional autists maintain everything for you, you have to keep everything together by yourself. (I'm not speaking about the really meme ones like GuixSD or NixOS, as I have no idea how they work, but you can probably switch package managers and then proceed as usual with them too.)

So if there's a distro available that is already configured the way you want, why would you take a DIFFERENT configuration that doesn't suit you and then force it to match the one you want? Unless you have serious issues with the project maintaining your distro (such as the ponyfags meme I guess). The only excuse to do something like this is to use LFS, but that's mainly intended as a learning experience.

maybe they don't want 1 million lines of C code (full of proven vulns, just look at systemd TOCTOU vulns or systemd-resolved remote code execution) for a fucking init system

good luck replacing openssl on anything but gentoo

>xbps is comfy
Question: what separates it the other package mangers, other than have tens of different commands?

Runint is cool and though, and LibreSSL is interesting.

I'm setting it up within 20 minutes now(clean iso, without any de). First time I needed around 40-50 minutes, because I haven't know what I was doing.
It haven't broken for me for my entire time of usage(6 months). Also I haven't heard from anyone who has broken Void because if some sort of update.
Just try it. It's good distro to learn linux and is overall amazing.

Works great on my Raspberry Pi 2.

Attached: Screenshot_20180414_061856.png (1920x1080, 196K)

>what separates it the other package mangers
Nothing, it's just yet another re-skinned apt.

Anyone CAN audit the code, but has anyone done it?

it's closer to pacman, really

>separate commands for every little thing so you either need a ton of aliases or you have to retype the entire name every time instead of one argument
it's closer to shit, really

I don't like it either to be honest

And recreating init scripts for every service. Difficult? Not really. Time consuming? Yes.

Two years with it and nothing broke, ever. I also update once in a few months at times. It's all good when you don't have braindead maintainers.

>It's one of the most BSD-like distros
this actually makes me want to try it out

Not a big fan of xbps. The syntax/methods for making packages is pretty ugly and non-intutive. I'll take Slackware's bash script and makepkg any day.

it's not BSD-like at all

Nah, it's one of those Linux distros that don't break by themselves.

While you are at it, you can start maintaining a couple of apps.

Attached: 15235637120480-b.jpg (640x427, 59K)

I picked up void as my first distro, is xbps really set apart from other package managers or are they all kind of the same?

I like how it works with dependencies and the fact that it allows to install directly into chroot.

One feature I'm eagerly awaiting is "virtual packages" which will allow me to remove or change dependencies I don't like from the command line.

Also, `xbps-src` is fantastic.

Apt and dpkg are a bit of a mess, but they still work well. I haven't tried anything else.

>Also, `xbps-src` is fantastic.
How so, compared to other systems where you compile from source?

>How so
Prebuilt templates are pretty good. In most cases you need close to 0 manual tinkering to make something work.
And it allows to commit to the main repo with no extra fuss.

I'd say that for me personally it was a lot easier (so much that I actually maintain 3 small packages) that gentoo's variant.

In essence you have a local copy of `void-packages` repo with setup similar to chroot. You create template with dependencies/make dependencies/hostmake dependencies and it builds everything, providing you with the ready to install package in your local repo. You don't need to install any of the dependencies into your actual machine.

My main gripe is that patches are -p0 by default.

just get one of the wrappers out there.

What do you do with you are pi?

grab my (you) funny 4channer

Network File Server

Attached: Screenshot_20180414_154629.png (1920x1080, 75K)