Using electron to make desktop programs

>using electron to make desktop programs
Soyscript needs to die.

Attached: 1523165573812-g.png (204x247, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rootcoma/cclife
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>hit ctl+r while looking at web browser
>other program is actually in focus
>it's your instant messenger!
>entire thing refreshes

Attached: wtf.png (954x1044, 13K)

What do you use then

Literally anything that isn't a glorified webbrowser

curses interface like any self-respecting human bean

Attached: spooky.gif (537x309, 1.21M)

Electron is fucking comfy.
Many companies need pc software that they can produce fast and for multiple platforms, i agree it can be a fucking waste, but Im not breaking my head doing weeks C++qt or whatever when I can just shit some viable product in a couple of days.

dot net for windows, literally every windows machine has the framework and the apps are fast and a few kilobytes.

for linux ... who cares about that shit. lol

Is that windows forms? I know how to make windows forms using vb and c++ but I was never sure if it was called .net or what. It's very easy to do and seems to be an actual desktop application instead of an instanced web browser. Surprised it's not more popular. You can even use the same exact application but like in a web browser if you want to host it online, pretty cool. Learned it in community college.

>tfw stuck in a job as a "fullstack" javascript developer
>tfw scared to leave because it was the only thing I could get out of school and all of my "professional" experience is in this
I want to get a comfy job working with embedded systems but nobody would ever hire me for that when I don't have any work experience in it.

Attached: anime girl looking up.jpg (736x736, 183K)

>releasing absolute garbage
>but at least it was made fast!!!

Work on an open source project and /or side project.

>Not using F5

>stuck as a js developer
Didn't you school let you choose what to specialize in?

First to the market wins.

>making the hentai games you can't resist to play

wut

What is that?

No reverse image search...

Yep that's how it works in the real world
Nobody can afford for you to sit there nitpicking stuff that doesn't matter for $30/hr

Conways game of life
github.com/rootcoma/cclife

My school got rid of specialized tracks right before I was due to choose one because they were too overcrowded so I just ended up taking introductory classes in a bunch of topics.
I'm not creative enough to come up with a good side project myself, user!

Attached: 1519952086081.jpg (673x765, 95K)

Winforms are actually pretty good for desktop LOB applications and such. You can make quite complex, if a little ugly looking UIs with it. The web bit you were referring to is ASP web forms, which is really just terrible. Although honestly it's only as bad as all the other web frameworks out there.

WPF is a newer and far better UI system, which is as easy to use as winforms and as powerful as UI creation with HTML, albeit it's lacking something like CSS. Nobody uses it though. It was released around a time when Microsoft didn't know what they wanted to do, so the technology was never marketed hard.

I'm hoping that Blazor saves us from the nightmare of cross platform UI development. Things are looking hopeful.

What is your degree? Is it a generic CS degree or does it say webdev? It the former, nobody will bother checking your course load so just learn by yourself and then apply

needs more

Attached: qtchan_now.png (1392x952, 299K)

>for linux ... who cares about that shit. lol
absolute state of nu-Jow Forums
This place keeps getting worse and worse.

Best girl ever

It doesn't have to be a unique or useful project. You only need something that can display your skills with a certain language/library/framework/paradigm.

>he has a keyboard with a function row

Attached: domes.jpg (1639x926, 886K)

> he has a keyboard
hey gramps, touchscreens are a thing

I have a phone but no plan for it and only use it for clover on wifi, music on the train, and as a pocket watch. I spend just about every waking moment on my desktop. Touchscreens suck compared to decent peripherals.

The actual UI creation part of WPF is nowhere near as easy to use as Winforms. Creating UIs in WPF is much closer to creating them on a webpage, which sucks. They do look prettier, though.

>Not having programmable keyboard

Attached: keyboard.jpg (5184x3456, 708K)

In my work (hardcore embedded) we have looked for developpers with experience in nodejs and electron to help us develop the host side. Look for domething like that and try to involve yourslef in the rest of the work

Winforms is only easier if all you're doing is wiring some buttons to methods and displaying things in listboxes and textboxes. Doing anything close to what WPF can do requires building your own user controls and overriding Paint on existing controls that you inherit from. It works, but boy what a pain in the ass, and it's even harder to make the UI look reasonably good.
With WPF you're basically doing the same thing, but with a far more capable base of controls under you, in a system where composing controls is effortless, and where basic features like observability are taken seriously.

Electron is fucking soy. Every app made in Electron is a diva.