Lets talk about hifi / audio / audiophile stuff

Do you have HiFi stereo setup?
What amp do you use?
What speakers do you use?
Are you into vintage gear?

Attached: hifi.jpg (1920x1224, 1.5M)

Where can I buy speaker part? Not used

>audiophile stuff

Attached: audiophile rocks.jpg (1280x720, 121K)

What part of the world?
In general, drive units can be a side business for general AVs stores or those that sell pro audio parts.

I'm a leaf, on internet.

Kek, what are these meant to do?

Rotel RA-05, Symdex Audio floor standing speakers. Generic cabling, generic CD player.

The same thing as energy crystals; fuck all.

Not a leaf.
I know Solen.
Their catalog is smaller than that of Madisound, and especially Parts Express.

You missed out.
Bob Reimer at Creative Sound Solutions used to bundle Parts Express orders in with his own commercial shipments, but he sold CSS to some Americans just last year.

thanks

Marantz pm5004
Pioneer pl-514x
Mission 760i

Probably upgrading the speakers when I'm moving this summer

Just buy a bluetooth speaker

yes, I have a hifi stereo setup.
lately I just listen to music, i don't come here much anymore to seek approval, maybe just to play around a bit with you guys.
love horns, love pass labs gear, love the ease of digital music. long live stereo

I just have the setup I use with my PC, nothing too special.
NAD C326 BEE amp
Monitor Audio Bronze BX2, BK Electronics Gemini II sub
No particular interest in vintage gear, honestly since I bought my current setup I have been content and happy with my audio.

> Do you have HiFi stereo setup?
Yes
>What amp do you use?
DENON 4800X
>What speakers do you use?
Wharfedale series 2, 7.1 setup
>Are you into vintage gear?
No, i prefer the best in class quality on a poverty budget

>Do you have HiFi stereo setup?
Barely
>What amp do you use?
Marantz 2220, I picked it up ~5 years ago for $100 with the faceplate clear plastic a bit damaged (Not my pic). Sitting in my """home theatre""" setup, aka the cheapest 40" 1080p TV I could find before crap 4k took over the low end market and an Xbone/chromecast. Everything HDMI goes to the TV, and then to some fiio toslink DAC which feeds the receiver.
Polk RTiA1, I don't know much about speakers but I'm happy with 'em for what I paid.
My receiver is literally over twice my age, you tell me.

Attached: Marantz 2220.jpg (1600x1200, 159K)

We have enough autism on this board already. Please get out with your audiophile stuff back to __re_ddit__

No u

Attached: 20170429_113206-2656x1494.jpg (2656x1494, 743K)

You clearly weren't around for the heyday of [PLEBSPOTTERS].

I guess.
>What amp do you use?
Unitra WS-330, preamp completely bypassed. I use a Grundig SXV 6000 for that.
Technics SB-CS7, fuckers sound awesome
You tell me.
HornLoaded > [PLEBSPOTTERS]

Attached: We Audiofool Nao.jpg (3056x4592, 2.17M)

JBL LSR-305 with a Dayton Sub 800.
I feel 0 need to upgrade. I also have some Hifiman HE-400 headphones when I'm in the mood for that, along with a seperate home theater system of Klipsch stuff that I got for free.

Yes
>What amp do you use?
Currently using Bryston 4B NRB
Currently using Totem Model One
Absolutely. Using vintage Philips High Fidelity Laboratories preamp and tuner right now in my setup, with Revox B790 turntable.

:^)

Parts express has a pretty good selection. It's also a pretty good resource for replacement speakers for repairs and DIY projects.

Several, including a couple home theater systems
>What amp do you use?
Mostly Yamaha amps and receivers
Martin Logan Motion 10, Yamaha NS 144, Pioneer SP22LR, Realistic T-100, plus a bunch of other shit.
Very much so. Have yet to get my hands on any tube equipment though.

Attached: equipment hoarding.jpg (1600x2273, 457K)

Yes
>What amp do you use?
A JVC A-K10
A pair of JVC SP-E21.
99% of my gear is >30yo stuff I got for cheap, the speakers being the newest parts among the setup.
I know it's far from being the best sounding stereo setup, but still, I find it's a huge improvement from the PC speakers + woofer setup I used to use.

most bluetooth speakers compress their output spectrum

best reply

Attached: 15c680d0606684670b2d2f9ac449d7c3.jpg (540x836, 435K)

>speaker in corner

why are audiopedos such retards?

VERY NICE
how do the totems sound

show us your logitech collection, patrician

Attached: april_ (313).jpg (600x357, 35K)

holy jesus fuck...

Attached: 2018-04-14 16_42_39-_g_ - Lets talk about hifi _ audio _ audiophile stuff D - Technology - 4chan.png (311x118, 85K)

They're pretty fantastic little speakers. They play surprisingly low for their size and are very detailed on the top end. I might prefer the LS50 though. I can't decide.

I don't know shit about audio electronics in general. The other day I tried some expensive headphones on a laptop with a flac rip vs vorbis 128kbps re-encode and I couldn't find any difference.
Do I need a better system or what? I really don't see any reason to keep my music in flac.

peter mary and goddamn paul

Attached: magic magnetless logitech speaker.jpg (1234x823, 284K)

>laptop

i have to tell you, until you get into the high end, most things wont sound much different

tell me about this some expensive headphones

Those are shit. Logitech has new tweeter tech that make that sound like plastic garbage.

Attached: Advanse Tweeter by Logitech.jpg (355x355, 22K)

How is the bass output from the Martin Logans?

totem model one?

GORGEOUS

Attached: totem.jpg (250x435, 86K)

It looks like that might be a picture of "the One" which was the last, cost-no-object iteration of the Model One. Mine are Model One Biwire, so less fancy than those.

Attached: 1584751-totem-model-1-biwire-in-mahogany.jpg (576x768, 36K)

Honestly, not great. They're fine down to about 50 hz but drop off pretty quick below that. A sub is a necessity.

Not terrible, would rather have Maggie’s or Quad though instead of a hybrid.

GORGEOUS

Attached: 976960028_7413796672.jpg (375x500, 114K)

>Going to take apart an old receiver and try to bring it back up to shape with some deoxit
Anyone have any advice? Going to try to follow some forum posts.

Serious question: need a decent speaker pair that does not look like shit complete shit, preferably as minimalistic as possible, also no fucking black glossy paint

max. $700 for the pair

monitor audio gold 2.5
$550

Attached: 1816638-monitor-audio-25-gold-speakers-rare-made-in-england-pair-audiophile.jpg (1200x675, 136K)

thanks
50hz is not bad for a compact tower

SCRATCHY POTS?

Attached: 52379dc5a8110db2c6a26219978fe47f.jpg (2054x3000, 1M)

Ye. Resulted in the left channel cutting out sometimes. I'm hoping that issue will also disappear.

deoxit type kits usually work really well
mine cost about 20 bucks

>kits
Caig Deoxit 5% spray, right? I picked up a can of that. 17 bucks on amazon. Pic related, receiver I'm hoping to bring as close to new as I can.

Attached: not my image Pioneer SX 727.jpg (2576x1932, 945K)

>>Do you have HiFi stereo setup?
I suppose so. Yes. Absolutely.
>>What amp do you use?
Pass Labs XA30.5
>>What speakers do you use?
Old TAD PRO / JBL horn design (re: vintage style) design speaker
>>Are you into vintage gear?
Not exactly, per se. I like vintage designs, and I like Nelson Pass. What can I say?

Attached: CADENZA.jpg (4032x3024, 2.99M)

Spray and twist. It gets rid of 95% of scratchy-ness

so, the parts are nice, except for the speakers, but the whole thing has a creepy look

I need a 2.0/2.1 recommendation. HDMI/RCA input. Doesn't need to be powerful at all as the speakers are 95db/1 watt. Bass/treble options would be neat

Most people say it's comfy looking. Unless you're talking about my chinese cartoon dolls, then yes, you can make that argument. I don't really care about aesthetics, I care about sound.

>>hdmi input
you looking for an avr or a stereo amp?

>When you are not performing your duties, do they keep you in a little box?
>CELLS INTERLINKED

What are the speakers

Those speakers are beautiful.

Probably AVR because the speakers will replace the TV audio

Klipsch KG 4.2

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x480, 42K)

Not much. Got a sa-50 powering a pair of rb-10 speakers

there just speakers

those are high sensitivity 8ohm speakers so you wont need a real powerful amp unless you want the room to shake, but if youre getting a muddy response, you might audition some other speakers for the mains and use the klipsch as the surrounds

They are ugly af t b h

I know all about these speakers. They were my first set that got me into the Klipsch bug. I got them for my mom since she likes my setup. Problem is I need to find an amp/avr/whatever that won't make them sound harsh as fuck. I've used a cheap AudioSource amp before and it was a horrible match. I may end up going with best buy tier because I know they work decently well but would rather not if alternatives are available

Is there a device out there that control an analog volume dial with a remote? I'm imagining something like this in my head where a band turns the dial with a button push

Attached: Untitled.png (926x341, 7K)

I'm moving into a place with a pretty weird living room, trying to figure out speaker placement. There is a partial wall in the middle of the room that seems to lend itself to a TV. I tried to draw it in pic related.

The black boxes are speakers (ignore the ones on the opposite side of the wall, those point toward the kitchen area). I have a hodgepodge of speakers from years past, including:
2x Danley Sound Labs SH-Minis
2x Danley Sound Labs CS-30 subwoofers
2x M&K S-150s
1x M&K S-150 Low Profile (center channel, basically, less depth to the cabinet)
2x M&K SS-50s I think they are called, the tripoles (which probably won't work well in that room since can't really mount them on a wall).

I have plenty of old amps to power everything, Crest and Crown mostly.

Should I just go stereo? Maybe 2x CS-30s and the 2x SH-Minis. Those really sound good for movies. Maybe then use the S-150s in my den since those are great for music.

Thoughts?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-04-14 20.38.53.png (1376x774, 992K)

Not sure if there exists a device that you're looking for, but I imagine making one yourself wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world. Pic related is 99 dollars. Presumably there are cheaper variants of this you can buy. Rig it up with a rubber band and you basically have what you're looking for.

Attached: 71aFqVne-jL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x969, 169K)

Oh also that furniture layout (and speaker layout) isn't fixed or anything, I just slapped some stuff there that might make sense.

Yeah, remote control analog pot. Couple company make them besides Alps

Attached: B9B0BF5E-FD87-423E-B8D9-CFE25C070910.jpg (380x310, 40K)

Generally the sound is more from the speakers than the amp, unless something is really wrong with the amp. Where you get into amplifiers that have a sonic signature they are generally tube amplifiers and such. Do those horns have compression drivers? That might be the culprit. You can fiddle with an SPL meter, tones, and try to take some of the peaks out if the frequency response isn't flat in the right places. Sometimes pulling some dBs out of the 4-5kHz range really helps.

>Do those horns have compression drivers?
Yes

Going from the 100w AudioSource amp to an old school Marantz 2270 was night and day in the difference. That vintage amp was a gorillion times better to listen to without fatigue

I always wonder why people love Klipsch so much when they openly admit that they sound like shit and are on a journey to try to make them sound better. JUST BUY BETTER SPEAKERS!

I think Klipsch is pretty decent for movies, they produce good dynamics with typical consumer power supplies rather than giant professional amplifiers. But music they kinda suck, generally speaking. And yeah I guess the work around has been to use tube amps to warm the sound a bit.

People aren't used to directed sound. When it's solid its amazing. But put in a room with bare walls and no carpeting god damn its horrible.

>Lets talk about hifi / audio / audiophile stuff
Sort of
>What amp do you use?
Yamaha RX-397
Realistic Nova 10s, my daughter likes to pile her toys around them
Yes. I like it, had a Realistic STA-2100 that I restored. Sold it for 16 times what I paid for it and just use my Yamaha now. Sounds good enough for me with these Nova 10s.

I was huge into buying what I could find of the old RadioShack stuff. I had the Mach Ones, Mach Twos, Minimus 7s, and a ton of random different speakers. Quite a few different receivers and amps as well, can be a lot of fun but fuck I spent a lot of time and money and never just listened to my tunes. Now I listen to my music vs worry about what I'm listening to them with.

Yeah, they're very dynamic, can play very loud, are easy to drive, but for extended music listening there are a lot of better options out there.

Forgot the pic

Attached: IMG_20180414_210604802_LL.jpg (3120x4160, 2.57M)

Attached: imba.png (724x555, 430K)

>Can't even enjoy your audio because all sound is blocked by fluffy elmos

What is nearfield listening?

Bookshelves don't use compression drivers

That's why the volume control is there lel

I was like that for a while too. Now I'm a little more sane, I have a lot of speakers though and never really sold any. I'm finally getting a place and there will be speakers in every room. I'm going to look for a cool distributed audio solution that will work for all of them.

Wouldn't basically every movie theater and night club be what you describe as directed sound? (I imagine you mean horn loaded compression drivers?)

not really hi-fi. I have a piecemeal stereo """""system"""" but I'm using cheap Sony desktop speakers which aren't that great. I like them, but definitely not hi-fi. Going to get DT770s though for my next headphones. that'll definitely be a step up from where I am now.

>What amp do you use?
unironically a turtle beach inline Xbox headset amp because poorfag. it works on both my cheap sony headphones and desktop speakers and it really does make a little difference, at least versus my normal PC sound output. Yes I know I'm a huge pleb.

Sony SRS-A21 active desktop speakers.

speakers are from ~1998
Sony TC-R303 tape deck from '87
1995 era portable CD player
late 90s CD player
Mid 90s cassette walkman

yeah, I'd say so.

I have a question for you guys--if I get an older used receiver, will it be able to take multiple audio inputs and switch between them and also switch between multiple audio outputs? I'd like to be able to plug in my PC, tape deck, CD player into it and plug my speakers and headphones in (with amp of course) and choose which source I want to listen to and on either speakers or phones. am I asking too much for an old receiver?

Attached: IMAG0430.jpg (4224x2368, 2.02M)

I notice in these threads not a lot of home theaters, more 2.1 systems. Is 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever it is now really worth it?

Attached: _lZu5cSpmjA.jpg (1080x810, 112K)

Of course you'll be able to switch between inputs. On the output side, old receivers usually have a switch to turn the speakers off, so what you could do is connect your headphone amp to one of the tape loop record outputs and just turn off the speakers when using headphones. I highly advise against using the headphone output in old receivers, since their impedance is really high (some old DIN spec stated it should be 120 ohm) and that makes them have an absolutely horrid damping factor.

2.1 is significantly easier/cheaper to make sound better, and is usually the extent of what people need. Whereas for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup, I for example wouldn't want to go with those shitty little speakers that are bundled in packages but instead with five bookshelf speakers. The price of that can add up, along with the difficulty of mounting everything.

5.1 & 7.1 it's stupid expensive to do it right.

Also Cara is a cute, post more.

Horn loaded I mean, yes. But theaters are also huge rooms and thought is taken where they are placed. Plus they don't have bare walls inside to reflect everything around

It's hard to do 5.1/7.1 in small spaces

Thanks. Makes sense. Yeah a lot of homes even if they seem to have decent speakers the cables look like shit if they don't run them through the ceiling or something.

It's all supposed to be the same speakers too, right? Like you can't mix and match?

Attached: cara-dkny-hma.jpg (1021x678, 75K)

You can mix and match to a certain degree. Different brands is a no-no because the timbre won't match. Same goes for different series/versions of speakers within the same brand.

Depends how anal you want to be about it

>M&K S-150s
whoa

Attached: 15256874484_15fdb93533_b.jpg (1024x454, 163K)

Why is there so much snake oil in the audiophile community?

there's something to be said about keeping different kinds of speakers for the variations in their sound signature, and that something is i love hoarding speakers

you might try experimenting with amps like peachtree nova which are part-tube

adorable

strange and interesting

i think avforum has more home theatre enthusiasts - i dont like that much sound myself as a routine thing

nice deck

Attached: april_ (311).jpg (691x725, 127K)

I put a Chromecast Audio on my stereo and it's been nice. If you have a receiver with MultiZone it might be decent. I had a Denon with 3 zones, but I never used it.

It's funny how I have had so many receivers over the years, yet I always went back to my 50wpc Yamaha. I'm glad I settled down with my collecting, basically kept my favorite system and unloaded all my other stuff. Also kept my dad's old Realistic Tape deck that I replaced the belts on. Doesn't get much use anymore, but I'll fire it up and let my daughter push the buttons on it sometimes. She loves all the clunks and clicks of the solenoids haha