Is there ever any downside to having a lot of ram?

Is there ever any downside to having a lot of ram?

Attached: 15233874223.jpg (343x147, 9K)

Yes. There is a performance penalty.

Increases the probablility of wasted ram.

Viruses run faster

Heat and power consumption, this is mainly the number of sticks you have not neccessarily the capacity

hibernation takes longer

Less money in your wallet

make me jealous

That's a good point actually

it will make your weewee fall down

this, albeit the increased power consumption is negligible
there's DDR3L and DDR4L anyway

no

>hibernating on disk
>in the current year
are you for real
now you'll tell me you don't use SSD as well

not if you copy home in ram

no. youll never run out and that is the point.

It costs more. And you have to deal with jealous RAMlets. That's about it.

>session suspension to ssd
nice job faggot
might as well just flush your money in my anus

It encourages Pajeets and nu-devs to not clean their code up.

You won't notice when a program is leaking memory for a long time.

this. what the fuck? who even hibernates in 2018?

The amount of ram you have needs to be proportional to available ewes

Attached: RamsOnParade042707 005-v1-201401pi.jpg (1000x750, 622K)

Can't keep up with CPU needs fast enough and will probably be slower. 32 GB cache when?

You'll enable bloat and suboptimal code

No.

Some hypervisors don't like it when you provision too much RAM to a VM, as they actively try to shovel the non-used portion to the swap, eventually slowing down the entire Host system. It's annoying as fuck. So yes, there are very specific use cases where having too much RAM has downsideds.

>not having a tiny system disk
>not making a ramdisk of your entire system
>not using the rest of your disk a gargantuous swap

>he doesn't know difference between hibernation and sleep
get the fuck out

May your ram be plentiful, have a (Ewe).

Time taken to lose virginity

I hibernate on an SSD on my thinkpad so I don’t lose my work if my battery goes critical during sleep. I leave my thinkpad in my backpack for days at a time because I’ll always forget it if I don’t. I just keep the charger with it and during hibernate it doesn’t use any battery.

Fite me nerd

It uses power regardless of whether you actually use the RAM or not. That's the only issue.
stop talking out of your ass.

But the power draw is negligible. You'd find a tiny difference between having all slots populated and running a single slot per channel, but the difference between high and low capacity sticks is non-existent.

If you populate all four DIMMs, you may not be able to push your overclock further, as it'll put more strain in the memory controller, but that's about it.

>populate all four DIMMs
how do I do this?
What's a DIMM?

DIMM sockets, it's where you place the RAM sticks

Attached: IMG_0313.jpg (1920x1080, 1.05M)

Right, got it.

Thank you.

Could you recommend a RAM strategy for my Xeon hp workstation from xp era?

Is there really any point in 32Gb RAM when my biggest program will fit in 2Gb?

What is the RAM war really for anyway?

Cheers.

It's expensive

I got my desktop set to hibernate so if I'm away doing shit it ain't running full bore just sucking electric for no reason. Can quickly get back to what I was doing without having to turn it on. Really only time I turn it off/shut it down is during the work week.

Unless you really want / need 32gb ram, just go with 16

If you edit video/edit photos, play newer games then you need 16 - 32GB of ram (or whatever amount your board will take). If all your doing is basic shit like internet, e-mail,etc and don't keep a ton of browser tabs open you can get by fine with a lot less (2-4GB). I've got an old Toshiba laptop that is maxed at 2GB w/windows 7 and it runs pretty smooth. Desktop though has 32GB.

>downside?
yes, every now and then a bunch of cum guzzling faggots will try to use some broken logic to explain why they are salty because they can't afford parts for their computers and why it's bad to have a shitton.
Something that might be a consequence is that the same covered in shit dick slurping idiots might be the ones writing the shittiest most unoptimized software like Atom or any other desktop program that requieres shittons of memory just to start

I do mostly music/video stuff.
Not even HD as it's all projected over Sanyo last gen beamers.

hot tips on RAM sellers? and thanks.

Attached: wishihadtentaclez.jpg (2048x1536, 583K)

You have to pay for it first.

Perhaps when we have 20 layers of cache.