YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Why? Two words: Font rendering.

KDE, Xfce, Cinnamon, and Mate already provide a fully functioning and exceptional desktop experience. Gnome is even around for brainlets and toddlers. There's only one problem, the font rendering on all of them is abysmal.

Linux still hasn't figured out font rendering after three decades. It's arguably one of the most important features of an OS since you're required to read fucking to text to use menu options, etc.

Normies fire up a Linux machine and the font rendering looks horrible, they immediately move back to Windows or Mac OS.

Why can't Linux figure out font rendering?

Attached: 1489430113283.png (633x758, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freetype.org/patents.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kill yourself, stupid fucking nigger

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-15 08-35-53.png (3840x2160, 1.33M)

You've already made this thread.

year of the linux will never happen because the linux community continues to behave like children
look at any forum post/video/thread/etc highlighting linux shortcomings and majority of responses are shitposts or retards sperging out like children

it's absurd

Ubuntu renders as well as anything. Neck yourself faggot.

> normies
> seeing a difference in font rendering

Attached: article26025281D06B2C900000578576_634x473.jpg (634x473, 30K)

Why is Tokyo always the test page?

>posts shit font-rendering
>uses gnomeme

Attached: 1521568544694.jpg (399x384, 19K)

I think the bigger concern is drivers. If that wifi card is not working 100% effectively out of the box without any issues, you've already lost. Same goes for any hardware. If some piece of hardware works fine on Windows but doesn't on Linux, normies will consider Linux inferior as a result. It doesn't matter that the reason for this is because manufacturers don't properly support Linux. People just want their shit to work and will not see the nuance.

dumb frog poster

Trips beat dubs, sorry gnome-fag.

Stop trying this hard. WiFi works just fine ootb, this isn't 2007 anymore. Hence the other week windows fucked up my wifi driver after an update.

dubdub beats trips, sorry pajeet.

Its been 7 years and gnome 3 devs still haven't figured out how to make desktop transitions which don't lag.

Apple nailed it 15 years ago.

there's no difference get your eyes check nigga
t. been using looniks for everything for half a decade

>what is broadcom

What I use.

I posted this the last time you posted this thread OP but I'll post it again because you obviously ignored it

freetype.org/patents.html

You can directly blame Microsoft for other operating systems not having comparable font rendering, they are being assholes with their patents. In the past you could blame Apple for this as well

I don't get the whole font rendering thing honestly. I don't think I ever manually set it up on my arch install, but I don't really see anything wrong, but I'm shit at aesthetics. Can anybody post some examples of good vs bad font rendering?

Microsoft is the tumor of the tech world.

nobody can because it's pretty personal beyond VERY obviously horrendous font rendering
which nearly all browsers/os kind of prevent anyways

But ttf-mscorefonts-installer exists, and Linux still can't render them correctly.

>VERY obviously horrendous font rendering
Post your screenshot, since you are so sure of yourself.

I see. Is it really just aesthetics, or does it cause eye strain or something? Is it worth setting it up? I spend most of my time in terminal using terminus

non-sequitur
>my random number means i'm right

ugh what am I doing here
I installed a broadcom wireless pci device in windows 10 and-- it didn't recognize it just like windows wouldn't recognize shit hardware with proprietary bullshit. it's no different on windows. The problem is I have no idea when or where driver updates are--windows doesn't do that for me like linux would.
microsoft has cleartype to make it look good, though.
some installations of windows will have shitty font rendering because you have to manually configure cleartype.
basically if you don't actually install any fonts it will use shit fonts. look at twm for example. modern WM and DE's have fonts.

Attached: thumbsup.png (326x418, 135K)

How fucking autistic do you have to be to think that everybody care that much about fucking fonts?
Android uses noto, any respectable Loonicks distro uses noto.
One is popular, the other isn't.
It's beyond the font.

the No.1 reason why no year of the desktop linux is OEM support.
People don't want to install an OS.
Heck, looking at Windows, they don't even want to update.

The average person doesn't give a shit what you can do with an OS.
They're even okay with a walled garden like Mac OS, as long as they don't have to open a single config file.

also this

Attached: 1506976592585.jpg (960x720, 64K)

Did you read the link? Installing their fonts is not going to magically unpatent the font rendering algorithms

You got the two words wrong.
It's
SCHEDULING.
LATENCY.
Try rt-tests cyclictest. KEK.