So tell me about your side projects user

>so tell me about your side projects user

Attached: 1520767379240.png (646x595, 323K)

Other urls found in this thread:

iquebrew.org/
iquebrew.org/,
youtube.com/watch?v=pNt0iVG2VOA
lotorainbow.com.br/en/exe_2.asp
problemkaputt.de/pandocs.htm
problemkaputt.de/portar.htm
gist.github.com/Wunkolo/249646f7a922ee045c70
youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5oy69sgE0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I made a gee desktop browser

Attached: derploma_guy.png (1440x1429, 1.29M)

Working on building a home server for PLEX and backups.

I work for a living so I don't code unless i'm getting paid for it.

You're not gonna make it.

>tfw I already have a job as a software engineer

Attached: 1468299372334.gif (800x430, 564K)

W-well um, I m-made a program that allows you to d-download pictures tagged as "loli" on v-various boorus

Attached: 1522606809148.png (646x595, 304K)

Making a fucking pong, but using threads and sockets instead of a simple getValue() are a pain in the ass

But I'm already employed, you're the one who solicited me for an interview.

How far along are you?

>thinks getting a job is making it

working on internet messenger.. done the backend part (i think), the frontend also is 30% progress.. yesterday morning i decide to add process forking on the backend, by this jight i realoze it was a stupid thung to do since the naster cannot share the database instance to its workers... now i have to redo the backend again.. fuck me..

This tbqh, having some shitty side projects won't be any better than having relevant work experience and knowing my shit if I ever want to get a new job

Same here, what have you set up so far bro?

Gotta love what you do to do it good

Right now I just have the basic build and I'm working on finding a decent enclosure for the aesthetic of it all. I'm going with the coffee lake i3-8100 because that'll last me a good while.

I've been reversing an obscure piece of hardware, documenting the structures & algorithms it uses, moving toward hopefully getting an exploit together for it so I can get code execution on the device.
Jow Forums isn't really interested in RE though so I won't bore you with anymore of it (god I miss /prog/)

I'm interested in RE. You have my attention.

Cool I'm looking at doing something similar and I was wondering if Plex is a good option.

Calculating properties of molecules, synthesizing them, then checking them with dem big spectroscopes.

PLEX is good if you have your own media files and want to stream them to your devices.

how do you make it in life, self-help-kun?

I want a RAID fileserver that I can sorta securely SSH into with a key pair to store my work files, and I want to be able to stream my movies onto mine and my gf's computers simultaneously so we can get cozy and watch movies "together" when we're in seperate countries.
Is PLEX for me?

i swear to fuck i'll do it if asked

Attached: 2018-04-14-211407_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.89M)

Well it's the N64 released exclusively in China, it's basically a proto-Wii with the OS software developed by the same guys. Uses encrypted games on NAND instead of carts, but the same CPU/GFX just all inside one chip (with slightly better performance than a normal N64 too), and a much better controller too.

IMO it'd make a great N64 Mini if we could ever get our own ROMs working on it, right now we haven't gotten anywhere with the encryption yet though, but most of the custom file formats have been worked out, there's more info at iquebrew.org/

There's hopes that some of the exploits that worked on Wii might carry over onto this, and there's plans to get a RAM dump of it soon which should give us a lot more to work with hopefully.

Attached: 1200px-Nintendo-N64-iQue-Player-FL.png (1200x1051, 972K)

Do school projects count?

>iquebrew.org/
uh I mean iquebrew.org/, didn't realise it doesn't have https...

Well, PLEX is like a self maintained Netflix. You put the files in, and use their client to watch/listen to whatever you want. With your plans that would work, but, Netflix would also do the exact same desu.

That's fucking awesome. Is there even a way to get an iQue outside China?
Also, I always thought that thing was just an N64 hardware clone, or just some embedded MIPS system, considering the N64 was off-the-shelf-ish and by the time the iQue was released you could use modern DDR/2 SDRAM instead of RDRAM.
Also, wouldn't it make more sense for it to be closer to the cube than the Wii? I mean, I know jack about this, but maybe you can pull off something like the old SDGecko memory cards to run code on it.

>so what you been doing in the last 5 years..?

Attached: 1519011681773.png (646x595, 280K)

Succeed. You've been given a spot in the race. Now you have to run

Ohh so Plex sounds perfect. I don't like anything on Netflix.

Trying to upgrade my skills. Going through courses on Lynda.com.

No. Side projects = no one is assigning them to you

install gentoo

Attached: 1523588616848.jpg (227x222, 9K)

imageboard-software, coop-oekaki, 3D Engine, building a router.

Well I stole someone GitHub project and added some new functionality. It's how I made that website you see in the project section

Should I continue?

Attached: br.jpg (1920x1034, 236K)

>you use linux?
>oh I love ubuntu!

Attached: 1516173364718.png (590x542, 504K)

i love doing side projects. that's pretty much what i'm all about. it's landed me in front of lots of people for interviews and im never at a loss with something to talk about. today i am working on my backups solutions. in a nutshell, i am scripting rsync between 3 of my main workstations and having it back up 4 times over in my storage network and then eventually paying some company to put in in the cloud, maybe amazon glacier storage.

and im recording some metrics for bandwidth usage and my actual bandwidth speeds at any given time.

listening to this to chill me out:
youtube.com/watch?v=pNt0iVG2VOA

Attached: muhCHARTz.png (1088x874, 51K)

There's third-parties in China that can buy them from auction sites like Taobao and mail them to you, takes forever but it's the cheapest way.
Sometimes they show up on ebay too but usually way overpriced. You need to be wary of older stock though, some early iQues don't have support for the PC/USB interface that we've been using to make NAND dumps and mess around with different firmwares (pic related), but there is a way to upgrade them if you have a second iQue that does have USB support (or can mail to someone that does)

Also most iQues only have timed demos on them, rarely ones will full games unlocked will show up, and right now there's no way to unlock them (even the purchasing servers have gone down ;_;), but maybe in the future there'll be a way.

It basically is a hardware clone heh, but an "official" one (albeit with an added "secure kernel" built-in, which handles the encryption/signature stuff). Seems to have slightly better performance than normal N64s which is why speedrunners started using it. (like you guessed they did change the RAM out which might explain the performance boost, can't really remember what they changed it to right now though)

Gamecube didn't really have any ticket/licensing/signature system in place like the Wii does (which is the bit they have most in common), I think they probably got the devs who worked on iQue to work on Wii security because iQue never got cracked in China, but obviously Wii had a lot more attention than iQue ever did lel.

Attached: iQueTestFirmware.jpg (2448x3264, 1.4M)

Ubuntu is fine

>tfw the only side projects I see through to completion are retarded ones where I'm just fucking around
>lose interest a couple of days in when it's anything useful

Ubuntu is gay.

Attached: frog.jpg (2000x2000, 489K)

wasting my time making sweetjs and tagged template stuff that literally no one uses, not even myself. not sure why I bother making anything.

loli rape simulator

go on........

its a video game that simulates the raping of lolis

not him but apparently some user was actually working on this. I never found out what became of the project though, anyone know?

Attached: simloli.png (2560x1440, 266K)

Oh, so it's the software side that's closer to the Wii. Makes more sense.
I wish you the best of luck, user. And do publish the results, there's people interested in this obscure stuff, even if not many.

don't call us, we'll call you

he's probably still plucking away at it, believe me, you'll know when it's released

Ubuntu is not fine, it is garbage.

Attached: 1397372947862.gif (456x338, 2.06M)

I'm working on an MMORPG with neural networks. Currently trying to figure out what a neural network is.

Attached: 1399173036809.gif (600x440, 1.67M)

why

Attached: 1409341824328.gif (335x293, 1.18M)

Just programming an MSX 2 game.
It requires its in pure Z80 assembler, as on a 8bit 3 Mhz CPU, anything compiled is out of question.

Attached: scrollm.webm (320x240, 925K)

when I was in highschool I made a bunch of shitty games on gamemaker.

Since I'm not a programmer now I only do practical stuff like a program that will take the historical data of all lotto results in my country and analyse them to try and predict the next result.

Nothing very complicated, I use this simple method, I wish I could do more mathwise lotorainbow.com.br/en/exe_2.asp

So far I've won a lot of small consolation prizes, usually winning the price of the ticket back. Once I managed to match three numbers and the cashier was like "someone actually wins something?". I won like $10 dollars.

I cook a lot of my own meals. Often times I buy ingredients and then am left with little bits and pieces of leftovers which typically go bad and get thrown out. I don't like that so I'm making a system wherein I'll log anything I pick up at the grocery store and link it up with a database of recipes that I know I like.

Over time the goal is to have a system that keeps a running inventory of all my food, herbs, and spices, and keeps track of when things are going to expire. And has a list of "here's what you can make with what's in your kitchen now based on what you like" and have the soon-to-expire food be prioritized towards the top of the list. Then there'd be some sort of button under each recipe to indicate "I made this" and the amounts of each ingredient would be subtracted from the database and the list of recommended recipes would change accordingly.

A deep learning blockchain predictive rendering engine written in tensorflow

you and me need to talk.

im doing almost the same exact thing

Encrypted chat client. Goals:
>Disable system keyboard and use something open source
>E2E using hashes if ciphers to prevent snooping
>Only the hash is stored locally once received, and then only for x amount of time. Unhashing is done on viewing message
I expect the last part to be a clusterfuck if I can't somehow cache earlier messages securely.

Why is scrolling in the MSX so goddamn awful. Even the Famicom, a console 3 years old at the time the MSX launched, had smoother scrolling.

Man, I'm never gonna get a fucking job hahahaha. None of the stuff I do in my free time is even tech related. I spend all my time trying to learn how to draw anime girl feet fetish stuff. Try telling THAT to an employer, or even worse showing them hahahahhaa

MSX 1 was a case of no scrolling support whatsoever.
All was done by rapidly swapping the tilemap, which gave you an 8 pixel scroll precision.

Now on MSX 2 (the thing i'm aiming at), it only supports vertical scrolling, but there are some registers made for "screen adjust" that allow you to offset the screen 8 pixels to left-right/up-down and you can use it to perform smooth horizonal scrolling (see webm or things such as space manbow).

Working on a ASCII based 3d renderer for terminal.
Still in very early stages

Attached: nblessed-VideoToMp4.webm (1920x1080, 1.25M)

want to be mangaka when i was 15, bought wacom drawing tablet at 16, stopped drawing when i was 17 when i learn mangaka is not a real job and the work schedule is inhumane..

join CS at 18, be the best at 19, famous at 20, decides to degoogle and defamous myself at 21.. now 22, i hate node.js..

Interesting. How hard is to program for the Z80? Any good reading material about this topic? I kinda want to get into it now.

I personally think it's fun as hell, thus why doing it in first place.
And well, the autist that does those no$emulators generally do some quite neat documentations.
I would recommend gameboy because it's less limited:
problemkaputt.de/pandocs.htm

But if you want the full Z80 experience, with in/out etc, MSX is the most powerful thing with it:
problemkaputt.de/portar.htm

Meh, convince me

>and the work schedule is inhumane..
My real problem is that my preferred job has always been "I dunno, what's the least work?" There aren't many good jobs for people who're lazy. Even when the job itself isn't too taxing, you have to pretend like you're diligent and working hard to get hired and avoid being fired.

If I'd have known ahead of time that the tech world expects you to do so much on your own time and initiative I'd have never even considered trying to go anywhere near the field.

that's really cool user

Thanks for the links, user.

If you can't be creative enough to lie about some arduino or 3D printing bullshit you're probably too much of a retard to be employed anyway.

You're welcome, have fun!

>If I'd have known ahead of time that tech world expects ..
Now that you know, any advice for us young dumb and broke?

>open sores instead of Free Software

into the trash it goes.

last time I knew he was posting on /agdg/ on inf chan because he kept getting banned from /vg/.
he's probably still working hard at it

No. I never figured it out and essentially wasted all of my 20s.

you should check out this nigga's stuff
gist.github.com/Wunkolo/249646f7a922ee045c70

Attached: r95a9rI.gif (540x490, 3.3M)

I made an app for my own specific purpose. A colleague asked me about it one day. Few weeks later I seen it in a tech blog and on the apple and google app stores. He either copied the idea or stole my files.

If you're referring to how the score display scrolls "with" the level, then technically that would happen on the NES too. The reason it doesn't in games like SMB is because the score display is strictly isolated from the game level on its own set of Y coordinates, and the game switching the scrolling registers in between scanlines. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar to it can be done on the MSX as well, but I wouldn't know.

>love programming and low level shit of all sorts
>about to graduate
>everyone graduating with me is legit into it purely for the money

who could do that to themselves. How can you do computer science for anything other than a passion. Guess I can't relate

is there anything you can do about that? i dont want this to happen to me..

Wow

working doing something stops you from loving it, at least in a certain capacity

What does it do? If he could've implemented it and released on both stores in a couple weeks it must not have been very complicated.

either this^ or perhaps somebody else was working on it at the same time

You should never do what you love.
When you get tired of work, there's nothing else in your life.

He's talking about shit like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5oy69sgE0

But on MSX 2 yes you can do the scroll switching and such as the system supports hInterrupts.
You can see on space manbow this happening as well, i think it even swaps the screen mode mid screen.

>just work for free bro
>who cares if that's not what you enjoy doing, you're not making it unless you're doing what *I* think you should be doing
dumb faggot

>program the ideal AI gf
>she leaves me for a text editor

Attached: 1518259375751.gif (305x320, 890K)

Have you seen vim?
You never stood a chance.

made my saturday night thanks bitch

making a simple molar mass calculator in C

emaced.com

made a little terminal-based image gallery script (mainly for glancing at shit over ssh/console, it's pretty useless if you're running a desktop)
started working on a little game for the original game boy (feature complete, but unfinished)
started a little sdl2-based tile engine
made an ascii art editor to learn ncurses (still need to add some features to it, like block selection)

nothing major, but I do shit on the side

>VIMMED

>Famicom
>three years old
mate, the MSX standard is from the same year, 1983
as for why it's so awful, it's using the kinda retarded TMS-9918a, which has NO hardware scroll (not even coarse scrolling, you have to update all that shit yourself)
I do like the per-line-per-character color system though. You can have all 16 colors in a single tile.
just about everything about the chip is retarded (32 sprites is nice... but 4 per line is fucking AWFUL and makes any kind of horizontally oriented anything a nightmare)