/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=hqZoK1bq2hs

>Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=jogJHY-h7n8

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread:

Attached: tudor watch.jpg (768x1024, 173K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=b305102778
meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/spare-parts/vostok-amphibia-red-bezel.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for grail!

Attached: Flying.jpg (800x1067, 229K)

I’m only gonna watch that clown video like three more times

Attached: 412C31FF-FB2C-45B3-BCF3-3CB15E01D7AC.jpg (4032x3024, 2.89M)

amazing

how do i meet cute watch boys?

Attached: 1516512689578.jpg (663x663, 107K)

Someone explain this to me

Uhh look at guy's wrists? If they're not wearing a mall watch or they wear different ones then they're probably into watches.

I think this might be a redial, what do you think wt?

Attached: Screenshot_20180414-192219.jpg (1140x2181, 481K)

Yeah they didn't redial it in very high resolution.

They redialed it with a potato

So far so good, will within measurement error.

Attached: Screenshot_20180414-193302.jpg (1359x811, 174K)

Are Tudors any good? I think Rolexes seem overpriced.

Tudors are just fine. I like the Pelagious better than they subby even if they were both $9k. I wish they made it in stainless though, titanium is a scratch magnet

How much do you think one in good condition will cost you?

>testing accuracy over the course of 3 hours
Is this some kind of sick joke?

Don't they use the same movements as the Rolex? Why the hell is Rolex so pricey

I'll be your cute watch boy, user!
Only if you own an F91-W though

No they don't use the same movement, and because Rolex says Rolex on it whereas Tudor writes Tudor on their watches.

Also Rolexes are made from better quality steel and have ceramic bezels.

Given where it was before service, where I'd be lucky for it to run for two hours without stopping, let alone keep good time, no.

Where does Steel Bagelsport come in?

Kek

What model is this? w2c?

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-04-14-22h42m11s991.png (1920x800, 1.13M)

The titanium they use is extraordinarily tough though, and that suits the functional tool watch design of the Pelagos.

>Don't they use the same movements as the Rolex?
no
>Why the hell is Rolex so pricey
Depends on who you ask, but the rolex is over all a bit nicer and better finished, especially the movement, I am not going to say you are just paying for the brand name, but you are paying several grand for the history of the rolex and their ongoing commitment to quality and servicing. My guess would be Rolex could sell a date subby for $5-7000 and still be profitable

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 9.40.00 PM.png (2202x1284, 1.16M)

>The titanium they use is extraordinarily tough though, and that suits the functional tool watch design of the Pelagos.
I would like to see some reviews on how scratched up they get as desk divers compared to a subby, if they are not more scratch prone i would be likely to buy one

it is my understanding that you can't really polish out scratches on titanium, not sure if that is 100% true

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 8.10.50 PM.png (1524x1046, 1.3M)

Rolex from an authorized dealer is overpriced.

But the prices are more reasonable in the grey market, considering what you get. Which is a superbly constructed watch that will last you a lifetime.

Any watch will last you a lifetime if you are willing to spend $500-$800 every 5 years for an overhaul

Post collections with current date/time.

Also what should I cop next?

Attached: watches.jpg (2047x2047, 655K)

I would expect the titanium to be significantly more scratch prone than a Sub, but the titanium will tougher against large scale damage.

I also don't see why you wouldn't be able to polish titanium.

damn, that timex chrono is really nice

I admit I don't know the exact reason either but a machinist friend of mine said bar stock titanium is unrefinishable (essentially) compared to steel

Looks like a G9300.

What would be a good market to shop for a Rolex? I could do reused if I need to.

>but the titanium will tougher against large scale damage.
what is your reasoning behind this statement?

I'm of two minds about the stock strap. It's a super comfy suede strap, but I hesitate to get water on it. I hate NATOs too, so I don't know what to replace it with.

The grade of titanium normally used in watches is stronger than the commonly used types of stainless steel. Stronger means more resistance to deformation, and isn't the same property as hardness, which is what would describe scratch resistance, where the steel would be better.

Used rolexes are a pain in the ass IMO, so many scams and bullshitters out there if you are actually looking to save money.

I personally would want to buy one locally and have my trusty watch guy check it out, but I am anal like that

Is that particular colour scheme discontinued or something? I can't seem to find it anywhere

I am never going to exert the kind of force on a watch case that would hit the sweet spot between the two and deform steal but not titanium. I don't think that's really a realistic criteria for judging watches IMO, you would basically be running the thing over with a car or putting the case in a vice and hitting it with a hammer at that point

There are plenty of reputable 2nd hand and grey market sellers. As long as you use common sense you should be fine.

I'm not sure, I got it as a gift a few months ago. Reference number is T49938

I have never dealt with them. How much can you save from a reputable sell buying a subby used vs. new? Assuming you want a nice one with box and papers

Well you can get > 20% just on Jomashop but not on every model. Chrono24 will offer more models with higher discounts but maybe slightly more risk (though nothing like Ebay)

yeah, looks like it's not available anymore

Only two reputable is HQMilton and DavidSW, the rest sells Franklenlexes.

Is it that hard to make endlinks fit properly?

I used Bob's Watches and they were very good. I mostly did it because I wanted a discontinued model though, so there was no issue of used vs new prices anyway. Get a 14060m, they're plentiful and relatively cheap. Fuck ceramic and fuck maxicases.

Attached: DSC_5879.jpg (1500x998, 491K)

post watch fashioned to benis

That may be true for you, but I was only pointing out that titanium is tougher than the kinds of steel used in most watches, and that's why it's often used in serious tool watches.

>Bob's Watches
This is what I've heard to use.

I thought they used titanium mainly for it's amazing resistance to saltwater corrosion and it's lightness vs. steel. Not to make the case stronger because people were bending steel cases

It's pre-owned meaning the owner probably got it caught onto something.

www .amazon .co .uk/Timex-Expedition-Chronograph-Leather-T49938/dp/B00ADZIU0Y?th=1

>It's pre-owned meaning the owner probably got it caught onto something.
That's how they all look outside of staged professional advertisement photos, all used ones with photos of the watch for sale look like that

>Is it that hard to make endlinks fit properly?
Yes.

Attached: 7.jpg (3820x2160, 2.91M)

who /casiogang/ here

>Is it that hard to make endlinks fit properly?
Marathon can do it for 800 dollars

Attached: MSAR.jpg (1600x1066, 142K)

I really want a tritium watch and that's the only one I remotely like, i wish the dial was not so busy

Who here /watchingtheformulaoneinabitwithsomebeerandyourreplicatudorblackbayred/?

how bad is it for an automatic watch to fap vigorously with your watch hand?

wouldn't that just put more power into the reserve?

too much power activates the clutch and could prematurely wear it

yeah its also just a tad thick otherwise i would have picked one up as well.

fap slow then

i dont...
my benis is too smol to strap my watch to....

Attached: 1502040083660.png (1280x720, 1.1M)

that's okay, I'm sure both of ours together will be big enough uwu~

these early 18th century pocket watches are amazing. they're so crude and have no semblance of accuracy... its like a little handmade thicc barrel.

Attached: s-l16002.jpg (1600x1398, 189K)

It depends heavily on what you mean about 'good condition'. I've seen them sell for as high as 16,000, and I've seen them sell for as low as 2,000. There are lots of issues at play. It will likely cost >1000 to service one anyway if it's in rough condition, and if you do it through Omega then they'll replace the face and hands.

Are you asking the question from the point of view of 'how much is a vintage one with all original parts in good condition?' or 'how much will I have to pay to get the technology and then service it to modern standards?'

I'll likely end up doing the latter, because it's getting to the point now where these things are old enough to need serious help. I've seen many examples where the tritium lume is no longer a nice patina but flaked off into oblivion, and the flakes get into the movement through the date windows and shit goes down. Sometimes it's flaked to the point where the chrono second hand has a large hole where the tritium used to be.

But, to each their own of course. It's one grail of many that are on my list...but it's probably the one I would covet the most.

Attached: Not of light..jpg (799x800, 185K)

Also, for the sharp-eyed enthusiasts out there, the face has an absence of 'T's, which are normally written on the face to indicate Tritium. There is still no explanation for this, either from Omega or from anyone else who has researched the watch. However there are two types of replacement dials that have been used (both using luminova), and other issues like different hands being put back on, etc. Like any vintage watch from Omega, there are lots of variants that one needs to know about before purchase.

Attached: Black date.jpg (717x538, 60K)

Not as bad as GP, who put T on watches without tritium.

Attached: 20171128_214028-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.82M)

Well yeah, I guess it could be worse.

The more I think about it though, the more I come to the conclusion that if it wasn't for Chuck Maddox, this watch would have gone into obscurity (and the prices would be reasonably low). The watch itself has no historical significance (other than being the first automatic chronograph Omega offered), it's not worn by famous actors in movies or anything like that, and I think it's safe to say it had absolutely no impact on culture at the time it was released. It's valuable because it's super rare, but it's only valuable to people who know that it's rare, if that makes sense. But I think the rarity is the driver of the prices, and fools like me will definitely pay thousands of dollars for one, because someone asks for thousands.

I just took a look and saw one going for 23,000....I wonder if those prices will still be that high 20 years from now when the generation who cared about watches like this are either too old to care or dead....
>late night thoughts can be dangerous...

Attached: In time....jpg (1024x768, 172K)

>*JUST SERVICED BY A MASTER WATCHMAKER*
>it’s actually quartz

>have 8+ nice watches
>never wear them

I feel extra depressed when I scratch or scuff them and it gets in the way when typing on a keyboard so I don't find myself putting them on

Does anyone or any store have a Casio GW-5000 for sale at a decent price? Ebay and Amazon have the price at 280-300, which is too damn high.

Attached: 51b9X8Qe-kL._UY700_.jpg (437x700, 52K)

Get a vintage watch that's already a little worn, and with a plastic crystal you can buff at any time.

That's exactly what a daily beater is for. Something to be worn daily.

Saying that though I don't know how you are typing as my watches never get in the way of that.

>Also what should I cop next?

Something that’s worth more than 50 bucks

I do have vintage watches. Also the acrylic crystal are awful because you can only buff them around 3 times before it gets too thin and they scratch if you so much breathe on it.

I can't bring myself to wear a low quality watch. What would a good beater be?

I had 12 once. Too nice.

So I sold 9, and ended up with 3. I found myself much more able to focus on those 3, and enjoy them. I wear them, bang them up, love them.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by too many watches. It's also easy to not let yourself enjoy what you have -- life's too short not to wear them, and bang them on things and scrath them up.

what’re your watches user?

Huh, I haven't had either of those problems with acrylic crystals. I'm pretty good at subconsciously keeping my wrist away from things, though.

Attached: DSCI0002.jpg (2133x1600, 774K)

Attached: Screenshot_20160506_213328.png (308x281, 76K)

Attached: IMG_20180415_100050__01.jpg (3456x4041, 3.45M)

What watches do you have already that you think are high quality?

Sup /wt/
I just put on my Casio Royale the resin strap of the black version. Maybe aesthetically it's a little downgrade from the metal bracelet, but it's super comfy
Thoughts?

Attached: IMG_20180415_104535_DRO.jpg (910x1303, 1M)

Actually looks better.

aww thanks OwO

Unfortunately you aren't going to find a better price, 280€ is already a (relatively) good one.
That watch is overpriced af
Sell some timepieces that don't get much wrist time or that you don't find interesting anymore

i just found this old fake tag carrera i had years ago is there anyway to know how to match a replacement bracelet for this? I'd like to get a cheap one off ebay if possible.

Attached: IMG_20180415_210646.jpg (1600x1200, 237K)

You've outed yourself as yuropoor. Or African.

The black part around the crystal makes the resin strap work. I still prefer the bracelet though. I just removed the text on the outside like you have.

Attached: 20180415_191159 - Copy.jpg (2266x2266, 1.2M)

Falling from grace pretty fast. Signal reception is late as shit, had to correct the seconds just today.

And I think the glossy green shit was a mistake. I'd rather have discreet black desu.

Should I just jump to the 5600 or the 1k titanium back model already?

Attached: IMG_2724.jpg (856x1521, 357K)

Where to cop this Big Mac g shock?

Attached: image.jpg (857x963, 517K)

>Wanting to overpay for a shit gshock with slight color gimmicks and a tin can

>Not knowing where to look for it in the first place

Wew lad. What a plebian retard.

Either that or you just want to spam it for the rest to see, wich also makes you a fag

It's a neat watch

fug it's like AUD$650

Gimmick gshocks can go further than 1k$ and they're just normal models with a gimmick color or brand printed on them.

You're in luck, faggot

zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=b305102778

I'm thinking of finally getting an Amphibia. Where should I look for a red bezel seiko insert for 710 case? Could be red/black too.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1920x1440, 537K)

meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/spare-parts/vostok-amphibia-red-bezel.html

meranom bezels look like dog shit