What's the reason everyone hates php? Is there anything it can do that javascript can't do?

Attached: php.png (360x258, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=php&lang2=node
thinkmobiles.com/blog/php-vs-nodejs/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages_by_type#Imperative_languages
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They hate learning how it works because it's so weird. Spend a few months on a single project and you'll have mastered this language. Anyone who complains about php in this day and age is a nodev

More like anyone who uses this crap is a retard

Why? It gets the job done. I mean if you’re not an oldfag you’re going to learn something better like ruby or node or python but if you’re older and you learned php there’s no real reason to change. It just works

Because 90% of the things in "A Fractal of Bad Design" are still relevant.

In our country its the most demanded skill in IT Industry, even more than java

My only real beef with PHP are the shitty inconsistent naming conventions.
I don't know enough about NodeJS to compare it, technically, but I doubt any Node backend framework comes close to touching Laravel.
That said, I'd welcome a Laravel-like Node framework so I can use the same libraries client-side and server-side if need be.

Tons of security vulnerabilities.
Terribly slow. It used to be 20x slower than node.js, but now days I guess newer versions are closer to 5-10x slower, but still much slower.

No, it can't do anything that JS can't do.

t. have done tens of thousands of lines of programming in both and would never touch PHP again.

They don't know how to use it properly.

>have done tens of thousands of lines of programming in both
Doubt.
You have no idea.
You didn't have the decency to _at least_ take a look at php7 vs nodejs performance tests from internet idiots.

When PHP is faster than node.js, it's only slightly faster.
When Node.js is faster than PHP, it's often 5-10x faster.
>benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=php&lang2=node

It's a good language.

It's easy to use and tolerant with fuckups. It runs from top to bottom at a tolerable speed. But node just lets you do so much more due to its nonblocking nature.

Which country?

Pakistan

Inconsistent
Terrible syntax
Terrible hacks on top of hacks on top of patches on top of hacks, making almost every function in the STL have about 5 different variants
Leads to buggy and messy code
Hard to maintain, hard to debug, hard to reason about
Unsafe

My own humble opinion why people hate PHP is because it's not a 'declarative language' but an imperative one - meaning if you've ever spent time minutes trying to read someone elses PHP you want to kill yourself after 10mins, because it far less readable. But i think PHP is great, Laravel is a strong framework, I still use it because it's easy to use out of the box.

However the world now loves JS for absolutely everything and while its nice to think only in JS for full stack, you cant use JS out of the box anymore!! So much fiddling around with your dev dependencies and environment, e.g. transpliing, linting before you can do a damn anything. I started a project from scratch the other day took us three hours to decide on everything, what framework, dependencies, environment, it's too much for a stupid simple web app. Not good when you're senior dev carrying others, including 'diversity' hires. I am 'falling down' oldfag expecting to be axed any day.

That doesn't mean Django, Node or Rails or Asp get the job done quicker and with a lot more options of efficient and up to date libraries. Most PHP libraries are crap from WordPress era...

Inb4 racist comments from butthurts

people hate php as it makes back-end dev easy enough that a middleschool student can create somehing as advanced as Jow Forums with little to no difficulty.
Most people in programming don't want their job replaced, so they spread these memes that php is bad so noone would use it

>slightly faster.
2.63 vs 4.22
41 vs 61
12 vs 16
0.12 vs Error

All I see is that the benchmarks are half and half and probably implementation dependent.
The one thing that is sure is that nodejs needs a shitload of memory.
now check this thinkmobiles.com/blog/php-vs-nodejs/
>As you can see PHP is faster than Node.js in:
>
> Concatenation of strings
> Filling array
> Filling associative array
> Reading the file
> MySQL query
>Node.js is faster than PHP only in adding numbers.
and bellow that
>Nginx 11.7 + PHP 7.1.1 FPM vs Node.js
> PHP + Nginx – 32 ms
> NodeJS – 200 ms

>slightly

>racist comments from butthurts
Being from pakistan gives others... butthurts.

DELET

Node.js is a fucking single threaded event loop. Who in their right mind would host something on something so fragile where your whole server would go down, all connections dropped because of an unhandled exception is beyond me.

PHP 7 is great. Frameworks like Laravel make it even more so. It's blows the fuck out of Node.js in terms of performance. nginx proxy caching and server load balancing is awesome. There's really no reason not to use PHP other than for small node.js projects.

>thinkmobiles.com/blog/php-vs-nodejs/
I saw that.
Doesn't mean shit. They're doing things wrong to make JS slower.
Like in one case, they keep increasing the size of an array, which is heavy in JS, when they already know how large the array needs to be and should have made it that size at the start. Fucking retards like you.

This is over fucking 3 times faster. This would make it drop to half the time in php.
Like actually kill yourself if you're this stupid to not see how bad their "muh performance benchmark" is.
The only way you can truly measure performance between languages, with wildly different features, is to make two compareable apps with high tier programmers of each. If you think it's all down to certain array and math function speeds, you're an idiot. JS applications are often faster than C++ applications due to features of JS that would take a lot of work to implement and optimize in C++ applications (like object proxies, and optimizations that the VM does).

Fact is that apps written in node.js, like ghost, are faster than ones written in php like wordpress and drupal.
Fact is that almost every major tech companies like Google, MS, Netflix, and so on use nodejs instead of php, despite them being about equally easy to make an application with.

Attached: chrome_2018-04-15_10-06-45.png (1582x356, 46K)

>drops to half the time compared to php*
Their JS example was 41.42ms average on my machine compared to 87.262ms on their slower machine. So my machine is double twice as fast.
But my correctly written example is 11.97ms, so on their machine it'd probably be around 25ms, which is twice as fast as their PHP.

Worth noting that on Mozilla's VM instead of Google's, their example is also about 3x faster anyway, so faster than PHP.
Shit's cherrypicking and meaningless, though, because you can look at webapps written in php and node.js and see that the node.js ones both handle more users, are more responsive, and are more feature rich. Oh, and more fucking secure.

One of the biggest bullshits they're doing is not counting the execution overhead of initiating php while node.js runs as a daemon, too. This is huge.

>if you've ever spent time minutes trying to read someone elses PHP you want to kill yourself after 10mins, because it far less readable

yep. my complaint is more basic. i still can't get over having to shift + 4 every time i want to create a variable. one could easily implement interpolation without requiring that the dollar sign precede the variable in declaration or assignment.

//ideal:
i = 3;
echo "value of i: $i.";
echo "dollar sign: \$";

This EFFICIENT son of a bitch is STREAMLINING back-end development daily, and basically, you are fucking stupid

how do you explain the slower file reading then

People hate PHP because 80% of websites use it. It's the easiest language to setup and you can embed PHP code in HTML. That means that a lot of people write PHP, including the unskilled ones.

PHP 7 is a good language. It's fast enough that it doesn't matter. Your first bottleneck is going to be your database. Laravel is the best web framework out there, it has more features than Rails. For 99% of projects you dont need horizontal scaling and simple PHP/Laravel/MySQL btfo anything out there.

Javascript is worse language than PHP. Class keyword is a hack around prototypal inheritance, bitwise operators are useless and same goes for with keyword. Too many places to shoot yourself in the foot.

Regarding code quality, imagine bunch of front end dev, jquery users, writing server side code. It's worse than the old PHP. Not to mention that in most cases MySQL is better than MongoDB, default db choices for each language.

Javascript ecosystem has nice things like Meteor, V8 engine is fast and it's nice to use the same language for frontend and backend.

>they keep increasing the size of an array, which is heavy in JS, when they already know how large the array needs to be
js developers...
that's a scenario where you increase the array size.
If you make false assumptions for the test, why don't you just create an array of 1 million 's' beforehand since you "know" the size and the "result".
>JS applications are often faster than C++ applications
ok you are just stupid.

>cherrypicking
how is cherrypicking when you test the most obvious operations that the language targets.
db i/o, string manipulation, memory footprint, file manipulation, e.t.c.?

Wrong.

PHP is server side and has many vulnerable and economic pitfalls. vs JavaScript run on the user side is more cost-effective and less vulnerable server side since the JS output is being fed to tthe server side instead of conditions and values.

Attached: 1523671034214-pol.gif (427x240, 1.67M)

It's just like JS and Perl had a baby. Go figure.

es6 is the most out of the box friendly version of Javascript. you don't even need jquery

so you are meaning to tell us, that php produces code that costs you money and has security holes. Then you tell us that it's vulnerable to talk to some php backend and several other funny things.
That's why you can't have a talk about programming with people who haven't written at least C in CS101.
Idiots are talking about security and code safety and they don't have unsigned numbers. How the fuck do you know if an index or iterator has an accepted number?
You don't.
OTOH the JS shitty ecosystem is unstable. Libraries, frameworks, e.t.c. are dying every 1-2 years and the whole development is driven only by trends.
Let's use X because is the hot potato right now. A few months later, X is dead.

And ofc for that one that mentioned google and others who use serverside JS... have you ever considered how many projects has been scrapped by google and other "devs" or how messy their apis are and unstable? Are those companies setting a paradigm? No, they have clueless devs who are spitting out code without worrying about quality and longevity.

>imperative one - meaning if you've ever spent time minutes trying to read someone elses PHP you want to kill yourself
you want to kys because you cannot read code.
JS and PHP have almost the same programming paradigms.
JS is not declarative. It becomes somewhat declarative is you shit one of those frameworks on it.

love how you got btfo but still show your face namefagging

Well no. Perl 6 is actually good compared to Perl Classic

Well you are just saying what everyone in the industry are thinking. Companies want to fork the bill on the client end to fork out support and all security responsibility at ever corner.

Perl 6 is like C++ and Perl had a baby.

> It used to be 20x slower than node.js, but now days I guess newer versions are closer to 5-10x slower, but still much slower.

[Citation Needed]

Also

> node.js
> performance

Backend JS is only a proof of double digit IQ.

>It becomes somewhat declarative is you shit one of those frameworks on it.

precisely, frameworks like React, allows you to write in a declarative manner, meaning your code is more 'descriptive' about what it should 'look like', as opposed to imperative i.e. 'this is what it should do'.Which is a bonus for the next person who comes along to read your code because it's then easy to read.

>JS and PHP have almost the same programming paradigms.

Yes PHP & JS are similar paradigm, but you write PHP in an imperative manner but that's what it is.

See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages_by_type#Imperative_languages

Now apologise or Brendan Eich will haunt your dreams...

PHP doesnt even implement the http stack correctly. No serious company would ever use php, for anything beyond startup phase, actually nowadays i dont even think a startup would touch php with a ten feed pole.

I only care about speed. PHP beats all of those. Only golang is a decent contender to PHP.

PHP scales like shit. Besides if you really care about speed that much you'd be stupid not to use cgi

Any good cgi toots you can point me to?

I would much rather spend some more time and money to make my service run more server-side, so on the client-side even the weakest system won't have trouble using my service. Stop being a jew and off-loading all the work to the client-side system.