Redpill me on Riot.im

I'm going to convince my friends to migrate on Riot.
Is this the best IM?

IMO: Riot>XMPP clients>Tox>Signal>Wire>Telegram>WhatsApp>Discord

Attached: riot-im-logo-1.png (480x480, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

securemessagingapps.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers
privacytools.io/#voip
about.riot.im/riot-is-free/
github.com/vector-im/riot-web
github.com/vector-im/riot-android
github.com/vector-im/riot-ios
github.com/matrix-org/synapse
pidgin.im
eff.org/node/82654
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>US honeypot that requires a phone number over Wire

>Redpill me on
Stopped reading right there.

Yes its the best by far.
Kys shill. It doesn't need a phone number.

It's best for privacy/features if you host your own server.

Shut your whore month.
>inb4 hurr-durr windows

Attached: Screenshot_20180415-112441.png (2968x3600, 460K)

don't have experience with hosting my own server yet, wonder how well RPi3 can handle that
1:1 chat, chat rooms, correspondence, group video calls = all I want and Riot has that
imho Matrix is comfier protocol than XMPP and plaintext Matrix without encryption is comfier than IRC

We are talking about why Riot is better than the others. You can disregard OP's stupid list.

>Talking about riot
>I don't like riot so u r dump op
>her profs
>Posts screenshots of signal

Retard.

He's talking about OP's retarded list claiming Signal is better than Wire

It's fine, but the official servers will become pay to use by the end of the year in some cases.

>the official servers will become pay to use by the end of the year in some cases
Source?

Signal > Wire per security and privacy reasons,
but whatever, they both good alternatives, as they completely Open-Source,
not like Wickr

Signal - "Does the app encrypt metadata? = YES"
Wire - "Does the app encrypt metadata? = MOSTLY"
source: securemessagingapps.com/

Signal - "Does the company log timestamps/IP addresses? = NO"
Wire - "Does the company log timestamps/IP addresses? = SOME"
source: securemessagingapps.com/

Signal - "Profile information = STORED; CLIENT-SIDE ENCRYPTED"
Wire - "Profile information = STORED; NOT CLIENT-SIDE ENCRYPTED"
source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers

Signal - "Chat metadata = NOT STORED"
Wire - "Chat metadata = STORED"
source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers

Signal - "Profile information = NOT STORED"
Wire - "Contact lists = STORED"

"Wire - Caution: The company keeps a list of all the users you contact until you delete your account."
source: privacytools.io/#voip

P.S. If you care about needing phone number to register, just get free pre-paid even internet one and forget about it.

ring
/thread

Wire requires a phone if you register via an app and not desktop. So there's that.

about.riot.im/riot-is-free/
>Riot is free
>No limits on features, group size or usage for public and private rooms
>Paid hosting plans coming soon.

So register on the desktop or using the browser.

Pic related is from the site, they're both pretty much identical. I wouldn't use anything that needs a phone number, so I personally am against Signal. Nor would I use anything closed source (threema/wickr).

Attached: Comparison of IMs.png (827x560, 104K)

The Matrix protocol is really neat, but Riot is a bloated memory hog

Not only that but riot is not private at all. Matrix is good but riot is shit

Ironically, the main benefit of using riot is that you're not tied down to riot. Since it uses matrix, any compatible client can be used (though, not that many yet). Not to mention they're trying to bridge as many protocols as they can.

You can actually have a room containing a friend that uses IRC, a friend uses slack and all three of you can chat with each other.

In what place riot is not open source?

The server

That’s literally the case too with XMPP. You cannot get more secure than a self hosted XMPP server with OTP.
I don’t know why would anyone who is not a filthy shill would ever put riot over XMPP

>OTP
I meant OTR obviously. Been doing a bit too much Erlang lately so I mixed up the names

doesn't Riot uses just regular Matrix server?

RIOT is literally a fucking matrix client, their Server code is available on github

Not sure what server you're talking about, i'm literally running my own instance of matrix-synapse server right now.

That aside, despide my love for matrix, i don't like Riot app's permissions hunger. F-droid also reports that the app collects data about the user someway, not sure what's that about yet

could be some machine fingerprinting for those Riot's permissions?

The Riot server is closed source, nobody is talking about a matrix server here.
>their Server code is available on github
It's not.
>my own instance of matrix-synapse
Matrix is open source, the actual riot server isn't. Matrix != riot server.

Good luck having Normie's switch. The client is shit, the phone client is even worse, and the server is so badly written that there are regular federation issues and lag that can go up to 30-40 minutes, hours on bridges.

That website is out of date and EFF said to not rely on it.

>it's nothing
Probably just paid plans for high bandwidth jitsi plans for big videoconferencing

OTR is deprecated.

There's not riot server you retard. There's matrix.org and vector.im.

Take Tox off that list

Thanks friendo :)

Refer to
>securemessagingapps.com/
>you can email [email protected]. Word your email in a polite manner, and I’ll respond.
, retard.

What the fuck are you on about you idiot? There's no riot server. Are you trying to shift blame to not seem retarded? You're talking about something and don't even know what the fuck is going on, just leave now.

>matrix and riot are confused
>riot is literally a shitty web app for matrix with a gui

You need to kill yourself shill

Stop replying with shitposts, cunts.

>shitpost
>stop informing people of how corrupt all the candidate are.

Fuck off

this itself is false
matrix is a protocol specification, riot is an implementation of the client specification of the protocol

Dude, cmon...

github.com/vector-im/riot-web
github.com/vector-im/riot-android
github.com/vector-im/riot-ios

>get called out on being a fucking retard
>s-stop it you guys ;_;

>github
Where's the server?

THERE IS NO RIOT SERVER YOU FUCKING BRAINDEAD RETARD

>there is no server
False

You're just baiting, right? You can't be that stupid.

>where is web server for that web page with bunch of javascript
user, you scaring me. Just use whatever web server you want

the "default server" when registering on Riot.im is matrix.org which runs Synapse

Distributed history sync that actually works, individual read receipts, push notifications on mobile, including iOS, dead simple open source server that includes all the features that matrix supports instead of hiding them behind a wall of convoluted XEPs and setup, continuous, active development by a group of friendly, wicked smart devs. Matrix is XMPP done right.

Matrix.org is heavily overloaded. Run your own server and messages are instantaneous.

>
>
>>github
>Where's the server?

github.com/matrix-org/synapse

Right here?

Been running it on my own server for over a year. Has always been and will always be completely open source

Good luck telling Stacy to host her own server, and even then there has been federation issues all week.

But that's not the riot server :^)

No, go away normie.

Riot is a frontend for Matrix and Matrix is open source.

I'm gonna assume your face means you're poking fun at the retards that keep fucking saying that.

Just a little clarification: synapse is a homeserver which runs on server side, riot is chat application which runs on your browser which gets it by http

Sure. Ideally you'd have a super pushy technical friend that would have already done that. Honestly though, even getting past the server hosting issue, the client(s) (riot desktop/web/Android/iOS) *are* kinda crap still. They've come a long way in the past year, but they're still clearly made by engineers. Awful UX. Luckily, the matrix team got 5 mil in funding recently and are hiring actual full time UX and mobile devs to hopefully remedy that situation moving forward. If Riot (or whatever the new client of the future may be called) gets the same polish as say, Telegram, I will have no qualms recommending it to my family.

But how can you be sure that they're not running a modified matrix server? :^)

why does it matter? the security model of matrix protocol counts with malicious nodes

Correct. But this thing people keep referring to as "the riot server" is a clearly misinformed question, or straight up trolling. It's like asking "YEAH BUT WHERE IS THE PIDGIN SERVER" when talking about pidgin.im

I don't get it. That securemessaging website is misinformed on a ton of levels. It's like they didn't even try to research before making it.

I don't care what they run? For the same reason I could run my own XMPP server and not care about the server that Google runs (or used to run). Or email. I think you need to read up on what federation is.

It doesn't matter if you use encryption. Matrix it's just a database for messages responsible for storing and syncing data across servers. Beside, there is mechanisms for protecting even unecrypted data from falsification or alternating, so other homeservers will reject invalid data.

>That website is out of date and EFF said to not rely on it.
Which one? Wiki or securemessagingapps.com/ ?

securemessagingapps.com/
is not
eff.org/node/82654
which EFF doesn't update anymore

or I'm missing sth