Blog

>love low level shit
>x86, ARM, PPC assembly, writing kernel drivers, computer graphics, high performance computation, concurrent programming, the works
>SoCal, been a passion of mines ever since the GBA days hacking games with gameshark and learning hexadecimal and learning how the gameboy as a whole works and writing my own "cheats"
>Teach myself C#, C++, C, Assembly from middle school to high school
>been pretty much alone in my passions growing up.
>The most I'd ever meet in person are the "I wanna make a blockchain MMO that's like uber but-" soyboy indian people that are evident in any programmer scene
>everyone i met was generally doing simpler stuff in python and visual basic and javascript and such, which is fine i guess, never related to them
>go to college, same shit
>everyone is a fucking webdev or appdev learning java or javascript and making "million dollar apps" or doing frontend/backend shit in angular and node.js and all that soy fuckery
>doing C and C++ and assembly projects, some javascript and C# and python shit here and there to keep my skillset mixed up. still loved C and C++.
>graduating soon
>everyone has fucking CIT and webdev and appdev shit lined up
>looking for jobs to line up when i graduate
>fucking everyone in SoCal wants appdevs and webdevs
>"junior developer" in C or C++ and embedded and all the shit I do is basically nonexistant
>have loads of personal projects in graphics and optimizations
>go to job career fairs, pass my resume around to people like intel and nvidia
>get my resume peer reviewed by people, told its strong and how it clearly shows I have a passion
>nothing promising, no calls back
>all the appdev and webdev people are getting jobs and shit at startups lined up
>every job listing i find is just apps and webdev or wants 9+ years of experience
>i should have just been a fucking javascript webdev/appdev soyboy
>prob gonna an hero before the end of the year

I should have just gone soy

Attached: rei.jpg (500x667, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018#top-paying-technologies
hk.jobsdb.com/
imgur.com/a/uDr8G
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018#top-paying-technologies

>C and C++ didn't even make the list

just go soy

rust

>prob gonna an hero before the end of the year
Don't you are valuable resource to humanity. As for your dilemma, keep looking. Try defense contractors, they need people like you.

SoCal is literally a soy hive

you'll have to go soy there just so survive

Attached: 1523709372071.png (500x500, 192K)

>Don't you are valuable resource to humanity.
not according to

You're not looking well enough, Apple was hiring junior C++ devs last I checked.

Those """""""""""""""coders""""""""""""""""" are of little value. Who designs the platforms that they're using? People like OP. I'm honestly surprised that in SoCal he can't find a job that would make him truckloads of money.

get into infosec (tool development), you'll love it.

theres tons of low-level jobs in singapore and hongkong, I was applying through: hk.jobsdb.com/

>op: i cant find jobs in Socal
>this guy: move to fucking china

>everyone around me learning tech stacks in line with market demand
>i decide i'm to smart for that
>graduate and can't get a job
>f-fucking s-soy

What have you actually made? You listed nothing.

Are you making like fucking drivers? Maybe you should have tried to get noticed at one of those Rasberry pi knockoffs.

t. webdev

isnt all that stuff just pretty much up there with electrical engineering.

Go to China. They still require real programmers.

Apply to meme-IOT companies. They need low level code monkeys to develop their kickstarter crap.

sorry man EE and embedded stuff is dying out, my dad is in EE and he talks about how these jobs are being farmed out and dying. Go into low level parallel programming or something like that, you get to write for specific hardware like you like and jobs are abundant and pay well.

he's a weeb anyway, china is like poormans japan.

op, did you consider japan?

isnt the work ethic entirely different in japan

hows shit like there.

Is there more of this?

>sorry man EE and embedded stuff is dying out, my dad is in EE and he talks about how these jobs are being farmed out and dying
>tfw studying EE
DELETE THIS

Attached: 1432847736231.png (1070x601, 463K)

My job is low level windows debugging in C++ and C#. Keep looking lad.

I'll never tell where ;)

nice trap rei, didnt read your post tho cuz I'm a phoneposter consumer. Hopefully you can provide sauce to rei btw

Man, just try any field that requires high performance and like, oil&gas, industrial, military, airforce, uni, auto, whatever, don't give up or we'll have kernels written in javascript as standard in the next 15 years after some rainbow colored faggot with hurt feefees kills Linus

Work on the Linux kernel and receive donations from companies.

>I'm to smart
>To
>Smart

Well, my story is the reverse of yours, goes something like this:
>Been interested in computers, but especially the web since youth.
>No degree, two "nanodegrees" from Udacity, one for Android and the other front end web
>Know JavaScript for web and Java for Android
> Personal projects are essentially all web apps
>Live in a european country where the main tech employers are industrial behemoths like Siemens and Bosch who employ only embedded devs
>Trying to get a job for a year but they either want a degree or knowledge of C/assembly and so on

It's all a matter of perspective.
Anyway, move to Shenzhen, that's where it's at from this point of view. Silicon valley lost interest in hardware a long time ago.

I was a kid like you once, OP. I had a similar problem, too. I solved it by working on a big company's C++ open-source project for a while, which led to them inviting me to an interview. Got the job, and spent 8 years working on that same project before I got sick of the soy culture and quit. This path works for any good+/great hacker.

>kernels written in javascript

imagine actually debugging that

Xue Fei
imgur.com/a/uDr8G

Don't be ridiculous. Somebody has to do the low level shit that everything else runs on. The webdev and appdev people won't be the ones doing that, so you have less competition. Your skills are highly valuable. If all you find are webdev and appdev, you're looking in the wrong places.

He's not your dad and he's wrong

Much appreciated.

>learning shit nobody needs or wants anymore
>"gibe moni plos"

That's why you're supposed to start making contacts as soon as you get started at university. References are surprisingly important when you're trying to get hired at big companies.

Also, if you have webdev stuff all over the place you're probably not going to a very good school and should probably have bailed pretty early on and gone to a more engineering focused school rather than a long and expensive coding boot camp.

I do understand your pain as I found myself in a somewhat similar situation due to focusing myself in a somewhat similar way (C/C++ with a master's projects in GPGPU compute) and having a hard time finding a job after graduating due to similar reasons. Also had a major tech employer do two massive layoffs of mostly C/C++ devs within the year of me graduating so I eventually (4 months after starting the job hunt proper) found myself at a semi-startup company with two other people laid off from this big company.

Eventually got laid off when the semi-startup's parent company went belly up, but about a week ago I did get hired for a job that almost exactly fits my background and skills. Thus my advice is to just bear with it and not to expect much of your first job after graduating. If you can do well in that job and get some good references it becomes way easier to get a the kind of job you want to after that. My boss at the company I got laid off from was happy to act as a reference for me and had a pretty impressive LinkedIn resume (loads of high-up management jobs).

Why not go work for Apple on LLVM stuff? I know a few people that do that and they love it.

dont give up, look for entry level embedded c positions. You might have to move though, its a very small job pool compared to other positions

C guy here ask any questions

>sorry man EE and embedded stuff is dying out
Proofs???

Idk about EE but look for Embedded Engineer Stuff on indeed compared to Java or webdev.
Also alot of search results that come up for embedded are not actually embedded

>can't get job at intel
>can't even get shitty paid vidya job
>doesn't know a dozen programming languages before his 20th birthday
you're shit
you're fucking shit

he should try flipping burgers or picking strawberries

he ate our valuable food, he has to pay it back

So just soy then

There are so many devs out there without work because they think that the prereqs are a checklist of must haves and not what they really are--an employer purposefully wishing way too high so he can get someone who will meet more realistic expectations.

Don't apply for junior developer, and don't expect to ever fill the prereq skills of the job listing. You just need to show the aptitude to learn those new skills quickly, and you'll stand a shot.

Apply to 10 jobs a week (and find a sentence or two of your cover letter to make specific to the company and job your applying for).

And if you really want to webdev then join a fucking bootcamp or take some JS, ES6, Node, Express and React courses on Udemy.

>2018 is the year that programming is reduced to scripting

>tfw C#/Java brainlet
>tfw im gonna make it on top anyways

Move out of CA then faggot or look harder. Government and military stuff are going to be the main hiring forces for embedded. So if you're a poo in loo you're out of luck there. Also look for FPGA stuff.