/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/Xn5kZYex

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: Just fucking buy HD800s.

Previous thread:

Attached: the best headphone.jpg (597x597, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Skullcandy-Headset-SMSLFY-205-not-machine-specific/dp/B009RXUNZI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523792499&sr=8-2&keywords=skullcandy ps4
amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA
amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Portable-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42/
amazon.com/CORSAIR-HS50-Certified-Headphones-Nintendo/dp/B0764MRM34
youtube.com/watch?v=zJxxcYxaVqY
verumsonus.com/monoprice-m1060-review/
youtu.be/TlZJjH9pQWs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

floor user is a faggot

HD800 is unbeatable

I've owned these headphones for the past 4 years and I love the shit out of them. I have it paired with an SMSL sAp II.

I've always wanted to hear what tube amps sound like though, any suggestions?

Attached: hd598.jpg (1215x1500, 175K)

lol

Why the fuck are you guys buying DACs?

Don't. Tube amps are an audiophile meme. There is 0 reason to get one. If you absolutely need to get one then you should look for recommendations somewhere else.

Why the fuck are you still alive, you sad failure?

because we have money
go back to your SHP9500S, poorfag.

>not using your motherboard audio
Audiophile faggots aren't welcome in here, go post your audio enhancing crystals elsewhere.

Attached: user-20-profile_photo.jpg (205x205, 9K)

>not using helium tank to kill yourself
NEETs who want to die but don't have guts to do it are now welcome in here.

>Don't. Tube amps are an audiophile meme.
So what you're saying is they're outdated and just recommended because of vintage appeal?

Yes, tube amps are recommended purely by people who measure "by ear". Proper amplifiers should have low noise, low output impedance, be efficient and most importantly not change how your headphones sound, so frequency response line should be flat. Tube amps are ancient technology that actually does opposite, they change how your headphones sound, well at least some do and it also depends on what lamp you end up using.
Some people in audio community believe in pairing tube amps with certain headphones, and they are free to do so, but there is no science behind it, it's their subjective opinion based on their (often flawed) hearing.
If you want to try it, you are free to do so, but tube amps are really unpopular here and you will not get much help.

That's a pretty reasonable and well-rounded post, it usually boils down to taste and what you're used to.

What's your favorite headphone and amp so far?

Attached: 1519268006164.jpg (600x792, 100K)

I'm using HD600 with aune x1s. It's alright, I'm probably going to ditch aune once topping comes out with some decent amp. I'm using aune purely because it was the only decently priced neutral dac/amp combo unit where I live. I would prefer something like the element but this shit is 400 eur in yurop.

hi sapphire, not shitposting today ?

I have no idea who sapphire is, but you should probably go back to red dit, or whatever place you came from. Maybe you can have a conversation with that sapphire guy there.

not knowing sapphire betrays you as the plebbitor because he's infamous on /hpg/. Not surprised yet another hd600 poster would turn out to be like this.

Or maybe I just don't care about your dumb cult, faggot? Not everyone comes here to fling shit around, like you.

floor user and d2girls > maki user and atticus user

I wanna lick his feet.

I want atticus user to choke me with his bulky arms while he forces me to hear his high THD woodcup t50rps

My computer isn't grounded so when I'm playing games, I get a bit of a static sound on my headphones. Would a dac/amp fix it?

most likely yes

As long as it's not use powered, yes. Just make sure that DAC section is not use powered either, like in case of O2+ODAC. Or maybe consider UPS?

>floor user
caught posting with different personas after all his posts got deleted in a /hpg/ thread where he spammed too much and 50 posts out of 330 disappeared. He's not as inoffensive as people thought because among the deleted messages were some of the most inflammatory. One of the biggest shitposter around.
>d2girls
Doesn't own headphones, post in an headphone thread.

What the fuck I typed use powered twice. It' was supposed to be usb powered.

No one is better than maki user. Especially not d2girls.
Peace of mind is part of it but I had some issues with how one dac paired with my amp. There was very clearly audible distortion(or something) when things peaked. I don't know what caused it but since I got a new dac it doesn't happen anymore.

Attached: b6647aad1bcedb1a0c1b917f37d225b7.jpg (2282x1284, 1.64M)

Anyone try the ISK MDH8500? Looks like an obvious beyerdynamic ripoff but still seems great. Wondering how sturdy it is though.

are these good?
amazon.com/Skullcandy-Headset-SMSLFY-205-not-machine-specific/dp/B009RXUNZI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523792499&sr=8-2&keywords=skullcandy ps4

>im literally retarded and i dont understand how electronic circuitry and DAC chips work

>Budget
300-400€
>Location
Spain
>Source
Fiio Olympus 2
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Above average, possibly changeable pads because the velours on the X2 are a pain in the ass to clean
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Pic related, the M50 were okay but I had to change the pads for velour ones because I was sweating way too much, the X2 are much better in my opinion sound-wise but they're getting rusty for some reason, and the pads are turning into garbage after a few years of use, I can find replacements where I live.

Attached: nobullypls.jpg (1000x1000, 400K)

No, absolutely not. Buy a creative aurvana live! or SHP9500 and a samson go mic if you want something good.
amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA
amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Portable-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42/
If you're looking for the cheapest possible thing that gets the job done I suggest this although god knows how it'll perform for music, probably better than what you're used to if you're thinking about buying skullcandy amazon.com/CORSAIR-HS50-Certified-Headphones-Nintendo/dp/B0764MRM34

Attached: ew.jpg (850x1112, 139K)

Stretch budget for a sundara or just go with the hd600/650/6xx

the fuck is Zyklon

I can have a pair of hd600 for 280€, I guess I'll go with that, thanks user

youtube.com/watch?v=zJxxcYxaVqY

You can get k712 pro, k702, X2s, beyers etc for cheap af in europe
why would you pick that?

Attached: 1520282367512.png (1096x640, 145K)

A relatively harmless delousing agent.

I don't know any of these headphones, I'll look into them as well, thanks

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Excellent advice.

Attached: 1495369640927.png (1280x720, 973K)

my favourite deoderant

>HD600
The right choice, when you can afford them.
>X2, k702, etc.
Less neutral. Cmpromise choices.

Remember to clean your headphones!

Attached: dirty.jpg (1531x861, 156K)

yes, you are if you buy dacs.

price to performance matters more for the average consumer
in europe hd600 is a shit unless you know exactly what you want and are ok with overpaying
im pretty sure this guy doesn't know what he wants since he hasnt even heard of the other options
my advice to is to research more yourself and find what you like based on preference, maybe try some in a physical store or something if u get the chance
neutrality isnt always better in headphones, some people want nicer highs or better bass, maybe more soundstage, better build quality/comfort, matched drivers etc etc.

>I was drawn to seminar given by Sean Olive an acoustic research fellow for Harman International. The discussion was about what makes a good headphone and in ear monitor. I interviewed him about the new Harman curve, and the future of headphones, and a discussion on correlation between dollars spent and sound quality. The headphone that achieved a perfect frequency response against the Harman curve was an 80 dollar Sony headphone, a surprising factoid.
>The headphone that achieved a perfect frequency response against the Harman curve was an 80 dollar Sony headphone.
Bow down to the King! The headphone perfected!

Attached: headphoneus superius.jpg (2000x1333, 181K)

Hey cutie get the hd 600. Its comfy and won't make you sweat. *kisses you*

oops i meant to reply to

>some people want nicer highs or better bass,
>pick based on preference
Terrible advice.
Everybody prefers V-shaped with an untrained ear, trying briefly in a shop.
Proper research done by Harman, however, shows how everybody actually prefers neutral given proper testing.
>in europe hd600 is a shit
No, it's not. None of the headphones you suggested hold a candle to it.

Any of you guys own top notch stuff and chink shit? How do they compare?

I'm pretty sure headphones that cost over 300 bucks sound better, but when I compare 10-20 bucks chink IEMs with 50-100 ones from my friends, theirs usually pale.

best headphones to use in bed when hung over?

You could also get the monolith m1060

It doesn't have changeable pads but comfort was something that was praaised in almost every review.

And theyre almost as good as audeze lcds

How do I clean my pads properly? I'm disgusted by myself for using my headphones like that.

Attached: 153827.jpg (1300x975, 251K)

Yeah v shaped headphones sound great when you try them out but when you get them home, a few hours into your listening session, it's like fuck just kill me where are my sennheisers

You can clean the X2 pads though, they are velour.
Just remove them and place them in a container with warm water and some soap or something then let it dry.
Anyway if you raise the price by like 100 euro you can get dt1990, shure srh1540 which are one step above what the others are recommending.

holy shit please be bait
I actually owned these headphones. I bought them to try out the $300 lcd2 claims. They were actually a worse listen than apple ear pods. No one should have to buy them again now that I have and can share just horrible they are.
The upper mid range sounds like a gravatronic black hole powered space ship in a laser battle.
Distortion fucking everywhere.
Every single common mod does literally nothing to help the distortion.
Oh and hopefully you wont get one actually covered in mold.
DO NOT EVER BUY THE M1060, OR ANYTHING FROM MONORPICE EXCEPT MAYBE AMPS

Attached: stockfuzzor.jpg (4032x2268, 1.34M)

That's for speakers not headphones.
Neutral doesn't mean better in headphones.
HD600 lack bass and highs anyway.

Stop trying to fit in with the M1060 hate

THe hd600 and hd650 are incredible but I will say that if you listen to music like drum and bass or that new wave 80s stuff thats all sub bass they may not be a good pick.
I actually did buy them and am not exaggerating how bad they are. Pic is from last year

Attached: current-headphones.jpg (1232x921, 819K)

Why did you buy both the M1060 and the M560, you absolute idiot.

>Proper research done by Harman, however, shows how everybody actually prefers neutral given proper testing.
Don't fucking quote things you don't understand you stupid loser. If you understood anything about Harman research you'd understand your HD600 doesn't fit anywhere near it. The harman target curve for headphones promotes a much larger bass boost than your paltry headphone. Also the harman curve is a preference curve and all their research points at varying levels of preference for the -amount- of bass and treble in headphones that can change from age groups to gender, with women like you especially liking headphones with no bass and no treble.

To demo them. I returned both.
No one should ever buy either of those headphones.

Attached: soyboy.png (1213x688, 185K)

> am not exaggerating how bad they are

>>worse listen than apple ear pods
>>Distortion fucking everywhere

None of what you're saying is true. M1060s were overhyped due to the price but they're still perfectly fine headphones.
Spouting the "controversial" hate on headphones that are already recognized as overhyped by claiming retarded untrue things just makes you look like a retard as well.

AHAHHAHAHHA

>they're still perfectly fine headphones.
Manufactured by people who don't even know how to avoid mold. There's so many reports of mold it's not just some rare occurrence. You are pathetic, there is no hate campaign or attempt to fit in when the goal is to help poorfags not waste their money on utter garbage.

They are not perfectly fine. Any vocals that get anywhere near high pitched sounded incredibly bad on them. There is this point in their frequency response that, when it's loud enough, just sounds like this horrible sci-fi like sound.
They were utterly unlistenable or I would have talked myself into keeping them.
I found someone else who got their pair like a week after I got my pair and we traded songs that would trigger this problem. We both returned them.
They are not perfectly fine.

The take-home.
>More research is needed to confirm this

Sennheiser users confirmed for sissies

Attached: soy goy.png (501x504, 18K)

>issues with shipping or storing the headphones prove how bad the audio quality is
yeah ok buddy.

You keep claiming these things that no reviewers or people measuring the audio quality can hear. I can't guess your motivation to bash these headphones other than to be edgy, but you still make yourself look like a retard in any case.

Never reply to my or my son's posts again.

>that no reviewers or people measuring the audio quality can hear.
verumsonus.com/monoprice-m1060-review/
Wrong.

I don't really care about your opinion of me but suggesting that these headphones are anything but unlistenable is wrong and misleading.
You can check the THD to see the utter disaster that is the midrange. I'm not even talking about the 5k ringing.
I found someone else who had the same problem a week after I got them. I made a comment on one of DMS TV(really the reason people own these are him and zeos) explaining why they are unlistenable and he said while his didn't do it he's heard many people saying the same thing.
It's a QC issue. Maybe some don't have the ear rape glare in the upper mids, but some do and it's a total gamble.
They are not perfectly fine and if anyone is retarded here it's you with your low quality bait.

And there you go posting the exact same single article by the original ow-the-edge reviewer that's posted everywhere as a "rebuttal".

Go back to plebbit, you proved my point already

>Overall, I think the stock M1060 Monoprice is a rather mediocre headphone, not just compared to the best flagship headphones, but even within its own price range. The Sennheiser HD580/6X0 series has more natural tone, the Beyerdynamic DT880 may be a bit too bright for some, but excluding the treble spike, it sounds more even. The Fostex T50RP may be less technically impressive, but there are many available mods that are much easier to listen to than the M1060
Guy hates beyer treble, would still recommend beyer over the monomeme. That really speaks volumes on how bad those headphones are.

Stop trying to fit in by hating on reddit.

Motherboard audio is shit. Maybe not the specs necessarily but with decent headphones the electrical interference is far too noisy. Playing games and watching Youtube videos is painful because of GPU noise, I actually had to downgrade my headphones until I can afford a new DAC/AMP. Was thinking about RMAing my headphones until I tested on my phone and a CD player and they sounded fine.

"The reviewer is edgy because he prefers nice dynamics to shitty budget planars with zero QC, shit build and gargantuan amount of THD and ringing which wouldn't be acceptable even on a $100 headphone."

The M1060 is one meme that absolutely must die. They're barely cheaper than a used he500.

Jesus christ that's disgusting. I used a nitrile glove to scrub off the shit, it doesn't stick to the glove so thats perfect.

i mean how? do you place them in dirt?
do you not shower?

Monoprice in general just needs to fucking sod off. There was never any reason for a $100 amp to have 10 ohm output impedance either.
Their budget stuff only have the appearance of a bargain. They're no bargain and no top performers even in their own price points.

Really? Tell me more.

Attached: Preferred Loudspeaker and Headphone Target.png (1271x698, 195K)

>expecting senshills to actually read and understand the sources they use to shill the hd600
>hilarity ensues when their own sources just shit all over their pet headphone

Depends on the Mobo ofc but on-board measures better than schiit products.

Mobo audio, phone audio is made by successful professional enginering companies while schiit is made by amateur start-up frauds.

I'm also expecting people who post in headphone threads to own headphones, but this is often not true.

>There was never any reason for a $100 amp to have 10 ohm output impedance either
Well, you are wrong. They are most likely using opa that has technical requirement of 10ohm. In fact, that's the reason why a lot of amps and dac/amps end up with 10ohm output impedance.
Not defending monoprice btw.

>HD600 fag

Of course it is. What's the point of these threads if neutralfags with their flat, no sub bass headphones keep projecting their poorfag, bland tastes on everyone else?

IT here. What are you enjoying with your HD600, user?
There's a lot of things I should be doing.
But I went and started pic related.
How screwed am I, in a scale of ten?

Attached: 1521029140958.png (1280x720, 1.09M)

Hello

Attached: aaaaa4.png (560x625, 216K)

Listen to this guy and buy the trustiest of fucks. He knows what hes talking about in order to get the pure audiophile experience on a budget. Right. You look so shy and scared showing off your beautifully shaped soles. My dick is hard and needs a nice pair of sweaty soles to stroke it. Those toes look sexily shaped and softly ready to wrap around my headphone.

>but on-board measures
You have no clue what you are talking about. First of all, "onboard measures" is such a wide statement that it's not even funny. DAC is not only the chip it uses, like you seem to believe. Onboard measurements will depend on: quality of components used, path of signal on PCB, how well designed mobo is, power supply and lastly on what other components you have in your PC and how much noise they generate.

yikes

Do you even own headphones?

yikes

I unironically bought a HD600 because of you and the other shills
It's actually pretty good. Would be nice if subbass was better but its mids are way better than my previous "V" shaped headphones

are you dense? just plug in a fucking oscilloscope and look at the graph.

Glad to hear, user!
I do hope you enjoy watching Love Live with them :)
I'm sure enjoying pic related atm.

Attached: 1512498382214.png (1280x720, 1.6M)

I know that is the reason why most topping stuff has a 10ohm oi. It's this line of Texas Instruments amps that do it. It's clearly possible to make an amp with a sub 1 oi on the cheap since even schiit sells one for $100(probably costs them $18 to make) so I wish they would stop using those op amps.
Stuff like the topping dx7s would be so much more appealing if it had a reasonable OI but the 10 oi pretty much invalidates it as an option.

I've actually discussed Love Live with you before. I'll keep the HD 579s as a fun headphone, maybe a BTR1 like Maya user.

what headphones would Hitler buy?

youtu.be/TlZJjH9pQWs