What are your opinions on the best distro?

What are your opinions on the best distro?

Attached: Screenshot_20180415_135004.png (1920x1080, 341K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/releases/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

d*bian is freetard bait, there's a reason everyone uses ubuntu even though it's based on debian.

I'd say something about it if I were capable of installing it. The installer is a piece of crap that always fails in spectacular ways, and it takes lots of luck to install it properly.

>ubuntu
absolute trash

Devuan is better

debian is fine but i find it too stable for desktop or too unstable for desktop, and fuck testing. They should invest more in the backports repo to make it desktop friendly imo.

I don't like the debian installer, fails with way too many machines. They'd better have provided just a script.
I didn't like apt / apt-get / dpkg and the whole mess used to create packages.

[On these first two, Alpine is better, Fedora is better, Gentoo is better, SuSE is better ... almost everything non-Debian / apt is better]

I also don't particularly like at what pace Debian updates packages on either stable or unstable.

Basically I experimentally found out that I really don't care for Debian. It is annoying until at least they fix the crappy package manager and build files and such ... again.

Comfy

Attached: 1521470312122.gif (400x400, 285K)

>I didn't like apt / apt-get / dpkg and the whole mess used to create packages.
dpkg-source is such a convoluted mechanism I literally have no idea how this works I just use debian/rules and hope for the best

Attached: 150004573306.png (461x444, 275K)

>latest packages in stable are from 1000 years ago
>broken packages remain broken in testing for weeks or even months because of the retarded validation process
>unstable are unstable af
>both testing and unstable are not intended for usage other than testing,but you have to use them in order to get recent packages
gee,i dont know if this is what a "perfect distro" should be

>almost everything non-Debian / apt is better
I agree but out of those:
>alpine
I think it was missing something I really needed, too lightweight for me
>fedora
the worst experience I've had with package management or just installing something in general, I absolutely hate it
>gentoo
I still can't completely install it properly, I always fuck a step up, the fact that you have to compile your own kernel doesn't make it any better
>suse
broke it after 2 days of use, Ive no idea how. Sam as fedora, i just don't like it

>make it desktop friendly imo
hmm...
>be debian
>have packages for all combinations of DMs DEs WMs e.t.c.
>idiots want you to be more "friendly"
and
>be ubuntu
>lock everyone in a sandbox
>have to format to be able to get a clean OS in every big release
>no options on packages
>be the most friendly distro.
that's the shit I am reading all day, every day.

>I think it was missing something I really needed, too lightweight for me
Definitely not supporting everything due to them using musl. I still like apk and APKBUILD much better than the apt mess.

> the worst experience I've had with package management or just installing something in general, I absolutely hate it
I don't. dnf is very nice. yum was shit of course.

> I still can't completely install it properly
How?

> the fact that you have to compile your own kernel doesn't make it any better
You can just genkernel all or adapt your old debian or whatever configuration. Just saying. I don't necessarily think it's the recommended distro for you... but again I think emerge [/ebuild] / ebuilds are much better than the apt & friends mess.

>>latest packages in stable are from 1000 years ago
that's what stable is for, faggot.
It's about stability and bug fixes.

>It's about stability and bug fixes.
what about bug fixes from upstream?they dont care?

>How?
I don't know, usually when I fail an installation it almost always has something to do with either network drivers or video drivers.
>much better than the apt & friends mess.
I agree, it's why I used to use Arch.
I want to use gentoo but it feels like fucking portage requires reading an entire book to use properly
I think I'm gonna go try install gentoo now one more time

The best?

If i want to customize everything myself from scratch i go with Arch

If i want a nice and easy home desktop i usually just go with a Manjaro distro pref KDE, just because im used to it

If i want something more efficient, i go the lazy route and just insert my i3 config into any system and run that as a session

I fucking love it. Never had issues, despite the packages in stable being old.

It's also a perfect distro for getting newbies into linux -- way better than Ubuntu IMO. A perfect normie distro as well -- piss easy installer that provides everything a casual computer user would ever want (web browsers, media players, and office suite). Just update it once in a while and you'll literally never need to use anything else.

> I don't know, usually when I fail an installation it almost always has something to do with either network drivers or video drivers.
Not very much to go on. Maybe you should hit the Gentoo forums with the specific error if you ever try again.

> it feels like fucking portage requires reading an entire book to use properly
IMO not for Portage. It and the optional helpers (q, repoman, equery, eix...) are just about all quite straight-forward to configure and use.

But you are the one in overall charge of the configuration for all packages you deploy, there is a bunch of Linux sysadmin knowledge behind that I guess.

best os

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-15 14-51-40.png (3200x1800, 833K)

kde is a bit messed up in stretch. I'll use debian again when buster becomes stable

>debian is not the best
>i use 2-3 distros to fit my needs
Debian fits for all your needsm

>how is the unfulfilled dependency treating you?
That's not unstable you idiot.
That's testing.
Unstable is a different branch

this read debian.org/releases/

>fuck testing
Why? If you want later versions of packages without instability, Testing is perfect.

Debian wity Gnome looks pretty comfy, but systemd and pulse are no-gos. Gentoo still wins.

You got your screenshot wrong, thats not Fedora.

but testing
>breakages may take weeks or months to be rectified
>have a period of freeze
>etc etc

I never had that problem with Testing. I stopped using Testing on my main desktop in favor of Stable simply because I didn't need the latest version of anything, and thus simply wanted to avoid the constant updates, but while I was using Testing, I never had problems with bugs. I'm still using it on my laptop, and I've never had any particular bugs with any particular packages. It's not like Unstable.

if you use "testing" branch instead of "buster", you dont get freezes
and no, packages dont break on testing, thats what unstable is for, stuff must work on sid for a while and have no critical bugs before they get accepted into testing

It's the best distro

>pic not related

I don't like how it makes assumptions about how I want my packages made and configuration files set up

using it right now because arch shat itself somehow

r8?

the installer is basic as hell, man, I don't know what you mean. If you have no experience outside Ubuntu or Mint maybe it's difficult, but in that case you shouldn't be installing Debian.

Attached: 2018-04-14-131441_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 77K)

768/1080

gentoo but unironically

the graphical installer actually is pure shit, I'll agree with that.
But yesterday I tried debian again and the CLI installer is pretty good, had no problems

I've used both and never had an issue with either. I mean, the graphical installer loads all the same options as the cli, the only difference is the frontend, I don't get how one could have an issue with one and not the other.

Only issue I've ever had installing debian is the fact that I didn't know there was a separate nonfree version.

I suspect those people having issues are people who use live testing installer instead of using stable installer then switching to testing in sources.list

Oh, so breaking the first rule of Debian, then? Top kek.

I always had issues if I tried to make some sort of frankendebian with assorted repos and package versions. It's just not a good idea desu.

It really is, I don't know why people hate apt, I mean it is clunky sometimes but it >werks. Anyway, the year I spent using slackware was the best linux experience imo, but my laptop is way too slow to have to rely on compiling packages all the time, slackpkg etc. surely helped, but not everything has a slackbuild unfortunately.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-04-15_17-27-08.png (1280x800, 1.4M)

you should try yosa mix, it's a fork of capitaine icons with some better looking icons (and more of them)

>Normie distro
Son, I can't get my Bluetooth working or the icon to show up (Xfeces), and my laptop backlight doesn't turn on when the lid reopens (unlike Ubuntu).

Also in Ubuntu you can click a button and auto install drivers. I can't figure out how to do it in Debian 9.4.

How do you fix it?
Xubuntu never had these problems.

you can use it on servers, desktops, laptops with old stable packages, or newer packages. Works on computers new and old.
Truly the universal operating system, no other OS is as versatile.
Arch isn't stable enough for servers and gentoo is too demanding on older computers, no distcc doesn't count. ubongo is too bloated and openpepe is weird and sometimes has packages that are older than old-stable debian.
It fails when you try to use a custom kernel though, so arch fedora or gentoo are better there.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-04-15_10-29-53.png (1366x768, 1.03M)

add non-free to your sources-list
or buy a laptop that respects your freedumbs

How did you get the Bluetooth to show?
I love Debian but I come from Ubuntu so there's a learning curve

to be fair, it you have a seperate /home it doesn't matter if you have to reinstall your OS since you keep all your files and configs

Thank you kindly.

Did you use the nonfree installer? It sounds like a driver issue. Sadly, I don't know of any graphical driver managers for debian, you might be better with ubuntu or mint or even manjaro.

When Debian 9.0 came out, I couldn't even adjust my backlight brightness. By the time 9.2 came into existence, all the drivers worked fine (in the nonfree version). You might honestly just have to wait it out, sadly.

The installer seems to be temperamental with drive integrity. You pretty much need to use 4M blocks and dd.

It's deluge (torrent app) not bluetooth. Sry

they do, they're called backports.
stable is updated for spectre and meltdown for example.
at their worst testing and unstable are no worse than arch, and at their best (98% of the time) they're much more stable than arch.

>program you need isn't in the ppa
>cant use it

>add the ppa
>apt update
?

>how do i compile from source

Attached: serveimage-2.jpg (800x774, 50K)

>Non-free drivers
How do I do that?
I used Debian Testing with non-free on my laptop and it still has the backlight problems.

Also what's the difference between Xubuntu and Debian with Xfeces?

>ppa
>debian

???

>if you use "testing" branch instead of "buster", you dont get freezes
really?isn't testing==buster(same release?)

ypu can actually use ubuntu ppa on debian since they both use .deb and they are (((mostly))) binary compatible
but this practice is not encouraged by both debian and ubuntu dev team

Testing is always testing, but buster can be testing or stable

>how do i do that?
By installing the nonfree edition, which i think you said you're using already

>used testing nonfree and still had problems
I just said that I had the same issue and it was fixed a couple releases later. As I said last time, you might have to use something else until your stuff is supported

>Difference between xubuntu and debian xfce
Ubuntu is based on debian testing. They take debian testing packages and edit them/hold them back to be more stable, plus the ubuntu team also adds their own repositories. Ubuntu has more drivers and is nonfree by default, too. Debian is just what ubuntu is based off, they do their own thing without any modifications. Their updates tend to be a little slower, especially on stable, because it's made to be a very simple, basic system to get work done.

I just use debian over ubuntu because it's more stable and it is lighter on system resources, but in your case I think you need to use something like ubuntu, or maybe a distro based on ubuntu, that has all your hardware drivers.

Well yeah, that sounds retarded. Chances of breakage would be extremely fucking high if something depends on a newer library version and tries to fetch it over the debian one.

>tfw debian 9.4 comes with sudo by default now

finally ffs

Not him but as a debfag, I agree the packaging system is pretty unnecessarily complex.
Although .deb is a format from the 90's (I believe) so their definition of convenience is a bit less extreme than ours.

isn't "testing" and "" both means tracking the same repo(even when "" get frozen,it is still testing)?

not him but from my understanding, you have the general branch name (stable, testing, sid) and code names for releases (stretch, buster etc.)
>The code name for the next major Debian release after stretch is "buster".
So if you're currently using the buster branch, it means you're currently on testing but once it releases you'll switch to stable.
If you just use "testing" you'll be on testing branch all the time, ever after buster gets releases into stable and another codename takes it's place.
Sid is special because it's rolling releases and won't change

>this is the average linux user
>too retarded to click OK 5 times, make some partitions and insert a hostname

Nothing wrong with Debian.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-04-15_18-23-39.png (1920x1080, 1.29M)

Attached: evolution.jpg (600x367, 41K)

ebin

>Nothing wrong with Debian.
>GNOME
uhh

Attached: 1419031621938.gif (300x200, 1.37M)

PPAs tend to be fine if you're on testing or sid and they include the libs that the package needs
but really though, just compile it

outdated af
either arch or solus
everything else is too ancient

Debian is Slackware for people who are too stupid to actually use Linux.

>too ancient
Works great on my single core 1gb ram laptop. I can even watch youtube in 720p through mplayer

>KDE
at least you have thumbnails

>arch
>being best at anything
you must be new
>also what is debian sid

Nothing wrong with GNOME.

>slackware
>copy of pats hdd

What? It's the standard Linux desktop.

windows