What does Jow Forums think about the new Ryzen 7 2700X and X470 mobos?

What does Jow Forums think about the new Ryzen 7 2700X and X470 mobos?

Attached: amd-ryzen-cpu.jpg (1920x1080, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/11NfsMykyAk?t=260
youtu.be/OZcCqnE5mRw
wccftech.com/amd-x470-motherboard-roundup-asus-asrock-msi-aorus-biostar/
anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64
logicalincrements.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

im becoming a AMD convert.
check out their Ryzen Threadripper 1950x :)

nothing special sadly

They are great but sadly I already have a Ryzen system.

DELID

Attached: 1506977173618.jpg (882x758, 324K)

upgrade in a year to ryzen 3000 series

I'ma poor nigger but next build gonna be AMD 4 sho.

Maybe scrap together judengeld for 2200G system but fucking ram nigger damn. How much better to get cheap non APU ryzen and cheap DGPU? Could someone make me like a spreadsheet or something with my options and price performance ratios? lmao

was gonna upgrade to an 8700k/Z370 mobo and give my current kabylake parts to my dad since his is still on bulldozer, thoughts on buying Ryzen instead, I just mostly play games

makes me regret buying an i5 6600K two years ago even more
worst computer part decision i've ever made

Curious about reviews but will probably wait for new AMD and Intel CPUs after Ryzen+.

I've been looking into upgrading for the last year, was hoping to buy a good AM4 mobo at first and slowly go up the upgrade path since I don't have enough money to buy good mobo+good cpu right now.
That and wanted to wait for mobos to improve and iron every wrinkle

I'm hoping that the x470 mobos will be available in mini-itx on the same day that Zen+ drops. I have a mini server cube that I want to build.

I feel you. My old computer died a couple month before ryzen was released and I needed one quick. Still I went from a q6600 to a 6600k and it was a big jump.

same here at 7600k... if I had just held out for ryzen

I've been with intel for a long time. The last AMD processor I had was an Athlon XP back in like 2002.

But the time has come. AMD is actually making some good shit again.

Especially with the all the Intel BS going on right now, and the usefulness of more cores for stuff I do, I'm switching back to AMD. For now, at least.

Going to be picking up a Ryzen 5 2600X soon.
Still unsure if I'll get an X470 mobo though, or just stick with a cheaper X370. Is the X470 worth it? Or better to put the extra money into faster RAM?

Attached: 1445382754543.jpg (2150x1378, 405K)

Ryzen 2000 series is little more that a debugged 1000 series, but that's not exactly a horrible spot to be.

If the 3000 series actually manages 12c designs next year though (especially a 2x6c instead of a 3x4c one), any mainstream part released before then will be pretty much completely obsoleted.

>Still unsure if I'll get an X470 mobo though, or just stick with a cheaper X370. Is the X470 worth it? Or better to put the extra money into faster RAM?

wait to see if x470 boards can more reliably support the DDR4 clocking you want before deciding. it's not known yet how much of the new rating support is from the CPU IMC vs. new firmware vs. phyiscal mobo signal integrity.

X370 will need a BIOS update to work with newer Ryzen 2XXX chips. You also lose some performance on X370 because they won't boost as high.

still no reason to upgrade my x5650

Just make mod bios update and then put a 6 core coffelake.

>Just make mod bios update and then put a 6 core coffelake.

what's the status of the "a socket per year, keeping goyim in fear" meme right now?
how old a mobo/chipset supports 8000-series chips officially (or unofficially)?

I have a 6600K, and while I would rather have a Ryzen, I don't regret it either: at the time I bought it Ryzen was just a project and not out until a good 6 months later and I needed a computer. I just regret not getting higher RAM speed while it still was affordable.

*inhales*

Attached: 1503314155502.jpg (938x120, 14K)

>what's the status of the "a socket per year, keeping goyim in fear" meme right now?
>how old a mobo/chipset supports 8000-series chips officially (or unofficially)?
Only 3xx series chipsets. That's right, your barely a year old 2xx chipset board with exactly the same socket does not support Coffee Lake.

You can mod the BIOS of older boards to take rebranded Kaby Lake chips though (i.e. up to 4 core Coffee Lake chips) but I dunno why you'd bother.

According to the interwebs the 2700X apparently has a boost clockrate of 4.3GHz. How well do the Ryzens overlock and how high could one expect a stable overlcock roughly to be on that CPU?
I basically wonder if it's a notable upgrade from an Intel [email protected] - or is it, after considering the IPC loss and lack of AMD specific optimization in most software, at best a side-grade?

Might upgrade from my 4.2 GHz x5650, will Windows 7 be supported on the 2600/2700?

I can't install Windows 7 on my 2200G, might be my motherboard though, not sure.

I was putting off my new computer until X470 came out, because I want that will last me for at least 6 years without the need to upgrade.

2600/2600x looks like it might be worth the price (but I'll wait for how the prices will REALLY look in my country). I'll just buy the most affordable 6 coers for now; I can always replace it with a Zen3.

Attached: 1513529910355.png (588x598, 402K)

>How well do the Ryzens overlock
Not too well for the current generation. AMD generally cranks their CPUs and GPUs quite high. On current Ryzen there's a wall at GHz.

>I basically wonder if it's a notable upgrade from an Intel [email protected]
If you're considering the 2700X from the 6600K, you're not interested in pure gaymen performance. So in whatever more or less multi-threaded stuff you're doing you'll already will see increases in performance.

A wall at 4GHz.*

Get the 2700x I got the 1600x it's good just the extra cores and threads would've been good. Plus the 2700x will come with a wraith prism cooler.

wait, Coffee Lake S (or whatever the

The worst thing about Ryzen is they no longer support 3DNow! so you can't emulate their older CPU's for playing old Windows games in a VM. You'd need an FX CPU for playing Win9x games.

imagine being this obsessed with brand wars

The 6 core CPU's (8400 on up) are basically kaby Lake with a new memory controller that allows 2666MHz out of the box. The i3 is literally a rebranded KL i5, even the same fucking memory controller, it only supports 2400.

It doesn't even beat the i5-8400 in gaming so its like whatever. Its basically a must-have for rich core fags who masturbate to cinebench and task manager.

Attached: eentel.jpg (960x898, 174K)

The x470 is worth it

100% support of 3600mhz DDR4

and in general much easier to use bios and PCI-E 3.0 instead of 2.0 on the x370

Attached: lost.png (225x31, 1K)

Windows seven doesn't support Sky/Kaby/Coffeelake + or Ryzen/Ryzen2

there is a work around though.

>so you can't emulate their older CPU's for playing old Windows games in a VM.
Wot

What game do you even have that requires 3DNow!?

One "person" has had a 2700x @ 4.5Ghz on all cores with 1.428v

also >ipc

clock for clock they are like 5% of each other if that.

Your best bet is to get a copy of w7 pre-loaded with ryzen compatible drivers.

Right now it's looking like zen+ is hitting the voltage wall at 4.2-4.3 ghz range (albeit they're doing this with lower voltages than most R1K's need for 3.9-4ghz), I suspect this is mostly due to AMD loosening up binning standards to not have to release quad cores. So the cpus all have one or two cores holding them back just a little bit. They do however also have ever so slightly higher IPC vs zen1 which somewhat mitigates that mostly due to lowered latencies.

I've already pre-ordered a 2700x to replace my 1700 and will be testing per core and per ccx overclocking to test my theory out, if I feel like it I'll report here on the findings. Can also keep a close eye out for a full break down from The Stilt. He's done some really good coverage on Ryzen and Raven.

The only semi-reputable review that's out showing performance is El Cahpuzas' retest on x470 and their results are all over the place to the point where sometimes the 8600k is the best cpu, sometimes the 8400 is the best cpu, sometimes the 6700k is the best cpu, Doom in 4k OGL ultra the fucking R5 1400 won. There's literally not a single gaming benchmark that has the 8700k on top of the chart, they even went as far as to run ddr4-3600 on all the intel cpus with the 2700x usiong ddr4-3200.

Additionally, some people do things with their cpu other than just game. I for one compress / transcode video. I also occasionally stream and record gameplay footage. Good luck streaming 1080p 60fps with your 8400. For gaming I'd really like to see frametime graphs, especially for the 8400. Because even tracking 1% and 0.1% lows doesn't really give the whole story.

Attached: frametime.png (1880x748, 99K)

time to put that noose around your neck kike shill

What are you on about PCIE 3.0 instead of 2.0? 400 series boards still use 2.0 chipset provided lanes.

>Additionally, some people do things with their cpu other than just game. I for one compress / transcode video. I also occasionally stream and record gameplay footage. Good luck streaming 1080p 60fps with your 8400. For gaming I'd really like to see frametime graphs, especially for the 8400. Because even tracking 1% and 0.1% lows doesn't really give the whole story.

My maaaaan, I do the same shit to test "smoothness" you have no idea how fucking annoying it is dealing with people who claim "smoothness" as a perk on a certain CPU coughamdcough, while providing zero proof other than "muh feels" when there is a simple and easy way to prove it.

Hasn't multiple tests shown that frametime is better on ryzen than intel?

Not all though, I think there's a few games where amd does worse.

Well i dunno what he meant by this them.

Attached: techyes.png (304x90, 8K)

>Doom in 4k OGL ultra the fucking R5 1400 won
Isn't it well known that 4K as of today shows very little differences from a CPU to another?

Attached: Intel.gif (800x371, 117K)

That graph is actually my friend's 1070 on a ryzen 1700 comparing the GTAV benchmark with freesync on/off in his monitor menu. Red is on. And you can find reviewers that do actually provide frametime / framerate graphs, while nvidia / intel often get higher averages, it usually comes at a cost of frametime consistency.

Additionally, nvidia's retarded decision to use emulated PCI interrupt pin by default in their drivers, rather than messaged signaled interrupts costs Ryzen ~5% performance in games.

youtu.be/11NfsMykyAk?t=260

There are also videos I've seen with stuff like black desert online where a guy compared a 6700k at 4.8ghz 300mt/s memory to a 3.8ghz 1700x 2667 memory with a gtx 970. The ryzen would consistently get worse performance, albeit most likely due to the software. (the 6700k also couldn't get 100% cpu or gpu utilization). But running through the same areas the 6700k would hitch much worse / more frequently. Noone likes the video though because they weren't done exactly at the same time under the exact conditions, therefore it's not a valid result.

youtu.be/OZcCqnE5mRw

As far as chipset IO features go, they're identical, I know it's wccftech but deal with it. wccftech.com/amd-x470-motherboard-roundup-asus-asrock-msi-aorus-biostar/

That's the thing, they tested on a gtx 1070 and the 1400 had the lead by 3 fps. So while it's the most reputable source at the moment, it's not necessarily the most reliable.

> (You)
>wait, Coffee Lake S (or whatever the Why would they even bother?
Of course. Intel hasn't changed the actual CPU architecture since Skylake, it's just the same thing on a slightly improved process that allows for small clock speed bumps. Same as what AMD is doing with Ryzen 2. Ryzen 3 should be based on the Zen 2 architecture though and provide a more significant improvement.

Can you give me a link to that work around?

Oh forgot to add that I upgraded from an e5-1650v2 clocked at 4.3ghz with quad channel 2133 cl11 memory to my 1700, which I currently have clocked at 3805mhz with memory at 3360 14-14-14-28-42 1T. It was noticeably smoother in some scenarios, especially when watching my mongolian cave drawings at 120fps.

>Hasn't multiple tests shown that frametime is better on ryzen than intel?
Yeah, I am going to need some proof on that.

>That graph is actually my friend's 1070 on a ryzen 1700 comparing the GTAV benchmark with freesync on/off in his monitor menu. Red is on. And you can find reviewers that do actually provide frametime / framerate graphs, while nvidia / intel often get higher averages, it usually comes at a cost of frametime consistency.
Frame time consistency means jack shit though if your fps fluctuates but is still higher than the other CPU since you can just limit the FPS and your cutting out the fluctuation and making your minimums your flatline.

On the other hand there is such thing as spikes that go well, well beyond fluctuation and thats like 1 frame that takes 10-30 times longer to render.

So it's not just "does it fluctuate" but how much does it fluctuate from the norm, what is the "average" and how often do critical spikes occur.

What I am trying to say is most people are retards and they either don't know the existence of frame times, or they have no idea how to even read them and compare.

anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

It is the K6-2 launch all over again. Minor clockspeed and cache/CCX tweaks.

Ryzen+ are literately on the toes of Skylake family in IPC. Skylake family just has higher clockspeed.

Imagine defending Intel.

USB support is not my problem though, I get a blue screen before the installer finishes loading.

Why is there such a push from people here to buy Intel chips? I don't understand why, it's not like you're making any money off of it.

>why, it's not like you're making any money off of it.

Attached: 1521577099884.jpg (604x604, 24K)

>Be actual AMD shill
>Stop getting paid
>Start to shill for Intel out of spite
Fuck AMD.

>Why is there such a push from people here to buy Intel chips?
Only for gaming currently.

I'd switch to 2700x from 5820k, but I have 2133mhz ram. It does not hurt the x99 systems, because of quad channel, but a ryzen would be bottlenecked hardcore.

Since RAM costs retard money now, I'll pass.

>I don't understand why, it's not like you're making any money off of it.

Attached: 1523154752549.gif (480x360, 508K)

Attached: intel jew.png (200x200, 45K)

Attached: 1504560195953.jpg (267x297, 24K)

not him,
but I came from an Amd athlon II x3 450 and have a r5 1600 now.
I think I'm good for the next 7-8 years or so

If neither system is having significant hitches, it may not visibly appear different one way or the other. But if there's a significant difference in consistency in an interactive environment, even with lower framerates it will *feel* smoother. But I agree with you on your point of using frame limiters which is something I'd never considered. Though almost noone does this, and I was more so pointing out how reviews aren't really giving you the whole picture with their simple graphs.

The graph I posted was just something I had saved and decided to post as an example for anyone who had no idea what I was talking about. I was just telling you what it actually was.

With the exclusion of AVX ryzen already had IPC parity with *lake in a lot of scenarios. Unoptimized / old software is just holding back the cpus.

You could always OC the ram, or sell it for profit and get more suitable ram. But really I'd wait for zen2 anyways in your case if you're considering jumping ship.

You don't happen to spend a lot of idle time on Blade and Souls.... do you?

Attached: VA-11 Hall A_2017-09-19_21-18-43.png (1280x720, 101K)

>bottlenecked hardcore

Attached: memoryspeed.png (602x1646, 517K)

>But if there's a significant difference in consistency in an interactive environment, even with lower framerates it will *feel* smoother.
I just said, that is false.
If one ranges from 110 to 144 you can just cap it at 110 and have a 100% smooth flatline in frametimes. This is clearly superior to something that fluctuates between 70-80.
This notion that less frames with a smaller flux is better than lots of frames with the same % of flux is wrong and is a very shallow view of the topic. There is a reason why AMD shills heavily used "smoother than intel" as a slogan when they lost out in maximums, averages, minimums and so on. They kept saying it's "smoother" and each time they get proven wrong with 1% times or 0.1% times or god help them with frame times they just keep falling back on literally ???? as evidence and keep repeating "b-but it's smoother"

>But I agree with you on your point of using frame limiters which is something I'd never considered.
>which is something I'd never considered.
God help me, this actually depresses me.

>who had no idea what I was talking about. I was just telling you what it actually was.
Sure, but I know exactly what it is and I have used that heavily myself to compare games performances, hardware performances, and optimize performance for competitive tournament settings.

I think they should hurry

Attached: order.jpg (1396x1497, 136K)

There'll be a 2800X coming right? And it's going to be a kick in the balls for anyone who bought the 2700X?

Nope. The 2700X seems to do 4.3 max, so its almost fully overclocked stock, they will probably not release another Zen+. Zen 2 is scheduled for 2019.

logicalincrements.com/

i'd bite if it wasn't for the ram prices

I've been of the assumption there won't be and they're hoarding the good dies for threadripper.

To be fair I've never had to consider it as I don't get variances to justify bothering with it. Most of that comes from allowing cross-ccx work on games that don't support it properly, or when using slow ram. I typically use affinity to lock games to a single ccx and use high priority. What games are you optimizing for competitive tournaments where ryzen isn't capable of hitting upper 100's to mid 200's anyways?

the 2700X already scores 1958 on cinebench at 4.3GHz all core
2950X is going to be crazy when overclocked, and this is just a refresh

They may make some more tweaks for threadripper, but if my theory on their lax binning for R2K is correct, most of the 4.4-4.5ghz dies will be going to TR2K. Better memory support will be nice as well. I'd consider threadripper if I had a legitimate need for it, but ryzen is plenty for me.

I think I'll make a 2600x build while waiting for the 3950X, it'd be kinda painful to wait on what I'm running

or maybe buy a new gpu for my build and wait so I can get that massive performance jump again

Unless you manually OC.

I want my 3770k build to die so I'll have an excuse to buy new Ryzens next year.

Meanwhile I'm pimping my x99 itx system with what Intel says its deprecated hardware by now lol. 5960x brand new for same price as 2700x, Ryzen is still better tho. I got lucky and bought ram + used Xeon and used the system as a nas so far. /blog

Eh, if you're gonna make the jump to threadripper, you may as well just get an x499 mobo and a 1950x for cheap, then ride it out for a year rather than wasting money on an AM4 system. Unless you plan on repurposing it for something.

I'll just give it to a friend or something
I want one of those sweet, sweet X599 boards for my 3950X along with whatever high end gpu is available by then

I'll just et the latest and greatest from when 3950X gets launched and build a pc hidden in something like pic related since all cases on the market suck dick

Attached: Archives_0002_2_1024x1024[1].jpg (1024x1024, 237K)

I'm still waiting until 2019 for all that 7nm goodness, feels shitty man, its so fucking far away and my i5 3570k is just on its last legs these days before it starts to bottleneck me, my rx480 will probably last me until 2020 or 2021 whenever something beyond GCN-based AMD GPUs show up but I still want more

If only vulkan API had become more common

Attached: 155423684.jpg (618x740, 65K)

>they will probably not release another Zen+
Zen+ threadripper is coming out in august

lol, I'm running an A8-6600K and HD6670 for almost 5 years now

>implying z170 and z270 arent locked for coffee lake
besides coffee lake is shit why would he even bother

>It doesn't even beat the i5-8400 in gaming

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-Juegos-Full-HD-04-705x740.jpg (705x740, 93K)

But why? Even my CPU is 6 years old now, you could have done better

>just wait

Attached: AMD2.jpg (568x612, 66K)

The fact the 2700x isnt vulnerable to meltdown and has mitigations for spectre is more valuable than a handful of frames lost against intel chips

well, judging by your picture not even the 8700k can

delet this!

Attached: AMD1.png (882x758, 316K)

>3200MHz memory vs 3600MHz memory

because I'd have to be rich to afford something better

this

Attached: AMD4.jpg (552x661, 71K)

/thread

Attached: AMD.png (653x726, 91K)

>inb4 ryzen can't run anything faster than 2400 RAM

Wouldnt want a benchmark where Ryzen actually wins now would we?