X470 boards

Not that most manufacturers released their new X470 baords and their features which one should I get?

Are realtek LAN ports as bad as they used to be?

Attached: kG6OHzSa4wEUeNGH.jpg (2196x1239, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=COMxRFv_MvQ
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#support-manual
videocardz.net/mobo/gigabyte-x470-aorus-gaming-7-wifi/
videocardz.net/mobo/asrock-x470-taichi-ultimate
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#kf
asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/specifications/
youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ/videos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nobody?

The crosshair VII is probably the best one out there.

>Exciting new motherboard designs
>same fucking shitty aluminium blocks that stay the same furnace tier temperature even if you point a 4000RPM 40mm fan on it

Attached: 1522978172878.gif (300x200, 1.45M)

Poozen at eight cores and below doesn't draw anywhere near enough power for it to be an issue.

I don't care much about the design since. That LED shit everywhere is fucking disgusting but in the case I don't have to look at it.

I bought a skylake like 6 months before Ryzen started getting hype and now my biggest problem is that at the rate current CPUs are going, it's going to be obsolete in like 10 years. So here I am stuck as a corelet because changing up the CPU and mobo at once would be more money than I can justify.

/blog

Gigabyte AORUS X470 Gaming 7 WiFi seems to be beastly, yet too early to say
Waiting for B450 to see what they will offer, as mATX is the best format

Probably one of the ASRock Taichis or the Crosshair 7 Hero. The new boards are just based off the x370 boards with minor improvements or variants with a few more I/O options or slightly better VRM and such.

why

I'm in the same boat except I bought ddr3 so I need new ram as well.

Attached: 2018-01-09_10.41.39.jpg (2560x1440, 1.24M)

Realtek 8111 is still 'meh' it's not bad (certainly better than 'killer shit')
Realtek 8118AS is actually pretty good, but still no i211 - also you'll only find it on BioStar, ECS etc - Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc - they'll use their overstock of killer shit nics first or just go straight to i211.

Broken Sata port....i cringed a little

Am I the only one who likes these designs? More coverage on the electronics is better and also l can grip the board are more places.

That's one of the better x470 designs. It has real heatsinks on the VRM components

Just a demo board for trade shows, sad, but no big.

>implying mosfets give a shit about 100C+

it's not X299, you're not gonna get thermal throttling from power delivery overheating.

Features, VRMs. The Crosshair VI was also the best of the X370 motherboards and the VII is just a little bit better. They ditched whatever PCI-e 2.0 slots they had for PCI-e 3.0 as well. I think it has 6 instead of 8 SATA ports, though. One more M.2 slot than the VI as well. Alhough, from what I can see, all the X470 and even B450 boards now have 2 M.2 slots, instead of 1. Or was it like that for the previous ones, as well? I don't remember.

they're still degrading faster at higher temps, and operating at lower efficiency. It's a simple mod to install custom heatsinks, and still more easy to buy an alternative mobo with proper cooling already installed (where possible - i've only seen one so far, the Aorus whatever)

I have a weekness for Asrock:

youtube.com/watch?v=COMxRFv_MvQ

but they are fucking expensive
> inb4 poorfag

ASCock boards are typically cheaper than Asus, MSI or Gigabyte ones here in the first world.

It's still coming with 2.0 pci-e, that's a chipset feature (why though, why. Stop it, chip manufagturers)
VRM only seems to be 12 phases and using the big old hunk of aluminium, that's unlikely to get far.

Maybe i'll look up some comparative reviews of the last gen to see why they were supposedly best

But the Taichi series seems to be one of the most expensive ones.

Only AsRock had 2x m.2 for x370
the second m.2 port on that Gigabyte board is almost certainly coming from the chipset and is split with the bottom 4x slot (if both populated they operate at 2x each) (you can see the two splitters right next to the chipset heatsink and another set up the top where it's splitting the 8x from the SoC into 4x+4x for the first m.2 slot and the ASMedia chipset.

The juiciest part of that image though - no visible splitters for turning the 16x from the SoC into 8x+8x, so their they're just hiding under the chipset heatsink (odd, since it's better to have them closer to the slot) OR Gigabyte is using some PLX switch to turn the 16x into 2x 16x, which would also explain the beefier chipset heatsink over their x370 gaming3/5/7

This is all speculation, but these boards could be pretty interest.
As always, wait for real reviews and/or motherboard manuals.

change that- manual is out- gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#support-manual

the second m.2 slot isn't split with the 4x pci-e, they're electrically using the same lanes, you can't populate them both.
The extra splitters down low must be for the 1x slots.
Also no PLX, 16x or 8x+8x, got a little too excited there.

in order of of want

Taichi Ultra
>16 phases, enough said. kawaii as fuck

Gigabyte gaming 7
>because vrm heatsink, that shit is sexy. also, all pci slots have covers which appeases my ocd. dual bios is nice also.

Asus Crosshair VII
>can't find any fault really. But also not many pros that would really make it stand out. Maybe better audio.

also, waiting for hair autist, ahoc, to substantiate my confirmation bias.

> I'm in the same boat except I bought ddr3 so I need new ram as well.
Lol

Attached: images (6).jpg (512x288, 19K)

I could spot a couple changes from that pic

videocardz.net/mobo/gigabyte-x470-aorus-gaming-7-wifi/

and for some reason on the taichi subsection you can find all of the others listed, scroll down
videocardz.net/mobo/asrock-x470-taichi-ultimate

Attached: c4ba4f3f61006bdce9597fd03aa55c00-1200x900.jpg (1200x900, 186K)

since I kinda started it.
again, from videocardz.

Attached: f4b267578d2e09b12e93f3095d763177-1200x900.jpg (1200x900, 142K)

Attached: 13ff8eee5fdf8d423cb63ab413eedefb-1200x900.jpg (1200x900, 171K)

And still worse than equivalent Z370 motherboards...

Why should we even bother with AM4 again?

>16 phases
it's 12, 10+2
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#kf
3rd bullet point undert he title

>still worse
>for you
go back to shill that piece of shit 8400, locked and unloaded of hyperthreading

Attached: yeah that.jpg (1920x1080, 157K)

At least the i5-8400 with a $60 B360 and cheap DDR4-2666 memory will still wreck a $330 2700X overclocked with $250 DDR4-3600+ memory and a $200 X470 motherboard

Attached: 1521200287226.jpg (1440x1440, 285K)

debating if this was a good move or not. If there were 8+4 as usual, 4 phases for the unused gpu portion is overkill and the moar the better for the cpu but also, take into account that it could fuck up OC'in in some unexpected obscure way. Since the soc controls a lot more than just the unpolutated gpu portion.

holy crap, so it really was you after all.

Attached: skered.gif (500x280, 79K)

Ah that sucks - my only consolation is I got 32GB DDR4 because prices were really cheap and, having had cases where I'd run out of 16GB before, I thought "why not".

We're talking about the top tier of am4 boards and the retard thinks that the budget Z mobos with a budget intel cpu have any place in our discussion.

Also, top tier am4 x370/x470 are and will be still way less expensive than top tier Z 370 chipsets. So the lill bitch won't dare to comment on the equivalent tiers simply because his argument will fall into nonsense if he did. And now he'll reply that z chipsets have a lot more features anyways and end up contradicting himself on his first argument,

You don't need a Z370 motherboard for the 8400, the B360 and H310 both exist. And funnily enough, even the $50 H310 offers more features and PCIe lanes than the $200+ X470 motherboard. So much for value proposition.

The 8400 guy needs a callsign.
Doesn't he have anything as memetastic as sopa de macaco?

>Are realtek LAN ports as bad as they used to be?
Not really, any decent motherboard uses Intel LAN anyway.

>And funnily enough, even the $50 H310 offers more features and PCIe lanes

he doesn't even what the fuck he's talking about. Through the chipset they pointlessly wire as many pci lanes as they feel like charging you for, as for the cpu, intel and ryzen are compatible, 24 pcie lanes each. Ryzen theroretically has 32 (from the uarch), but only 24 supported.

Attached: C4v3kJ9UtZcGWpJC.jpg (1196x639, 229K)

irrelevant, but I just wanna make you a bit angrier in this fine morning.

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-Lineup-Comparison-Versus-Intel-Core-i9.jpg (1280x659, 144K)

>intel

they probably have hardware vulnerabbility in their NIC aswell

Attached: 2018-01-05 03_45_05.png (689x773, 212K)

>we have MOAR COARS, who cares about actual performance?

the absolute state of ayymd

And yet the Core i7-7800X is somehow faster than the 1950X in After Effects, Photoshop, etc.

It isn't like realtek is any better.
At least intel spend a ton of money supporting open source.

Attached: images.jpg (289x174, 12K)

>12 phase
So a doubled 6 phase, but still really nice
The Gigabyte gaming series usually has better ram OC, but all three are great choices and it'll come down to day one BIOS differences.

Worth keeping an eye out for is the Strix boards. Sometimes they're actually good cut downs but usually they're dogshit compared to the ROG.

The ram compatibility, support and max OC are the only things that prevented me from getting the Taichi. Begrudgingly.

If i were to get a 2700x is there any real reason to upgrade my crosshair 6 to a 7

from what though?
1600x or lower? even then user.

But if you have disposable income, you may very well go for the full platform, since xfr2 and precision boost 2 apparently will only work with the new chipset plus the Ryzen 2. I don't think it's a reasonable expense but you can whatever you like with your own money. So just go in penny for a penny in for a pound sort of thing.

>phases
Where in my post does it say or contextually refer to phases or VRM in anyway?
You need to learn to read.

ok kiddo

Attached: 2017101610211063_m.gif (460x460, 475K)

lol Intel boards

Attached: (11)_Intel_B360_vs._Z370,_FINALLY_Budget_300-series_Chipsets!_-_YouTube_-_2018-04-05_00.23.10.png (1282x724, 370K)

>Taichi Ultra
phases, enough said. kawaii as fuck
16 phases is literally unnecessary. Hell it's not even unnecessary for the nuclear meltdown that was FX Piledriver

Literally no reason. XFR2 and precision 2 only bring a tiny improvement. And if you're going to rely on boost you might as well not get a C7H since it sounds like you won't be OCing

>CPU not drawing shitload of watts and overheating mobo is a problem
an absolute state of inlel shills XD

What's the name of that program again?

Intel stress test or something like that

@

Thanks.

Because the chipset is only fed by 4x pcie 3.0 ports from the cpu. So they get more lanes out of using 2.0 for the lanes the chipset provides, and then put the other lanes towards things like Sata / Usb / whatever. Pcie 2.0 is plenty fast for any devices you'd actually put into those slots. Even 2.0 8x is fine for most gpus. Additionally, it's 8+4 phase and the current capacity is so high that you'd never had to worry about vrm Temps even with the shitty thermal mass block. My x370 taichi's vrm never goes above 80c even when pushing 1.425v through the cpu at full load. Only thing you should be concerned about are the sub $150 boards if you want to max out an R7.

It actually needs that heatsink because the mosfets gigabyte uses are shit. But it would be nice if everyone just went back to using proper heatsinks in general.

The second m.2 port on the taichi is 4x 2.0 lanes, which is perfectly fine as most nvme ssds can't even saturate that.

>more features and pcie lanes
Coffee lake-s only has 16 cpu provided lanes you fucking retard. Everything else runs through the chipset via plx from 4x 3.0 lanes communicating between the chipset and cpu. Ryzen has 20 usable lanes direct from the cpu with 4 dedicated to an m.2 slot. The chipset is fed by 4x 3.0 lanes that get divvied up between pcie 2.0 expansion slots, Sata, USB, and whatever other io the manufacturer decides to put on the motherboard.

The top of the consumer line right now are advertised as around 3500 mb/s reading and 2500 writing, but will only reach those at ideal conditions.
From the tests i've seen, a 4x pci-e 2.0 is going to be plenty even for them.

Yeah those are generaully deep queue sequential read which is well outside the average end user's use cases. It would make a good port to slap a small optane drive into for page filing, though, which is what I've been considering. Just realized the dirt cheap prices I seen weeks ago was a sale, so now I'm kicking myself for not picking one up then.

optane only works on intel

X470 Taichi Ultimate for 10 Gigabit Ethernet

>check x470 mobos
>none of them are mATX

why did i fall for this meme

Attached: 1467156554137.jpg (225x225, 36K)

They'll be launched later

get ITX if you already have mATX case
only B450 will have mATX as I understood, and they will launch a while later

Ye. Like the X370 ones were (Biostar and some shitty Gigabyte effort).
I just want a nice X470 mATX that isn't made of cardboard, has decent vrms with cooling, and won't blow up if you put an 8 core in it.

Is there any way of determining what the iogroups will be like on these boards before they're out? My current board has both x16 slots in the same group so I'm stuck using iGPU on my host even though I have a perfectly usable dGPU collecting dust. Don't want to make that mistake again.

??? You don't need a super robut VRM for 8-cores, it's still only like 100W max draw on 1.2 to 1.4V. It's like 70A. Even if you OC it it'll be like what 130W? Not a big deal. The only thing I would be worried about is the temps because these retards skimp out on heatsinks for VRMs but you can actively cool them

>but you can actively cool them
What if you're using a big tower cooler like the U12s or a D15? Don't those obstruct any chance of airflow getting to the heatsinks?
You could use a top down cooler, but that kinda defeats the purpose of upgrading the cooler I feel like.

Full ATX is better :)

I'm just going to wait for Gen 3 Ryzen. I have a 1700X @ 4.0Ghz on an Asus Crosshair VI board as is. When Ryzen can reliably do 4.5Ghz I'll upgrade.

Actually large tower cooler help the VRMs move their heat output away. The VRM heat get taken by the airflow/heat disappation of the sink itself.

It's why you see people recommending using some sort of active cooling for the VRMs if you're using custom liquid / AiO solution.

gen 2 ryzen is like the galaxy s9, for people who didn't buy gen 1/ s8

isn't it about time they redesign the legacy stuff on motherboards?
I bet 95% of the end consumer won't ever populate more then one x16 pci full slot, why the need for 2 or 3 legacy x2 on every board. Another thing which could use them are the m.2 ssd's, but just the specialty slots for them and be done with it. With better airflow layout to boot. I don't mean to rethink the form factors, just revise the pci slots (slots, not lanes) layout already.
quality mATX with 2 full pin x16 slots and one or 2 m.2 connectors should be the norm by now. leave legacy stuf for workstation tier of boards which people buying stuff like dedicated sata controllers and whatnot would already prioritize anyways.

I think it's an epeen thing. Literally the bigger the better kind of stuff.
perfect mobo:
mATX with 2 pci x16, first one standard space from the socket, 3 wide spacing with one m.2 socket, one more x16 at the bottom.

>Actually large tower cooler help the VRMs move their heat output away. The VRM heat get taken by the airflow/heat disappation of the sink itself.
Good to know, thanks. My board, B350 PC Mate, has shit power delivery, vrms, and heatsinks, so I thought getting a better cooler and overclocking would just lead to thermal throttling from the board getting too hot.

I went to double check the spacing on matx/atx comparisons and one or two centimeters (1" at the most) for no other purpose than better cable management at the very bottom wouldn't really hurt actually. An inbetween form factor keeping the same screw holes as the mATX shouldn't be that unfathomable really. And easily marketable to boot.
>extended mATX

What board? Latest bios? Some mobos with fucked up iommu groups got fixed a few months after release.

everything inbetween but not quite exactly what you want.

Attached: 700px-Motherboards_form_factors.svg.png (700x584, 65K)

ASUS Z170-A. I don't think I've updated the BIOS.

Wonder if that Crosshair VII has heatsinks on the VRMs. It looks like it does, but I could be wrong.

Crosshair VII has the 10 gigabit ethernet too right?

No,

>asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/specifications/
>IntelĀ® I211-AT, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
>Anti-surge LANGuard
>ROG GameFirst IV

No it doesn't. That misconception was started because the original drives were small and targeted at Intel's shitty drive caching system that only works on Kaby / 200 series boards and newer. They're still just SSDs.

Unfortunately noone makes good mATX mobos, even for Intel.

All core OC at 1.4v will have more like 150w draw from the cores. You should definitely not be pushing R7's to the limit on a lot of the lower end boards unless you're getting some sort of active airflow to the vrm.

it's cool as fuck though.
>he doesn't appreciate overengineering.

Is 12 phases enough for the 2700x? Crosshair VII comes with 4+8.

watch this guy.
wait for his mobo breakdowns, learn some cool things.
youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ/videos

He will be doing 470 breakdowns for GamerNexus.

I don't really like that about him.
He can search gn all by himself, won't shill for that long haired retard.

Yeah, wish I heard his thoughts on the Taichi before I bought it. Fell for the 16-phase must be good meme. Unless they fix the BIOS for the X470 it's not worth considering over the VII or Gaming 5/7