Our computer, not yours

Does anyone else get bothered by all the of the "We" prompts or dialogue in programs and operating systems? It's probably the smallest issue I can think of, but for me it comes off as a reminder that you are not the owner of the software. Almost as if your entire computer is on a temporary lease that can be revoked or expired. I have literally nothing to back it up with, I just get that feeling and wonder if anyone else does.

Attached: Capture.png (292x201, 6K)

should say 4 replacements were made

It's the new soy friendly language

Passive verbs are bad in general, that was a very bad suggestion.

this

Yet all major tech companies have these extra dialogue pieces in to make it seem as if your actions aren't your own, you're not the owner of your machine, or your machine is your friend.

Not him but it's fucking software, not an inauguration speech.

Microsoft Word is not your software, you lease them, you don't own them. It does not respect your freedom.

I generally don't like software trying to be "cute".

So? UX is still important, it's why normal people will buy your software. Linux is just as capable as Windows and macOS, but why do normalfags avoid it like the plague? Bad UX.

First of all saying "4 replacements were made," horrible grammar aside, has the problem that it gives you no information as to whether the task was completed. The "All done" tells the user that the process went without a problem. That's an important piece of information you're missing.

the program made the changes . Not your stupid pc

translating "we did this" is much easier than "here are your 4 replacements good sir good ol chap would you like your computer(aka the program) to do anything else m'sir?"

>Operation Completed
>Completed
>Finished
>etc…

Each one is a better choice than “All done”

It’s not software anymore, it’s your virtual friendo :)

But why? Why do you insist on dry language? You remind me of that asshole teacher who hated fun

It’s the users actions that caused the changes to happen. The program is not mine, and it is under a liscense. This isn’t a huge massive issue as I said it’s just language that suggests there’s an active third party, as if your document is being sent to Microsoft for analysis (probably fucking is). It also gives me the feeling that they want people to just assume their computer isn’t really theirs, so if any changes were made it’s not that big of a deal since it’s just a piece of Microsoft Equipment.

Idk maybe I’m just stupid

literally when you install windows now it says
"We're getting things ready..."
and Cortana says "Looking forward to helping out!"

literally this operating system is trying to create a persona

yikes you actually have dry autism

Not everyone likes the fun language. It’s just not relatable to everyone. Some people are sick of the computer being your friend trend, some just want straight forward information, and some don’t give a shit either way.

>It’s the users actions that caused the changes to happen
Not at all, it was the programmers' work that made them happen.

>yikes

Takes one to know one bossman

I've always given computers personas 2bh.
But I've sorta broken my cortana by poking out her eyes and ears as best as I can.

Attached: devilishh.jpg (1024x1276, 97K)

me = normie
you = autissy

More people want easier to read dialogs than people who don't. Welcome to capitalism. I don't even use word, most of the time I just send emails and when I have to send a document I use latex. If you want serious grown up tools then use serious tools. Word is for normalfags and brainlets

I don't use shitty botnet OSes or programs.

I agree, but do you think it’s necessary for the prompts to say “we”? I’m genuinely curious, I personally believe it’s best to make the user think it’s their own actions, they should understand someone else made the backbone and if they don’t they’re stupid to begin with.

Action successful (or keep All done. if you insist)
Replacements: 4/4

It's a machine, there are no "we" behind it. What am I getting next? A fucking "hate speech" checker?

It's not quite as bad as macOS gaslighting you when it kernel panics and reboots: "YOU shut down your computer because of a problem."

It should say
"I made 4 replacements."
1st person as in the program made them.
or better yet, with conversational deletion:
"Made 4 replacements."

Conversational deletion is shorter but still clear.

Why? from the user's perspective he is asking for something to be done and the program is replying that they (the programmers) completed the task.

Prompts that display speechlike informal language just seems stupid. It doesn't feel natural or professional when an automated message pretends to be part of a conversation all forced and joyful.

>they (the programmers) completed the task.
but that's not what happened, there is no "they"

>All done. Made 4 replacements.
Is what I would go with just for brevity's sake. But it's not like the 'we' triggers me like some of these autists

>What am I getting next? A fucking "hate speech" checker?
Ouch! Saying 'retard' is not nice! We've replaced it with 'mentally challenged' for you. Have a nice day!

Thats the effect of all the women, soyboys and diversity. They have nothing else to contribute

What do you mean there's not they? do you think software is written by a robot? there's a group of people behind that program and the dialog is simply acknowledging the human nature of software

Your emotional quotient is way too low, I'm sorry you have autism. Just use vim and latex next time.

>buy automated stapler
>want to staple four papers
>All done. We stapled 4 papers.

>We are the ones who stapled it because we made the stapler

Windows lets you feel on every corner that you aren't actually in charge. It's deliberate.

>What do you mean there's not they?
Exactly what I wrote. "The programmers" didn't complete the task, the computer did.
>do you think software is written by a robot?
How is that relevant to what I wrote?
>the human nature of software
wat

It needs a happy smiley face and an ad

>using winblows 10

I think it’s good because of exactly what you said. You don’t own the program, MS does and they will do as they please.

This. Leave out the subject entirely.

"Made 4 replacements."
"Saved preferences."
"Preparing for shutdown."

>Created 4 replacements

Made sounds dumb.

yeees, goood goyim trust me im your virtual friend

pol is fucking stupid

It's true though, you don't become an owner when you buy proprietary software, Microsoft is the sole owner of Windows.

fpbp

It is wingblaws, and they pretend that it is their PC.
But Apple had started all these.

>4 replacements created

Even better.

what's up with autism and overusing passive verbs? almost as wome

>Yo bitch, 4 things had been replaced yo. You're welcome, nigga.

active verbs have no place in computing. they're soyification

>We made 4 replacements
You told the program which replacements to make, the program carried them out. By your actions together, 4 replacements were made.

It's not about who owns the computer and who doesn't. The choice of "we" is appropriate if the program itself wants to count itself as an actor.

>The choice of "we" is appropriate if the program itself wants to count itself as an actor.
uwu we made 4 widdle changie-wangies!!! *hi-fives you virtually*

this this this

user you truly have a visionary mind!

Shit I actually never thought they could be referring to we as both the user and the program. Still, that feels forced and unprofessional if that's the case.

Attached: Airbus_A320-200_Airbus_Industries_(AIB)__House_colors__F-WWBA_-_MSN_001_(10276181983).jpg (3068x2045, 1005K)

Fucking autists get out of my windows and macOS and get the fuck back to your containment OS

>I have literally nothing to back it up with
You mean besides the EULA?

Attached: Screenshot_20180415_123312.png (1859x929, 371K)

This post was not written by an engineer.

Imho ux should be netutral and not trying to evoke someone or something, there are friendly ways to report to the user without restorting to a "persona"

>More people want easier to read dialogs than people who don't.
maybe retarded brainlets who discovered digital world with the advent of Facebook

Attached: sugoi.jpg (241x343, 15K)

That’s one philosophy but when it comes to appealing to the normalfags who make up 80% of your user base your philosophy may change. You autists are acting like beaners who feel entitled to benefits in the US, you’re not the majority and you’re not the ones making the software so stop being so entitled

I mean't I have nothing to back up my claim that I feel the way I do.

fucking wintoddler get out of my board and get back to your containment board

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1365x768, 190K)

So? They are te majority so stop whining. How many Jow Forums autists actually buy office compared to normal people? Then of course they will want to appeal to normalfags

You are going to hard there man, nobody is acting entitled, just sharing opinions.

Speaking of other software, I'm curious to see how Pages, I would like to see the equivalent messages in paces, libreoffice and Google docs.

I’m probably a better programmer than you will ever be. I just cannot stand entitlement

>they are the majority
so are the chinese, so spread up your butt for them if you care about opinion of nobodies so much

This is how your software should be communicating with you. None of this, "Oh hey, I downloaded those files you wanted!" "We're applying the updates, just sit tight." "Oh no, it looks like something went wrong :(" That shit is infantilizing.

Attached: Screenshot_20180415_124021.png (1895x669, 138K)

In Pages it doesn't show any dialog at all. It simply updates the number of changes in the same text box where you type the word that should replace the wrong one.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 13.43.29.png (538x165, 28K)

>Takes one to know one bossman
>all doctors who diagnose autism are autistic themselves

>I’m probably a better programmer than you will ever be.
>I just cannot stand entitlement

You must be retarded in all other areas of brain function, you fucking hypocrite.

Because you're a better programmer you're entitled to dictate people and sit on your high chair? Get the fuck off the internet and go blow off steam.

Conputers are passive by design

>(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
>"We armed the needs update condition!"
pretty useful

There's this thing called UX that aims to make the interaction as friendly for the user as possible

>I'm probably a better programmer
hi Klossy

Attached: serveimage.jpg (869x1776, 211K)

by user you mean brainless retards, right?

yes, they need to be assured like this

They go where the money is at. Are the autists here going to pay for office? Not really, most people here don’t even pay for software they like. Also you are most likely overestimating your intelligence

SOMETHING HAPPENED

Attached: itjBdry.jpg (3264x2448, 711K)

well the funniest part is that when W10 showed me this shit it during update it actually removed CCleaner and MSI Afterburner without my consent
so fuck your assurances and give me back screens telling me exactly what the computer does instead 'it's okay, shh it won't hurt even a little'

>removed
works on my machine

Attached: bwuescween.png (800x450, 35K)

why make new ones if officials are funny enough

Attached: 1513812827056.jpg (3072x1728, 1.31M)

Attached: 1480326441570.jpg (2001x1500, 500K)

Sowwy *tehee* ^__^

I guess it's to appeal to the "majority" of Office users. People that work in business or just writing in general. It's just a tiny tiny bit of fun in the day.

except i fucking hate it.

>Waaaaaaaah! Why doesn't it say "YOU made 4 replacements"?
Because that's participation-trophy tier. All you did was flip a switch.

How the fuck do you break an error message?

Because it is you dumb fuck. Where have you been, under a rock? Windows 10 and all of the Microsoft suite of apps are all "leased" products. You are leasing the OS as a service (OSaaS). Read the ToS. They mine your data to make money and they "let" you use the OS.

>Intel is so good he's unaware that computers occasionally break

>my autistic ideology must be crammed into every argument regardless of whether it fits!
Get a fucking life.

Get a fucking real job pajeet. How big are your Microlel checks anyways? 200 rupes a month?

Wow, I didn't know how right I was.

>sperging out about we
did i end up in again?

This. Neutrality is basically making your work sound serious 101. Academic papers at a high level are written that way, so are some patents and law texts. Why can't all those Java/"""C"""# code monkeys write in proper neutral English? How fucking hard is it to follow what you were taught in your first year of engineering sch-

Oh that's right! Amerimutts don't need to go to college to call themselves engineers.

it annoys me whenever a dialog's OK button says "Got it!"