We will see ARM processors more powerful than x86 processors in our lifetime

>We will see ARM processors more powerful than x86 processors in our lifetime
How does this make you feel Jow Forums?

Attached: NVIDIA-Xavier-Chip-Shot-Large.jpg (1446x834, 363K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinuxarm.org/packages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster
popsci.com/technology/article/2010-12/air-forces-new-supercomputer-made-1760-playstation-3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>x86 processors
those are not produced any more.

Isn't it really more dependent on the software being developed and utilization? The most powerful processor is worthless if no one supports it for mining bitcoin.

Didn't the PS3 have some early version of mining aka folding at home?

RISC will rise again.

That is a lot of recompiling.

Major Linux distros and BSDs already have 64-bit ARM ports. Debian's is particularly good.

But what about the packages?

Yes it did, I'd be interested to see how much it contributed to the project.

Most software is portable, so it's just a matter of rebuilding it. Some obviously will need optimizations, but that's an upstream issue.

I thought I remembered my launch PS3 had it.
Don't remember the slim one having it though
Rip fatps3

Arch is quite good too
Especially on ARM chromebooks
pic related

Lots of them,

archlinuxarm.org/packages

Debian is very good too.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-04-15_10-04-21.jpg (2400x1600, 469K)

I hope my 128 cores ARM APU can run Crysis once and for all.

>We will see RISC-V processors more powerful than ARM processors in our lifetime
How does this make you feel OP?

yes they are

>Most software is portable

>laughing 80s programmers.eps

Attached: 03a.jpg (509x385, 36K)

At that point in time, the consoles absolutely DESTROYED mining on towers. Stanford ran a leader board for folding performance, pools of PS folders dominated it. I'm not sure what kind of GPU integration was available tho

Means VR/AR is going to be a mass market thing, longer battery life.

Not surprised at all. The ARM business model of selling the processor design is a better model than designing and fabricating the entire package. Raw computational power and power consumption are not everything.

Its only natural that ARM cores will eventually catch up to raw performance of Intel.

Attached: 1523395584774.jpg (567x422, 57K)

I'll believe it when I see it.

>1231647864235131231 arm cores
Finally.

The early versions were very versatile, but then Sony realized they needed to make it cheaper and only for gayming.

Really? Did the fat ps3 have hardware that the slim one didn't? I thought it was exactly the same but made with a newer process allowing it to use way less power

Do ARM CPUs feature microcode or are the instructions implemented in hardware? Aren't modern desktop CPUs (Intel, AMD) RISC with an interpreter turning x86 etc into proprietary microcode?

I am not sure whether they gimped the hardware, but they did lock it down software-wise and made it impossible to roll back to the more open software versions, unless you were willing to fuck with the hardware.

Outside of removing the PS2 hardware, the slim models and originals were functionally no different.

Things like linux support were locked down via firmware, and made secure enough that cracking the firmware was not easy.

It's the reason for its infamous 599usd launch
That said it was a good console and media machine not much else didn't have the ram

>proprietary microcode
as opposed to FLOSS microcode? not even openrisc has that. go home stallman.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster
popsci.com/technology/article/2010-12/air-forces-new-supercomputer-made-1760-playstation-3s
>On March 22, 2007, SCE and Stanford University expanded the Folding@home project to the PS3.[24] Along with thousands of PCs already joined over the Internet, PS3 owners are able to lend the computing power of their game systems to the study of improper protein folding and associated diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, cystic fibrosis, and several forms of cancer. The software was included as part of the 1.6 firmware update (March 22, 2007), and can be set to run manually or automatically when the PS3 is idle through the Cross Media Bar. The processed information is then sent back to project's central servers over the Internet. Processing power from PS3 users is greatly contributing to the Folding@home project, and PS3s are third to both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs in terms of teraflops contributed.[25] As of March 2011, more than a million PS3 owners have allowed the Folding@home software to be run on their systems, with over 27,000 currently active, for a total of 8.1 petaFLOPS. By comparison, the world's most powerful supercomputer as of November 2010, the Tianhe-IA has a peak performance of 2.56 petaFLOPS, or 2,566 teraFLOPS.[26] The latest report stated that Folding@Home has passed the 5 native petaFLOP mark, of which 767 teraFLOPS are supplied by PlayStation 3 clients.

He's probably being pedantic by saying that the actual processor executes RISC microcode from the x86 CISC instructions. But that's dumb because it's called the x86 Instruction Set Architecture which means x86 is the instructions the user can run on the processor.