Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

>irc
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=sqt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/sqt

no self bump

Attached: 1456770314662-fs8.png (714x561, 11K)

Is Windows print screen functionality a 100% lossless copy of all the pixels exactly as they appear on the screen? Or can it might be slightly different?

I would like to stream my desktop from my laptop to my television. My laptop only has VGA out, so I can't just connect via hdmi.

The television does support DLNA and I already stream video to it through Kodi, but I want to stream my actual desktop image and browser to the television.

Any suggestions for software? I am running Xubuntu.

Attached: good living.jpg (1024x768, 101K)

How do I check if a SATA cable is USB 3.0?

Posted at too:

Is there an extension or userscript for twitch.tv that can look for the "advertisement" or "this ad supports XXX" in the top left corner and automatically mute the sound (and maybe hide the video too) while it's present?
The text is a separate html element and not just a part of the video stream, so it should be possible to do.

Attached: 899963149a8ebf18dd8c591c83bc7d56ec5f6c42d367bda4596efce003a31bae.png (1280x720, 530K)

I'm getting an SSD soon.

Is there any way I can fiddle with W7 partitions so I can install W7 on the SSD without losing the data stored on the HDD?

I haven't turned my gaming pc on in like two years, just tried too and mobo isn't even lighting up

What could have happened, most likely? PS randomly died?

make a backup first?

It's a copy of some point in the display chain. It is not a copy of the actual output because your computer doesn't have access to that, and not a copy of the closest electrical thing to it because there's such thing as DRM which purposefully bypasses the ability for external software to access it.

What is Windows Server's alternative to SSH?
What is Windows Server's alternative to the CUPS printing service?

I'm new to computer stuff.
My old laptop died and now I want to use the hard drive to store stuff. The hard drive has 3 partitions but I only want one.
What should I do?

In Python, how can I convert a list of decimal integers to either a binary string/list?

My power went out as I was working on a word document. I was able to recover my file and most of my work, but I noticed that the file size was significantly smaller. Any reason why this might be?

My laptop is from 2011 and want to get a new one. I mostly want to use it for browsing, writing, and video editing. On the video editing note, I also want to be able to run OBS and be able to record/stream at a decent resolution. What price range should I be looking at?

Want to make homeserver with NextCloud and somehow connect it to TV. It would be close enough to use any cable if necessary.
What approach should I take to be able to play on TV whatever video file would be on NextCloud? I don't think some nextcloud app for the TV exists and I can't really plug the storage of the server as I would with external hard drive. Maybe set up the TV as scree for the server and just switch the video input?
Or maybe something else than NextCloud?

What is a decimal integer?

What brand motherboard has reliable ram compatibility list for Ryzen? Is ram compatibility even still an issue or has it improved?

do you care about the stuff currently on those partitions? you can reformat it which will destroy everything
or you can delete two of the partitions (losing everything that's in them) and expand the third

GETTING A NEW SSD SO I NEED WINDOWS 10 LTSB ISO NOW

I have a list of numbers like so:
list = [78, 129, 1, 4191] and so on like that. I want to make that list into a single binary list/string.

You can literally download images off MS website

those are eval copies or am I dumb

maybe bytearray?

I'm the user asking about the amd 3850 for a nas. cpu is pretty cheap but I can't find a cheap motherboard so I'll have to go with intel. is there a way to manually lower tdp? maybe underclocking?

>>> a = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4]
>>> map(bin, a)

>>> list(map(bin, a))
['0b0', '0b1', '0b10', '0b11', '0b100']

this?
the function bin() converts a decimal to a binary number

Is there a shortcut in mpv to skip the current video and go to the next one in the playlist? I tried page up thinking it might work like chapters but it doesn't.

You mean an X3850?
Lynnfields are pretty power efficient so you shouldn't need to do anything except make sure it's downclocking at idle. You could undervolt it a little but it's not going to make much difference. That makes a difference at full clocks and 100% load since CPUs do push the voltage beyond their good efficiency range to get those extra clocks, but when at idle and and downvolted at ~800MHz it really doesn't matter.

>install windows
>use activator of your choice
>????
>prophet
I know this is sqt but Jesus man

yeah I gave up the very moment I posted the thing. also I started filtering celerons by tdp and I found a nice cheap Celeron 420. it's way easier looking for lga775 motherboard so I think I'll use this cpu for my nas

Just torrent a preactivated version

Wait, I was thinking of the x3450. Don't you know AMD is capitalized?
>AMD 3850. 1.3GHz, 25W
Don't worry about it.

I thought you couldn't activate the evaul copies I guess I'm a retard

issue is I can't find a cheap mobo for that cpu. I'll have to look for a celeron. btw the 420 isn't lga775 but PBGA479

we all retards here, friend

Attached: brainlets.jpg (1066x600, 68K)

Starting a new job tomorrow.

Never worked with Java, GCP, MongoDB, Docker. These are the core technologies the company uses and I'm running into a bit of imposter syndrome and feel like a fraud. Is this normal for younger devs?

TDP is just a measure of maximum power, not idle. You don't need to specifically spec a low TDP part.

Is it better to buy a new laptop with Windows 10 and change the OS myself, or keep looking for a new Windows 7 one?

You might struggle getting some things.to work under Windows 7 if you buy one with 10 installed. Don't expect them to make drivers for windows 7.

yeah it's not directly correlated but it gives you a general idea of the power usage of the cpu. I think my final choice will be Celeron 450 since it's lga775 compatible. what do you think? considering I previously picked an 8350

>Is this normal for younger devs?
It's also normal for older devs.

How about going from 10 to Ubuntu?

Same there, research it first. I know Nvidia is better for Linux than amd because of drivers for example.

LGA 755 isn't known to be particularly low power itself. If you have a mobo already or can pick one up for next to nothing then it's fine, but if you're basically paying the same price as a new low-end system then I'd pass.

I think I have one or two lga775 somewhere already

Nothing wrong with AMD drivers on linux.

What are you afraid of exactly? Just do it. Just be aware that gnome looks and feels pretty shitty, if you're used to windows. I'd pick KDE.

Laptop charging port just died on me, need a new Jow Forums machine under 800€ that won't shit itself when playing 1080p videos

If that's all you do, you can buy literally any laptop. I'd pick some really cheap one and slap an ssd on it.

>connect pci usb hub
>starts up pc
>all devices connected turn on for a brief second
>turn off and stay non responsive
>not accesible in the OS
>hotplugging does nothing
>restart PC
>first 2 seconds devices like mouse/speaker/keyboard turn on and then off

WHYYY

>Nothing wrong with AMD drivers on linux.
If only.

I do some matlabbing too but anything heavy would be handled at toil
Where should I look for good quality:cost ratios?

Should I apply for a job i'm clearly not qualified for?
The job listing says they're looking for an IT team leader who will be in charge of 7 other people.
I don't have any job experience in IT, but i did graduate from university

>Nothing wrong with AMD drivers on linux.
kekd

this is a printer question

my printer (hp deskjet920c) uses a black 15 ink cartridge which I can't seem to find stocked in any nearby stores (it's an old printer, guessing it's discontinued or something)

can I just use a black 21 cartridge or something else instead?

How do you create a bookmark in a pdf with libreoffice writer? I'm editing an existing pdf.
Bookmark I mean like those fast navigation links that appear in the pdf menu on the left, like chapters, credits etc.

freenas requires 8gb of ram. do you know a less heavy solution? maybe something working with 1-2gb of memory max?

Put any normal linux distro on it and set it up the same way

How do you create bookmarks like these in a pdf with libreoffice draw? I'm editing an existing pdf that has no bookmarks.

Attached: bookmarks.png (347x273, 7K)

Why did older pirated games tend to break everything up into like 20 .rar files? Is it easier to torrent tons of smaller files?

Some groups used to release the files through sites like megaupload, which had file size limits. With torrents it makes no difference really, whether they're split or not, it may be convenient if you wanted to burn the files to a disc though, like cd or dvd for backup.

Hi anons, I'm trying to stop windows 7 intermittently deleting thumbnail cache in file explorer.
The whole point is that folders open quicker, people seem obsessed with deleting the cache, I really don't get that thought process.
There is a fix go on properties in the explorer folder and disable SYSTEM control of deleting thumbnails. Problem is that I don't even have SYSTEM listed in the security>advanced tab. Any other way to do this that anyone knows of please?

It's a relic from the scene rules groups have to adhere when releasing their stuff in newsgroups.
The torrents you get are usually a reupload which keep the originals in tact.
3) Release Size:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3.1) Allowed split volume sizes are:
- 1,444,000 bytes
- 2,888,000 bytes
- 5,000,000 bytes
- 10,000,000 bytes
- 50,000,000 bytes

In the following paragraphs, utils make up for the majority of the releases in
the 0day scene, namely all applications, shareware games, etc. When we talk of
games, we mean the game-rip scene that releases ripped versions of store-bought
games.

3.2) The utils disk limit is as of now 70 x 5,000,000 bytes or 35 x 10,000,000
bytes. This equates to a total of 350,000,000 bytes of compressed data. Volumes
of 1,444,000 and 2,888,000 bytes are allowed, as long as the release does not
exceed 99 disks. Oversize releases are allowed when no valid ISO release exists
and the group (or an iso group they work with) is not in possession of the iso
to release. In other words, there is NO size limit for 0day apps, except when a
valid (not nuked) iso exists!

3.3) The games disk limit is as of now 80 x 5,000,000 bytes or 40 x 10,000,000
bytes (or comparable for 1,444,000 and 2,888,000 bytes). This equates to a
total of 400,000,000 bytes of compressed data. Volumes of 1,444,000 and
2,888,000 bytes are allowed, as long as the release does not exceed 99 disks.

Any release must have less than 100 volumes. In case 10,000,000 bytes do not
suffice, you are allowed to use volumes of larger size; up to 50,000,000 bytes.

I've been doing software development for about 5 years (since graduating college). I think I'm pretty competent, but I never really do any side projects or development at home. Any tips on finding something to work on?

Selling something to someone on eBay and then going direct for further sales wouldn't be detected by eBay or anything to get me banned, right? eBay and PayPal are separate companies now and I doubt they'd ever catch it even if they were still the same?
Some dude has his own website for his buy/sell business with good reviews, would be nicer to just sell direct if I want to sell another of the same thing without eBay fees. Probably just being paranoid, but not sure if there's some automated system or something PayPal has to see one sale to a person was through eBay and the next wasn't.

I never heard about this, though have to say I wasn't much into the scene back in those years. Many download sites still do that, but that's because they use free file hosts with capped filesize as mentioned above, sites like rapidshare were targeted and shut down for being used as file hosts for unauthorized downloads in facts.

Yes, some sites or people still upload those, but if you have a reliable source you should still get the original split up files in those, even with 1GB parts.

Brainlet here, i cloned my old hdd with ddrescue, however i don't see any files in the new copy, is it because my old hdd was fat32 and the new one is ntfs, did i fuck up?
Or i have to use a recovery software for that kind of conversion? I didn't see anything on google against fat32 to ntfs cloning except the opposite.

Attached: 1520365054155.jpg (960x960, 79K)

is it acceptable to run a laptop as a ghetto-desktop-replacement with NO battery (like, no battery in it) ? it gets power and works but im not sure if its suppose to be run this way for long periods of time

>What is Windows Server's alternative to SSH?
RDP (Terminal Services)
>What is Windows Server's alternative to the CUPS printing service?
i'm not sure if the windows printing system has a name besides just "windows printing service"

Yes as long its not overheating, so try to keep it under 60°C.

>i cloned my old hdd with ddrescue, however i don't see any files in the new copy, is it because my old hdd was fat32 and the new one is ntfs

Attached: 1358667167651.gif (267x200, 284K)

no, you can't activate evaluation copies
just find the msdn iso name, torrent it, and check it's hash
for example;
- look up "windows 10 ltsb n 2016"
- iso is called "en_windows_10_enterprise_2016_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_9057894.iso"
- torrent something with that in it
- generate a sha1sum of it (both to ensure it's uncorrupted and unmodified), it's "b5d4911bd53ec5029781ade0937dad43c4ed90f6"
- look that up, if it matches, then you're good

i'm not sure how old your information is, but amd is the way to go unless you need nvidia-specific stuff like CUDA
the free amd drivers have good performance, and none of the drawbacks of non-standard non-free drivers

methods besides torrents (DDL sites, DDC, DC, Gnutella, etc, etc) had either size limits and/or benefited from multi-peering only by having many smaller files instead of one larger one
torrents killed off this practice, eventually, as it has all the advantages natively, even when downloading a single file
there's no reason to split something up when using torrents

user, that doesn't make sense. try again and be more specific about what you actually did and what you are trying to do

Is it possible for a PSU to lose power so the PC shuts down when paired with a GTX 970 yet it works just fine with a HD 6850 that uses less power? Or is it more likely a problem of the 970?

I want to do something very retarded with Strings in C, but I need to know exactly how C handles them, like how do they know where it ends and shit.

Any place I can read in-depth strings in C?

Yes, shitty or damaged PSUs do that when they get old.

is a 4 y/o corsair hx650 that bad?

What program am I supposed to use to record what is on my computer screen and make it into a webm?

>Corsair
Yes.

Still, does it shutdown while you are using the GPU, while its idle or when booting?

i want to use my old macbook running gnu/linux as a testing machine for my friends via teamviewer (or a similar remote control program), i don't mind filling it with viruses because it only takes about 10 minutes to reinstall an os but i do mind it doing anything to my other machines (spreading viruses, accessing their files, etc). What can i do to prevent this?

6850 doesn't use a terribly lower amount than a 970. It's like 50W. I have a 970 running on a 380W OEM PSU.

obs + ffmpeg
or ffmpeg on it's own if you're hardcore

i'm not sure i understand the question, but usb 2 has white on the inside and usb 3 has blue on the inside.

Recording program of your choice + webm for retards

Attached: file.png (800x566, 488K)

I like programming but I think making HTMLshit is boring and convoluted as fuck.

Should I go front end or back end?

Found an alternative solution with jpdfbookmarks-2.5.2 it just werks.

html isnt programming but it is required for front-end

learn javascript

the shutdowns occur when under load, especially when playing games, but sometimes when browsing with multiple tabs and watching videos, I'm trying with the 6850 and still a shutdown hasn't ocurred with games or browsing, maybe I should run some benchmarks to push it hard to be certain it's not the psu I guess

hey anons, i've been searching for an app mention around here few weeks ago, it works by syncing your android phone files with your PC,as you install it on both devices, but it's not botnet

Anyone else using Windows 7 here experiencing terrible performance after updating? I assume it has something to do with the Meltdown and Spectre patches. I did a clean install recently and my system performs like ass. It's fine at first but after about 24 hours opening programs takes forever (though they're fine once they're open). Shutting the system down also takes over a minute whereas it used to take 2-3 seconds on my last install.

I was watching a youtube video and noticed there a lone white pixel on the screen. Initially I thought it was my monitor, but it moved with the page upon scrolling. It disappeared a few moments later. Is this GPU-related?

Attached: 1512765893075.jpg (304x316, 20K)

Is it feasible to run VMs directly off of external hard drives, or too laggy/buggy/prone to problems?

Scrolling says it would probably be something software related, unless it was something funky like your GPU's hardware video decoder. (was it on the video?)
I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

most keyboards have these LED indicators for capslock, scrolllock and numlock states, how do these indicators operate?
is it entirely in the keyboard's hardware or the os also plays a part in this? ie. which of these is more accurate:
1. keyboard registers numlock press, so it sends the appropriate signal to the computer; the computer then processes the signal, recognizes it means "numlock depressed" and therefore sends a signal to the keyboard, instructing it to light up the numlock indicator
2. the keyboard registers the numlock keypress and instantly toggles the LED state, then proceeds with sending the signal to the computer

keyboards have their own logic boards that handle caps, scroll lock, etc. if you feel like confirming this just plug your keyboard into a phone wall-usb charger - it should operate the same as being plugged in the computer (in terms of lights designating what mode its in)

Is there a way to disable Microsoft Edge from prompting me to sign into my microsoft account to download a file from the browser?

wat
you realize sata and usb are two completely different things, right?

forgot to mention, it's a ps/2 keyboard so i can't just plug it into a wall charger
but i believe you, because why would someone lie about that, thanks user
also, the os can still control the indicator lights, right? otherwise you could enable capslock, then disconnect the keyboard so the light goes off and reconnect it, making the os think capslock is enabled and the keyboard indicator turned off
i guess the os instructs the keyboard to light up specified indicators upon connection?

thank you

>also, the os can still control the indicator lights, right? otherwise you could enable capslock, then disconnect the keyboard so the light goes off and reconnect it, making the os think capslock is enabled and the keyboard indicator turned off

wouldnt this just mean that power-cycling the keyboard causes it to reset all states back to whatever they originally were.

im not following your logic on how that would prove the OS is doing anything