VCR/VHS

What is the best VCR to get?
I got three boxes full of VHS tapes and I'm trying to find a good VCR I hear that Sony is the best at making them but I'm not too sure

Attached: a1b1a1924134478614bb6453c582240a.jpg (500x379, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o
av-iq.com/avcat/images/documents/pdfs/tt189 - 4611.pdf
youtu.be/fT4lDU-QLUY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I used to have a Panasonic that handled like a champ.

I have a pic related its pretty good.

Attached: serveimage(2).jpg (1600x1200, 215K)

I heard 4 head VCR's are nothing special other than the speed of the rewind and fast forward

Got an 1980s era Zenith. Still works. Dunno where the remote is though (somewhere in the house though)

>What is the best VCR to get?
I'd worry far more about how a display handles 480i upscaling. Consumer vcr are all about the same if you're talking about the higher end models.

this reviews a handful

i'd imagine any 90's vcr with a clean head will do 99% as well as any other
and don't worry about doing s-video or whatever, composite is plenty for VHS

yea, they give a clearer picture when rewinding/fastforwarding, but you don't need more than 2 during playback

betamax or gtfo

betamax a shit

bump

Top teir VCRs have HiFi (Stereo) output, are SVHS VCRs which can also play standard VHS, have S-Video output, and come with a built in Line TBC and the less important Image Stabilizer. You can expect to pay $200-$100 on ebay as they are sought after and were more rare than the million of crap VCRs that sold for $100 back in the day.

The TBC is the absolute best way to improve any VHS picture. They also sell full frame TBC that are external and will treat the video after it left the VCR.

Attached: EFmLc08.jpg (1430x640, 65K)

I believe they have a slight advantage when recording in the really slow modes (LP / SLP)

It's important to keep in mind that although SVHS players have S-Video out, it only makes a difference when playing SVHS tapes. Standard VHS tapes record a composite video signal, so that's all you'll get - separating the luma/chroma after the fact won't change anything.

The luma and chroma are stored separately via color under on VHS. Just on SVHS the gap between the luma and chroma is bigger and the luma bandwidth is bigger too. Other than that VHS and SVHS store video the same way.

Attached: EESfaA6.jpg (4640x2610, 1.32M)

Source
av-iq.com/avcat/images/documents/pdfs/tt189 - 4611.pdf

One more thing, if you're using composite high quality cables do make visible difference.

Get laserdisc

Panasonic sells a VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray combo.
1080p HDMI and component video. Good luck trying to buy one of these fuckers, only collectors get 'em.

Attached: blurayvhscombo.jpg (600x600, 19K)

Digital-VHS (originally called a "data" vhs) (DVHS) can output 1080i. Some players supported HDMI out.
Thank me later you bitch ass nigga.

This looks sexy

Here is a video sample of DVHS.
youtu.be/fT4lDU-QLUY

Other than the novelty of having a VHS Bluray player, you are not going to get better results with that. Especially when you really want a TBC. I've seen people capture SD VHS video over HDMI with average results.

Attached: SD App.png (355x220, 8K)

While DVHS VCRs are certainly on par or even better than SVHS VCRs, it's not going magically turn your VHS into perfect 1080i video. It's still going to be a 240 line (per field) video signal, that may just be hardware upscaled to 1080i.

If it was not for the fact that DVHS had VHS in the name (people did not think VHS was futuristic) and that it was infused with heavy DRM that prevented certain TV recordings, it could of been an affordable way to record HDTV video on standard VHS before DVRs came down in price. A standard VHS could hold 25GB of data in the early 2000s, which would of been compressed with MPEG2 or H.264. I do cry for the demise of DVHS.

Attached: steaks.png (1362x982, 433K)

Fuck off you fucking retarded faggot. That shit doesn't use scan-lines, you clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about. It runs a native 720p (aka 1080 interlaced), and it had native capability to run resolutions higher than that with specialized hardware.

OP is talking about VHS, DVHS can play standard analog VHS over composite and probably over HDMI. In either case it's still going to be a 240 field video.

DVHS also supports 720p and 1080i which I talked about and was why it was developed, but that has nothing to do with standard analog VHS.

> It runs a native 720p (aka 1080 interlaced)
This is some amazing logic gymnastics.

Also it does not have a native resolution but simply supported 1920x1080, 1280x720, and 720x480.

>and it had native capability to run resolutions higher than that with specialized hardware.
Never heard this and not sure why it would strive to get beyond 1920x1080 when HDTV was so new in the 2000s.

Attached: 38d.jpg (400x505, 29K)

1. walk into goodwill
2. hand cashier $5
3. open and clean heads with q-tip/alcohol
???

Use q-tips on the video head if you wish to destroy it. Use microfiber cloth or chamois sticks with 91% alcohol or higher.

Follow this handy guide, this man knows his VCR's

Attached: 1521544879048.gif (400x398, 816K)

>microfiber cloth
I mean the microfiber cloth used for cleaning you eye glasses or camera lens. It should be a flat cloth.

I bet your one of those guys that wears a ground strap when he opens his pc

I normally either just ground myself on my metal desk or on the metal frame of the computer. I have shocked my boot HDD by touching it while it was running, freezing my computer until restart. So I am normally thoughtful of shocking stuff.

Attached: 1496442266060.jpg (1426x900, 248K)

>It runs a native 720p (aka 1080 interlaced)
uwot

Anything that eats through Macrovision like a champ. What a needless pain in the fucking ass it is to this day.

I'd recommend Panasonic. They made some really decent quality tape transports / cassette mechanisms that held up well over time. Probably something mid 1990s to early 2000s with VHS Hi-Fi stereo sound if possible.

Sony players aren't half bad either. I'm using a Sony SLV-EZ77 from around 2002 and the picture quality from cassette is excellent.

Some older machines may give you problems unless you're able to service and maintain them. I bought a 1984 National NV-850 VHS Hi-Fi and while it is a decent quality unit, the capstan and pinch roller both need cleaning or replacement as it has a tendency to eat tapes at random.

And avoid the shit-tier manufacturers. Not even just the generic brand cheap and variety store specials, but even some of the more common budget appliance makers. I had a Mitsubishi VCR with a mechanism made almost exclusively from Delrin. Every VCR has plastic components of some form, but even the arms and tape carrier were plastic. Even the case lid, which is normally made of sheet metal on better machines. Piece of shit started cracking, stripping gears and falling apart. It looked nice, but overall I'd avoid these.

Panasonic was pretty well know for having VCRs full of capacitors that after a decade or two started leaking and then eventually caused the machine to fail. Only way to fix it is to completely replace all the capacitors. It's not that they put a bunch of shit capacitors in their machines, it's just that they put a lot more than average and so it's simply more likely one of the capacitors will fail a possibly kill the machine until it's replaced.

Attached: Untitled_3.png (419x585, 297K)

How many times do I have to play a Blu-Ray disc before I get that hipster effect where the video looks like shit? I'm only asking because I was born right after VHS died, so I don't have a frame of reference.

Probably won't even wear out a pressed bluray. Maybe boiling it might destroy it enough to give out errors, or you might just completely destroy it idk. But you won't ever get the same effect of VHS.

Attached: ZglYH9tqU8-EWAei1-KYXQ8qdYBIDfDQuNcEoLU8Z8g.jpg (587x768, 90K)

digital formats don't visually degrade little by little like analog formats do
with a VHS the picture gets a little shittier every time you play it, or the older it gets
a bluray will be completely the same unless the disc sustains enough damage to overcome it's ECC, at which point it will quickly turn into either garbage or not play at all. note that repeated playback does not degrade the disc, only manufacturing defects (such as disc rot) and mishandling (such as scratches)