Graduated top of my class in computer science

>graduated top of my class in computer science
>cant get a job cause I sperg out in interviews

Why don't they teach social skills in CS? That'd be way more useful than some stupid programming ethics course.

Attached: 1471396411730.png (790x773, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Welcome to the real world, now you know why idiots find themselves in senior positions

The real enemy is psychology-grads filled HR departments.

>Why don't they teach social skills in CS?

Because you were supposed to have learned them before you reached high school.

If you didn't have them, you were supposed to take the remedial classes the university offered; why do you think your school offered "ballroom dancing" and other group interaction based classes? They weren't just there for grade padding; they were there to teach social skills to foreign students, and other people who were not properly socialized in the US.

Handling yourself in a professional environment has nothing to do with social skills idiot.

Insults are not nice

faggot

Target small businesses user. Usually what ends up happening is the competent developers end up in a position of power because the company doesn't know who else to put there.

They also have no social skills, so you will connect with them easier than some HR retard.

ABET accreditation changed their demands for exactly this reason.
In the meantime, join Toastmasters.

I used to think HR departments were the problem, until I was finally in a position to hire someone, and I asked HR to give me the information on the people who applied without filtering it.

The only thing I can think of is that there must be hundreds of organizations that exist to "help" people who are homeless or just got out of prison to get back into the workforce. There were thousands of applications from people who were in no way qualified, all with sob stories attached, about how they knew they weren't qualified, but had to apply anyway to keep their benefits / keep their parole active / stay in their interim housing / etc.

It was impossible to deal with, and now I understand the need for that filter, even if some qualified applicants end up in the trash as well.

it actually does. t. 31 year old working for 10 years.

you know most universities as a matter of fact DO offer some kind of interview skills workshops and resume help

it's not their fault you didn't take it

people who get teaching jobs are good with people
people who are good with people don't understand how someone can be bad with people

try it when you're disabled and see how far you get

Head hunters are cheaper than an HR dept and will do a better job, user.

People who get teaching jobs suck at what they teach because the people who are good at it get jobs doing it, not teaching it. Teachers are good-for-nothings.

Why not go to grad school? You can be as autistic as you want in academia.

>graduated from a no-name midwestern university in csci
>graduate with 2.7 GPA
>graduate with about 1 years intern experience
>get a job offer for $65,000 in a lower COL area I want to live in

feels good man

>why do you think your school offered "ballroom dancing" and other group interaction based classes? They weren't just there for grade padding; they were there to teach social skills to foreign students, and other people who were not properly socialized in the US.
Is that actually the point of those classes? So you're saying if I sign up for those it will cure my autism?

Uni is not job training you fucktard

No you idiot the point of those classes is to scam students out of more tuition money.

Its not a guarantee but youll be forced to do it if you want a good grade and will help you overcome your BUT WHAT IF flight response

Just drink some alcohol to get loose and more comfortable with yourself, just make sure your breath doesn't smell. Or just take some Addy and let the magic of drugs guide your conversation

Then why do I need it to get a job

Attached: 1495123428921.png (204x248, 6K)

Why's it so expensive then?

In theory, in reality it presents itself as such, implies it is, is perceived as such

but it's not actually job training and you don't NEED it to do your job :^)

Because you need to be educated to do a job. Youre there to learn not be rote instructed like a fucking burger flipper.

Because every dipshit on the planet thinks they HAVE to get an english degree and it massively inflated infrastructure costs. Also greed and demand.

No in reality they teach you some basic job skills like "this is unit testing" and "heres how to use git", if your uni is still providing non theory classes or codemonkey practice past lower division then Ive got some bad news.

>Because every dipshit on the planet thinks they HAVE to get a english degree

in reality it presents itself as such, implies it is, is perceived as such

but it's not actually job training and you don't NEED it to do your job :^)

Just talk like you know what you are saying and you'll be fine. If you are good on the technical side, just talk outloud about what you are thinking as you do it. I landed a job recently (6.5% raise from my current job) and basically pair programmed with the interviewer and was honest about what I was getting hung up on.

Maybe 1 in a thousand can get away without having a formal education, you can learn all this shit just by reading textbooks after all. So youre right you pedantic fucktard, you dont "need" it. But YOU sure as fuck need it.

>is actually worth zero dollars
>is in reality billed at hundreds of thousands of dollars
>because of "demand"
What's the logic in that?

Not my choice; HR decided that they had to be used, not external headhunters.

congrats, you just described diamonds

Supply and demand. People will pay a lot of money if they think they need something even if its garbage.
See: Precious stones, Gold, Abstract Art, Wagyu Beef (not bad just massively overrated), gigantic TVs

That's not logical.

Attached: what the shit.jpg (363x272, 23K)

The foundation of every modern economy

Humans arent logical.

I never even get interviews because I don't have a degree so you're one step ahead of me.

OP makes a valid point. Since CS is filled with autists they are actually failing to prepare them for work by not helping them with job, interview, and social skills. Can we do what the SJWs do and claim they are making us "unsafe"?

Hail, brother.

Attached: Resume00.png (806x2092, 144K)

When you pay trash the only applications you get are trash. Kill yourself attention whoring tripfag.

>gold
>precious metals
>garbage
They have been universally considered valuable for all human history, certainly less garbage than money which is only considered valuable because the government says so.

World is full of trash, regardless of what you pay.

Attached: MostPeopleAreStupid.png (1241x1252, 157K)

Theyre only considered valuable because we like shiny bullshit, they serve little to no practical value, which is my entire point. People will consider useless shit valuanle.
You dumb fuck.

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post.
Luckily, the users of Jow Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up!
You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops!
You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my part to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

IQ is dropping since niggers are considered people.

Interviews are retarded.

Fuck all your accolades, experience, and education. You don't answer this arbitrary question in the exact way I was expecting? Thanks for applying we've moved forwardvwith another candidate. (An unskilled, unexperienced retard)

Attached: FizzBuzzed.png (1848x2018, 391K)

Dont get your point tripfag

t entitled brainlet
Nobody expects you to nail every single whiteboard question, theyre asking you to test your critical thinking. You being a crybaby tells them youre not gunna cut it in production when faced with a new unexpected problem.

Newbie here, exactly why is something like FizzBuzz a screening criteria.
Surely you must be hiring for positions that are much more intensive.

The world is flooded with totally clueless people. Example: To cut down on wasted time, an extremely simple question is posed to the candidate. It will only take 1 minute to determine if the candidate is completely clueless, or not.

99.5% of "programming job candidates" do not pass FizzBuzz.

Yeah, i must just be stupid right

Tell me why Giant Bomb hired Abby Russel again.

So many people are hiring based on personality and ideals over experience or knowhow and if you think "lol ur just unqualified or dum" you are obscenely stupid.

You're a brain dead moron

sounds like you couldn't manage a solution to FizzBuzz

Sounds likr you're so narrow minded you think everyone is talking about programming jobs

Getting a job is more than just answering a question correctly. You could nail every technical question but if youre a condescending ass in the interview then youre getting dropped from the pool. People skills matter, not everybody on a team has to be the grand wizard of programming.

Easy for you because you didn't lie on your resume. For others though...

OP mentioned CS which always requires at the very least rudimentary programming.

>>Why didnt they teach social skills
The cs program i'm in (virginia tech, ranked somewhere in the ~40s) make you take a public speaking course and a professionalism course. DId your program not have that?

>Jow Forums - """"""technology"""""""

Somewhat reassuring that people you will compete with will includes loads of clueless I apply to everything types.
Is that a regular thing?
>I literally know nothing relating to or within this posting but I'll apply anyway!

>you must be a condescending asshole
Another retarded assumption.

What you people dont get is that a lot of people are qualified and capable of a job, but instead of drawing from a hat they decide based on arbitrary questions that have nothing to do with the job.

If you think every hire ever made is the best choice/candidate you are a very naive, ignorant child.

The way you assume the worst of yhe person you are speaking to instead of empathizing shows why you are incapable if getting a good job or woman or 'any friends.

>Youre there to learn not be rote instructed like a fucking burger flipper.
If you can't learn anything but the most basic shit yourself the you won't be in uni either

Most people who claim to be "programmers" can't program
blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/

Attached: hired.png (410x777, 43K)

I don't think that's the point of those classes. They're the weird bunch of people who got PhD's in dance and Universities wanna offer them to student. The information you gave is viable, it makes sense to come to that conclusion.

if everyone is so badass then show me your fizzbuzz without being a cheating bitch

Attached: 1479361227443.jpg (768x432, 18K)

>tuition money
lel
You know what cures social awkwardness?
Being neutral to and about yourself and about others instead of being negative or positive