Hard 'G' or Soft 'G'?

Okay, Jow Forums, let's end this battle once and for all.
The pronunciation of .GIF :
Hard "G" or Soft "G"

Attached: jif.gif (640x362, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MSJaSS_Zj0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=I5cYgRnfFDA
thefreedictionary.com/words-that-start-with-gif
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>yif

It's Graphics Interchange Format, not Jraphics Interchange Format.

yiff

Swap between them each time I say it to make sure I trigger as many autists as possible

its pronounced jif, all these newfags calling it gif need to fucking die

rhif

hif

How do you pronounce git? The same as gif or differently?

jit

khiff

There's no battle to begin with.

Attached: chooseygf.gif (884x1784, 154K)

>png is pronounced ping
what the fuck

i always call it P-N-G

>wav
>sounds like wave but has no e
>silence e in wave anyways
>wave isn't pronounced wavey
holy fucking shit what the flying literal fuck

OwO

UwU senpai~~

I dont give a shit what the dev says it's graphics interlace format

the pronunciation of an acronym isn't necessarily the result of the sound of the first letter of each word.

Jeff

furfags please go.

>my naym GIF

hard G, but if you want to say it with a soft g that's ok.

>joint photographic experts group
>joy-fegg

Make me

Jithub

soypeg

It's hard G you retard. You wouldn't say "nijjer" would you?

>storing images in graphics interchange format (gif)
>not using superior animated patrician network graphics (png)

this the only right awnser, I always use the opposite of what the other is calling it.

Sure I would.

Attached: 896px-Flag_of_Niger.svg.png (896x768, 9K)

Jow Forums - hipsters

I pronounce it as SHit.

GUYF

G if I am talking Norwegian
J if I am talking English

GIF, G like in 'Gay'

I always say pingnail.

GAYF?

CHAFE?

0w0

Why?

Okay, GIF with G like it gnome. Or guano. Or Gabe. Or in gigahertz

I'm okay with this

joy fag w/ chicago accent

It's Graphics not Jraphics.

>You have to call it jif and not gif because the inventor gets to decide.
Meanwhile he gets to rewrite english pronunciation rules that predate him.

It's pronounced "back2reddt".

Easy, ThioJoe will explain it to you.

youtube.com/watch?v=MSJaSS_Zj0Y

Which rule is that, exactly?
Do you mean to imply that soft G simply doesn't exist?

see

It should be pronounced with a hard G but that argument is stupid. By its logic we should be pronouncing JPEG "jay feg"

>Giraffics Interchange Format

Attached: 1505934107936.jpg (320x320, 10K)

We've had this thread before.

Attached: gif_proper(1).png (540x337, 82K)

It's pronounced xif

its jif as in jurrafics interchange format.
only a retard cant figure this out.

Following that logic, GPS is pronounced with a hard g (GUPS) since the G stands for "Global".

Are you retarded? Nobody pronounces GPS like a word. Everyone says G-P-S, the letters. Even if you were to pronounce it, it would be 'gips' anyway.

Inventing a format does not make you a linguist. "jif" is objectively wrong.

>Jups

Solus

So retarded.

>End the battle
Okay. Both are acceptable. See: prefix giga-
>Gigabyte; Hard G
>Gigawatts; youtube.com/watch?v=I5cYgRnfFDA

pa-nugh

autism

The smuggest use of italics in the history of the internet

Attached: Capture.png (367x21, 2K)

Soft "g", as in "go fuck yourself, stop spamming these shitty threads everyday."

Why do people feel the need to make language more difficult just so they can seem smart? Most people pronounce it with a hard G. Why correct everyone who uses the common pronunciation? You're not going to get everyone in the world to pronounce it your autistic way. The best you can hope for is a 50-50 split where everybody is embarrassed no matter which way they pronounce it. Calm down, take your autism medication and let people have a common pronunciation.

Jiff sounds better anyways. I feel sorry for people who say giff and don't know they are mentally handicapped.

>when you find out what if the correct pronunciation of GIF the format is already obsolete

Hard G. Anything else is retarded.

I pronounce the gif the way that I pronounce other similar words
thefreedictionary.com/words-that-start-with-gif

But then it would be like a weird greeting at gay weddings

this was settled years ago
the creators explicitly said hard g like jif
any google search on this topic will give you this information.

>GUI
>Gooey

Attached: 28166464_1446854845440245_1822431422384773403_n.jpg (540x960, 53K)

jay weed-eye-ngs?

Gee-Pee-Ess

Jah-Lah-Pen-Nose
Bah-Log-Nah
Chi-Pottle
Sham-Pag-Neigh

I say with a hard G but mostly because it's easier to say it like that in my language

Gif(t) is official and correct. The creator of gif is an illiterate neckbeard. If he wanted it to be pronounced as jif he should've named it .jif. "jumping image format" would be fine.
>Cambridge Dictionary of American English offers only the hard-"G" pronunciation.Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and theOEDcite both pronunciations, but place "gif" in the default position ("\ˈgif, ˈjif\").

Following your logic, gif is pronounced gee eye eff. Which it isn't. If GPS weren't pronounced letter by letter, the correct way to pronounce it would be gips, not jips.

Why even have this discussion when gif is shit anyway?

wav is pronounced like wauw dumbass

Doesn't matter. It's a terrible format and it's ancient as fuck. There are at least 20 better alternatives

>slash giiiiiii

Attached: (Hi10)_Dragon_Ball_Z_Kai_-_081_(BD_720p)_(bj79).mkv_snapshot_08.01_[2016.08.21_20.55.44].jpg (960x720, 83K)

There's nothing closer to "gif" than "gift", so that pretty much guides the reader how to say it. It doesn't really matter if other words like "gesture" use a different G. Not to mention what the G in gif even stands for. The only reason to say jif in the first place is because someone somewhere wants it. I don't see why I should change for them.

Language evolves.
People say gif with G and that's now one of the ways to pronounce it.
In English at least.

Is this a Website and the blue underlined texts are links that would point to proof if i would trying to click in them?
Because currently I cant click on them.

The g in gnome is silent

it's pronounced ghif in my language so i want it to be pronounced jif in english so i could pretend to be smart by being the only person pronouncing it the original way.

Literally nobody cares, language is not immutable, it changes, nobody pronounces the word knock like it was intended to be pronounced, the world has choosen a hard g for .gif and no amount of foot stamping by the creator will change that

He meant the g in Gnome

excuse me but the world has chosen a soft g for .gif and no amount of foot stamping by people who are wrong will change it

Attached: Have_fun.png (247x266, 85K)

JPEG, SCUBA and LASER would be a different pronunciation if the words influenced in the pronunciation.
Which they don't. Do you pronounce JPHEG? because the P stands for Photographic.
Or does the A in LASER is pronounced the same as Amplification? Which is what it stands for.

Acronmyns are their own self-contained words. It doesn't matter the pronunciation of the words that makes them.

Gi ai ef

Oops, I guess that people can't argue against facts.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally

The issue is that people use gif as a word, not something short of anything. If the same applied to JPEG it would be pronounced ypeg, or J-Peg, and not Jay-Peg.

blif

It's kind of you to use it's preferred pronouns user that's why

I say griph because the first word sounds like gr...grraaaa....graphics. grif

Based

gift with no t
gif