I was cutting this battery looking thing from a cheap portable charger and it made a huge spark and started fizzing...

I was cutting this battery looking thing from a cheap portable charger and it made a huge spark and started fizzing. I got scared and threw it out of a window into my front yard. Any idea what could’ve happened if I kept it here?

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 1.5M)

dunno, maybe shove it up your ass and see what happens?

it would have called you a fat lipped nigger

Hmmm i tried that but not much happened :/

Attached: 1508686720792.webm (426x240, 602K)

Why would you cut the battery?

I've tried with macbook cells - didn't worked.

If it's not on fire already you're probably safe.

Where are the contacts on 18650s? I always hear stories of people accidentally shorting them.

>I was cutting this battery

The start to every great story...

It's pretty rare for them to fail in that manner, a lot goes into the design so that thermal runaway is often contained.

at the ends, basically the same as AAA/AA/C/D cells
note that as with those cells, the negative terminal covers the entire shell, so while normally only the ends are exposed, if you remove the plastic cover, then it's easy to short positive and negative

Attached: a.png (640x480, 13K)

For some batteries the outer casing is connected to negative hance why all are covered in plastic. Theorically just shorting the nipple and the casing is sufficient

that is not a battery op, it's a vibrator. the pink color gives it away

>battery looking thing
it's literally a battery cell, there's no components inside of it
if you're after a replacement, look up "18650" on ebay or whatever

he probably shoved a knife under the plastic cover on the positive side like a retard

>unstable chemicals + oxygen
>wonders why it catches fire
wew lad

>so that thermal runaway is often contained
You don't know anything about batteries, shut your fucking mouth. When thermal runaway (which is not a thing that can be contained, it's a thing that happens) is "contained", the build-up of gasses that are created during the chemical reactions caused by damage (like stabbing) cause pressure to be built-up inside the cell which lead the cell to explode. To combat thermal runaway damaged cells need to be able to vent, so the gasses can be released without building up pressure. The OPPOSITE of containment! YOU FUCKING RETARD. NOW GO STICK BARE LITHIUM UP YOUR ASS.

>the build-up of gasses that are created during the chemical reactions caused by damage (like stabbing) cause pressure to be built-up inside the cell which lead the cell to explode. To combat thermal runaway damaged cells need to be able to vent, so the gasses can be released without building up pressure.
Do you not see the problem with your own statement?

keep in mind that 'stabbing' doesn't necessarily mean 'puncturing'

I don't, enlighten me.

Okay, fair enough.
Fact of the matter, though, is that I probably should have used a more specific word than contained. When you stab or puncture a Li-ion cell with something metal, or just short it in some way, it will pretty much always heat up in some way as it is now shorted internally. They are designed to usually bleed off this heat without catching fire, it's a controlled failure mode like expanding is as gas is produced.
For every video you see of one bursting into flames when punctured on Youtube there's 10 or more other attempts where they hammer a nail right through the battery and it doesn't even expand.
Flames are uncommon.